Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

D'Agger wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear that some pride was restored in the jersey by some of the players yesterday but I tend to hate this kind of thinking - that they put in one good performance in Championship, lost and somehow that's enough, that will be accepted and go again next year, the year will be remembered by their last performance rather than the absolute shít that preceeded it. That is not good enough for Cork GAA tbqh and I'm glad to see Healy stand down immediately so that work can begin post haste to correct the issues with the team.

The bit in bold is pretty much exactly what's going to happen.

Also it's nearly guaranteed that the Cork County Board will take an eternity to appoint a new football manager - will be far too concerned with the hurlers and the new stadium for the next while. Last time out it was just short of 3 months between Cuthbert resigning and Healy being appointed. I don't see anything changing this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Was in the Pairc today to see Wexford and Waterford. I am not one bit concerned about Tipp and Waterford. The only fans leaving the stadium happy are Cork fans. Nothing to fear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Was in the Pairc today to see Wexford and Waterford. I am not one bit concerned about Tipp and Waterford. The only fans leaving the stadium happy are Cork fans. Nothing to fear.

Its Cork's All-Ireland nothing to fear I'd say. Galway will bottle it ala the Mayo footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I dont fear them, but steady on with the AI talk.

Will be a very tough semi and Final no matter what.

Tipp battered us in last semi final too after we won Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Haha, what a statement.

Cork have done nothing since 2006 and now all of a sudden after 3 games the supporters get mouthy again.

I'm going to put my head on the block and say that Cork will be beaten comfortably by either Tipperary or Waterford next month.

• Advertisement

Motivator wrote: »
    Haha, what a statement.

Cork have done nothing since 2006 and now all of a sudden after 3 games the supporters get mouthy again.

I'm going to put my head on the block and say that Cork will be beaten comfortably by either Tipperary or Waterford next month.

Were you in a Coma for 2013?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Doltanian wrote: »

I'd hardly call being beaten in a final by the worst team to win an All Ireland since 1994 a highlight...would you?

Haha, what a statement.

This is the Cork supporters discussion area bud, if ya don't agree with what we say you shouldn't be here. See you on August 13th!

Haha, what a statement.

Only just realised you're that crazy Waterford man that went into the Kilkenny thread earlier :D:D Enjoy watching the final from yer couch.

I'd hardly call being beaten in a final by the worst team to win an All Ireland since 1994 a highlight...would you?

Where were all the other teams so? Bad teams don't just win All-Irelands. Yes I think really Cork should have won 2013 and only for a dramatic late equaliser from Clare and a Bevy of Goals the following day then Cork would have won it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    It was announced on Friday that Jack O'Connor will be manager of the Kerry U20s for 2 years so he's clearly not an option.

And if somebody like Jack O'Connor was in charge I doubt if any Cork player would show up for a championship game wearing something akin to a pair of bedside slippers, like Aidan Walshe was wearing yesterday. Did this chap realise that there had been a 36 hour monsoon in Limerick on Thursday/Friday.
    His 'footwear', ie slipping, was the direct cause of 2/3 Mayo scores in the first half and I wonder if it also contributed to his injury at the throw-in for the start of the second half.
    I posted here during the week that this was a very winnable game, with Mayo struggling V Clare and Derry. A 100% fit Colm O'Neill would definitely swung it in Cork's favour. What a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

Congrats to the Cork Footballers - I normally have no interest in moral victories but the lads gave everything and more in Limerick and with a little bit more experience and cool heads in the last few minutes of both normal and extra time they would have won - they need to get into the super 8s next year to develop that experience

Please god they will appoint the right man and give him the resources to succeed - we have the footballers!!!

Its Waterford in semi. The slightly better of the 2 but still they be looking for revenage and they be well up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Re the footballers - I think there are a few important things that could encourage the powers that be to make a strong and positive appointment.

1. We have a new stadium now - we need to be playing our home league games there, and to drive attendance, those league games need to be in Division 1.
    Two of Tyrone, Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, and not forgetting Galway, Donegal, Kildare every year from 2019 is vital. We not alone have to get promoted, we have to dominate division 2 next year, because.....

2. We have a new stadium now - and all going to plan, we hope to be playing Kerry in the Munster final on the first Sunday of July 2018. We must be coming in to this game on the back of a league win, silverware, and just a dash of hope, because ......

