Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing and Verification of Electrical Installations

Options
  • 15-10-2014 11:58am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Following a suggestion by maxamillius this sticky has been created for all posts relating to the testing and verification of electrical installations.

This is an important topic because only ETCI completion certificates signed by the Holder of a valid Qualified Certifier Number (QC No) are processed for transmission to ESB. To obtain a QC No, Registered Electrical Contractors (RECs) must, successfully complete the City and Guilds Certificate in Electrical Testing and Verification of Electrical Installations 2407.

Please post relevant information, links and questions relating to this topic here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

So to do this you must have your own meter, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

So to do this you must have your own meter, yes

Not necessarily, you may use a borrowed meter for course

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

prob a stupid question

but how do the chefs make the lunches while the hotels are being tested?

are the lunches all cooked before the testing and verification starts?

prob a stupid question

but how do the chefs make the lunches while the hotels are being tested?

are the lunches all cooked before the testing and verification starts?

Testing is refined to purpose built work stations. The hotels wiring installation will therefore be uninterrupted, your lunch should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

So as a refresher,,,what are the tests that must be completed in a domestic installation after it has been connected to esb?

• Advertisement

final circuit maximum fault loop impedance tests

rcd trip testing

PRE CONNECTION TESTS

Continuity of electrode and bonding conductors.

Continuity of all and the max resistance value of protective conductors

Polarity

Insulation resistance test

Erroneous connection test

POST CONNECTION

Operation of RCD

L-E fault loop impedance

PRE CONNECTION TESTS

Polarity

POST CONNECTION

Operation of RCD

L-E fault loop impedance

Don't suppose you fancy explAining how those tests are carried out?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi maxamillus, which tests do you want an explanation of?

2011 wrote: »
    Hi maxamillus, which tests do you want an explanation of?

He probably wants the tests he quoted from zombiekiller explained for him.

• Advertisement

These to be exact

Originally Posted by zombiekiller View Post
    PRE CONNECTION TESTS

Polarity

POST CONNECTION

Operation of RCD

L-E fault loop impedance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

http://local.ecollege.ie/Content/APPRENTICE/liu/electrical_notes/LL227.pdf

Not the most inspiring of documents

I think they've been copying and posting those same visual checks for 30yrs

I guess that's because the same problems keep occurring?

Both RECI and ECCSA have published their own guides (not sure if still available though) we used the RECI one during the course in Baldoyle.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

That's nothing, Ohm's Law has remained unchanged for well over 100 years :D:D

Seriously though, what do you see wrong with thier description of the visual inspection?

The reci book on testing and verification mentioned above is only 15 euro. Explains all the testing procedures gives tables on acceptable an unacceptable values on the different tests. And the the list of visual inspections is the page i had open on the test which helped to get the last one or two visual faults.

Can you buy that book online?i remember we had one in phase 2 which was quite good!

You can ring reci and pay over the phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Hi
    Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread but would anyone know where I would be able to get periodic inspection stickers to put on a fuse board once I have tested the installation. Something with a tested by/date of test/date of next test due?
    I have found ones used for PAT testing online but nothing for a periodic circuit inspection.

Casey78 wrote: »
    Hi
    Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread but would anyone know where I would be able to get periodic inspection stickers to put on a fuse board once I have tested the installation. Something with a tested by/date of test/date of next test due?
    I have found ones used for PAT testing online but nothing for a periodic circuit inspection.

I used this company to make up all sorts of stickers for me. Every board I did had a small sticker with my company name & contact details on it. Not an expensive solution, they will make up any sticker you like and it looks professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

PRE CONNECTION TESTS

Polarity

POST CONNECTION

Operation of RCD

L-E fault loop impedance

Im booked in to the 2 day intensive course for a couple of weeks time, Id be confident Id know how to do any of those tests, except the Erroneous, which Ive never even heard of! Can anyone tell me whats that about?:)

EDIT: I googled it, its just meggering between phases I think?

Im booked in to the 2 day intensive course for a couple of weeks time, Id be confident Id know how to do any of those tests, except the Erroneous, which Ive never even heard of! Can anyone tell me whats that about?:)

EDIT: I googled it, its just meggering between phases I think?

An erroneous connection is a just a physical connection between circuits..easy enough to determine during the testing procedure and becomes apparent if one exists. That will be covered during course don't worry too much about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Hi lads.
    My boss is sending me on the course so I can sign off on certs etc my self after testing installations, im just wondering if there's any good walk through booklets or videos people have or know about too remind my self and get me back familiar with all the different test before I go on the course.im obviously fully qualified lads just looking for some refresher info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Have a look at this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-Inspection-Certification-Electrical-Installations/dp/0080969070/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425216077&sr=8-1&keywords=christopher+kitcher

I have read it and found it fairly accurate and i came from having no understanding of testing circuits.

A quick google wil help you find it:)

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Hi lads.
    My boss is sending me on the course so I can sign off on certs etc my self after testing installations, im just wondering if there's any good walk through booklets or videos people have or know about too remind my self and get me back familiar with all the different test before I go on the course.im obviously fully qualified lads just looking for some refresher info

Are there any particular aspects that you are unsure of ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

2011 wrote: »
    Are there any particular aspects that you are unsure of ?

Nothing in particular.. I've carried out all tests previously but it's more too read over/watch too remind my self of procedures, different settings etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Anton Savage

Hi

Can someone help me with a regulations question?
    I don't have a regs book handy and would like to know what exactly are the regulations 554.4 and 554.6 in relation to rcd protection on socket circuits. I know they are exemptions to the rule as in these type of circuits don't require rcd protection but I'm just need to know exactly the type of circuits they are and in what type of installation they would be used.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JoJo222

Hey guys, quick question.. on a periodic inspection report you have to record the max resistance of the protective conductor. That is a pre-connection test and the periodic inspection is on a live board which is in a factory, not to sound like a complete ape but how else would you test this? I've completed the RECI testing course and have tested a good few houses but am in a new job and am not very familiar with periodic inspections. would really appreciate any feedback.

JoJo222 wrote: »
    Hey guys, quick question.. on a periodic inspection report you have to record the max resistance of the protective conductor. That is a pre-connection test and the periodic inspection is on a live board which is in a factory, not to sound like a complete ape but how else would you test this? I've completed the RECI testing course and have tested a good few houses but am in a new job and am not very familiar with periodic inspections. would really appreciate any feedback.

Isn't it just a matter of using a long wander lead? Obviously you need to "null" the meter to compensate for the test leads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 JoJo222

in a factory environment? some of the boards are over 500m from the switch room

Advertisement