Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭It makes sense

Smith614 wrote: »
    Just because Mahony played senior does not make him a better player than Kngston. Mahony was on a poor Newtownshandrum team . Looney was average on a poor Aghada team. You do seem a bit obsessed with a few young players n the county. I don't think any senior team worth their salt would have to play u.17 players.
    If playing for ur club at a young age is a way of judging talent then that's ur prerogative but most clubs of a high standard would not have to consider 17 yr olds.
    Interesting one have seen Kingston play looks a fine player for his age have seen looney play for Midleton CBS this year probably they best forward far exceeded Dunne, landers and Leahy. As far as playing for your club at 17/18 if you are good enough depends on the size of your club, look at Midleton senior this year ended up bringing on Smyth at corner forward in championship, IMO he is corner back all day so why Midleton bring him on with the size of their panel I do not know. Intermediate or junior clubs may have no choice but to blood youngsters as Panels are so small, Walsh at bride done very well at wing back this season, castlemartyr had no choice but to start a few youngsters due to size of panel.

Players are there and coaching staff just got to pick right coaches

It's baffling that mcdonnell is consistently played as a half forward when he's best games been at centre back
    That to me shows how poor management are.

Was baffling for most of the season got the sense they never watched the lads playing for their clubs or inter county, last cork u17 match in mallow where cork teams played each other Broderick and Denny played midfield together and worked very hard did well never once played together for school, McDonnell better back as you say, McCarthy IMO would have been better corner forward but they seemed obsessed with playing him midfield/centre forward. I think they the management will go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Interesting one have seen Kingston play looks a fine player for his age have seen looney play for Midleton CBS this year probably they best forward far exceeded Dunne, landers and Leahy. As far as playing for your club at 17/18 if you are good enough depends on the size of your club, look at Midleton senior this year ended up bringing on Smyth at corner forward in championship, IMO he is corner back all day so why Midleton bring him on with the size of their panel I do not know. Intermediate or junior clubs may have no choice but to blood youngsters as Panels are so small, Walsh at bride done very well at wing back this season, castlemartyr had no choice but to start a few youngsters due to size of panel.
    I'd agree that was strange call by midelton

Cloyne done something similar with Ian cahill as half forward from full be fair cloyne not many forwards where killian cronin dropped to full

Was baffling for most of the season got the sense they never watched the lads playing for their clubs or inter county, last cork u17 match in mallow where cork teams played each other Broderick and Denny played midfield together and worked very hard did well never once played together for school, McDonnell better back as you say, McCarthy IMO would have been better corner forward but they seemed obsessed with playing him midfield/centre forward. I think they the management will go

Your right they played brilliantly I think dean linehan gave masterful display defending that day also

Who will midelton appoint you think

Is connery staying with castle matyr
    Who do you think Wallis will get part back room staff

If midelton wanted to really improve set up next year at school level a golden opportunity presented itself in Wallis now available and for school teams could do that and senior club no bother at all together

Ideally Collins or kearney need to stay with dean or Ryan cup team so leave one there and have something like Wallis kearney with maccarthy fitness coach
    Or else have kearney and Collins and Mccarthy at harty cup but Wallis with dean Ryan team next year
    It's important that the harty cup do well but glorious opportunity awaits midelton do three in dean row dean Ryan cups only done once before by colmans I think so three in row chances don't come around often so it's imo imperative dean Ryan cup team not neglected next year

Wallis has proven record young hurlers and midelton should get him involved
    It doesn't really matter at what level but should be with school I wouldn't be surprised if he was involved in he's quality coach
    If ring doesn't do new term end this year and like all terms must be reviewed on success, if cork dont get all ireland quatre final imo then it's failure this year and looking manager Wallis has stand out for the role

If ring is successful this year imo he will be then should be offered New term
    Whether he takes it hard to know if he was offered it
    A golden opportunity has presented itself for cork minors, Wallis tremendous loss to the limerick set up, In not just he's preparing of limerick but he's attention detail in knowing opponents and strength and weakness cork as knows cork hurling inside out is phenomenonal
    Limerick will miss that edge next year

Huge ask for limerick with only four months to opening game to bring in new coach
    The guy they may bring in may be good say but it's just Wallis was just excellent hard to fill in short time coach he's calibre imo
    Like you have player very good in sturrige then you have saruez
    Sturrige very good but Suarez was phenomenonal.

Wallis keen student in despite all he's expierence he was at kilkenny county final in past in he's real hurling man and always learns and keeps learning

To have him working with guys like looney and smith next year, mcdonnell etc he would improve them no end
    Cork cry out for full back and some one like Wallis would really bring out potential in some one like Sean o leary Hayes a terrific full back with real real potential.

Paddy loughin was just sixteen this year but Wallis had developed him and gave him huge confidence he had this guy just panel members starting full back by time the year was out
    If he worked with Sean o leary Hayes he'd really develop this guy's potential

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Spot on with Midleton and the general malaise of the players, was at match and again decisions of Midleton management baffling landers no way fit why he started who knows, Dunne and McCarthy both looked like they did not what to be there no effort should have been pulled at half time, McCarthy definitely should have been subbed after first yellow as second yellow was on its way lads who were trying Cashman, Denny and O'sullivan all subbed, I got the impression that keep the names on take off the easy lads maybe that has been one of the problems with the team, no gelling no collective spirit rochestown completely the opposite played with hunger, desire hooked blocked and played a easy system two up top and hunt in packs to get the ball back and play early ball into Powter who gave Smyth a great battle.

I hope the midleton school looks at the current management structure because the players are there.

Its pretty clear the current management at Midleton CBS is responsible for the disastrous year. Its no surprise that at Dean Ryan the management was completely different.

And unfortunately the same management of this year will be in charge again next year.

As an aside, Midleton don't need to bring in anyone from outside. They have more than enough excellent coaches in the school, its an insult to those coaches when you bring in outside people.

http://www.midletoncbs.ie/index.cfm/page/staffandsupportgroups

Orizio wrote: »
    As an aside, Midleton don't need to bring in anyone from outside. They have more than enough excellent coaches in the school, its an insult to those coaches when you bring in outside people.

http://www.midletoncbs.ie/index.cfm/page/staffandsupportgroups

I would totally agree but Wallis is not outside man in played with midelton, son tommy plays senior team, know lot people school parents etc

Hes from town all he's doing I's simply adding expertise

Difficult midelton have is they pick good harty cup management dean they need one

Its ideal if Wallis was there with few up coming coaching. To coach them

Lot midelton people I think would welcome that
    Any school Coul use some one like Wallis

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SchoolsFan

Super post absolutely brilliant

What do you make john sullivan
    Would you have him on cork scene now

I hope I'm right when I say his name is Eoin O Sullivan from Douglas, midfield NO 8. Yeah I think he should be involved with the minor panel even if he is only involved as an extended member of the panel. Imagine how he will probe with a solid years work behind him with Ring/Landers and proper S&C training.

Couple of observations for a tall man he needs to dominate more in the air, actually quite a poor jumping technique and tends to get under the sliotar as opposed to meeting it. Maybe this comes from his football back ground. His striking off his left side tend to tail to the left. He strikes off balance even when he has time and this puts a right to left flight in the ball again nothing that can't be corrected

Excellent reader of the game and constantly working and gets into great defensive positions. When he starts to run directly he is a real threat. Ironically the way Rochestown swarm midfield limits his attacking ability as the space isn't there to run into. Anyone who saw the first ten minutes that last day would wave witnessed how good he is at that.

Cork minor next year, IMO yes. Huge potential but needs to iron out flaws that are not being picked up on in Douglas or Rochestown. Or maybe they are and are proving hard to rectify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

You're talking about the different midfielders lads! Eoin O'Brien is the tall lad from Douglas while John O'Sullivan is the smaller but strong lad from Blackrock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

I never said he was better never once

I said he's equal
    And your right on poor newton team but performance was good great sign players

When brought on v Darren mannix nest club full back in cork done well considering mannix huge expierence

What do you make ed daly to Newtown

Strength and conditioning etc seems to b his strength. I think he is related closely to one of the main officers in Newtown. It's not for his hurling ability but it seems they won't be getting a hurling coach to assist him. Newtown are just average now and expectations would not be massive. Daly will bring great organisation but may need more than that.

Ronan Dwane coached Churchtown for few yrs and to be blunt they were shocking. He is def. overrated.

Figsy32 wrote: »
    You're talking about the different midfielders lads! Eoin O'Brien is the tall lad from Douglas while John O'Sullivan is the smaller but strong lad from Blackrock!

Thanks for clarifying. Eoin O Brien is the guy I'm on about in my post above.

Figsy32 wrote: »

On John O'Sullivan he is a lovely balanced hurler, he is very economical with his ball use and gets his forwards in great positions with his deliveries. In relation to his defense he doesn't get deep enough at times, but I think this is a tactical approach from Rochwstown, he drifts into great positions as an outlet for ball from half back line.

I think the cork minors should look at him but I don't think they will pick pick him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Draws for the club championships coming out now on Twitter. Will link later when put up on Cork GAA website.

Edit: Here we go http://www.gaacork.ie/news/347406/County_Senior_Intermediate_Championship_Draws_2015

The draws for the 2015 County Senior, Premier Intermediate and Intermediate Hurling and Football Championships were made at County Convention this (Sunday) afternoon.

