Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth Ring Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

Also they appear to be maintaining the left slip when coming from the town to the Kilcock road something which goes against the fabled DMURS so more evidence of citing it when it suits for force traffic lights at every intersection.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

lordgoat wrote: »
    Can we not turn off traffic lights from 10pm til 8am?

Not much need as most of them seem to be on sensors so there's minimal waiting time in the evenings. This is definitely true of the Straffan Road ones anyway, and the centre of the town too. Not sure about elsewhere.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not much need as most of them seem to be on sensors so there's minimal waiting time in the evenings. This is definitely true of the Straffan Road ones anyway, and the centre of the town too. Not sure about elsewhere.
    Sensors work for cars but not bicycles!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lastblackdog

Sensors work for cars but not bicycles!

Yes, true, but bicycles don't actually stop for red lights so that would be a useless feature.

Yes, true, but bicycles don't actually stop for red lights so that would be a useless feature.
    That's a fairly stupid and unconstructive comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

tnegun wrote: »
    Also they granted planning for a roundabout on the ring road at the new school and entrance to Moyglare Hall without issue post the introduction of DMURS which was partially constructed before the builder went bust.

The roundabout in this image looks like it is not the entrance to Moyglare Hall from the Moyglare Road but where you drive down between the GAA pitch and school and turn right into Moyglare Hall.

That's a fairly stupid and unconstructive comment.

Thank you for your considered opinion.

Why don't you stand near the traffic lights in the middle of Maynooth for a period of time and check how many of the cyclists stop on red and wait for the green before they cycle on.

In general, cyclists don't hold themselves to the same road rules that motorists are expected to follow.

Some do. I know as I saw a woman stop for a red light in Dame Street yesterday. The reason I remember is that it is such an unusual event.

Thank you for your considered opinion.

Why don't you stand near the traffic lights in the middle of Maynooth for a period of time and check how many of the cyclists stop on red and wait for the green before they cycle on.

In general, cyclists don't hold themselves to the same road rules that motorists are expected to follow.

Some do. I know as I saw a woman stop for a red light in Dame Street yesterday. The reason I remember is that it is such an unusual event.
    I'm not going to derail this into a cyclist vs motorist thread.
    However, for your information, I have waited at the lights in Maynooth many times both in a car and on a bicycle. I noted many traffic voilations including pedestrains crossing on red, cars breaking the red and yes cyclists occasionally breaking a red. Why don't you comment on the first two as they are much more commonly seen.
    Why you think this should become a all cyclists are bas**rds thread is beyond me.

Either way, the point that I made was that roads are designed for cars and don't rarely is proper consideration made for other road users. Traffic light sensors don't work for a bicycle so when I come to a red light on my bike when there are no cars around, what am I to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

Traffic light sensors don't work for a bicycle so when I come to a red light on my bike when there are no cars around, what am I to do?

Wait until they change, they will change eventually just not as quickly as in other methods of transport.

djivide_ wrote: »
    Wait until they change, they will change eventually just not as quickly as in other methods of transport.
    Many lights won't change unless they are triggered by the sensor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

djivide_ wrote: »

For many of these junctions the minor road will not get a green light unless triggered by the sensor.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

In fairness way more cars break lights than cyclists. It's a weak argument trotted out against cyclists and I say this as someone who hates bikes (not cyclists). Everyone has scooted through on orange when they shouldn't.

Just turn the lights off for evenings and in the middle of the night. They're pointless. I hate having to stop at 6:30 am with no one around for a pointless light.

I'd like to see the numbers of accidents for one year post lights on Straffan Road vs the previous year. I'd say more or at least the same amount of accidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Given that many motorists can't drive in a straight line safely past cyclists and many motorists also have difficulty using roundabouts, maybe this is a good move?

You shouldn't drive in a straight line past cyclists. You should ensure it's safe to overtake and then go around them. :)

Have they ever consulted a cycling group about any infrastructural projects (genuine quesition)?

I assumed this was a rhetorical question.

Can we not turn off traffic lights from 10pm til 8am?

I'd love to see them all turned off for a day. Just to see what happens. I bet my mortgage all traffic will move smoother.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2017/sep/22/what-happens-if-you-turn-off-the-traffic-lights

Yes we do. But thanks for demonstrating your illogical and irrelevant bias.

Orion wrote: »
    Yes we do. But thanks for demonstrating your illogical and irrelevant bias.

My comments were originally typed with smiley face emojis to indicate that they were to be taken lightly. For some reason, these did not load with the comments.

That said, I stand behind what I said. Cyclists turning right across a line of moving traffic might stop because they have no choice, but cyclists turning left or going straight on (for example at pedestrian crossing lights) rarely stop.

BTW, I also agree with other comments that state that motorists are far from blameless when it comes to following the rules of the road. However, the original comments were about activating the traffic light sensors when riding a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Orion wrote: »
    I'd love to see them all turned off for a day. Just to see what happens. I bet my mortgage all traffic will move smoother.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2017/sep/22/what-happens-if-you-turn-off-the-traffic-lights

When we've had long term failures in Maynooth, it's been better for the first few days then people stop bothering to let others out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

Liam28 wrote: »
    The roundabout in this image looks like it is not the entrance to Moyglare Hall from the Moyglare Road but where you drive down between the GAA pitch and school and turn right into Moyglare Hall.

Exactly its a the entrance to the Moyglare Hall estate from the ring road, the existing junction with the Moyglare road has just had lights installed but a few hundred meters up the ring road and at what will be a bike and pedestrian hotspot when the school opens the council granted permission for a roundabout flying in the face of everything they say when defending the use of signal controlled junctions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

I've seen a few comments that the route for the eastern relief road has been selected, but can't find anything online that shows what it might be. Anyone else?

• Advertisement

Option B in the proposed options was the one selected I believe, and has got the Part 8 permission - I think.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/AllServices/Planning/Part8Schemes/RoadsandTransportation/MaynoothEasternRingRoadPlRefP82019-08/MERRRODLSISWAERPCH40001%20(Part%20VIII%20Planning%20Report).pdf

It should have gone to tender by now, but COVID has delayed stuff.

L1011 wrote: »
    Option B in the proposed options was the one selected I believe, and has got the Part 8 permission - I think.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/AllServices/Planning/Part8Schemes/RoadsandTransportation/MaynoothEasternRingRoadPlRefP82019-08/MERRRODLSISWAERPCH40001%20(Part%20VIII%20Planning%20Report).pdf

It should have gone to tender by now, but COVID has delayed stuff.

Ah yes the least preferable option for air quality, climate and noise. At least there are no schools around...

It's not going to be fit for purpose anyhow as it is designed principally for drivers. The shared path for pedestrians and cyclists just shows that this was given pretty much no consideration at planning and design stage.
    Typical crap from KCC!

They'll be hoping for the NTA to eventually fix the foot/cycle bits when they do the Maynooth-Celbridge road, which was mentioned a decade ago or so and hasn't gone anywhere.

I'd have B as the worst possible option.

I also love how they think having a ring road terminate at a crossroad (with traffic lights) right beside a couple of schools makes any kind of sense. It's mind numbingly stupid. Imagine the ****show as cars pull into cycle lanes/footpaths to drop off/collect kids on all sides.

Delighted I live on the other side of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

That'll be 2 new sets of lights for the town, we must be near a record then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

Any time I try to use the KCC website I end up with dead links. How many of the tiles on this page actually work, have a go: http://www.kildare.ie/countycouncil/AllServices/Roads/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I'd have B as the worst possible option.

I also love how they think having a ring road terminate at a crossroad (with traffic lights) right beside a couple of schools makes any kind of sense. It's mind numbingly stupid. Imagine the ****show as cars pull into cycle lanes/footpaths to drop off/collect kids on all sides.

Delighted I live on the other side of the town.
    I'd imagine the point is that it joins directly to the road running through Griffin Rath which leads out to Lidl/Bartons....

And as for the four options, they're all much of a muchness really.

I'd imagine the point is that it joins directly to the road running through Griffin Rath which leads out to Lidl/Bartons....

And as for the four options, they're all much of a muchness really.

OH for sure I get that it puts a ring road through a housing estate that's been built for 15+ years. I just think it's not very well thought out. I did say this at the time of consultation.

Depends on what you mean much of a muchness but I take your point in that they are all pretty poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The ring road was always supposed to go through Griffin Rath though. It was the plan from day one. We were well aware of it when we were house hunting 13 years ago.
    I'd have no sympathy for anyone complaining about it, same as I'd have no sympathy for anyone in Moyglare Hall complaining if that section ever gets built.

Advertisement