3. We have a new stadium now, and next year is the Super 8s. We need to fill this stadium for football matches in August.

So just maybe, the debt that our county is in is more important than the egos of certain people getting their man in the job. Treat our new stadium like any new start up business. Growth and success will fix the bottom line.

Also with the new stadium, with the new 4G pitch, the pressure is off Pairc Ui Rinn now - so hopefully our footballers will have a good winter.

The county championships are going to ramp up now, ideally I would be thrilled if they moved quick and made the appointment in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

Waterford the better draw. Still though, at the start of th year most people would have had Waterford well ahead of us. It's tough to beat a team twice too. Think it's a 50/50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Fine stadium ye have now lads. Massive improvement from the old place. Excellent facilities and plenty of helpful stewards inside the ground and in the surrounding areas. The hyped traffic nightmare turned out to be completely overplayed also. Fantastic facility in blackrock GAA club too, hope they made a nice few quid this weekend.

See ye in the AI semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Has to be said - I was stuck in traffic in the city at half 5 on the Saturday - the guards did a terrific job of moving traffic going towards the quays - was stuck from County hall to the bus station for a while but after that - getting to the train station flew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

This is the Cork supporters discussion area bud, if ya don't agree with what we say you shouldn't be here. See you on August 13th!

No. its a public discussion board and if you are going to make such bold and frankly bizzare statements then be prepared to back them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭banger01

Doltanian wrote: »

I would if I was from Waterford ...................... Because getting to a final would be such an novelty

I'm just curious:

If Waterford had beaten Tip - and then beat Cork - and then went on to beat Clare to win Munster - would we think we would have a 50/50 chance against Waterford in the AI semi?
    Because we beat Offaly - The current Kilkenny - and Wexford, and it would be hard for Waterford to beat us twice?
    Again just curious what people think?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very happy with Waterford. I think they are not as good as Tip. We will be there or thereabouts at the final whistle.

banger01 wrote: »
    I'm just curious:

If Waterford had beaten Tip - and then beat Cork - and then went on to beat Clare to win Munster - would we think we would have a 50/50 chance against Waterford in the AI semi?
    Because we beat Offaly - The current Kilkenny - and Wexford, and it would be hard for Waterford to beat us twice?
    Again just curious what people think?

I have read this at least 5 times and still have absolutely no idea what you are even trying to say!

I have read this at least 5 times and still have absolutely no idea what you are even trying to say!
    If the shoe was on the other foot ... would we think the AI simi would be a 50/50 game .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

If the shoe was on the other foot ... would we think the AI simi would be a 50/50 game .

The bookies would probably have it 5/6 the pair in that scenario so, yes, I'd say it would be more or less a 50/50 game.

There are far more variables at play that simply who and how both teams have beaten.

Experience and development wise Waterford are much further down the line.

All in all I don't think we can underestimate the loss of De Burca and that swings things ever so slightly in Corks favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That depends on the De Burca ban sticking

There is already a clamouring for him to get off to play the semi final

Betting wise I would think he will get off even though he knew what he doing yesterday

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    That depends on the De Burca ban sticking

There is already a clamouring for him to get off to play the semi final

Betting wise I would think he will get off even though he knew what he doing yesterday

I can't see that he has a case tbh, it's harsh and a rule that needs reviewing but as things stand he is guilty and the punishment is a straight red card, there is no grey area here.

I would agree

By the law he was rightly sent off and it should stick

Stuff like this will be used in mitigation however

Fitzgerald hopes de Búrca is cleared for semi-final

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=273439

I would agree

Former manager defends his former player shocker!

Fitz is always better at trying to keep other peoples house in order rather than his own!

• Advertisement

True lol

It's funny in the Waterford thread that someone still blames Mullane for accepting his suspension in 2004

Cost them the All Ireland it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

KevIRL wrote: »
    Fine stadium ye have now lads. Massive improvement from the old place. Excellent facilities and plenty of helpful stewards inside the ground and in the surrounding areas. The hyped traffic nightmare turned out to be completely overplayed also. Fantastic facility in blackrock GAA club too, hope they made a nice few quid this weekend.

See ye in the AI semi final.