Senior Hurling Championship
    Round 1
    A: Douglas v St. Finbarr's
    B: Ballhea v Blackrock
    C: Na Piarsaigh v Youghal
    D: Midleton v Killeagh
    E: Glen Rovers v Ballymartle
    F: Carrigtwohill v Erin's Own
    G: Sarsfields v Newtownshandrum
    H: Bride Rovers v Bishopstown

Round 2
    A v B
    C v D
    E v F
    G v H

Senior Hurling (Divisions/Colleges)
    Round 1
    A: Duhallow v Carbery
    B: Muskerry v Carrigdhoun
    C: UCC v CIT
    D: Imokilly v Avondhu

Round 2
    A v B
    C v D

Senior Football
    Round 1
    A: Carbery Rangers v Valley Rovers
    B: Clyda Rovers v Castlehaven
    C: Bishopstown v O'Donovan Rossa
    D: Newcestown v Clonakilty
    E: Nemo Rangers v Ilen Rovers
    F: St. Nick's v Douglas
    G: Ballincollig v St. Finbarr's
    H: Dohenys v Aghada

Round 2
    A v B
    C v D
    E v F
    G v H

Senior Football (Divisions/Colleges)
    Round 1
    A: Duhallow v Avondhu
    B: CIT v Muskerry
    C: UCC v Carbery
    D: Beara v Seandún

Round 2
    A v B
    C v D

Premier Intermediate Hurling
    Round 1
    A: Cloyne v Watergrasshill
    B: Mallow v Inniscarra
    C: Castlelyons v Kanturk
    D: Carrigaline v Ballinhassig
    E: Fermoy v Valley Rovers
    F: Blarney v Kilworth
    G: Courcey Rovers v Bandon
    H: Tracton v Newcestown

Round 2
    C v G
    H v F
    D v E
    B v A

Premier Intermediate Football
    Round 1
    A: Béal Átha'n Ghaorthaidh v Macroom
    B: Ballinora v Mallow
    C: Castletownbere v Carrigaline
    D: Naomh Abán v Grenagh
    E: Bantry Blues v Éire Og
    F: Newmarket v Kiskeam
    G: St. Vincent's v Na Piarsaigh
    H: Nemo Rangers v St. Michael's

Round 2
    H v A
    G v E
    D v F
    C v B

Intermediate Hurling
    Round 1
    A: Barryroe v Aghada
    B: Ballygarvan v Éire Óg
    C: Milford v Fr. O'Neill's
    D: Dripsey v Meelin
    E: Argideen Rangers v Charleville
    F: Kildorrery v Castlemartyr
    G: Ballincollig v Kilbrittain
    H: Grenagh v Aghabullogue

Round 2
    F v H
    B v E
    G v A
    D v C

Intermediate Football
    Round 1
    A: Glanworth v Adrigole
    B: Mayfield v Glanmire
    C: Kildorrery v Kinsale
    D: Ballydesmond v Kanturk
    E: Aghabullogue v Mitchelstown
    F: Millstreet v Glenville
    G: Rockchapel v Youghal
    H: Cill na Martra v Fermoy

Round 2
    C v H
    A v E
    D v F
    G v B

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Almost over now but live on C103 too

Your right they played brilliantly I think dean linehan gave masterful display defending that day also

Yes dean teak tough corner back all day, Midleton maybe go with the management team who won the dean Ryan this year they seem to get the best out of what they have, no way ronan D should be involved I think he will go Niall mac might stay I think his training was okay.

I would hope Connery stays he did very well with what he had been interesting to see whether the great servant jimmy Smiddy gives it one more year, not sure or heard who Wallis will get involved yet

Yes dean teak tough corner back all day, Midleton maybe go with the management team who won the dean Ryan this year they seem to get the best out of what they have, no way ronan D should be involved I think he will go Niall mac might stay I think his training was okay.

I would hope Connery stays he did very well with what he had been interesting to see whether the great servant jimmy Smiddy gives it one more year, not sure or heard who Wallis will get involved yet

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭CORKDOUBLE

Gerry Wallace has admitted that he was sacked by Limerick .....he stepped down himself from there minors to manage Midleton ...but wanted to stay with there academy ...Limerick officals would not except this so they let him go 100%...

The draws very interesting In all codes

Midelton will be delighted in Wallis should have easy game ist time v Killeagh
    Just look at coaching side imo there's miles of difference in both teams. Denis walsh no success anywhere really in coaching up against hugely successful Wallis with limerick, and cork senior, and in kerry club and this game if was going be won by killeagh only chance is tactical wise in yes kinery, maybee landers, Walsh, etc have few good players but midelton have array talent and be too string them
    Wallis will pick players In their best position and I expect full back to be sorted and likes lehane be played at half forward

I wouldn't be surprised if Jamie nagle be tried full and killian Burke move centre back or Patrick o mahony if he's back who's fine hurler moved out field but imo not full back

Wallis will win tactical battle if Walsh is in charge of Killeagh.
    Denis was fine player in both codes. But he's judged soley as a manager now as playing days are over and on record in managing hasn't set coaching world alight imo

Be interesting see Wallis back room team but guaranteed who's on it be top notch

They got nice draw imo and possibly youghal or na piarssigh next won't fear

Nightmare draw for ballyhea imo in blackrock will under Murphy actually play as team not individuals and they will just have too much power pace,and game plan and likes o callaghan, keoffes, niall cashman, joe loughe, Stephen Murphy they will beat ballyhea
    I'd worry hugely ballyhea not confirmed yet so remains to be seen who is manager but if it's one possibility they won't have any tactical battle ready and in truth could be really in for long hour in the game
    Even with good manager to beat blackrock with eddie Murphy tall order but if they have a poor manager I really fear they could be well beaten and they need to be competitive.

Pa callaghan be awesome but if he's poorly coached he could struggle as quilty really deserves immense credit getting best out him last year

Blackrock could have tough game v douglas or barrs and john cremin done well ist year and I expect I'f they find forward to add to eoghhan finn and colm Keane two good forward be solid team

Can't understand niall Cahalane joining as selector though hurling.
    Football yes but hurling????

Douglas have serious potential and they have potential and then rockiees if meet be great game
    Two clubs I like and like see do well

Sarsfields are short favourite for county imo can't see logic, I'n midelton or douglas or rockiees beat them and possibly glen
    Sarsfields are. Imo an old team, no scoring forwards bar one maybee and newton I agree smith, in ed daly brilliant strength conditions coach and organiser but I'm not sure coaching sense alone but if they had coach to compliment he's skill could beat them

They have talent and if they play fast open game could beat sarsfields

Glen have tough opener v Ballymartle and close game to call and winners could meet eirns own who are trying to build team,take time imo but few lads from successful junior team are on the way Up and bowens is good coach but if glen overcome ist round games they will be there or abouts as young team, Shane miller be back and of course if horgan actually delivered consistent season as club player from play and Delivered on undoubted outstanding talent could indeed be contenders real contenders for the county.

Football is good draws and clyda have tough opener in ned English terrific coach but he's coming up against brilliant James Mccarthy young innovative and with cork development squads back in as manager haven

Haven be like midelton hurling reneregisedd after year off and yes clyda be tough, solid, resolute have game plan ultimately I can see just one winner in close game in haven with hurley brothers and mark Collins have better forwards

In games like this clyda have difficulty as once they face team top coach they will struggle in means English great influence negated and then comes down better players and not system like kerry beat donegal. In system gives you platform for individuals brilliant players to perform so haven imo will win once they negated clyda system like kerry done to donegal and with James Mccarthy they have man like kerry had fitzmaurice to do that.

They beat English system with duhellow county final few years ago, in duhellow even had one great forward Donnach o connor so they can win war arrition and dog fights and with renewed hunger and fresh Ness will win
    Clyda imo won't be releageted in they won't face too many teams with haven forward quality or powerhouses at midfield in dinneen and good manager in Mccarthy so they will stay up

Lot respect between two clubs in both came on similar journeys, both have real club values, honesty, work ethic, pride jeresy beating big clubs and English would been cleary coach in cork job
    Should be good game.

I said before clyda would be like haven and win county if they had a top top forward in colm o Neill hurley,mac eoin etc

As for winner play likely carbery ranger's and imo repeat last year haven will win this time

Nemo got nice draw and repeat last year ballincollg play barrs, in imo barrs had poor coach in slocum who was a great great player for cork but gave the village a close game imo much much better coaches team with Tony leahy, cit and cork under twenty one fame in charge Could very well win that game.

Hard for ballincollg to maintain hunger last year but young talent is there and must drive on for more and in Kelly, kiely brothers, o donuughe and jennings and durrant who's fine at club level be hard to beat but imo think barrs will win this one

Intermediate hurling kanturk have tough game v castlelyons with crowley meant be coach and tough tough game
    Castlelyons with Spillane brothers. Colm Barry and imo niall o leary young yes but would not be surprised if he starts. So tough well able for it Browne kanturk minor last year started kanturk, so that's a close game imo.

Fermoy be happy with their draw imo, in the other intermediate grade I think charville win it this year and should beat arigeen ranger's and then possibly eire og.

Tough draw for champions castlemstyr in kildorrey be tough with mick Walsh and Peter o brien who won't have cork intermediate distraction and unlikely avondu will have long run so it's tough opener for east cork side

One key battle is obviously you put mick Walsh on Lawton, limit him huge chance to win and Peter o brien huge threat and beat best defenders in Galway. Tipp. Clare some under twenty one etc in last year cork all irelands triumph so it's going to be interesting to see imo who castle put to mark him
    It will be close game though and if connery stays they have good coach.
    If castle played a sweeper imo they would be better served and could do well In stop o brien kildorrey don't have any other real forward in he's class imo

The east cork side I imagine be happy in to extent in yes tough game but they avoided local derby.

Winners imo have tough game against likely Grenagh
    In football mallow be usual favourite but imo won't come close, I said this last year at start in may. Couldn't believe mallow they were favourites
    Win one or two games but imo crunch games won't win and apparently unsure if dorgan is manager again

If mallow had mick Donovan manager imo he'd be ideal imo but remain be seen if he is going to be the manager

Some interesting draws across board hard predict with certainly in cork scene being not knockout means ist round games can be lottery at times and we got wait til all management are finalised to imo know contenders and ones likely to struggle but so far in senior football imo I think it be nemo, haven, barrs a dark horse for good run and ballincollg if hunger is there

In hurling midelton, rockiees, and douglas be there or abouts , I can't see sarsfields being there and I hope their not In imo cork hurling needs new voice in club hurling one that can really push in munster club imo I don't mind who wins cork county in I'll be going for team I think has best opportunity to win club in munster cause cork hurling need one badly , in that case it will be based hughely on management and playing talent available.
    When I see two finalists I'll decide then

At a glance midelton. Blackrock offer cork imo best club munster hope in the next two years

Glen imo won't be far away in county In cork

I'n intermediate football, premier eire og or maybee naomh abhan may do it.
    Macroom have talent but lack spirit as a team imo
    I'm not sure who coaches them next year but they have talent but flatter to device imo

In intermediate football rockchapel or mticheetown I think will be there or bouts

In hurling

Intermediate I think charville and I hope they win it,fine young team brilliant coach peter finn and unlucky met very good fermoy but nothing between two teams

In premier hurling I think fermoy cloyne and castlelyons and kanturk despite meeting ist game be serious players in this grade
    Courcey have timmy Kelleher next year. Be interesting how they do but I can't see them winning it.

