Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth Ring Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,790 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The plans will be online but unless you've got huge screens the public display in the library will be easier for most to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

something I've long wondered about the ring road, is how it will work on the Rathcoffey Rd side, at this point

I can see from p.5 here that there would be a roundabout, but the location seems to be either completely through a house/garden (CPO'd?), or if behind it, then has to go completely up onto the flyover bridge? AFAIK putting a tunnel under the bridge now would be completely infeasible? Unless tha maps are VERY rough and they're putting the roundabout at the bottom of the bridge (on the town side), where the entrance to that house's driveway is, and going around the perimeter of Parson's Hall?
    The Proposed Layouts maps don't have it.

That section isn't even vaguely designed yet. Its not the bit going on display now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

For the Meath section could they not just upgrade the existing road and take out that sh*t corner while they're at is?

The new road there serves no purpose but to make the route longer and create a mess of junctions

For the Meath section could they not just upgrade the existing road and take out that sh*t corner while they're at is?

The new road there serves no purpose but to make the route longer and create a mess of junctions

It's to open up more industrial development land for Meath to charge rates on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Liam28 wrote: »
    You'd think! This is how they did it in the 80's and this is how they still do it. Or maybe it is online, but hard to find?
    There is this page:
    http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/RoadsandTransportation/TrafficManagementPlans/
    And the main report has this map of proposed new roads. So a full circular ring around Maynooth and 2 new inner relief roads: from Straffan Road to Parsons St, and Moyglare Rd to Dunboyne Rd. Pg 55 describes these roads as scenarios tested, so I would not hold my breath waiting for them.

A mate had a conspiracy theory. He said that it rules out the possibility of someone not from the area protesting/delaying it pointlessly.

With the Athenry story in mind, I tended to concur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

A mate had a conspiracy theory. He said that it rules out the possibility of someone not from the area protesting/delaying it pointlessly.

With the Athenry story in mind, I tended to concur.

Rules on public consultation are set down in law. There’s no way to circumvent them.

If it affects or is of interest to you, get involved and make a submission.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/RoadsandTransportation/CurrentMajorRoadSchemes/ Route options. All have issues of some form or other in my opinion.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

L1011 wrote: »
    http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/RoadsandTransportation/CurrentMajorRoadSchemes/ Route options. All have issues of some form or other in my opinion.

More traffic lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

lordgoat wrote: »
    More traffic lights.

Of course. We need more - there's a shortage of them in Maynooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

Option B was selected for the Eastern end,

http://kildare.ie/…/CurrentMajorRoad…/Route%20Option%20B.pdf

tnegun wrote: »

This is going to do fuc-k all to help. Just added 2 more sets of traffic lights to the town. They haven't a clue.

WTF is wrong with roundabout's, same on the Moyglare road two new sets of lights going in, one was originally a roundabout not sure when that changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

lordgoat wrote: »
    This is going to do fuc-k all to help. Just added 2 more sets of traffic lights to the town. They haven't a clue.

Sure it'll give another option to figure into the plan. The exciting thing about living in Maynooth is judging the time of day to plan your route into and out of the town. Is there school traffic? Is there college traffic? Is it Saturday?

Rather than just link up the traffic lights properly.

There was a picture someone did on Boards a few years back of a one way system, it was the best idea I'd seen for traffic in the town, pity it was never implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Isn't this section of the ring-road to facilitate the construction of 800 new houses?

Isn't this section of the ring-road to facilitate the construction of 800 new houses?

That's why the state is funding it rather than KCC waiting for someone to build it. It's also to try encourage some traffic off the Straffan Road and Main Street.

The Meath section will make an impact to both also when it's built as Moyglare Road residents will likely use it to get to the next M4 junction rather than go through the town to the existing one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Staplor wrote: »
    Sure it'll give another option to figure into the plan. The exciting thing about living in Maynooth is judging the time of day to plan your route into and out of the town. Is there school traffic? Is there college traffic? Is it Saturday?

Rather than just link up the traffic lights properly.

There was a picture someone did on Boards a few years back of a one way system, it was the best idea I'd seen for traffic in the town, pity it was never implemented.

Yeah, i tried . There'd be dead bodies on the Harbour section unfortunately . All all anyone ever see is destruction. People don't like change, it's the hardest thing to implement in work or society.

Am pro this link road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

That's why the state is funding it rather than KCC waiting for someone to build it. It's also to try encourage some traffic off the Straffan Road and Main Street.

The Meath section will make an impact to both also when it's built as Moyglare Road residents will likely use it to get to the next M4 junction rather than go through the town to the existing one
    unless im missing something people will still need to go down the bulk of the straffen road to use this? surely it would have made sense to bring this all the way up to the dead end thats near Lidil?

shanec1928 wrote: »
    unless im missing something people will still need to go down the bulk of the straffen road to use this? surely it would have made sense to bring this all the way up to the dead end thats near Lidil?

Not to go to the schools, for instance

That section is being left to developers annoyingly. They have planning (and an estate name - Mullen Park) but haven't started work yet.

It's insane that this didn't go all the way to Lidl and I think it will do very little for traffic as most currently use Pike bridge as an alternative so it will relieve that route which is outside the town already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Part 8 approved; absolute refusal to change to roundabouts by the engineers due to the new design manual for cycling.

Why is it impossible to build roundabouts safely for pedestrians and bikes? Sounds like they didn't plan it properly and are using DMURS as a way out.

Also they granted planning for a roundabout on the ring road at the new school and entrance to Moyglare Hall without issue post the introduction of DMURS which was partially constructed before the builder went bust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Part 8 approved; absolute refusal to change to roundabouts by the engineers due to the new design manual for cycling.

Did they actually consult any cyclists on that decision?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tnegun wrote: »
    Why is it impossible to build roundabouts safely for pedestrians and bikes? Sounds like they didn't plan it properly and are using DMURS as a way out.
    Given that many motorists can't drive in a straight line safely past cyclists and many motorists also have difficulty using roundabouts, maybe this is a good move?
    Orion wrote: »
    Did they actually consult any cyclists on that decision?
    Have they ever consulted a cycling group about any infrastructural projects (genuine quesition)?

It went to public consultation. What weight each submission got we'll never know but there were some nutters against roundabouts there too

Can we not turn off traffic lights from 10pm til 8am?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

What is happening at the parish church? I heard that they are replacing the lights with a roundabout. Any truth in that rumour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

TheBody wrote: »
    What is happening at the parish church? I heard that they are replacing the lights with a roundabout. Any truth in that rumour?

They are widening the junction to allow for a cycle lane and a right turning lane from the Moyglare Road to the Kilcock Road. No roundabout.

Advertisement