Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth Ring Road

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

They're talking about it opening in 2019 and it being on the same site where MPPS/MCC are now. Seeing as that building needs to be rebuilt as it's no longer fit for purpose and the new buildings won't be completed until May 2019 I can't see that happening unless they utilise the existing buildings. There's no way they'd get a new building ready in 3 months for September opening.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/RoadsandTransportation/TrafficManagementPlans/Main%20Report%20-%20Feasibility%20Study%20and%20Assessments%20Report.pdf

Anyone else read this? It's long and detailed and some of the recommendations for the ring road include.... signalled junctions at the M4 interchange... that's right folks even more traffic lights

that's exactly what we need - more f*cking traffic lights.

and shared pedestrian/cycle path. When are they going to realise that these are unsafe for both cyclists and pedestrians which is why cyclists will ignore them and stay on the road. The ones from Maxol to the 67 terminus are the way they should be - segregated from both path and road. I use those ones - ignore the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

posted in the Maynoth Past - Present - Future facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/maynoothpastpresentfutrue/permalink/2086366274723871/
    Informative detailed Transport communication from
    Cllr John McGinley

Hi all,

The following is an update on the proposed Maynooth ring roads, and other road projects, that I got from the Council’s Director of Services today:

“Maynooth Northern Orbital Route

This section will link the Moyglare Road with the Dunboyne Road.

The Rathoath MD members approved the Part 8 for this section of the Outer Orbital Route, however subsequently a Judicial Review of this decision was lodged in the Courts. No date set yet for the hearing.

Representatives for the owners/developers of the land on the Meath side of the boundary have always maintained that they will build the entire section from the Moyglare Road to the Dunboyne Road if the Judicial Review is heard in Court and the Part 8 planning approval is not overturned.

Mycette Homes have already lodged their contribution to the cost of the Kildare section of this route with KCC.

Maynooth Eastern Orbital Route and Bridge (Section 1)

This section will link the Leixlip Road with the Celbridge Road and includes a bridge crossing the Royal Canal and the rail line.

The Minister for Housing Planning and Local Government has informed us that he is agreeable to signing a funding agreement with KCC under the Local Infrastructure Housing Activation Fund, (LIHAF). I am awaiting receipt of the funding agreement.

This will be a difficult project to deliver in parallel with a review of the Maynooth LAP, within the timeframe set by the Minister i.e. that the 800 residential units which are a central condition of the funding must be completed by the end of 2021.

Maynooth Eastern Orbital Route and Bridge (Section 2)

This section will link the Celbridge Road with the Straffan Road.

The owner/developer of the lands which contain this link received planning approval for a residential development including the road earlier this year.

However it is my understanding that the owner/developer intends seeking planning approval for a revised layout on site and therefore the timeframe for delivery of the road is unclear at this time.

Maynooth South Western Orbital Route and Bridge

This section links the Straffan Road with the Kilcock Road and includes a bridge over the Royal Canal and rail line.

No funds have been identified for this section of the Outer Orbital Route.

Maynooth North Western Orbital Route

This section links the Kilcock Road with the Moyglare Road.

I have had discussions with a land owner/developer and a representative from St Patricks in regard to planning how this section of the Orbital Route could be delivered.

Agreement has been reached between the land owner/developer and St Patricks in regard to the crossing of lands owned by St. Patricks.

The review of the Maynooth LAP is now awaited.

Moyglare Road to Dunboyne Road Inner Relief Street

This street will form part of a planning application which is due to be lodged in the near future. A number of pre-planning meetings have taken place including a pre-planning meeting with An Bord Pleanala as this planning application will be submitted directly to An Bord Pleanala.

Second Interchange on the M4

Discussions between KCC and TII are at a very early stage in regard to the possibility of securing a second interchange on the M4.

Maynooth North South Corridor Project

Phase 4 which covers the section from the Traffic Lights at the Glenroyal Hotel through the Harbour Field and up to the Garda Station in Leinster Street commenced 6th November and is due to be completed in late February 2018.

Phase 6 which covers the section from the traffic lights on the Moyglare Road at the Kilcock Road junction out to the new school will commence detailed design within the next few weeks. The commencement of construction of Phase 6 is dependent on NTA funding.

Phase 5 which covers the section from the traffic lights on the Moyglare Road at the Kilcock Road junction to Mill Street is dependent on NTA funding.”

Regards,

John

• Advertisement

Am I right in my understanding that nothing is actually happening on any sections of the ring road? Wow. All I see is more developers changing planning to squeeze in more houses...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Yeh. Whatever about Millerstown being on a flood plain, at least GarraReilly are building the link road from Maynooth side to Summerhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

lordgoat wrote: »
    Am I right in my understanding that nothing is actually happening on any sections of the ring road? Wow. All I see is more developers changing planning to squeeze in more houses...

Shocking there was a big dance over 6 months ago about funding been allocated for the black lion to celbridge section and not a thing has happened. Money is there and there seems to be a paralysis to spend it! The traffic in the town is beyond a joke

Shocking there was a big dance over 6 months ago about funding been allocated for the black lion to celbridge section and not a thing has happened. Money is there and there seems to be a paralysis to spend it! The traffic in the town is beyond a joke

Minister is willing to give the funding but he wants to see there will be actual gaffs there to support it. Like houses along the route. Last thing he wants is something that is thrown at him as a white elephant with no housing there and that could have been used elsewhere. Be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sounds like the countryside around the town is going to be destroyed for the sake of more pollution. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ixus wrote: »
    Minister is willing to give the funding but he wants to see there will be actual gaffs there to support it. Like houses along the route. Last thing he wants is something that is thrown at him as a white elephant with no housing there and that could have been used elsewhere. Be my guess.

I don't get that argument. There are loads of houses there already and lads of new estates (within last 5 years) on the route. It's like he's trying to fill in the gaps with houses and possibly levy the developers to contribute to he RR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Am i right in saying that the fields from Griffin Rath to Lidl will be built road on?

Am i right in saying that the fields from Griffin Rath to Lidl will be built road on?

Yes. Planning approved with builder gone back for adjustments is my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not aware they've gone back at all.

More critically importantly; the variation to the LAP required for KCC to draw down the state funding for the expensive and critical bit - the Celbridge Road to Dublin Road section - is going on public display on the 7th of May. Supportive comments may be required as its inevitable there'll be some loons against it despite it being planned since before I was born (and I'm not young, take a look at how long ago I registered here!) and utterly needed.

L1011 wrote: »
    Not aware they've gone back at all.

More critically importantly; the variation to the LAP required for KCC to draw down the state funding for the expensive and critical bit - the Celbridge Road to Dublin Road section - is going on public display on the 7th of May. Supportive comments may be required as its inevitable there'll be some loons against it despite it being planned since before I was born (and I'm not young, take a look at how long ago I registered here!) and utterly needed.

Same for me. I can remember hearing talk of the RR for a very very long time.

It's odd though for me the critical part would be getting the north campus/moyglare to the motorway but via the kilcock road. I think if you could turn left immediately after off the motorway and go all the way around beaufield/meadowbrook/ newtown court etc it would bring the largest benefit...

On the Celbridge to Dublin RD bit am sure a councillor said to me the Minister was looking for evidence that area was going to be developed soon to have funding go ahead. I.e they didn't want to be ploughing money into infrastructure that wasn't supporting rapid development.

That was 6 months ago or so.

With that in mind. May need a proper objection to Cairns citing poor infrastructure and the impacts on town without that link. Get a bit of media attention.Timing fits.

On the Celbridge to Dublin RD bit am sure a councillor said to me the Minister was looking for evidence that area was going to be developed soon to have funding go ahead. I.e they didn't want to be ploughing money into infrastructure that wasn't supporting rapid development.

That was 6 months ago or so.

The funding is available once the land is zoned; it currently isn't. The rezoning is what is going on display in May

Think there's a meeting in the Glenroyal at 8 tomorrow about town planning.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Think there's a meeting in the Glenroyal at 8 tomorrow about town planning.

There will be absolutely nothing at that meeting that hasn't already been discussed on here. And nothing will come from it either.

• Advertisement

I'm interested to see level of attendance and what is said.

Will it be hijacked by NIMBY on cairn homes or will there be an attempt to look forward constructively.

A mash of multiple agendas.

L1011 wrote: »
    There will be absolutely nothing at that meeting that hasn't already been discussed on here. And nothing will come from it either.

^^ this is very true. I don't know why some people feel the need to have a "Maynooth Planning Alliance" when there are already talking shops to discuss this.

I'm interested to see level of attendance and what is said.

Will it be hijacked by NIMBY on cairn homes or will there be an attempt to look forward constructively.

A mash of multiple agendas.

Knowing some of the people that are going I'd say the loudest will be the former.

Tender issued for the ground investigation for this. First real movement ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

Proposed Maynooth Eastern Ring Road: Kildare County Council will present the route options being considered for the proposed Maynooth Eastern Ring Road at a non-statutory public consultation to be held at:
    Glenroyal Hotel & Leisure Club, Clifden Suite, Straffan Road, Maynooth, Co. Kildare, W23 C2V1, on Wednesday 21 November 2018 from 2.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.
    The public are invited to comment on the route options being considered. Staff from the Roads, Transportation & Public Safety Department of Kildare County Council and from Roughan & O Donovan, Consulting Engineers, will be on hand to address any queries raised on the day.
    A copy of the route options being considered may be inspected from 10.00 a.m. Friday 16 November 2018 to 4.00 p.m. Thursday 20 December 2018 at the following locations:
    * Kildare County Council Offices, Level 2, Aras Chill Dara, Naas, Co. Kildare, W91 X77F (during office hours);
    * Maynooth Community Library, Main Street, Maynooth, Co. Kildare, W23 ND79 (during opening hours);
    * Maynooth Municipal District Office, Leinster Street, Maynooth, Co. Kildare, W23 H2T3 (during opening hours);

I'm told that the plans will also be available online for people who can't make it to any of the named locations during their opening hours. I'm not one to trust KCC so I'm also pushing some local councillors to make sure that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Liam28 wrote: »
    Proposed Maynooth Eastern Ring Road: Kildare County Council will present the route options being considered for the proposed Maynooth Eastern Ring Road at a non-statutory public consultation to be held at:
    Glenroyal Hotel & Leisure Club, Clifden Suite, Straffan Road, Maynooth, Co. Kildare, W23 C2V1, on Wednesday 21 November 2018 from 2.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.
    The public are invited to comment on the route options being considered. Staff from the Roads, Transportation & Public Safety Department of Kildare County Council and from Roughan & O Donovan, Consulting Engineers, will be on hand to address any queries raised on the day.
    A copy of the route options being considered may be inspected from 10.00 a.m. Friday 16 November 2018 to 4.00 p.m. Thursday 20 December 2018 at the following locations:
    * Kildare County Council Offices, Level 2, Aras Chill Dara, Naas, Co. Kildare, W91 X77F (during office hours);
    * Maynooth Community Library, Main Street, Maynooth, Co. Kildare, W23 ND79 (during opening hours);
    * Maynooth Municipal District Office, Leinster Street, Maynooth, Co. Kildare, W23 H2T3 (during opening hours);

Why don't they simply publish it online? Can anyone who attends take a photo of the routes if possible?

Why don't they simply publish it online? Can anyone who attends take a photo of the routes if possible?
    You'd think! This is how they did it in the 80's and this is how they still do it. Or maybe it is online, but hard to find?
    There is this page:
    http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/RoadsandTransportation/TrafficManagementPlans/
    And the main report has this map of proposed new roads. So a full circular ring around Maynooth and 2 new inner relief roads: from Straffan Road to Parsons St, and Moyglare Rd to Dunboyne Rd. Pg 55 describes these roads as scenarios tested, so I would not hold my breath waiting for them.

OK, pdf did not attach, so try again, and here is link to Map of new road scenarios: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wgY7gAzuQcQ8B8LsLuc3l1t3Gndtj7RH

Good idea to take pics of actual planned routes and post here.

• Advertisement

Liam28 wrote: »
    You'd think! This is how they did it in the 80's and this is how they still do it. Or maybe it is online, but hard to find?

It will be online on the 16th - same day it will be available in hard copy.

Advertisement