Cork double your right Wallis would stayed minors til end year and would stayed academy but limerick way or no way it seemed
    As I said before I feel for grass roots fans and coaches some them, but it's board at fault imo

Go limerick thread and see their version which is correct and be fair and all credit due majority fans support Wallis and as last post said over there the players hugely admired Wallis
    I said this many time in summer he's widely respected in limerick
    O grady ask many in limerick it's divided opinion.
    Wallis it's majority say nothing but praise for him.

Mention Wallis to limerick fans majority will say nothing but good things about him at all levels.
    Limerick people aren't to blame. The board is, like cork ccb at times fans can't be blamed for their decisions.

• Advertisement

TTM.... The round 2 draws etc are only for losers. No draws for winning teams will be made until june. All winners of round 1 go straight to round 4 so it is not possible to know next oponents for winning teams. Its a bit of a shambles really as 14 of the original 16 teams go back into round 4 with the other 2 teams in relegation final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

Douglas for 2015 senior championship!!

Smith614 wrote: »
    TTM.... The round 2 draws etc are only for losers. No draws for winning teams will be made until june. All winners of round 1 go straight to round 4 so it is not possible to know next oponents for winning teams. Its a bit of a shambles really as 14 of the original 16 teams go back into round 4 with the other 2 teams in relegation final.
    My apologies

I thought way they had next round

It's a shambles system I agree
    Ballyhea be hoping douglas beat barrs so as barrs be seen better opponent face than douglas

When ballyhea announcement manager

TTM..Clem Smith seems the choice. Not sure if its official but its the name being thrown around.

The draws very interesting In all codes

Midelton will be delighted in Wallis should have easy game ist time v Killeagh
    Just look at coaching side imo there's miles of difference in both teams. Denis walsh no success anywhere really in coaching up against hugely successful Wallis with limerick, and cork senior, and in kerry club and this game if was going be won by killeagh only chance is tactical wise in yes kinery, maybee landers, Walsh, etc have few good players but midelton have array talent and be too string them
    Wallis will pick players In their best position and I expect full back to be sorted and likes lehane be played at half forward

I wouldn't be surprised if Jamie nagle be tried full and killian Burke move centre back or Patrick o mahony if he's back who's fine hurler moved out field but imo not full back

Wallis will win tactical battle if Walsh is in charge of Killeagh.
    Denis was fine player in both codes. But he's judged soley as a manager now as playing days are over and on record in managing hasn't set coaching world alight imo

Be interesting see Wallis back room team but guaranteed who's on it be top notch

They got nice draw imo and possibly youghal or na piarssigh next won't fear

Nightmare draw for ballyhea imo in blackrock will under Murphy actually play as team not individuals and they will just have too much power pace,and game plan and likes o callaghan, keoffes, niall cashman, joe loughe, Stephen Murphy they will beat ballyhea
    I'd worry hugely ballyhea not confirmed yet so remains to be seen who is manager but if it's one possibility they won't have any tactical battle ready and in truth could be really in for long hour in the game
    Even with good manager to beat blackrock with eddie Murphy tall order but if they have a poor manager I really fear they could be well beaten and they need to be competitive.

Pa callaghan be awesome but if he's poorly coached he could struggle as quilty really deserves immense credit getting best out him last year

Blackrock could have tough game v douglas or barrs and john cremin done well ist year and I expect I'f they find forward to add to eoghhan finn and colm Keane two good forward be solid team

Can't understand niall Cahalane joining as selector though hurling.
    Football yes but hurling????

Douglas have serious potential and they have potential and then rockiees if meet be great game
    Two clubs I like and like see do well

Sarsfields are short favourite for county imo can't see logic, I'n midelton or douglas or rockiees beat them and possibly glen
    Sarsfields are. Imo an old team, no scoring forwards bar one maybee and newton I agree smith, in ed daly brilliant strength conditions coach and organiser but I'm not sure coaching sense alone but if they had coach to compliment he's skill could beat them

They have talent and if they play fast open game could beat sarsfields

Glen have tough opener v Ballymartle and close game to call and winners could meet eirns own who are trying to build team,take time imo but few lads from successful junior team are on the way Up and bowens is good coach but if glen overcome ist round games they will be there or abouts as young team, Shane miller be back and of course if horgan actually delivered consistent season as club player from play and Delivered on undoubted outstanding talent could indeed be contenders real contenders for the county.

Football is good draws and clyda have tough opener in ned English terrific coach but he's coming up against brilliant James Mccarthy young innovative and with cork development squads back in as manager haven

Haven be like midelton hurling reneregisedd after year off and yes clyda be tough, solid, resolute have game plan ultimately I can see just one winner in close game in haven with hurley brothers and mark Collins have better forwards

In games like this clyda have difficulty as once they face team top coach they will struggle in means English great influence negated and then comes down better players and not system like kerry beat donegal. In system gives you platform for individuals brilliant players to perform so haven imo will win once they negated clyda system like kerry done to donegal and with James Mccarthy they have man like kerry had fitzmaurice to do that.

They beat English system with duhellow county final few years ago, in duhellow even had one great forward Donnach o connor so they can win war arrition and dog fights and with renewed hunger and fresh Ness will win
    Clyda imo won't be releageted in they won't face too many teams with haven forward quality or powerhouses at midfield in dinneen and good manager in Mccarthy so they will stay up

Lot respect between two clubs in both came on similar journeys, both have real club values, honesty, work ethic, pride jeresy beating big clubs and English would been cleary coach in cork job
    Should be good game.

I said before clyda would be like haven and win county if they had a top top forward in colm o Neill hurley,mac eoin etc

As for winner play likely carbery ranger's and imo repeat last year haven will win this time

Nemo got nice draw and repeat last year ballincollg play barrs, in imo barrs had poor coach in slocum who was a great great player for cork but gave the village a close game imo much much better coaches team with Tony leahy, cit and cork under twenty one fame in charge Could very well win that game.

Hard for ballincollg to maintain hunger last year but young talent is there and must drive on for more and in Kelly, kiely brothers, o donuughe and jennings and durrant who's fine at club level be hard to beat but imo think barrs will win this one

Intermediate hurling kanturk have tough game v castlelyons with crowley meant be coach and tough tough game
    Castlelyons with Spillane brothers. Colm Barry and imo niall o leary young yes but would not be surprised if he starts. So tough well able for it Browne kanturk minor last year started kanturk, so that's a close game imo.

Fermoy be happy with their draw imo, in the other intermediate grade I think charville win it this year and should beat arigeen ranger's and then possibly eire og.

Tough draw for champions castlemstyr in kildorrey be tough with mick Walsh and Peter o brien who won't have cork intermediate distraction and unlikely avondu will have long run so it's tough opener for east cork side

One key battle is obviously you put mick Walsh on Lawton, limit him huge chance to win and Peter o brien huge threat and beat best defenders in Galway. Tipp. Clare some under twenty one etc in last year cork all irelands triumph so it's going to be interesting to see imo who castle put to mark him
    It will be close game though and if connery stays they have good coach.
    If castle played a sweeper imo they would be better served and could do well In stop o brien kildorrey don't have any other real forward in he's class imo

The east cork side I imagine be happy in to extent in yes tough game but they avoided local derby.

Winners imo have tough game against likely Grenagh
    In football mallow be usual favourite but imo won't come close, I said this last year at start in may. Couldn't believe mallow they were favourites
    Win one or two games but imo crunch games won't win and apparently unsure if dorgan is manager again

If mallow had mick Donovan manager imo he'd be ideal imo but remain be seen if he is going to be the manager

Some interesting draws across board hard predict with certainly in cork scene being not knockout means ist round games can be lottery at times and we got wait til all management are finalised to imo know contenders and ones likely to struggle but so far in senior football imo I think it be nemo, haven, barrs a dark horse for good run and ballincollg if hunger is there

In hurling midelton, rockiees, and douglas be there or abouts , I can't see sarsfields being there and I hope their not In imo cork hurling needs new voice in club hurling one that can really push in munster club imo I don't mind who wins cork county in I'll be going for team I think has best opportunity to win club in munster cause cork hurling need one badly , in that case it will be based hughely on management and playing talent available.
    When I see two finalists I'll decide then

At a glance midelton. Blackrock offer cork imo best club munster hope in the next two years

Glen imo won't be far away in county In cork

I'n intermediate football, premier eire og or maybee naomh abhan may do it.
    Macroom have talent but lack spirit as a team imo
    I'm not sure who coaches them next year but they have talent but flatter to device imo

In intermediate football rockchapel or mticheetown I think will be there or bouts

In hurling

Intermediate I think charville and I hope they win it,fine young team brilliant coach peter finn and unlucky met very good fermoy but nothing between two teams

In premier hurling I think fermoy cloyne and castlelyons and kanturk despite meeting ist game be serious players in this grade
    Courcey have timmy Kelleher next year. Be interesting how they do but I can't see them winning it.

Cork double your right Wallis would stayed minors til end year and would stayed academy but limerick way or no way it seemed
    As I said before I feel for grass roots fans and coaches some them, but it's board at fault imo

Go limerick thread and see their version which is correct and be fair and all credit due majority fans support Wallis and as last post said over there the players hugely admired Wallis
    I said this many time in summer he's widely respected in limerick
    O grady ask many in limerick it's divided opinion.
    Wallis it's majority say nothing but praise for him.

Mention Wallis to limerick fans majority will say nothing but good things about him at all levels.
    Limerick people aren't to blame. The board is, like cork ccb at times fans can't be blamed for their decisions.