Seconded. They did a great job getting people in and out of Blackrock's ground and the planning and execution by the Guards in getting people onto the ring road was top notch. Well done to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I would agree

Davy wasn't able to swing it for Forde. I don't think Davy has a whole lot of clout with refs or those that dish out the punishment.

Current Paddypower odds on the next football manager

I can't see Frank being willing to go outside the county, especially with the way the stadium finances are and I really doubt that it will be any of the former managers. There really doesn't seem to be much in the way of depth in terms in Cork options.

Ronan McCarthy did have an article in de'Paper yesterday that read to me very much like a piece written by someone who would have an interest in being involved. The fact that Cleary is joint favourite after how things went the last time out says a world.

John Cleary 15/8
    Ronan McCarthy 15/8
    Billy Morgan 7/2
    Stephen O Brien 11/2
    Larry Tomkins 8/1
    Tomas O Se 11/1
    Peter Creedon 12/1
    Ephie Fitzgerald 12/1
    Cian O Neill 12/1
    James Horan 14/1
    Conor Counihan 14/1
    John Allen 16/1
    Anthony Cunningham 20/1
    Brian Cuthbert 20/1
    Liam Kearns 25/1
    Jack O Connor 33/1
    Tomas O Flatharta 40/1
    John Evans 40/1
    Jim McGuinness 80/1
    Micheal Martin 100/1
    John Caulfield 100/1
    Mick O Dwyer 100/1
    Roy Keane 100/1
    Graham Norton 500/1

Dead Heat Rules apply in the event of Joint Managers being appointed. Others on request

Roy Keane or John Caulfield I reckon:rolleyes:

May as well add Graham Norton to the dream team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

I couldnt call who will win the semis. They are the definitely the best four teams in the championship for 2017. I fancy Cork just about to shade it against Waterford but it will be a tight match and could go either way on the day. Tipp and Galway is going to be a cracker, I think Galway are better than last year and I think should have enough to put Tipp away but then again Tipp are a hard team to beat at this stage of the championship. 4 great teams battling it out.

Whoever takes over should possibly try to get Tomás involved as a selector/coach given he has a decent knowledge of the club scene from the past few years with Nemo. I think he'd be the right fella to put it up to fellas in a training session or a dressing room. A proven winner with big game experience - think he'd be invaluable as a backroom member, not sure it'll happen though tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

danganabu wrote: »
    Former manager defends his former player shocker!

Fitz is always better at trying to keep other peoples house in order rather than his own!

Bourke made his debut for Waterford 3 years after Fitzgerald left.

Judging by O Se reaction last night he wants be as far away as possible from Cork Job

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Judging by O Se reaction last night he wants be as far away as possible from Cork Job

I was very curious as to the likelihood of Tomas O Se been offered the job but he definitely doesn't seem enthusiastic about taking it.

I'd imagine he would be a great appointment but maybe he doesn't see it as an attractive proposition at the moment?

Is the loyalty to the home county a big factor?Isn't he domiciled in Cork for a number of years,playing for Nemo and involved with UCC?

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    I was very curious as to the likelihood of Tomas O Se been offered the job but he definitely doesn't seem enthusiastic about taking it.

I'd imagine he would be a great appointment but maybe he doesn't see it as an attractive proposition at the moment?

Is the loyalty to the home county a big factor?Isn't he domiciled in Cork for a number of years,playing for Nemo and involved with UCC?

Still, its a handy number in the Sunday Game without the pressure and all.

He is very good pundit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

When's the U17 hurling quarter final? Just noticed in the season ticket thread that Cork or Galway's U17s will be playing on the day of the first senior semi final, can't find anything about the QF online though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

When's the U17 hurling quarter final? Just noticed in the season ticket thread that Cork or Galway's U17s will be playing on the day of the first senior semi final, can't find anything about the QF online though.

Surely thats the Minor match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Surely thats the Minor match

Nope, there's two matches before the Tipp-Galway game, minor at 2 and U17 at 12. Cork minors are playing Dublin at half 1 before the Cork-Waterford match.

seligehgit wrote: »

I don't think he'd be a great appointment as a manger - he has no managerial experience after all & Cork need somebody with experience and who will know how to deal with the issues in the panel and how it's being ran.

O'Sé in the backroom would be huge though I think - based on his reaction on the Sunday game as was mentioned above, I doubt it'll happen, but perhaps getting somebody like Canty or a former player who has pedigree involved would be a better move - has Paudie Kissane been involved with Cork lately or is he still working with Clare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭zetecescort

Kissane was involved last year, dropped for this year

All-Ireland U17 Hurling Championship Semi-Final

Thursday 27th July

Cork v Galway

@ Semple Stadium, Thurles 7.30pm

Referee: TBC

Extra Time if Necessary

http://www.gaacork.ie/news/10026947/All_Ireland_U17_Hurling_Championship_Semi_Final

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Freejin

Colm R wrote: »
    Re the footballers - I think there are a few important things that could encourage the powers that be to make a strong and positive appointment.

1. We have a new stadium now - we need to be playing our home league games there, and to drive attendance, those league games need to be in Division 1.
    Two of Tyrone, Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, and not forgetting Galway, Donegal, Kildare every year from 2019 is vital. We not alone have to get promoted, we have to dominate division 2 next year, because.....

2. We have a new stadium now - and all going to plan, we hope to be playing Kerry in the Munster final on the first Sunday of July 2018. We must be coming in to this game on the back of a league win, silverware, and just a dash of hope, because ......

3. We have a new stadium now, and next year is the Super 8s. We need to fill this stadium for football matches in August.

So just maybe, the debt that our county is in is more important than the egos of certain people getting their man in the job. Treat our new stadium like any new start up business. Growth and success will fix the bottom line.

Also with the new stadium, with the new 4G pitch, the pressure is off Pairc Ui Rinn now - so hopefully our footballers will have a good winter.

The county championships are going to ramp up now, ideally I would be thrilled if they moved quick and made the appointment in the coming weeks.

On the above, does anybody actually know how much debt there is on the new stadium. It was reported last year that it could open debt free if naming rights to the stadium were sold?

Bourke made his debut for Waterford 3 years after Fitzgerald left.

My Bad, kind of forget how young De Burca is.

But the point still remains, Davy has done a wonderful job on deflecting away from another tactical shortcoming of his own by firstly attacking the RTE pundits and then campaigning for De Burca.

Both of which are full of holes! He claims to have seen Duignan's tweets about a game that had finished minutes earlier :confused: and then expects us to believe that moments after having been knocked out of the championship the first thing that the Wexford players began to consider was Tadgh De Burcas innocence or guilt.

Freejin wrote: »
    On the above, does anybody actually know how much debt there is on the new stadium. It was reported last year that it could open debt free if naming rights to the stadium were sold?

The thing about the tickets was if they sold all of them - there was 2,000 available at a cost of €6,500, so all sold would net €13 million.

There has been a fair bit of talk about just how many of these have been sold but the County Board hasn't said anything.The main problem with these tickets is the low number of intercounty games that are guaranteed to be held in PuC especially when you compare it to Croke Park. It's dependent on how the hurlers and footballers go in the next while and the various home-and-away agreements with other counties. Frank and the lads will be trying to get every sort of a fixture then can in there, but even these aren't going to be hugely attractive in terms of shifting 10 year tickets. Unless you are a serious diehard and going to a lot of club games, it looks like it would most likely work out to be poor value compared to just buying a ticket for matches you want to go to.
    Most people seem to be saying less than half have been sold which would work out to 1000 by 6,500 to net €6.5 million.

I have heard from one person that the various divisional boards were pressured/forced into buying some of these premium tickets so even that 1000 figure might be on the generous side. The fact that the Cork County Board were this poor in terms of determining demand for seats in the new stadium does not bode well. This is the core business of the stadium and the County Board seem to be way off in terms of estimating what sort of price the market will pay.

There's also the big issue of the cost - back in 2015 the county board told the monthly meeting they were 10 million over budget. Since then there have been a lot of other problems with the project and the Examiner had a story about the cost being around the €85 million mark but the county board refused to comment.

The fact that the naming rights haven't been sold before the stadium's opening day is another in the long list of amateurly handled aspects of the project. Think about how much media coverage Pairc Ui Chaoimh has gotten over the last week - yet another missed opportunity.

Overall there are a lot of issues with this project but the finances are the big one for me - the fact that the Freemount delegate was basically told to STFU and not be asking questions at the last county board meeting is a massive red flag for me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement