Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Host refusing domain name/website access

• 15-10-2014 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭

Not sure if this the right place to post this, mods please move if not.

I've been hired to redesign a clients website and they want me to take care of the hosting etc. Problem is the company that is currently 'hosting' the website, Excel Web Solutions in Cork, has stopped taking my calls and wont answer emails. The domain is registered to Excel Web Solutions so they have complete control over it.

Is there anything I can do besides registering a new domain?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Check the domain registration details, see who is listed as the assorted contacts. Is it a .ie .com .something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭sketchpad

Graham wrote: »
    Check the domain registration details, see who is listed as the assorted contacts. Is it a .ie .com .something else?

its a .net, I got a landline number for the owner from who.is and have left countless voice messages. A residential address is listed too, i think they work from there. Not too keen on a home visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What does your client say about that? Have they told the current hosting provider that their contract is to be terminated from X-date? Really the initial communication should have been from the client to them, not you, and the client should be resolving any difficulties because it's them who hold the power to not pay the last month's bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭sketchpad

What does your client say about that? Have they told the current hosting provider that their contract is to be terminated from X-date? Really the initial communication should have been from the client to them, not you, and the client should be resolving any difficulties because it's them who hold the power to not pay the last month's bill.

All that was sorted, the client contacted them and everything was fine. Excel told them to pass their number onto me and they'd look after forwarding the html files and domain authorisation code.
    I then spoke with the guy who basically said 'no problem, i'll send the files over tomorrow'
    Havent been able to get him since, thats over 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

There's nothing you can do but to defer back to your client. But, at the end of the day Excel own the domain - so you're between a rock ...and a rock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You'd need to get your client to resolve this for you.

Also see about getting the domain name updated to the client and not the provider.

Advertisement