Would agree Midleton with Wallace in charge should go close if all the players are back, I fancy Douglas and Blackrock to be up there this year on the back of strength in depth, Ballyhea tough first match and could struggle. I love the premier intermediate hurling draw should all be mostly good games with Castlelyons v Kanturk standout that should be a cracking match, poor castlemartyr got a real tough draw v Kildorrey will be interesting AGM for them heard some of the footballers not to happy at being pulled out of championship this year. Roll on 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

"Sarsfields are short favourite for county imo can't see logic, "

The bookies logic would be that they have been the best team in the county for the last 4 years and won at their ease this year. No other team has shown that they have what it takes. In most sports the reigning champions would usually start a competition as favourites to win it again unless the bookies felt that there was an element of luck to their previous win and I don't think you could say that about Sars this year.
    Hope that helps

Every championship is completely different imo, and next year's is hugely in teams like midelton and blackrock, have two completely different management set ups than last year, in proven winning coaches at highest level and they have the talent

Douglas beat sarsfields, last year you will recall so they certainly can bear them this year

As for luck well I'd have to imo say they certainly had luck in they got glen rovers three weeks in row out so no doubt that affected glen

What must be taken in to the consideration is the ray Ryan,cussen , Cian mac, fraggie Murphy, tadhg og Murphy are all year older so when logic is applied imo fair and valid concerns to question sarsfields chance of winning it next year in midelton have confidence of two years ago and youth and now manager so sarsfields won't have it as easy this time imo

If rockiees meet them in early rounds imo there well capable beating them. Won't win county next year maybe not but rockiees certainly have younger fresher team imo.
    Not always teams win championship go as favourites take ireland win grand slam rubgy year after didn't go in as favourites In Ireland had go to France and England away so every year in certain scenario can be different and thus next year hurling classic example of that imo In landscape has changed considerably before even sliothar thrown in.
    Galway won under twenty one championship two years ago, football but last year were not the favourites
    It's going in as favourite is my point of debate
    A team or championship can change greatly in a year so just cause you win that year doesn't mean you imo be favourite next year

Clare won all ireland year before but kilkenny were favourites start year
    Some teams like dublin in football are, favourite as holder but not every team
    Kerry will be justified probably favourite in football with dublin and they justify it in tommy Walsh and Gooch are back, young kerry lads have winning expierence and belief now and can play two system play fully not new to it, and yes they have may retirement but overall be strong next year with Walsh and a fresh Gooch and likely very likely win munster championship easily so peak for certain games.

Judging next year for reasons I gave, my opinion is sarsfields don't justify favourite tags.

Yes sarsfields won two out of four championship last four years but midelton clearly contrary to a belief others haven't shown have what it takes clearly have shown last year win have what takes and win county under twenty one last year also in the double beating good blackrock team coached by wayne sherlock

Rockiees won under sixteen, minor under twenty one, clearly have what it takes and as I said then in summer would beat Ballymartle but for some imo poor sideline calls and conceding soft goals

Ballymartle are a fine team but rockiees had imo measure In that game and Eddie Murphy teams won't loose many games like that

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

Douglas. Rockies. Pairsaigh. Midleton. Erin's Own. Ballymartle. Sars. Bride Rovers. All to win first round ties.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭seventh7

On John O'Sullivan he is a lovely balanced hurler, he is very economical with his ball use and gets his forwards in great positions with his deliveries. In relation to his defense he doesn't get deep enough at times, but I think this is a tactical approach from Rochwstown, he drifts into great positions as an outlet for ball from half back line.

I think the cork minors should look at him but I don't think they will pick pick him.

Agreed when he was younger the called him John the whipper as he pulled on everything going. Rochestown have used him tactically and thats why he has been holding a higher line. He may not get the space from the Ag as Coughlan and Leary are physically bigger and whilst John is mobile the older lads may out muscle him. I am surprised the TTM has not done the match ups yet as this will be cruical to the outcome. Which ever coach gets it right wins.

• Advertisement

If I get time seventh I'll try do match up on the game

It's put back to 7.45 now
    Hopefully I'll get to go the game, if not I look forward reading match report here.

I often don't look forward in to these games in sense two cork teams in final and hard to pick one to follow
    Hopefully both teams play well

I don't mind who wins just hope no player gets injured
    Huge game but imo draw harty cup Thursday greater significant

Hopefully we get which I think we will get cracker

One man match is Kingston has be marked by gunning

If your douglas you try keep gunning away from the play if all possible, in sense if your douglas you put Kingston in full forward. If gunning is in there hold him, and then half forward line for douglas with Cormack could prosper as gunning Could be influential in the centre

Any news on Daniel meaney, talk was may be okay quatre final harty???

Sullivan is lovely player.,two great posts by it makes sense and seventh saying how good he is

I never thought he be cork minor start year so many ahead him but he's exceptional form has been brilliant in all competition callaghan cup and the under sixteen munster b winning team and harty should be on radar imo.
    Rochestowm and ag are two well coached sides. Tough game to call.
    Rochestown may on the basis their management imo have showed better in tactical battle so far

Charville beat Ard scoil in limerick ist year hurling final replay also recently, if anyone wants team I'll post it.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/outgoing-chairman-bob-ryan-disgusted-by-criticism-of-cork-footballers-302565.html

I just find this imo to be hard to agree with .
    Once comments are on field play surely cork gaa fans pay money to games follow are entitled to question the worst munster final loss in thirty years ,at home to kerry missing key key player.

It was mentioned cork play good football in the league. Outstanding I think it was said,and course the referee was blamed in mayo game like frank Murphy done

No mention out of either in the munster final appalling loss.
    No mention of luckily win v tipp.
    The league was meant to be a success.
    The league game by game when you anaylise it was okay
    Scraped past poor kildare by point
    Drew with Tyrone at home
    Scraped by derry in cork by a point
    Huge defeat to mayo
    Weetmeath didn't win single game so as sacked bealin so I find it hard get carried away the win
    Kerry has no interest league v cork.
    Dublin appalling defeat.
    In March credit due it as I said then was a fine win.
    Football he's right was nice to watch but team selection most games were strange at times imo.

Like wise in mcgrath cup.
    Beating poor college teams in sense there poor in no major interest in it and tipp clare were not I'm it etc so I wouldn't get carried away that.
    To be fair they didn't mention the mcgrath cup.

Ed coughlan I would actually trust as a man that knows he's football. So when he says he doesn't think cork done anything to come back in to game more mayo let gas off the pedal I don't belive we can just blame the referee
    He said in paper interview it was nothing cork done to come back.

Also no reference to the dissaster the dual code was.
    No mention how every single game midfield was struggling yet was not fixed
    No mention why Andrew sullivan walked off the panel mid summer
    Ronan Mccarthy and strength conditions coach leave yet cork concerns seem in their eyes be injustified for the new season
    Why did Damien Cahalane particularly football choose hurling
    No mention of the pre match critism of mayo and regards the referring.

All these are valid valid questions purely on the field of play yet it seems cork fans now can't critise.
    When can cork fans critise so?!??
    If we get relegated in league can we????
    Imo lot of cherry picking regards cork football Last year.

By this view point and frank Murphy critising the referee I geuinely worry if cork have bad year next year some reasons for the loss could be unjustified be made and quite possible a new term is given as all imo I could be wrong of course is we will hear the loss of two dual players, kerry away so always likely to win , the loss of ronan Mccarthy. Ist year of flanganan period transition etc etc is all well hear.
    Cuthbhert was stressing the point in interview Mccarthy huge huge loss to cork football.
    He's correct imo, one in that set up that imo was good coach.
    My fear is he's absence could be used with other reason to buy more time if cork have another poor year

I don't think to just say that cuthbhert introduced young players is good season in Denis walsh introduced young players in he's reign too.
    Cork still has core bout ten senior all Ireland winners this season so I don't buy that cork had a young team.
    We had The spine of a good team.
    Shields, cadogan, expierence Loughrey from antrim, Walsh, o Neill, Kelly, Goulding. Kerrigan, Donnacha o connor etc.

If cork can't critise geuinely after this year then it's a worry in how far does cork football decline before judgement can be made imo.

Just me. But if I was chairman, there's easy way to unite fans

I'd publicy as manager admit mistakes were made, I'd appointed proven coach, cork man preferably, I'd say minimum targets for league and championship and I'd say look support me til end championship, if I fail minimum targets my term should be reviewed.
    Fans would admire the courage,honesty and say look give him the year.
    Worry is more failure won't be questioned.
    The worry of this management certainly has not been erased when you see some names on mcgrath cup training panel.
    Every geuine cork fan wants cuthbhert be successful, course they do, there cork men, he I's, cork are successful.
    That's not the point.
    Point is imo cork people worry have we the manager to deliver success in what's a hugely talented panel In cork football.

Bob is right no one man owns cork football , imo to go further no one man owns cork gaa.
    Now to say everybody in cork gaa has a say in how it's run imo it's very hard to agree with that point., in the appointment process of cuthbhert and also why when questions are asked by Michael maguire last year, Shamrocks delegate, this year and like article said donal og cusack comments were not answered, it imo there never debated so imo it doesn't seem to suggest other wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

TTm, the support for Cuthbert from the executive has been unreal to see. Convention effectively turned into the support the football manager. I am amazed to see frank for all his faults and there are many, break his own principle of not criticising referees in order to justify cuthberts appalling year. His pitiful comments about beautiful league football deserve contempt but people must understand the context.
    As for ryan, well he has imo been an appalling chairman with his 'my way or the highway' pronouncements from the green velvet covered top table. However again this is the man who cast his chairmans vote to elect Cuthbert i.e the dual facilitator over the far superior cleary. His following of cork football from his childhood.......I wonder, he is like frank a hurling man first and foremost.
    However like yourself I have NO doubt however bad cork do in 2015 and imo cork will sink to division 2, heavy defeat in Killarney and out of the championship at quarter final stage - Cuthbert will get another year at least. That is the real pity of cork gaa, a total waste of huge potential

TTM what team would you pick with the players that are in training at the moment ? for the McGrath Cup in two weeks time ...cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

I tend to look at Frank's comments being directed at Kerry's stolen All Ireland title and the blatant favoritism shown to Kerry. For a start Coldrick from Meath erred badly in sending off Lee Keegan in the drawn match. Keegan gets reinstated after appealing to the CCCCCCCCCCCCCC and from that moment on Kerry were smiling. Coldrick has been slighted by Croke Park, and don't anybody tell me this wasn't a reflection on Meath whistlers in general. Somebody managed to get the replay fixed for Limerick, almost a home game for Kerry, and then they get another Meath ref. The less said about Reilly the better, but without his blatant 'errors' we would have a Mayo Donegal final.
    I hope Frank was referring to this sickening abuse of power and his suggestion that referring decisions gave us wrong results in some of our National Competitions points in the above direction.
    Ryan's disgust at the criticism directed towards the footballers is laughable as are most of his utterances during his tenure. In any case nobody blamed the footballers. They did blame the manager and his selectors and rightly so too. That effort against Kerry at home was a sacking offence and if Cubby folded his tent after the Mayo game he would have some respect from Cork football supporters. He would be forgiven for his lack of ability based on his lack of experience. Now he's in a hole and is digging a deeper one for himself and Cork's hapless senior footballers.

CORKDOUBLE wrote: »
    TTM what team would you pick with the players that are in training at the moment ? for the McGrath Cup in two weeks time ...cheers.

I think my first rule of principle is year two is to build stability and depth panel from day one so no nonessential wasting time picking half backs in corner backs or lads out of position

Every game matters now for cork , too much needless chopping and changing last year players had no sense direction imo where team was headed

Pick team with set defined clear system blanket style but fast counter attacking game based on pace and spatial awareness

Every team you pick you keep that in mind yes try different players but keep same system and pick lads only realistic chance starting championship no off wall selection

The full panel hasn't been officially announced so still interesting see full
    Halloran in goal yes kick outs are aera worked on but I still fail blame guy completely when he's had no midfield to aim at
    He can kick ball forty five yards proved club this year when scored some forty fives

Shields no way would think moving him out to half back this stage career

Jamie sullivan full back not corner but here give him games and see
    Cadogan injury free and thankfully playing One code should be better this year

Clancy
    Donoughue must as Sean said work on when he's in possession but in blanket defence is a buffer stop gap defender In holds the centre. Has real dog and bite in he's football and a toughness to defend so stop runners carving through centre in games
    Brian o driscoll superb passer,sublime vision and great attacking wing back but he can defend

Midfield huge huge problem
    Ideally I'd have Laoire and dinnen but there not imo on the panel
    Gould no imo as from played out position previous managers he's potential is never going be truly fulfilled as understandable he doesn't know if he's half forward. Half back or midfielder.
    Imo the cork version Keith earls rubgy wonderful talent wasted by poor management in jack of all trades master of none.

Maguire has to start every single game In mcgrath cup if possible and league as he's lacking expierence but only way games.
    What I fear though he's development will be hindered by not having expierence coherent midfield partner that will affect him in away trips up the north against tough northern opposition
    I'd chance Loughrey here às win breaking ball, good kick passing fine going forward and he's defending so poor he's not exposed
    Offer leadership and expierence of northern football so key imo to have that beside maguire.
    Not the ideal midfield but due to limited options I'm trying to make best what there
    Kiely has huge potential but you can't start him with maguire in both inexperienced.

John o rourke excellent footballer, great tracker back . Good defender. So much played half back college and cork at times in games. Can create and score and real tough but imo not seen anywhere near potential due to poor coaching
    If kerry had him he'd develop faster

Mark Collins he's playing in blanket. As sweeper link man defence to attack

Paddy Kelly superb year club football yes poor v Austin stacks but boxed in to the corner imo didn't suit him
    Vaughan named at fifteen but starting at twelve in absence by Collins sweeper allows Vaughan drop in to half forward line

If Vaughan is injury free. Huge potential,Real football intelligent. Understanding space. Athletic. Strong, beautiful feet. Wonderful kicking techniques and agility and strong and can create and score, similar to ciaran sheehan I'd play him.
    Now there will only be one sheehan but Vaughan has similar attributes.

Colm o Neill
    Brian hurley
    Both these two in full forward line can win their own ball and would relish in space in two man full forward line
    Hurley twice in last two years under twenty one when cork beat kerry by point, hurley was back defence and Last man with the ball, so hunger appetite work he had must bring to senior however imo it's easy do that for clearly as he believed in him.
    There's imo clear lack of belive due clear lack direction in current set up so very hard to have hunger, focus A want , a ferocious off the ball work ethic in such a set up.

That be my ist team for ist game.
    Imo I would not play Hodnet of carbery, cussen, Canty etc.
    Clancy other one, White, would all get chances but always drop out one or two never change the team completely in every game id try to built a spirit and understanding in my central spine of the team.
    I'd not play durrant either unless I heard fitzmaurice wanted him.
    And that imo won't happen.

• Advertisement

What is the story with Pa O'Callaghan and Micheal Cahalane lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭zetecescort

Brilliant brilliant messomric astoundingly great I mean really really great article about cork ladies football.
    What a read.
    Thanks zetezcourt sharing it here

That's great tribute to a great team

Hopefully they win team year this year
    They strike me as the type if they don't win team of the year won't loose too much sleep in their main focus is all ireland again next year and its hard to see anyone come close to them,kerry are gone imo and dublin are there but I think cork like kilkenny to tippeary have good their number.
    Galway imo in few years could he be a real emerging force.

One crucial crucial points was Elaine harte reading a co signed letter from players saying that after poor poor perfermonce wanted new manager around fourteen years ago at cork ladies agm
    The single biggest change imo was the change of attitude there were fed up shambles cork senior football camp was in ladies.

Look at the journey the beautiful beautiful heart endearing journey that has since unfolded, now in my eyes that real real romance fairly tale stuff not the talk some in cork have in senior play outstanding football in league at times yet in really really big games don't even come close like dublin in league, kerry and mayo yes mayo as that games cork were not one point inferior team. They were crucially time game blown out of it down by six or seven then as ed coughlan a cork man said mayo stopped playing.

See the point where she said she liked management,personally got on with them she was hurt having to do the role hand letter of no confidence but it needed to be done.
    Look at cork senior football for years in mens game.

If players done similar to Larry Tompkins after seven years or Brian cuthbhert now there would be controversy and contempt from top down and people be accused of agenda or usual bluster.or players getting too big for their boots.

Point is like Elaine harte scenario this is not personal at all all all your purely doing what rights for your county.in football sense.
    I have no doubt cuthbhert, Sexton. Sullivan,don Davis are nice men and love football and In four cases loyal great senior cork players.
    But there being judged on management alone,purely and soley.

Here's a scenario.

If a drunk driver and you were he's best friend hopped in to car , and asked you get in would you.
    Your sober now having logic thoughts purely based on reality what you see before you.

You knew him all your life.
    Most common sense people wouldn't do it as emotion of best friends goes out the windows, in logical decisions for your safety. Your friends safety and other roads users must be considered.

You won't hop in car. You won't even think bout it, and you'll make sure he doesn't either.
    This imo is concept where emotions liking people etc can't be confused with logic.
    It should be same with sport in your there to do a job you got keep emotional side out of it.
    Cody does it and no surprise why they win.
    You see it too many times management, new management come in and ruthless drop guys older reigme. That's right in cases but then when win with new team built they have this sense of staying loyal to them and can't drop them and same ruthless streak got them to the top they don't possess as they travelled such incredible journey with their band of brothers they remain too loyal.
    Counihan was ruthless brilliant when he first joined, way he stood firm to rightfully dropping masters and even when billy Morgan Mr cork football said cork would not win all ireland without him he stood to hes believe and even though Morgan is legend many actually support counihan magnificent call simply on field play he was right.
    Counihan though became too loyal to players that won him all ireland, if he kept same ruthless conviction he started with and had tactical coach imo would been brilliant as he's commitment, pass. Communications , character spirit to never give up field play were tremendous quality that any cork fan would acknowledge.

Exceptional managers are Cody and Ryan who pick on perferormance and if not performing you wont play.

Imo our former cork cork chairman and top board men. Out former greats, media etc should read this article on cork ladies and see its actually better to call things when there wrong as only then can real real progress be made and not paint pictures that don't exist.

In fact this article should be given to everybody chairman of every club in country that's fighting old traditional ways trying to make breakthrough imo.

Fair play to current women's manager then walking away after panel made it clear no confidence vote in them.
    If there no confidence in politics in party they normally resign.
    In cork gaa paticularly in mens game it's immune to any no confidence though and anybody that tables such motion seen as enemy within when in fact there far from the enemy there type people want, Crave,Desire cork gaa to truly fulfil the undoubted potential at all levels in cork gaa

Look at what happened with cork strikes.
    If county board listened simply listened to players and even judged Gerald Mccarthy two years purely as manager wouldn't got two year term or when players made it clear wouldn't play under him he would have resigned. We wouldn't had the dissaster that unfolded.
    Gerald legacy as player was never or will be questioned one of the greatest greatest midfielders in he's day in hurling not just in cork imo.
    As a player one of my heroes.
    As a manager I wouldn't rate him much purely based on he's record
    You see this is nothing against him. But when credit due you give it, when not you don't.
    It's that simple imo you judge a manager.

Cuthbhert simply being judged manager so critism of many geuine fans is soley on that and surely eternal optimist can say well there's concerns here to be fair.
    The only media man to raise concerns clearly was eammon macsweenry in Sunday independent in the summer.
    I have huge huge huge respect admiration for christy o connor many times said im fan, still read he's articles, he gave ringing endorsement of cuthbhert and imo
    Should waited till he knew selection appointments.
    To be fair he had mentioned that it be crucial but imo wait too know full picture before we judge
    Information opens up the world of possibilities imo.
    As soon as I saw selection appointment I'd grave concerns lack real real proven, tactical coach in set up and overall said very naive inexperienced back room team that when you compared to the mayo. Dublin kerry, Tyrone, donegal cork were imo miles off.

Fair enough christy opinion but imo surprisingly he's research is consistently so so brilliant was imo incorrect in he's said club expierence cuthbhert was extensive, but he failed to look at lack success at club level ballyclough, Bishopston etc.
    Imo many managers manage lots clubs don't mean there good though.

I would like to think a man of he's wisdom gaa Knowledge, if is bad year and he's a real statistical man will start to ask questions of cork set up if there relegated,as if we're relegated stats won't be pretty, I hope to god cork are not, as despite the pr spin just like in hurling imo relegation would be a dissaster of dissaster if that happens this year for cork football with level of talent they have.

I say this now rather been seen jump on bandwagon after.
    With draws of four away games it's real real concern imo.
    Dublin will come to cork to win, and could very well win it.
    Kerry loosing first few league games if start slow will actually take cork game seriously for once
    I hope kerry loose first two league games as I want no false dawn when we meet in the league.
    You want to beat kerry only when you know they want to win.
    The only game im confident of is mayo as I can't see joint manager working.

See the way Juliet Murphy said cork football had no tradition or culture at senior.
    See how it was developed.
    Now cork mens football has traditional seven all ireland not much but it's start ladiesthe never had. Cork had some foundation to build a house. Cork ladies started from nothing in a sense at senior

Cork football if they demand more don't just accept their fate Do what cork ladies did change their future they could be great.

Cork ladies had talent in win club titles and underage etc , current senior football team very similar the talent is there.
    I really really hope that for the love of cork football , that purely on results this year if things are not right we get which did not get last year is realistic assessment and former cork greats etc purely judge on field play cork football and if it's good say it but if it's bad say it as again attuide not to accept things are bad means how can cork change for the betteer.
    This dare not critise motto won't serve cork football any good in future and those belive it fair enough but imo they fool of no one but themselves.

Cork ladies had no real traditional values or history yet took tremendous courage bold conviction to say enough is enough we can't stay under current management.
    Nothing is impossible to the brave and faithful is munster rubgy.
    That springs to mind cork football at ladies.
    That same courage and willingness to evolve and fight for better future off the field really showed those players had real values to win on it.

That article and I read some good ones this year has to be the best this year.
    What an inspirational read, unbelievable imo.
    Ryan when he went in had proven record at clubs in senior. Intermediate. Junior in cork mens game in hurling also with two senior county na piarssigh. All ireland male minors football title.
    You can't beat a proven track record at any level in management.
    Great management is truly imo king of the jungle.

Just watch cork minors hurling which I'm hugely hugely justifiable confident munster final appearance at least as landscape changed both cork limerick considerably last week, Under twenty football , junior football , all thrive next year.
    Under twenty one hurling will also. May not win munster but will make huge improvement

Intermediate hurling can't be judged til year two as new team but as long dwane isn't main guy may do okay but I'd worry as dwane record is poor In management.
    Cork hurling, is undecided imo in landers may work, we're not sure just yer but I'd expect cork to get all ireland hurling semi final and I disagree strongly jbm today paper winning munster is easiest way all ireland.
    That who knows could be just spin doctoring to be fair to jbm.
    I find hard believe munster title is he's goal next year.
    Last year I done preview of cork chances all codes both men and women and I was right in practically my assessment majority

I'd said cork hurling could be but greatest concerns was tactically.
    Cork football feared but I never saw humiliating defeat to kerry by that scales
    I was wrong.

I was wrong in under twenty one hurling. Gave cork no chance v Waterford.
    Cork won but waterford were poor and Patrick Collins gave awesome awesome display goal keeping that saved cork.
    Imo he should be keeper in team of the year as he's breathing display had salvaged win against odds on a poorly managed cork team.
    Collins was unbelievable that night.
    If anyone thinks it's hard to judge team chances imo it's not, start from management and back room team and then assess

Talent is absolutely irrelevant if coaching is not there to coach them, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ANNONCORK

Don't think O Callaghan is interested Orizio !

Ag mhuire v rochestown in the callaghan cup

This is strange for Me in doing the match ups.
    In both cork teams I have no real preference one over other so maintain that neutrality I'd said I say what would work for both teams as normally if was just one cork team I'd say what cork needed just do to win.
    I don't think any team will play a sweeper in be open game and after playing doon and then castetroy period with sweeper when coutes sent off and colmans also in this cup no reason why ag can't near a sweeper if one faces them

Rochestown have faced caoimhins and beaten Paul kinnerks sweeper system so they know how to beat one.

If your rochestowm you would would rather Griffin outstanding full back play lee in that he's strength and direct style more suited him than the night mare gunning is to mark in he's so elusive and fast
    It's no exaggeration to say most defender in country not county would struggle hold dan gunning

He's touch is awesome , pace electric. Feet are balanced magnificent and he's hurling brain matched with dog and bite in he's hurling in he's great to tough it out win dirty ball and he's ruthless in front of goal, if it's on he'll go for it none this soft scoring option nonsense.

Just sixteen he's going to get better and better and better

If your ag you put dayne lee this game only at full forward in Griffin may mark him but gunning and sheehan just fifteen awesome talent then even though Murphy is good back its hard to hold all three of gunning sheehan and lee as outstanding Griffin would have enough to do hold lee.

If I was Douglas I'd play sweeper with magnificent Ryan cantwell in role in just between full back line and half back line as your douglas best chance to have stop gunning lee and sheehan is stop them at source getting ball as if get it be almost impossible to stop

If your ag fan and rochestowm play sweeper then you move out lee and him aherne ball winners but can score with bhraham if fit half forward line then can score distance beat sweeper so there's options there

If your rochestowm you have problems in Griffin needed half back to stop aherne or lee if both start there but he's needed also inside then in full back line, cashman could have tough hour in watching aherne
    Kelleher sheehan are good backs but aherne just sixteen is just class

Midfield should be mouthwatering o brien and course brilliant sullivan up against coughlan fine hurler complimented by leary

I expect Cormack rochestowm and bhraham for mhuire ag to both drop back help teams also in midfield battle.

If your rochestowm you put Shane Kingston in full forward, keeps eddie gunning occupied as gunning can't be free man he'll control game like dan carter all blacks if allowed.
    He's a diamond.

You sacrifice potential Kingston with gunning in if gunning I's kept inside Cormack and I'd bring Powter out half forward could score but callaghan and Donovan no bad defenders

If your ag mhuire you try keep gunning at centre back to do that you put callaghan back to full back on Kingston with sullivan double defending him on breaking ball. Yes you leave spare man free for douglas but leaving liam sullivan or lynch free while good hurler won't do damage like Kingston

That leaves gunning free to control the centre.

I don't mind who wins this game but if I had choose maybee ag slightly only fact lost dean Ryan cup two years ago ideally don't want them loose second final in they may begin doubt themselves and rochestown I don't think will in won all group games and munster b there on crest wave

Impossible to call as match ups could be anything but I'd say ag will edge it but lot depends on lordan and shorten and o grady reading game as been mixed bag so far in were not on ball v castetroy, doon were but still had wrong man on barry Murphy so I'm still not convinced.
    O grady imo has have leading say in the team selection now in harty and he should coach coaches as they could learn from he's astute reading of the game.
    A draw be ideal result once replay went ahead before Christmas.
    you don't want any injuries or huge loosing margin by either team as harty cup quarter finals is close and these two team probably have best chance any cork teams winning it but hammies if avoid Ard scoil could go very far.
    Youghal huge admiration for but can't see them winning harty cup as they lack fire power bar Dalton.
    However there certainly would have a real chance to beat castetroy imo should they meet.

Draw harty tonight at 8

Plenty to talk about cork hurling later school wise

Let's hope cork get good draw

Hamilton avoid Ard scoil and rochestown too avoid them hopefully
    Hopefully Hamilton avoid ag mhuire hopefully rochestown avoid ag mhuire

Rochestown got nenagh be ideal

Hopefully ag mhuire get Thurles imo well capable winning and youghal get castetroy

• Advertisement

sean mac wrote: »
    TTm, the support for Cuthbert from the executive has been unreal to see. Convention effectively turned into the support the football manager. I am amazed to see frank for all his faults and there are many, break his own principle of not criticising referees in order to justify cuthberts appalling year. His pitiful comments about beautiful league football deserve contempt but people must understand the context.
    As for ryan, well he has imo been an appalling chairman with his 'my way or the highway' pronouncements from the green velvet covered top table. However again this is the man who cast his chairmans vote to elect Cuthbert i.e the dual facilitator over the far superior cleary. His following of cork football from his childhood.......I wonder, he is like frank a hurling man first and foremost.
    However like yourself I have NO doubt however bad cork do in 2015 and imo cork will sink to division 2, heavy defeat in Killarney and out of the championship at quarter final stage - Cuthbert will get another year at least. That is the real pity of cork gaa, a total waste of huge potential

Good post as far as I remember Cleary was the better choice but the board wanted Cuthbert. The football was not good to watch IMO Cuthbert did not know what sort of style he wanted to play blanket approach more kicking as it turned out it was a mis match of styles which I think affected the players as the Kerry match typified as they were totally at sea that day. Sure they rallied against mayo but It will be interesting to see what system he attempts to play this year.

Not sure why the board were trying to defend as it was a bad season, better to say that and say we will try and do better this season coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭Horse84

North mon defence being ripped to shreds here. Rochestown have wasted about 3 goal chances

Frank Murphy giving criticising referees at inter-county level. Cmere now Franky boiii u should start at home by sorting out the referees in Cork who are turning Cork hurling into a non contact sport. Cork hurling needs to man up and referees need to man up and leave em at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭zetecescort

Harty Cup Quarter-Finals
    A Hamilton High School Bandon V Ardscoil Rís
    B Rochestown College V Nenagh CBS
    C Castletroy CC V Pobalscoil na Tríonóide Youghal
    D Thurles CBS V Gaelcolaiste Mhuire AG

Corn Uí Mhuirí Quarter-Finals
    A Rochestown College V Coláiste Na Sceilge
    B St Brendans V HS Clonmel
    C Clonakilty CC V IS Killorglin
    D PS Chorca Dhuibhne V Tralee CBS

Semi-Finals: A v B, C v D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Some big strong lads playing on that Roco team. Made the difference big time. Won the physical battle everywhere. Impressive side.

Small bit disappointed with the AG. They went to make it a tactical battle and looked to be confusing themselves.

AG playing Lee at 11 isn't the best idea. He's not a player that will dominate from there. Corner or full forward for me.

Game will do both teams well I'm sure

Harty Cup Quarter-Finals

Corn Uí Mhuirí Quarter-Finals
    A Rochestown College V Coláiste Na Sceilge
    B St Brendans V HS Clonmel
    C Clonakilty CC V IS Killorglin
    D PS Chorca Dhuibhne V Tralee CBS

Semi-Finals: A v B, C v D[/QUOTE

TTM you nearly got all 4 Harty games correct ....

Brilliant draws for cork schools ones I wanted bar Ard scoil v hammies

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/leinster-senior-football-colleges-1836687-Dec2014/
    But all three have chance of winning.

Rochestown don't have much fear in nenagh imo
    I watched nenagh play challenge game Sunday gone, first time I saw them this year, good qualities but certainly beatable and what I heard midelton could beaten them bar poor management and as I said midelton picked wrong team that simple really and truly at the end of the day

I think rochestown management so shrewd they will have their home work done on nenagh.
    Stop two key forward nenagh, rochestown will win.

Youghal best hope was castetroy and they got them they with a plan can win

Ag on paper can win v Thurles but after tonight as I thought would win edge it only if match ups I said we're got right   but management really concern me in tactical stakes as they got it badly wrong at start but crucially they didn't react games flow at all.
    O grady simply got to, take over key selection and tactical side or Thurles will beat them handy.
    With o grady they can go a long way imo.

Hammies have chance but Ard scoil be favourites but that game likely be mallow and Hamilton beat dungarvan mallow last year .
    Got hammered by Ard scoil the ist round last year but actually gave great display v Ard scoil the last day but Ard scoil had wind huge Advantage in got lead hard come back and Ard scoil got lucky goal

Hard see Hamilton winning but having said that won't lack courage but If keep close ist half gives them hope. Any team can it's hammies but got to simply got to play a system where full back line is protected in there conceding goals and don't have a full back in presence outstanding commander in Michael macsweenry like last year.

Semi final draw
    Tough for rochestown who could likely face Ard scoil should they beat nenagh
    But they imo would be real danger to Ard scoil. Expierence last year, and there strong team and management are very good and fahy is oola man so be aware limerick hurling and Ard scoil.

Ag if they get act together glorious chance in beat Thurles would not fear castetroy or youghal.

Good draw in three games and no cork derby.
    As double said Three draws I hoped for cork teams they got.

Overall good for rochestown in fact great draw to get nenagh, tough one v Ard scoil if they meet in the semi final.
    Daniel Meaney if he can be back by semi final should they make it remains to be seen , then huge huge bonus as if meet Ard scoil they need to have him v ronan lynch. Need he's expierence up against vastly expierence ronan lynch

Cork senior footballers play ist game 2015 v Mary I mcgrath cup mallow 4th January
    Cork will win this in canter.
    So I won't be getting carried away, cork turned corner and yes progress made on that game alone.
    This game absolutely minimum expectation is win by at least eight points in cork football back training last two months or so and college teams have lot disruption over Xmas with main focus on siger son cup competition.
    Tippeary be corks biggest test in this competition imo.

What's important is team selection and the key is midfield pairing as yes ist game but you can always find key indicators of teams directon and vision under management even these games by crucially examining key positional selections.

As for tonight final callaghan cup
    Tactically ag were poor that's fault management you can not blame the players.
    Rochestown on paper may not have stars in numbers às ag mhuire but they do brilliantly tactical wise Longeran and fahy have boys well drilled
    Tremendous congratulations to them callaghan cup huge win. And in ist year harty cup reached semi final last year so expierence last year stand to them just like with Hamilton

Rochestowm selector I said before was at youghal v csoimhins to anaylise both teams, shows research they do and tonight again got it spot on tactically wise.

Aidan longergan from Cashel in the back room team and a top top coach so he'll know tippeary hurling inside out and knows nenagh

Lee was right to be half forward any game bar this as said preview time was to put in full tonight limited Griffin even didn't score meant Griffin couldn't command aera, with lee out there Griffin expierence of playing under twenty one carriglaine showed it he had sheehan and gunning covered at times from play in covered he's zone brilliantly and ag mhuire had no real real leader line inside when needed expierence

One time lee should played inside,they played him outfield tonight , v castetroy when should players him outside in this game they played him inside in the full forward line.

John sullivan has be looked at for cork has be.
    Lads here called him whooper nickname , my nickname is he's like a magpie for scavenging loose ball Which imo ultimately huge huge compliment time and again he comes out in a swarm bodies again again with the ball.

He's like a magpie in natural instinct scavenging ball to survive and such predatory awareness of any people coming close to him in he always one step ahead he's enemy.
    Two years left at this level and minors he's superb player.
    He's just sixteen but clearly good enough cork minors as limerick played few under sixteen last year.
    This lad has had an exceptional year In under sixteen munster b, callaghan and harty cups.

Wonderful game tonight by Kingston at times mcormack, Griffin, and sullivan and Murphy.

Dan gunning never got enough quality ball but was good when got ball and Griffin read line well also.
    Aherne I felt shouldn't be taken off, leary, callaghan had good games.

Gunning was very good at back but rochestown kept him away centre, and when he full back played short ball so bypassed him.
    Tactical warfare again in school games tremendous credit rochestown for tactically getting system right to fulfill brilliant hurling skill of players they have.

Good game but six points loss but thank fully wasn't big scores to demoralised them for Thurles game.
    If ag learn they can improve.
    But that's two games now and in parts v doon imo they tactical wise been found out.
    Management imo are at a crossroads now,must choose the right road Do so an incredible journey awaits.
    If they choose the wrong path they could go down a cul de sac.
    If beat Thurles they have huge chance getting to a harty cup final that in itself guarantees them if they make the final two games at least.

One other issue of note waterford hurling got beaten again tonight that's four challenge games in row beaten now so there seriously trouble there as can't win challenge games even in wexford. Galway. Dubs, clare, beat them

The good news for cork is mcgrath hasn't got clue what he's doing, saw Friday games poor coached team.

Likely hood is mcgrath could be gone by the summer so it remains to be seen who will go in with one leading man who imo who would make an excellent coach them I's joining Laois hurling having worked in cork club scene

Jamsie o connor who brilliantly coach carrigtohill could be coach of another team already, daly in limerick, they have limited options it would seem to fill if mcgrath goes.
    I geuinely feel for Waterford as hurling talent Is there and cork football is in a similar scenarios imo even so when some said paper that Waterford being too critical of mcgrath just like cork say same cuthbhert, when mcgrath has had poor start year,coaches leaving and he couldn't even have a sub goal keeper for wexford challenge game.

Clare winning shows intent imo in playing challenge now seriously targeting the league.
    Cork need to stop doing lot fitness and start doing ball work.
    They say things happens in three, Wallis leaving limerick, hartnett joining cork, and now harty cup draw been relatively good its imo been good week for cork hurling.

Rochestown will imo struggle in the football, clonakilty will have a chance v killorgin imo.
    Worry for rochestown is the dual players imo.
    School doing brilliant munster b hurling champions,harty cup and corn u mhuire quatre finals.
    There a credit to cork.
    Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭seventh7

Brilliant draws for cork schools ones I wanted bar Ard scoil v hammies

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/leinster-senior-football-colleges-1836687-Dec2014/
    But all three have chance of winning.

Rochestown don't have much fear in nenagh imo
    I watched nenagh play challenge game Sunday gone, first time I saw them this year, good qualities but certainly beatable and what I heard midelton could beaten them bar poor management and as I said midelton picked wrong team that simple really and truly at the end of the day

I think rochestown management so shrewd they will have their home work done on nenagh.
    Stop two key forward nenagh, rochestown will win.

Youghal best hope was castetroy and they got them they with a plan can win

Ag on paper can win v Thurles but after tonight as I thought would win edge it only if match ups I said we're got right   but management really concern me in tactical stakes as they got it badly wrong at start but crucially they didn't react games flow at all.
    O grady simply got to, take over key selection and tactical side or Thurles will beat them handy.
    With o grady they can go a long way imo.

Hammies have chance but Ard scoil be favourites but that game likely be mallow and Hamilton beat dungarvan mallow last year .
    Got hammered by Ard scoil the ist round last year but actually gave great display v Ard scoil the last day but Ard scoil had wind huge Advantage in got lead hard come back and Ard scoil got lucky goal

Hard see Hamilton winning but having said that won't lack courage but If keep close ist half gives them hope. Any team can it's hammies but got to simply got to play a system where full back line is protected in there conceding goals and don't have a full back in presence outstanding commander in Michael macsweenry like last year.

Semi final draw
    Tough for rochestown who could likely face Ard scoil should they beat nenagh
    But they imo would be real danger to Ard scoil. Expierence last year, and there strong team and management are very good and fahy is oola man so be aware limerick hurling and Ard scoil.

Ag if they get act together glorious chance in beat Thurles would not fear castetroy or youghal.

Good draw in three games and no cork derby.
    As double said Three draws I hoped for cork teams they got.

Overall good for rochestown in fact great draw to get nenagh, tough one v Ard scoil if they meet in the semi final.
    Daniel Meaney if he can be back by semi final should they make it remains to be seen , then huge huge bonus as if meet Ard scoil they need to have him v ronan lynch. Need he's expierence up against vastly expierence ronan lynch

Cork senior footballers play ist game 2015 v Mary I mcgrath cup mallow 4th January
    Cork will win this in canter.
    So I won't be getting carried away, cork turned corner and yes progress made on that game alone.
    This game absolutely minimum expectation is win by at least eight points in cork football back training last two months or so and college teams have lot disruption over Xmas with main focus on siger son cup competition.
    Tippeary be corks biggest test in this competition imo.

What's important is team selection and the key is midfield pairing as yes ist game but you can always find key indicators of teams directon and vision under management even these games by crucially examining key positional selections.

As for tonight final callaghan cup
    Tactically ag were poor that's fault management you can not blame the players.
    Rochestown on paper may not have stars in numbers às ag mhuire but they do brilliantly tactical wise Longeran and fahy have boys well drilled
    Tremendous congratulations to them callaghan cup huge win. And in ist year harty cup reached semi final last year so expierence last year stand to them just like with Hamilton

Rochestowm selector I said before was at youghal v csoimhins to anaylise both teams, shows research they do and tonight again got it spot on tactically wise.

Aidan longergan from Cashel in the back room team and a top top coach so he'll know tippeary hurling inside out and knows nenagh

Lee was right to be half forward any game bar this as said preview time was to put in full tonight limited Griffin even didn't score meant Griffin couldn't command aera, with lee out there Griffin expierence of playing under twenty one carriglaine showed it he had sheehan and gunning covered at times from play in covered he's zone brilliantly and ag mhuire had no real real leader line inside when needed expierence

One time lee should played inside,they played him outfield tonight , v castetroy when should players him outside in this game they played him inside in the full forward line.

John sullivan has be looked at for cork has be.
    Lads here called him whooper nickname , my nickname is he's like a magpie for scavenging loose ball Which imo ultimately huge huge compliment time and again he comes out in a swarm bodies again again with the ball.

He's like a magpie in natural instinct scavenging ball to survive and such predatory awareness of any people coming close to him in he always one step ahead he's enemy.
    Two years left at this level and minors he's superb player.
    He's just sixteen but clearly good enough cork minors as limerick played few under sixteen last year.
    This lad has had an exceptional year In under sixteen munster b, callaghan and harty cups.

Wonderful game tonight by Kingston at times mcormack, Griffin, and sullivan and Murphy.

Dan gunning never got enough quality ball but was good when got ball and Griffin read line well also.
    Aherne I felt shouldn't be taken off, leary, callaghan had good games.

Gunning was very good at back but rochestown kept him away centre, and when he full back played short ball so bypassed him.
    Tactical warfare again in school games tremendous credit rochestown for tactically getting system right to fulfill brilliant hurling skill of players they have.

Good game but six points loss but thank fully wasn't big scores to demoralised them for Thurles game.
    If ag learn they can improve.
    But that's two games now and in parts v doon imo they tactical wise been found out.
    Management imo are at a crossroads now,must choose the right road Do so an incredible journey awaits.
    If they choose the wrong path they could go down a cul de sac.
    If beat Thurles they have huge chance getting to a harty cup final that in itself guarantees them if they make the final two games at least.

One other issue of note waterford hurling got beaten again tonight that's four challenge games in row beaten now so there seriously trouble there as can't win challenge games even in wexford. Galway. Dubs, clare, beat them

The good news for cork is mcgrath hasn't got clue what he's doing, saw Friday games poor coached team.

Likely hood is mcgrath could be gone by the summer so it remains to be seen who will go in with one leading man who imo who would make an excellent coach them I's joining Laois hurling having worked in cork club scene

Jamsie o connor who brilliantly coach carrigtohill could be coach of another team already, daly in limerick, they have limited options it would seem to fill if mcgrath goes.
    I geuinely feel for Waterford as hurling talent Is there and cork football is in a similar scenarios imo even so when some said paper that Waterford being too critical of mcgrath just like cork say same cuthbhert, when mcgrath has had poor start year,coaches leaving and he couldn't even have a sub goal keeper for wexford challenge game.

Clare winning shows intent imo in playing challenge now seriously targeting the league.
    Cork need to stop doing lot fitness and start doing ball work.
    They say things happens in three, Wallis leaving limerick, hartnett joining cork, and now harty cup draw been relatively good its imo been good week for cork hurling.

Rochestown will imo struggle in the football, clonakilty will have a chance v killorgin imo.
    Worry for rochestown is the dual players imo.
    School doing brilliant munster b hurling champions,harty cup and corn u mhuire quatre finals.
    There a credit to cork.
    Fair play to them.
    I am absolutely astounded by the Ag mentors. Rochestown deserved their victory they won all the key battles. The first half was a game of chess and was dour and not at all entertaining. Their is no doubt the Ag have the players but the mentors do seem to be struggling. Taking off Killian Aherne was a suicidal move and the tatic of having him hugging the sideline away from the main area's of play is simply astounding.
    One example of play highlights the flaws in the AG thinking and player choice Aherne won a ball on the far side broke a tackle and played a looping hand pass over the unrushing defender to Hanafin, hanafin cut for the corner, aherne continued his run to give him an option. the pass was on and Aherne had a clear run on goal, Hanfin struck an aimless ball across the pitch which ran out of play. This typfies the kind of play I have seen from the AG all year and and against lesser teams they have gotten away with this. In my opinion they have quality young players but don't have the confidence to use them.

Some needs to tell lordan and Co that this Aherne kid needs a central role either in the middle of the park or as a centre froward with Dayne lee feeding off him. This is a no brainer. Lee apart from his goal was annyomous he is continually being played out of position where he can't influence games. it is not his fault as he is trying hard. Coughlan and Leary were outplayed and outmuscled in midfield and its evident that Leary is essentially a half back and is out of his depth in the midfield area. Donovan was excellent at half back but he was essentially on his own. Kingston and pouter were excellent for rochestown very mobile and hungry. Eddie gunning is a fine hurler but he was obivously under instruction to hit diagonal cross field balls, this back fired when they were cut out and over hit regularly. Evan sheehan and Dan Gunning need low ball to prosper they fed off scraps. They got no service. When the game intensified early in the second half the AG went missing. Braham who replaced aherne took one hit and went mising for the remainder of the game. Sullivan was good for Rochestown but he did have a free role.
    Danny Gunning was the shining light for the Ag superlatives do him no justice. I was glad I paid to see him play, simply awesome.
    Rochestown were good value for their win and great credit is due to them. I agree with TTM that O' Grady needs to get involved with the team selection as I can see the Ag exiting the competition against my old alma mater Thurles CBS. Given the fact 12 of the starting 15 are from the Na parsaigh club then perhaps a little consultaton with the mentors might put them on the right track regarding playing individuals in correct positions. It might help otherwise I fear this is as far as they go in the harty. It would be a shame as they have serious talent at their disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Predictions:
    A ASR
    B RoCo
    C Castletroy
    D Thurles

A v B ASR

C v D Thurles

Final
    Thurles

seventh7 wrote: »
    I am absolutely astounded by the Ag mentors. Rochestown deserved their victory they won all the key battles. The first half was a game of chess and was dour and not at all entertaining. Their is no doubt the Ag have the players but the mentors do seem to be struggling. Taking off Killian Aherne was a suicidal move and the tatic of having him hugging the sideline away from the main area's of play is simply astounding.
    One example of play highlights the flaws in the AG thinking and player choice Aherne won a ball on the far side broke a tackle and played a looping hand pass over the unrushing defender to Hanafin, hanafin cut for the corner, aherne continued his run to give him an option. the pass was on and Aherne had a clear run on goal, Hanfin struck an aimless ball across the pitch which ran out of play. This typfies the kind of play I have seen from the AG all year and and against lesser teams they have gotten away with this. In my opinion they have quality young players but don't have the confidence to use them.

Some needs to tell lordan and Co that this Aherne kid needs a central role either in the middle of the park or as a centre froward with Dayne lee feeding off him. This is a no brainer. Lee apart from his goal was annyomous he is continually being played out of position where he can't influence games. it is not his fault as he is trying hard. Coughlan and Leary were outplayed and outmuscled in midfield and its evident that Leary is essentially a half back and is out of his depth in the midfield area. Donovan was excellent at half back but he was essentially on his own. Kingston and pouter were excellent for rochestown very mobile and hungry. Eddie gunning is a fine hurler but he was obivously under instruction to hit diagonal cross field balls, this back fired when they were cut out and over hit regularly. Evan sheehan and Dan Gunning need low ball to prosper they fed off scraps. They got no service. When the game intensified early in the second half the AG went missing. Braham who replaced aherne took one hit and went mising for the remainder of the game. Sullivan was good for Rochestown but he did have a free role.
    Danny Gunning was the shining light for the Ag superlatives do him no justice. I was glad I paid to see him play, simply awesome.
    Rochestown were good value for their win and great credit is due to them. I agree with TTM that O' Grady needs to get involved with the team selection as I can see the Ag exiting the competition against my old alma mater Thurles CBS. Given the fact 12 of the starting 15 are from the Na parsaigh club then perhaps a little consultaton with the mentors might put them on the right track regarding playing individuals in correct positions. It might help otherwise I fear this is as far as they go in the harty. It would be a shame as they have serious talent at their disposal.

It's truly truly beyond belief that management can't read a game

How many times have we said before games me and you what they need to do yet they Make poor calls so if we can see it why can't they
    Lordan has good quality but I'd have him coach drill o grady has take over

It was appalling imo that I like many knew barry Murphy doon was main danger man last harty game and gunning needed mark him yet ag nearly lost that game by the failure to start gunning on him then couldn't even put gunning on him in the game

Thurles are good but west college's drew them
    As I said before and after Ard scoil had wrong team picked that game so Thurles are not good as they think are

Flannans are not teams of old in Ard scoil. B team beat them handy

Thurles can be beaten

Lee being called up cork senior panel as well has to be managed right
    Under no circumstances does he play ist game on eleventh January as harty quatre final following week

Rochestown will win v nenagh in two men you stop

You put Griffin on hayden
    And you put cashman on cahalan
    Cahalan lords air I mean lord air
    I nearly even take Griffin out need be swap cashman if required

Kennedy and peters half back are strong and loughanne gave exhibition hurling v brilliant darragh Carroll in game v limerick minors Sunday so needs be watched but there difficulty is stop cahalan and hayden other forwards lack scoring

In that challenge game they on possession absolutely were equal most game if nit even ahead problem was two main forward were out so they struggle up front as seen by low score return

Also full back line as unit is weak in hammies took them for four and limerick minors full forward line took them for three goals and like houninhan Fitzgerald, mackey were not playing

Excellent full forward Davy hannon got two goals the pallasgreen hurling player so he's good but imo Kingston as good if not better you start Kingston full forward with Powter
    The full back line have no choice but drop peters or Kennedy back thus do that they limit influence either in centre and Kennedy long scoring potential is diminishes playing deep

Cormack is given freedom to score at half forward then

Nenagh have be respect in well coached and have great attuide and work ethic and credit to school and tipp hurling what they achieved but rochestown on paper imo have too much for them

Obviously need have match up right and lads must be focused

Youghal can win but have players sweeper as doon beat castetroy that system colmans had pushed them close with sweeper
    They don't like it
    Youghal one to nine fine
    Have to put darragh o brien on Nash no ifs and buts

Nash too expierenced at minor under twenty one limerick to put brilliant sixteen year old Kevin Murphy on him
    Dalton need to take Andrew la touché once they cancel each other out fine
    They must simply must start David abgreendaahor from killeagh to have any chance

Keep it close low scoring this is winnable

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement