Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭seventh7

Fair point on but I don't buy the top of the ground and the dry sod and mularkey. Gunning, Aherne, and sheehan didn't get in behind the defence they ran through it, they too have had a huge amount of games in the last fortnight. December or August there is no way a Cork minor side should be turned over by School side especially a side without 5 of its starting 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Lads, a challenge game at 9oc in Dec, some of those kids had 3 matches in 5 days, tired legs on heavy ground.

AG had a point to prove after wed, and came out second half with a mission i was told, the minors had made a few changes and gunning got in behiind the defence - fair play to them they needed the win, but wouldt be reading too much into it. the hurling and the sod will be different by championship comes around

TTM you are some man for the stats, the the way you trotted out those numbers. thanks for that interesting reading. you forgot a few of your favorites, looney and o mahogany, and what about ronan lynch, although hes seems to have a more defensive roll this year
    i dont agree about daniel meaney, with the injury he had and seven month lay off, he wouldnt have a snowballs chance at all at all against ronan lynch no matter how much experience he has, id be throwing him in corner forward for 15mins tis as much as you could ask of him if he even get to that - anyway Rochestown have to get over Nenagh first, one match at a time sweet jesus

na piarsaigh in limerick were beaten by ahane minor championship at the weekend, Tom Morrissey got 10 of ahanes 11 points - a load of piarssaighs players with ASr and there good, but no way as good as last year. its hard to know how good thurles are too as they both came out of same group. the cork teams will be giving them a serious run for there money

TTM you praised Rochestown all right in some of your posts fair dues but if you honest, i mean really honest you havent rated them or there players as much as you did the other cork teams but thats your view thats grand. The school gave the Rochestown lads the day off on Friday after the historic win. well done to them again

Theres a lot to look forward to for 2015. Happy Christmas to ye all.
    Hurling heart in fairness your new here and I know you have a passion for the game fair enough, your hurling at heart and real type of well bread and butter type of hurling fan so to speak In I mean your interested on the hurling from the ground up and bread and butter of hurling in the game and I admire that hugely your passion

I thank you for the comment and amusing interesting in only two posts you seem to have a huge interest in soley my view here by not once now but twice singlely me out in your posts and non others in I seem to get direct mention from you in just youre two posts
    Thanks for the interest but thread isn't about think too much, as some will try proclaim it to be.
    I look forward to your other posts and hopefully be on cork gaa rather than my sole view
    I didn't forget about ronan lynch you read posts again in I said lynch only played three games and was no where near Cormack so low scores didn't see point putting him In there

I'm only going to say this once and I'm sure others will see but please please don't and I ask you with all sincere and geuine hurling passion from your bread and butter sense if hurling at heart from the ground up the grass roots etc to please again don't making out I have anything against rochestown who I praised hugely in cork review year and also I praised hugely many posts before and I could reposts every single posts I done on rochestown here but for some strange reason I'll still get the feeling you will still stay im not praising your rochestown school
    Rochestown I've only attended two games harty so limit what I saw and they had two cork teams in their group so I only saw them one non cork game so real real game to judge

I apologise you feel that way geuinely but I gave practically named under sixteen football hurling b team and also there under fifteen football team for praise which some rochestown didn't even name

As for favourite with o mahony and looney

I could of names the stats but I picked out the top
    If your so interested in these im sure you can find stats on them yourself
    It's clear that Cormack was top pile over them bit mainly from free bar he's last harty cup game he hasn't delivered from play like looney or o mahony and there been more consistent

I strongly decline I have favourites here.
    I praise lads on field play and that merits some above others.
    You being a real bread and butter type of fan in from ground up it seems in to hurling will appreciate às you obivously been huge admire my posts in knowing I praise Tim and looney at lot.

Reason simply is Tim has performed under twenty one, senior etc and done more than Cormack from play
    If you want to debate why o mahony should not start please do and I'll debate that point.
    At the end of the day I'm not affiliated to any school and I praised mticheetown, charville, rochestowm, hammies, ag mhuire hopefully you as hurling type of bread and butter,hurling at heart fan in I mean in hurling from ground level up will laud all these school praise and hopefully some day I'll get to read a post of yours on them and I be delighted if I'm honest as I can won't have to do post praising all these schools as I think it fair to say many here wouldn't done post on midelton rice cup team or mticheetown as yes understand they stick to their unknown but many know here not case with my self

I get the sense your a real Denis ring and I'd say your huge mark landers fan and would be delighted in the way they picked the team last year knowing these managers are real bread and butter type men in really work on as records prove hurling from that level up, so your right in cork will have huge chance to bear limerick

It won't be all na piarssigh lads starting though in I'd say Collins, Grimes, houlian, Casey main ones

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hurleratheart

Hurling heart in fairness your new here and I know you have a passion for the game fair enough, your hurling at heart and real type of well bread and butter type of hurling fan so to speak In I mean your interested on the hurling from the ground up and bread and butter of hurling in the game and I admire that hugely your passion

I thank you for the comment and amusing interesting in only two posts you seem to have a huge interest in soley my view here by not once now but twice singlely me out in your posts and non others in I seem to get direct mention from you in just youre two posts
    Thanks for the interest but thread isn't about think too much, as some will try proclaim it to be.
    I look forward to your other posts and hopefully be on cork gaa rather than my sole view
    I didn't forget about ronan lynch you read posts again in I said lynch only played three games and was no where near Cormack so low scores didn't see point putting him In there

I'm only going to say this once and I'm sure others will see but please please don't and I ask you with all sincere and geuine hurling passion from your bread and butter sense if hurling at heart from the ground up the grass roots etc to please again don't making out I have anything against rochestown who I praised hugely in cork review year and also I praised hugely many posts before and I could reposts every single posts I done on rochestown here but for some strange reason I'll still get the feeling you will still stay im not praising your rochestown school
    Rochestown I've only attended two games harty so limit what I saw and they had two cork teams in their group so I only saw them one non cork game so real real game to judge

I apologise you feel that way geuinely but I gave practically named under sixteen football hurling b team and also there under fifteen football team for praise which some rochestown didn't even name

As for favourite with o mahony and looney

I could of names the stats but I picked out the top
    If your so interested in these im sure you can find stats on them yourself
    It's clear that Cormack was top pile over them bit mainly from free bar he's last harty cup game he hasn't delivered from play like looney or o mahony and there been more consistent

I strongly decline I have favourites here.
    I praise lads on field play and that merits some above others.
    You being a real bread and butter type of fan in from ground up it seems in to hurling will appreciate às you obivously been huge admire my posts in knowing I praise Tim and looney at lot.

Reason simply is Tim has performed under twenty one, senior etc and done more than Cormack from play
    If you want to debate why o mahony should not start please do and I'll debate that point.
    At the end of the day I'm not affiliated to any school and I praised mticheetown, charville, rochestowm, hammies, ag mhuire hopefully you as hurling type of bread and butter,hurling at heart fan in I mean in hurling from ground level up will laud all these school praise and hopefully some day I'll get to read a post of yours on them and I be delighted if I'm honest as I can won't have to do post praising all these schools as I think it fair to say many here wouldn't done post on midelton rice cup team or mticheetown as yes understand they stick to their unknown but many know here not case with my self

I get the sense your a real Denis ring and I'd say your huge mark landers fan and would be delighted in the way they picked the team last year knowing these managers are real bread and butter type men in really work on as records prove hurling from that level up, so your right in cork will have huge chance to bear limerick

It won't be all na piarssigh lads starting though in I'd say Collins, Grimes, houlian, Casey main ones

Ah come off it will ya i asked you as your the main man with the details

your surely living up to your name now

thinkstoomuch entirely

:
    thinkstoomuch1: WHAT THIS IS:

Ard Scoil and Hamilton meet in the. 2014 Harty Cup Semi final in Mallow ,on the 1st of February at 3.30,the second time both teams have played each other in the Harty this year,the 1st time was in the Mallow venue in the Autumn and the North Ciruclar Road team were victourious on a score line of 4-20 to 3-14.

ARD SCOIL RIS HISTORY:

Ard Scoil ,are all boys secondary school in the heart of the Treaty county ,on the North Circular Road , in existence since 1963 and from around 50 students at the start ,it has now over 700,and have became a powerhouse in Rubgy and GAA,and it has had distinquished rubgy men like Paul O Connell who was a Munster Heinken Cup Winner,Lions Test Series Winner and Former Series Captain,Grand Slam Winner,and Captain of Ireland.
    Current Munster and Ireland Rubgy Internationals David Kilycoyne ,and Leinster and Current Irish International Sean Cronin are also past pubils that graced there corridoors,but have excelled in there chosen sport.

Sam Lynch the Irish Rower and a World Champion with Ireland went to the school.

In GAA many former Clare and Limerick Intercounty stars went to the school such as Nicky O'Connell,Darach Honan(mother is a Cork woman),Cathal Mclirnery(joint captain when they won the Harty in 2010,and Kevin Downes,Declan Hannon,Adrian Breen ,(UCC,suprise ommisson from the senior intercounty set up)Seamus Dowling,and Niall Moran .

It is not just Sport the school is known for ,but Pat Cox, former President of the European Parliment ,was a former pupil,and renowend debater also went there.
    If you want an entertainment link with the school ,look no further than,Dave Chambers and Bob Mcglynn ,of Rubberbandits fame ,as they are past pupils.They are trying to become the first Limerick school since CBS Sexton Street brought an All Ireland Title at senior schools back to Limerick in 1966 and it remains more a question of when,rather than if,that they accomplish that feat.The young Cork hurlers in 1966,were not the only boys that became men.That school are the only school,in Limerick that won a Croke cup,they won it in 1964 also.

Corks schools have won the Croke Cup14 times.In the Harty Cup just 3 Limerick schools have won it ,CBS Sexton Street ,have 10 Harty's ,and St .Munchins have just the 1.

Cork schools between ,St .Finbarrs Franfrerris (current Hamilton selector Noel Crowley won a Harty with them and would have learned under the expertise tulage of there Coach the Great Canon Michael O Brien,)North Mon,St Colmans,Midelton, Chriost Ri,and Cholaiste Iognaid RIS,they have over 40 titles and if Hammies were to win one,they would form a "Magnificent 7"in Cork schools that won the famous Harty Cup.

A bit like the spider that could not get up the wall.He may fall down repeatedly ,but he never stops trying,and eventually he finds a way.A bit like that spider,Ard Scoil won't give up ,and it is just a matter of time ,before the Dr.Croke Cup is resting at Ard Scoil.

And "Time" has been the storyline of Ard scoil,it has not been a case that many believe in that,the pick of talent between Limerick and Clare is put together,for instant success.Far from it.The foundations since 2002,have been laid and great work by the likes of Cormarc Bonnar of Tippereary,Liam Kennedy,Derek Larkin of Offaly, , Liam Cronin,Niall Crowe, Fergal Lyons ( a Cork man)and Pat Tobin , Victor Leydon,Tom Hennessy,Colm Honan (father of Clare player Darach), ,Jimmy Browne(expierence with Clare minors and u21 and LIT, Natal O’Grady and Joe Hannon (father of Declan) among may others at various times have all helped the school at various stages make good progress.

Niall Moran ,got involved in the mid 200O's and introduced modern training,recovery sessions,nutrition,p ost match video anayalis,tactial awareness and it benfited them greatly.

Of course they got money inputed in to them from the Limerick and Clare County boards, and the Limerick Supporters Club in Dublin and that is of mutal benefit ,there are players from both counties involved,so they will reap what Ard Scoil sow.

They also got help from the various GAA boards in Limerick and John Lyons of Supermacs down the years. They have been given the provison of use of facilties for use in many grounds,Meelick,LIT and Ul's superb North Campus complex,to name but a few,and combined with the huge support of parents ,they have and continue to build something special in Hurling.The money as it inevitably does made a difference,but it could not have helped,unless like the change in Dublin Hurling,it needed the "Will of the people involved"and it had that in abundance.

They are the only Munster school to compete in all A grades at u14,15 etc up along,and on any academic year they could have up to 14 teams in competition.

They learned the hard way,lost there 1st Dean Ryan Cup in 2005,won the Dean Ryan in 2008 and then decided to enter the Harty Cup in 2007, and won the 1st one in 2010.They lost a Thriller of a Dean Ryan Cup to Midelton this year by a point,in a match they could easily of won.Just like the Dean Ryan 2005 loss did not set them back,the 2013 loss is unlikey to do so also.
    The next generation of Ard scoil Harty Cup teams are already taking shape on the production line.

Again there is a structure and organistion to everything they do ,and a clear path to Glory lined out.The school has a vision,and have the teaching and coaching staff to implement it,along with the talent to cultivate there dreams in to reality.They then won two succesive Harty cups in 2010 and 2011,two White Cups (u15)and won and u14 All Ireland in the last few years.

In essence,everyone from the teachers,to the coaches,to the county boards,the sponsor,the parents and most importanly the players themselves have turned Ard Scoil from a minnows competing in B Hurling in to a Powerful and Significance force"in terms of competing and winning regulary at the elite level of Senior Schools Hurling,the Harty Cup.And the school is a credit to both Limerick and Clare Hurling and all involved with them.

]

I done preview of Ard scoil v hammies last year and this is part my post, a subtract of it.
    It is like dublin hurling gets lost in translation that like dublin hurling it's just not throw the cash it at it, but it's huge huge work by volunteers and By grass roots people combined with money that make it work and yes jp gives money but it's not just jp , ard scoil gets other funding and like I said justify every bit of it in work they do.

Limerick support club in dublin is hugely important to limerick hurling and even in dublin last week members of the senior panel o mahony. O grady etc were in the capital to meet limerick dublin branch so huge support is got from there

I picked the Ard scoil examples because there main schools with huge funding but not even close to this forty thousands mentioned over exaggeration there now to be fair imo.

Jp huge influence in limerick but like I said in the post others help limerick in fiance.
    Cork ccb have the money, ten million setting in bank account , for pairc apparently, they will though put pairc and centre mediocrity first and foremost.

Ard scoil last year played cork minors week before Hamilton game in Mallow mid week, ard scoil had bus lads and when got limerick meal paid for etc, some cork lads arrived in cars.

Cork under sixteen played limerick in limerick last spring challenge   cork lads arrived by cars no bus even organised.

Limerick lads has meal afterwards etc cork lads didn't have that.
    Now minors etc some teams have been supported by board recently credit where due , but lot teams don't get the support needed

The paucity of eleven gdos imo is no where enough for cork and should be at least twenty.

Classic example noel crowley Was winner Franfrerris player harty cup coached carbery county twenty years ago in senior and done awesome work with hammies but he's gone to colmans now.
    Now crowley coached aidan o donuughe hammies coach so he benfited but crowley could stayed developed hammies further if there were more top quality gdo in colmans could got one while hammies retained it's diamond

Mticheetown mad trying to get crowley do work with them but with colmans he's limited time wise imo.
    All we hear is rebel og and public spin doctoring of the Lord mayor cup but rebel og is just partly funded by ccb and yet rebel og don't have any say in minors management selection.

It's just not money lacking last few years led cork decline we had awful awful underage managers appointed too imo which certainly didn't help.

School fan, you speak lot sense and I'll be honest very hard to disagree you what you say in lot of it has logic imo
    I imo gave this perception I disagree with most views some here think,I imo clearly don't I just disagree if something totally incorrect with no fact back up spoken, all credit to your posts you don't speak nonsense but lot truth and while I may not agree with all you do back up your points with views worth considering.
    You clearly know the hurling underage scene very well.
    How do you rate sean Hayes would he deserve be called up cork senior panel or is it too early??

What you make under twenty one scene, in I'm confident, is it justified do you think??

Our teams are similar for the cork minors.
    Id have cahill myself there but you want some one else fair enough.

We agree with the half back line, your right about pace wise with cashman but imo you could put as you say cashman to six and o leary to half back

Imo butty has to start superb harty cup on beaten side
    I'd have donal English but it's roll of the dice between him and coughlan who I agree totally your view and I'm huge fan coughlan for some time

Forward line is hugely competitive and those don't make it are not bad players made most cork teams just to find that balance
    I'd agree kingston is more if a twelve, he's automatic and o mahony can play centre forward.

I'd have Robbie Flynn over Cormac not he's bettee player but more so different type of player in he brings a different dynamic and balance to it.
    Would if you could pick in rubgy a back row of riche macaw, David poccock and Michael hopper.
    No you couldn't in there are all three pure open sides ground hog??
    Who carry the ball and who breaks off the back of the scrums??

Same concept here, Kingston full craft of guile, elegance, wonderful movement, o mahony is same in can score and create but. Flynn who works like dog in bonner maher type of role, seamus Flanagan, to unselfishly create space for others not themselves.
    Robbie Flynn has to be that man, he'll win ball in the air and he'll work for dirty ball Cormack won't do.
    Flynn imo even though the logic is to thinnot he'll find hard start may not in fact, in. He imo is one of the few cork panel do that role required. Ring favours such role in the half forward line in luke meade picked their last year v limerick.

If kingston gets injured or like o mahony also then he's starter as imo up against two those for a place.

But Kingston Better scoring ratio from play than Cormack and o mahony also has better scoring play ratio and o mahony done it at senior under twenty one club huge scores he got.

Cormack is excellent but o mahony And kingston slight bit better and that's what comes down who gives you that added edge
    If it was Other years Cormack imo be starting

we should remember now not just Cormack but wonderful josh beusang left out dean Ryan nine cup points man two year ago shows from play when the need I's greatest he'll score
    Nine from play in munster final any level unreal

There will be tough calls imo and important when they doMake the calls fans yes critise if necessary but we don't add two and two get five hundred and saying ring or hartnett etc have anything against club etc, remember you can only start fifteen lads toughest minors team years pick

I wouldn't be too caught up minors loosing in gunning got three goals he'll be with cork than against them, after last week meant more to them ag mhuire than cork imo and full stating fifteen didn't line out on best positions in Chris o leary isn't a midfielder.

Cork minors be fine I'm not fearful At all

I saw limerick play nenagh yes lot seventeenth lads but there good but not great but nenagh has them beaten on possesion stakes just nenagh with out cahalan and Andy hayden had no forwards and they full back line conceded three poor goals

Rochestown will beat nenagh and handy in the nenagh full back line is weak so kingston has to start inside and there two scoring forwards cahalan and hayden marked by cashman and Griffin won't score much but yes they will win a fair amount of ball.
    Limerick struggled to beat them, last year I saw seven challenge matches limerick v wexford, etc and they hammered every team there not strong this year and like said limerick thread post Wallace huge huge huge loss

Seventh killian aherne should be on cork panel now for next year but I wouldn't be starting him better available now
    Hurling fan interesting point about bout ag mhuire but it's not just down to poor work rate it's down as three game to purely pure tactics there correctly critised.
    I'm firmly believe these in before three games I said do and don't match ups yet match up that happened I didn't want no surprise ag mhuire lost
    Work rate can't excuse the awful non marking of eddie gunning on doon brilliant Barry Murphy and v castleltriy they left lee in full forward which imo was a disaster.

Work rate imo I's meaning less if a lad is asked do job he simply can't or if there out numbered in certain aera by the opposition
    I've huge worries regards ag mhuire side line
    To say play off cuff simple hurling don't over complicate things is like jbm done v clare drawn all ireland final and look what happened, free style play with spirit cork were completely dominated by the clare system of sweeper.

To play tactics is not over complicate things if you know what your doing.
    I saw a pre match anaylise report of harty cup game two years ago coach I know from top top school after harty ended, the level of depth and anaylis in it was unbelievable but they had a plan from every scenarios and you must have that now and tactics hugely important in that.

Ard scoil tried to play instinctive hurling free style v doon last year in the ist half of the harty cup final but doon suffocated that with a system only when Ard scoil went to a system they won and won handy.
    Doon better that ag I don't think so, in they have better coaches like clare hurler bulger but they play to a system but once barry Murphy, quirke and Ryan are held there beatable.

They had stronger team with dean coleman last year but fell short

smith it looks like johnny Keane gone to Churchtown, manager didn't join kilbrin, Sean o gorman likely stay kilbrin.
    Keane good manager.
    Great choice by Churchtown and he's one their own, they had poorer choices before like ronan dwayne coached there a while back.

Ah come off it will ya i asked you as your the main man with the details

your surely living up to your name now

thinkstoomuch entirely

I'm not or never want to be the main man on this thread as many great other posters here that deserve equal recognition to myself and I certainly don't want to be

I post a lot but I'm not the main man
    This cork gaa thread, not any one in particular thread.
    I've no problem with being asked a question I help anyone I can expecially grass root the bread and butter type of fans gaa needs

Just being singled like last post against rochestown in praise others more imo very unfair on me and my point is soley posting wise dont have soley focus on me in every post, by name.
    I can't wait till minors next year even though mark landers huge loss, I'm sure you'll agree he was one main men last year, we have pat hartnett added and he'll be brilliant and he's proven cork coach from great cork hurling aera of midelton and east cork

Cork minors hurling has real hope next year

Smith614 wrote: »
    Dara Fitzgibbon from Charleville should be a starter for Cork minors 2015. Class act with very few weaknesses. Himself and O Mahony carried Charleville CBS this yr ( even tho they had poor campaign these 2 looked the part).

I'd agree totally should be on the panel at least but I don't think he is??is he
    That's great point o mahony been excellent poor team sign great players

Where you play him centre or full forward?

seventh7 wrote: »
    Fair point on but I don't buy the top of the ground and the dry sod and mularkey. Gunning, Aherne, and sheehan didn't get in behind the defence they ran through it, they too have had a huge amount of games in the last fortnight. December or August there is no way a Cork minor side should be turned over by School side especially a side without 5 of its starting 15.

I'd agree but wasn't full cork team in right position and I wouldn't be gone on it too much

Talks cork minors trying challenge match v Ard scoil in Mallow like Last year again week after Xmas if true
    Be good test

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/2212141019-setanta-sports-fixtures-for-2015-allianz-leagues/

Great news cork hurling fans

Ist three league games televised live so it means anyone can't go gets see them those do can record it and watch it again forensically anaylis it

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭seventh7

I wouldn't be too caught up minors loosing in gunning got three goals he'll be with cork than against them, after last week meant more to them ag mhuire than cork imo and full stating fifteen didn't line out on best positions in Chris o leary isn't a midfielder.

Cork minors be fine I'm not fearful At all

I saw limerick play nenagh yes lot seventeenth lads but there good but not great but nenagh has them beaten on possesion stakes just nenagh with out cahalan and Andy hayden had no forwards and they full back line conceded three poor goals

Rochestown will beat nenagh and handy in the nenagh full back line is weak so kingston has to start inside and there two scoring forwards cahalan and hayden marked by cashman and Griffin won't score much but yes they will win a fair amount of ball.
    Limerick struggled to beat them, last year I saw seven challenge matches limerick v wexford, etc and they hammered every team there not strong this year and like said limerick thread post Wallace huge huge huge loss

Seventh killian aherne should be on cork panel now for next year but I wouldn't be starting him better available now
    Hurling fan interesting point about bout ag mhuire but it's not just down to poor work rate it's down as three game to purely pure tactics there correctly critised.
    I'm firmly believe these in before three games I said do and don't match ups yet match up that happened I didn't want no surprise ag mhuire lost
    Work rate can't excuse the awful non marking of eddie gunning on doon brilliant Barry Murphy and v castleltriy they left lee in full forward which imo was a disaster.

Work rate imo I's meaning less if a lad is asked do job he simply can't or if there out numbered in certain aera by the opposition
    I've huge worries regards ag mhuire side line
    To say play off cuff simple hurling don't over complicate things is like jbm done v clare drawn all ireland final and look what happened, free style play with spirit cork were completely dominated by the clare system of sweeper.

To play tactics is not over complicate things if you know what your doing.
    I saw a pre match anaylise report of harty cup game two years ago coach I know from top top school after harty ended, the level of depth and anaylis in it was unbelievable but they had a plan from every scenarios and you must have that now and tactics hugely important in that.

Gunning will definetly be with the minors, which is a good plus.
    And it is a huge plus that we have O' Sullivan and Aherne, Siach, O' Leary waiting in the wings for next year. The future is bright have no doubt. The kids are there and no doubt we will use them. The challenge will be in filtering what we have through to senior level down the road.
    I have to agree with you regarding the Ag coaches, I believe the critic has been constructive and as for work rate, you need the right players in the right positions to make the work rate count. Player selection is parmount, horses for courses and all that. Morale is also a huge factor and the AG may have found it at the right time. Little adjustments can be made to tweak this side and they will be far from an easy proposition for Thurles.

http://www.thescore.ie/2015-football-league-fixtures-1677487-Sep2014/

Looking at this again games and way they fell I'm hugely fearful of cork in the league
    Realistic possibly we could be facing kerry with three losses and kerry id say at best will have two wins so will come cork win in they have tough remaining games left and will want league status retained so they can taper trainimg and as it's fourth game in won't have cobwebs early league openers to shake off

Expect a different kerry in the league in the may have no choice to treat cork game bit more seriously attention last year than letting cork belive were great last year in kerry course cork were gullible to belive it and swallowed an anchor and naively fell for it imo

I can't bar mayo have any real confidence in any game cork will win.
    Anyone think there's other games cork will realistically win.???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

http://www.thescore.ie/2015-football-league-fixtures-1677487-Sep2014/

Looking at this again games and way they fell I'm hugely fearful of cork in the league
    Realistic possibly we could be facing kerry with three losses and kerry id say at best will have two wins so will come cork win in they have tough remaining games left and will want league status retained so they can taper trainimg and as it's fourth game in won't have cobwebs early league openers to shake off

Expect a different kerry in the league in the may have no choice to treat cork game bit more seriously attention last year than letting cork belive were great last year in kerry course cork were gullible to belive it and swallowed an anchor and naively fell for it imo

I can't bar mayo have any real confidence in any game cork will win.
    Anyone think there's other games cork will realistically win.???

TTM, I definitely think cork will win some games in the league but which ones? the away games to the north will be very very difficult.The dubs will look to lay down a marker vs cork, while as you say I can see Kerry taking the league game vs cork somewhat more serious then 2014s charade. Mayo under new management will be desperately seeking a national title for confidence but cork should at least be competitive at home.
    Do you know who is doing the actual football coaching? I heard an awful rumour that cutbert was but I presumed Flanagan would do what he did with Kerry and actually coach also. I have to wonder how this dynamic is working??
    The mass panic of management in calling in half of ballincolligs squad including the Kerry man durrant as well as cussen and kevin canty is an awful sign of a management team floundering in panic. Cuthberts terrible radio interview on redfm would give the indication of a man realising he is out of his depth but that wouldn't fit the character. I notice that the talk from last year of 'entertaining football', 'a bit of flair', 'getting the fans back' and all that bull**** has been dropped and now we are going to do our best which after 2014 was no where near good enough.
    I think a realistic first 6 months is that cork will have been relegated from division 1 and receive another lesson from Kerry in Killarney. There is simply NO sign of positivitiy, lessons learned or any aspect of an acknowledgement of what is required for this level from the camp, I have huge respect for a lot of the players especially those who were part of the 2010 triumph, I hope but have heard nothing to indicate otherwise that they had the balls to have a conversation with the manager about 2015 and what was required from his end, it was well known during the summer that a lot of players were unhappy with what went on during 2014, I sincerely hope they have had these issues ironed out before we start in less then 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭CORKDOUBLE

I agree lads that interview and the one in the Southern Star this week would fill you with fear at whats going on ...the man just seems to be out of his depth for this level ....and information i have got says that Pat Flanagan is fully involved ....hopefull thats correct .........I would like wish everybody on this site the very best for Christmas and the new year ...god bless.

I agree Sean we share the same sentiments

As far as I'm aware flanganan will be doing the coaching but cuthbhert has indeed taken on a more how to we best put it leading role with group training wise, he had done bit nit much from what I saw last year in one training session, I wouldn't be impressed unless hugely improved.

He's imo would been best facilitator in surrounding him with good coaches and then working off that that but he no one else to fault never gave him self that chance like I said from day one picking the inexpierenced back room team

I agree it's hard to pick what teams we can beat

Dublin will be intent on starting new season on high and will beat us

Monaghan at home, wet dour Sunday, hostile home crowd where teams belief and game plan well be severely tested by a brilliantly organised coach malachi o rourke I have huge time for.

Donegal home in transition under Gallagher but unlikely cork team will fly donegal so long trip if spirit and moral low after ist two games could test them and I can't see this set up beating donegal system

Kerry if and I think there up for it be hard

Derry are average at best but real league team, I'm heavy going and slow ground hostile celtic park where dublin beaten last year won't fear cork after last year in cork cork haunted to win

Tyrone home tough ask

Mayo I'm confident in yes brilliant Donie Buckley with them and mayo management is good men own right management this lark of dual management imo simply won't work and too many chefs spoil the broth

Ten minutes to go in a game key decision be made who makes it. Do they toss a coin or say you decide this game mine next

This won't work
    Mayo be gone off the boil also in key there game plan was intensity so drop even ten percent that they will be much weaker and then add to it lack forwards there imo in rapid downward decline from highs before and ed coughlan and Horan huge huge losses
    I hope mayo stay competive but after three at the top imo of their game imo they will find it very hard to go fourth year with same energy level with new management way set up so cork should and will imo beat them

It's the other win and possibly a third secure div one status imo is going to be very hard to come by.

I totally agree picking half ballincollg team with greatest respect to them is panic mode as he fails to realise Club scene and intercounty scene is mile apart.
    People say ah just pre panel don't worry changes in league etc and championship

Sorry I don't buy it, in what's the point in picking lads for this mcgrath cup if they have realistically no chance come championship and your only wasting your time and theirs and you be better off picking guys with potential and work on them.

Like what is going to be learned recalling lads from previous campaign that didn't make it, but imo sets out clear statement of direction in management concept of what they see as cork players and don't you know when kerry see some names cork recall, privately às publicly they shrewd enough not to say it but will be thinking ah nothing worry bout here.

Management clearly have no understanding of what players needed to make elite level imo so pick half county championship winning team and include former kerry player and winning coach kerry blood and he thinks it will magically fall in to place

Sorry now but it doesn't work like that

Durrant terrific club player but not senior intercounty imo when there looking for a Galvin type of player kerry didn't show any interest in him , cork have five lads much much better than him.
    Even when cork senior hurling winning all irelands county champions newton had just three starters and na piarsigh had just two.

Any team wins all ireland will only have four or five at most from club county championship but what's important is the players they do have are lighting up the club scene and standing out in nit one but every game for club and taking their game to another level at senior intercounty something for example Cian Mccarthy didn't do from sarsfields as county champions before or you ll find with ballincollg durrant and jennings and o sullivan fot example imo.

Sean my opinion is cuthbhert will want and get a second term irrespective of results, what do you think??
    If results are fine I'd give him a new term no problem at all but if not he's term must be seriously reviewed on on field results and performances.

I dont think players can do much tbh Sean imo in cuthbhert strikes me as he'll do it he's way, speaking him won't make a difference and board will back cuthbhert night and day so there's no point imo of having their views and demanding more etc imo they be told ye play we manage.
    Sean what do make cork minor football and under twenty one chance please????
    What did you make of the hurling chances next year at senior

Sean did you see the bold ruthless conviction so admirable and laudable in cork ladies football asking change of a manager fourteen years ago even though the manager was there great friend but look where that call took this wondering memorising truly great I mean great really really great football team to numerous munster titles and national league medals and all star awards and nine all irelands in ten years and now rte team of the year winning the hearts and minds of the nation of ireland our great great really really great sporting country.
    It all started that faithful day the envelope of no confidence in the current management was handed in by the team captain young girl at just twenty three in Macroom with no reputation as success players in great light to demand such change but she did fair play and backed by her wonderful sister's in arms of the entire panel and they wanted better and demanded better and look where they are today there are a credit to their clubs, County, womens gaelic football what they achieved on and off the field in gaelic games.

The key difference was also the current ladies manager immense credit didn't fight the players but steeped down and county board didn't oppose it either but found new management team.
    They listened to the grievance of their players and didn't take it personally but realised there ones playing the game it they don't belive in a set up then we owed cork ladies football to change things for its better future and there's no one voice controls it in we must embrace and accept change.

CORKDOUBLE wrote: »
    I agree lads that interview and the one in the Southern Star this week would fill you with fear at whats going on ...the man just seems to be out of his depth for this level ....and information i have got says that Pat Flanagan is fully involved ....hopefull thats correct .........I would like wish everybody on this site the very best for Christmas and the new year ...god bless.

Many happy returns double have great one

Do you have link please to the southern star interview

TTM, in answer to some of your questions, and imo only of course:

Cuthbert WILL get a second term as long as the defeat to Kerry in Killarney is 'respectable' - while frank lauded our league football in this years annual report (what a ****ing joke) next year our relegation (and I just don't see us winning 3 games in this division) will be ignored. So bottom line he will stay on for at least one more year. There will be no questioning from any of the homegrown journalists on this matter. A big test for me on what type OF man Cuthbert is - does the team fly to tyrone/Donegal/derry via Belfast/derry airports? Will there be a proper training camp this year, instead of a 2 and half day bull**** in UL?
    I have an awful suspiscion that despite flanagans inclusion with accompanying costs involved there is a real creeping in of penny pinching with the set up. For example it is incredible they don't have a sports psychologist available, Cuthbert despite his qualification CANNOT act as one, a manager cant do this.
    As for the players, Ii have to believe having heard all the rumours and unhappiness during the summer that the set up and back up is now top class just as it was in conors day, otherwise they are fooling themselves and us cork supporters - the fools who will go to Killarney and scotstown etc
    Like yourself players should only be selected if they genuinely offer a chance of starting in championship - and by that the question should be ' can I trust this man to do a job for me vs Kerry in the white hot pressure of Killarney in july?'
    As for the u21, again I give them a huge chance for 2 reasons. Firstly I rate sean hayes as being an astute intelligent manager with a good coach in gene alongside him, secondly I don't rate dara o se as being that manager, and surpisingly for Kerry I think they made a mistake in having him as their u21 manager without any experience- for me u21 is absolutely VITAL in preparing a fella for senior football.
    As for minor,I had a club man on the panel this year and while he rated the training, he found some of the selection/tactics confusing, and the year was a failure. There is talent there, not sure if there is a management team to utilise it. The same man is involved with the u21s and impressed.
    I expect a good run with the junior set up this year btw, and if Cuthbert was anyway clued in he would liaise strongly with McCarthy in order to have a look at some of these players.
    As for senior hurling, for me the greatest problem for JBM the legend and a man who I am not fit to tie his laces is the fact that here we are in year 4 and the full back position is as big a problem as it has been since the rock left. This is crucial to sort out, maybe cahalane is the answer, one thing for sure shane oneil is NOT, his confidence is gone this man needs to be rejuvenated for me. I understand it is good to bring in young fellas, but realistically none of these minors will start in june, so who are the new players available for cork (and imo we need at least 3).......Cormac murphy as a wing back is definitely needed, perhaps pa o callghan if available after that Im not sure. JBM has been very shrewd in having 2 very good coaches ger blue and Kingston, but is landers of this level - the same level of ger blue or kinnerk or tommy dunne? that is what he needs to be at for cork to do well next year. If landers turns out to be at that level and cork get a few players like murphy, paidi firing on from last year then we are back in semi final territory

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

Happy Christmas to all. Here's to a successful season on the playing pitch in both club and Intercounty.

Happy Christmas to all. Here's to a successful season on the playing pitch in both club and Intercounty.

Many Happy returns have a great 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭It makes sense

I'm not or never want to be the main man on this thread as many great other posters here that deserve equal recognition to myself and I certainly don't want to be

I post a lot but I'm not the main man
    This cork gaa thread, not any one in particular thread.
    I've no problem with being asked a question I help anyone I can expecially grass root the bread and butter type of fans gaa needs

Just being singled like last post against rochestown in praise others more imo very unfair on me and my point is soley posting wise dont have soley focus on me in every post, by name.
    I can't wait till minors next year even though mark landers huge loss, I'm sure you'll agree he was one main men last year, we have pat hartnett added and he'll be brilliant and he's proven cork coach from great cork hurling aera of midelton and east cork

Cork minors hurling has real hope next year

Great banter lads IMO this years cork minors have great potential just the question of getting the balance right goalkeeper full back and half back line nearly fixed plenty of good options has to be griffin or Cahill full back do not think Cahill can play anywhere else will get caught out in the corner, O'leary centre back has to be coached to hold position midfield English and another IMO mccarthy needs to up his game as there is more in him, half forward line I agree Kingston on a wing with o'mahony and one other. Full forward line has to be on form at the moment looney, o'halloran and gunning but selectors have a real depth of talent to choice from there may be lads who come later in the spring, watch this space I think hartnett will be a great asset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭lukin

sean mac wrote: »
    TTM, in answer to some of your questions, and imo only of course:

Cuthbert WILL get a second term as long as the defeat to Kerry in Killarney is 'respectable' - while frank lauded our league football in this years annual report (what a ****ing joke) next year our relegation (and I just don't see us winning 3 games in this division) will be ignored. So bottom line he will stay on for at least one more year. There will be no questioning from any of the homegrown journalists on this matter. A big test for me on what type OF man Cuthbert is - does the team fly to tyrone/Donegal/derry via Belfast/derry airports? Will there be a proper training camp this year, instead of a 2 and half day bull**** in UL?
    I have an awful suspiscion that despite flanagans inclusion with accompanying costs involved there is a real creeping in of penny pinching with the set up. For example it is incredible they don't have a sports psychologist available, Cuthbert despite his qualification CANNOT act as one, a manager cant do this.
    As for the players, Ii have to believe having heard all the rumours and unhappiness during the summer that the set up and back up is now top class just as it was in conors day, otherwise they are fooling themselves and us cork supporters - the fools who will go to Killarney and scotstown etc
    Like yourself players should only be selected if they genuinely offer a chance of starting in championship - and by that the question should be ' can I trust this man to do a job for me vs Kerry in the white hot pressure of Killarney in july?'

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't even get to play Kerry in Munster next year. It's quite possible that Limerick could beat us (if they beat Clare).
    We needed Walsh to dig us out of a hole against Tipp this year and he isn't going to be available to Cuthbert in 2015.
    Regardless I won't be going to Killarney next year as I don't want to sit there and witness a hammering. Cuthbert has made a number of mistakes in his first year that Counihan would never have made despite all his faults. He publicly criticised the players, publicly criticised the opposition and came out with a number of daft statements (e.g. "the Sligo game is our All-Ireland final"). Hopefully he will learn from them but I am not sure he will. Seems to be out of his depth as he only coached at minor level at inter-county and never played senior himself (the only Cork manager never to have done so I think). So what did people expect?

• Advertisement

lukin wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if we don't even get to play Kerry in Munster next year. It's quite possible that Limerick could beat us (if they beat Clare).
    We needed Walsh to dig us out of a hole against Tipp this year and he isn't going to be available to Cuthbert in 2015.
    Regardless I won't be going to Killarney next year as I don't want to sit there and witness a hammering. Cuthbert has made a number of mistakes in his first year that Counihan would never have made despite all his faults. He publicly criticised the players, publicly criticised the opposition and came out with a number of daft statements (e.g. "the Sligo game is our All-Ireland final"). Hopefully he will learn from them but I am not sure he will. Seems to be out of his depth as he only coached at minor level at inter-county and never played senior himself (the only Cork manager never to have done so I think). So what did people expect?
    I'd agree that but limerick greatest respect them poor enough
    Brudair trying hard good coach but years neglect underage is cost them

I fancy clare rattle us though under ephie Fitzgerald

sean mac wrote: »
    TTM, I definitely think cork will win some games in the league but which ones? the away games to the north will be very very difficult.The dubs will look to lay down a marker vs cork, while as you say I can see Kerry taking the league game vs cork somewhat more serious then 2014s charade. Mayo under new management will be desperately seeking a national title for confidence but cork should at least be competitive at home.
    Do you know who is doing the actual football coaching? I heard an awful rumour that cutbert was but I presumed Flanagan would do what he did with Kerry and actually coach also. I have to wonder how this dynamic is working??
    The mass panic of management in calling in half of ballincolligs squad including the Kerry man durrant as well as cussen and kevin canty is an awful sign of a management team floundering in panic. Cuthberts terrible radio interview on redfm would give the indication of a man realising he is out of his depth but that wouldn't fit the character. I notice that the talk from last year of 'entertaining football', 'a bit of flair', 'getting the fans back' and all that bull**** has been dropped and now we are going to do our best which after 2014 was no where near good enough.
    I think a realistic first 6 months is that cork will have been relegated from division 1 and receive another lesson from Kerry in Killarney. There is simply NO sign of positivitiy, lessons learned or any aspect of an acknowledgement of what is required for this level from the camp, I have huge respect for a lot of the players especially those who were part of the 2010 triumph, I hope but have heard nothing to indicate otherwise that they had the balls to have a conversation with the manager about 2015 and what was required from his end, it was well known during the summer that a lot of players were unhappy with what went on during 2014, I sincerely hope they have had these issues ironed out before we start in less then 2 weeks time.
    Would agree worrying times for the footballers at the moment time will tell but cuthberts interview was not great did not really inspire any confidence in going forward I hope I am wrong first few games will tell what direction and what style they will attempt to play.

lukin wrote: »

You could be right lukin, however I think limerick have gone way back even for a cork team in decline also. Now if it was tipp away or clare away it could be different altogether. Like yourself I wont be travelling to Killarney to witness a beating - maybe a reflection on me as a supporter but this guy is simply out of his depth.
    Has any other county ever put a fella in as senior manager with the record of ONE munster minor football championship in 10 years of managing/coaching at minor football and club football?

I know somebody involved with Clare ..and he told me that they would be fully confident in beating Cork under Cuthbert ....straight up he pulled no punches ....unreal what people think of this man ...i also know a parent of one of the team a player i think got a good break from Cuthbert in 2014 ...yet she said things i could not repeat here about his management style ....all of what i have just wrote is 100% true. Its just so so sad for all of us who love the Cork football team and all Cork teams and who have supported them up and down the country to have no hope what so ever for 2015 ...its just not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SchoolsFan

School fan, you speak lot sense and I'll be honest very hard to disagree you what you say in lot of it has logic imo
    I imo gave this perception I disagree with most views some here think,I imo clearly don't I just disagree if something totally incorrect with no fact back up spoken, all credit to your posts you don't speak nonsense but lot truth and while I may not agree with all you do back up your points with views worth considering.
    How do you rate sean Hayes would he deserve be called up cork senior panel or is it too early??

What you make under twenty one scene, in I'm confident, is it justified do you think??

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

TTM the most important point you made about the Cork minors is that only 15 can be picked. Now there is a perception that this is easy but I think this is a skill that separates good from great managers. I for one would not like this thankless task, but I have full faith that Denis Ring will get this right. He is not above learning lessons and playing Shane Bourke full back last year was a mistake which will not be lost on him.

In relation to Sean Hayes I really rate him. In the 2012 O'Callaghan Cup final he carried the game single handily to Midleton on a very average Patrician Academy team. He was treated incredibly poorly in the 2013 Munster Championship game against Clare when he was brought on only to be taken off again and at a point when the game was won. This really impacted on him for a while.

My analysis of him:
    Beautiful balance, which allows a clean crisp strike.
    He can execute the basic skills at a very high pace, which makes him hard to manage. Speed is king, the ability to do simple things at pace is one thing top class players need
    Great in the air. So good in fact the Cork minors look at him as a full and a centre back
    Great ability to make space and to work a shot when under pressure, watch his use of the shortened strike, very hard to hook.

I would see him as a project player. Maybe not yet ready to start for Cork this year or next, but should benefit from all the training programmes that the Cork seniors do and be included in the seniors on field training. Get him exposed to that standard. In the meantime he should start for the U21's.

CORKDOUBLE wrote: »
    I know somebody involved with Clare ..and he told me that they would be fully confident in beating Cork under Cuthbert ....straight up he pulled no punches ....unreal what people think of this man ...i also know a parent of one of the team a player i think got a good break from Cuthbert in 2014 ...yet she said things i could not repeat here about his management style ....all of what i have just wrote is 100% true. Its just so so sad for all of us who love the Cork football team and all Cork teams and who have supported them up and down the country to have no hope what so ever for 2015 ...its just not good enough.

Your spot on I heard same thing regards clare and they know cork have no midfield and there flying I'n training

Do you have link cuthbhert interview please southern start!??

• Advertisement

SchoolsFan wrote: »

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

TTM the most important point you made about the Cork minors is that only 15 can be picked. Now there is a perception that this is easy but I think this is a skill that separates good from great managers. I for one would not like this thankless task, but I have full faith that Denis Ring will get this right. He is not above learning lessons and playing Shane Bourke full back last year was a mistake which will not be lost on him.

In relation to Sean Hayes I really rate him. In the 2012 O'Callaghan Cup final he carried the game single handily to Midleton on a very average Patrician Academy team. He was treated incredibly poorly in the 2013 Munster Championship game against Clare when he was brought on only to be taken off again and at a point when the game was won. This really impacted on him for a while.

My analysis of him:
    Beautiful balance, which allows a clean crisp strike.
    He can execute the basic skills at a very high pace, which makes him hard to manage. Speed is king, the ability to do simple things at pace is one thing top class players need
    Great in the air. So good in fact the Cork minors look at him as a full and a centre back
    Great ability to make space and to work a shot when under pressure, watch his use of the shortened strike, very hard to hook.

I would see him as a project player. Maybe not yet ready to start for Cork this year or next, but should benefit from all the training programmes that the Cork seniors do and be included in the seniors on field training. Get him exposed to that standard. In the meantime he should start for the U21's.

School fan brilliant analysis forensiclly detailed as always

That's why I ask you I trust your judgement

That was correct poor pam team and Hayes unreal

He was poorly treated by kenneally superb in challenge match v dublin training etc then not started

He improved under ring hugely and landers

I'm huge fan Hayes I'd have starting cork under twenty one and should be cork intermediate with ronan sheehan selector but they may just have only one game

More games he get he'll improve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Just a question re Graham Canty .What secondary school did he play football for?

Just a question re Graham Canty .What secondary school did he play football for?

I am sorry TTM i am not very good at putting links up etc....but try www.southernstar and then click gaa.......happy christmas all....

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

• Advertisement

wackokid wrote: »

Thanks still can't find interview though

All I see is gaa other topics

Must not be there now

Happy Xmas kid

http://www.southernstar.ie/Sport/Improvement-needed-in-Cork-championship-says-JBM-19122014.htm
    This is jbm ones similar to red fm one speaks lot logic especially asked regards cork club hurling and said pick players from any club in the county

Key worry here hugely concerns was he he said both him and cuthbhert would tried dualism again but players weren't up for it

Unbelievable when he acknowledged it can't work even
    I mean in all seriousness like
    Jbm would have as course he would seen more players but cuthbhert of course lacked conviction to say no its not working I want more my players
    You see for the talk of changes and this and that regards cork football decision like this don't inspire me at all at all

It took aidan walsh to stand up say it's not working to end complete farce turned it out to be imo that alone walsh has be cork hurling captain

Footballer manager was happy to go with dualism again yet he says mistakes were learned from.
    How were they if he was going to allow it again when basic clear as day mistake couldn't be seen for what it was
    Imo very little has been learned if anything at all from cork football view point and this ist team picked two week should be interesting,clear indication and sense direction will be got in type players their looking at for new season

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

"he said both him and cuthbhert would tried dualism again but players weren't up for it"
    "Jbm would have as course he would seen more players but cuthbhert of course lacked conviction to say no its not working "

That sums up some posters' attititudes on here.

Two men agree on something one wrong one right.
    JBM can do no wrong
    BC can do no right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Movealong

This time 12 months ago I stated to fellow GAA colleagues that Cuthbert was an appointment made in the best interest of hurling not football. Too many of the underage dual players were opting for football instead of hurling and Cuthbert's appointment was made by CCB to address this problem. My understating is John Cleary who had also been in contention for the job indicated he was not in favour of dual players and he lost out on the job as a result. He got support from the 'football people' on the selection committee but they didn't hold the balance of power.

Cu Baire wrote: »
    "he said both him and cuthbhert would tried dualism again but players weren't up for it"
    "Jbm would have as course he would seen more players but cuthbhert of course lacked conviction to say no its not working "

JBM can do no wrong
    BC can do no right.

You didn't seem to take in the very important fact hurlers like last year's would seen more players às like last year's if you knew of course, you realise most football training etc players actually spent more time with hurling overall
    Jbm course allowed it didn't affect him at all really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cu Baire wrote: »

JBM can do no wrong
    BC can do no right.

If both would try dualism again, both are wrong!

The difference is JBM has proven himself at this level and is worthy of another stint while Cuthbert has little or no experience, is clearly out of his depth, is a bluffer, has lost the faith of many a player and will bring Cork football relegation, further embarrassing championship defeats, no direction whatsoever and leave us in crap state for the next manager- all this despite having some seriously talented footballers available to him.
    But its not really just his fault, I also blame those who thought it a good idea to give him the job in the first place and then put fuel to the fire by keeping him.

Maybe that doesn't go well with 'some posters attitudes' but I for one believe it to be 100% true.

Nollaig Shona agus ath-bliain faoi mhaise daoibh go léir a chairde !!

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    If both would try dualism again, both are wrong!

The difference is JBM has proven himself at this level and is worthy of another stint while Cuthbert has little or no experience, is clearly out of his depth, is a bluffer, has lost the faith of many a player and will bring Cork football relegation, further embarrassing championship defeats, no direction whatsoever and leave us in crap state for the next manager- all this despite having some seriously talented footballers available to him.
    But its not really just his fault, I also blame those who thought it a good idea to give him the job in the first place and then put fuel to the fire by keeping him.

Maybe that doesn't go well with 'some posters attitudes' but I for one believe it to be 100% true.

Nollaig Shona agus ath-bliain faoi mhaise daoibh go léir a chairde !!

Great post always good to read logic and common sense

Happy Xmas and a great new year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭zetecescort

happy and safe Christmas

Movealong wrote: »
    This time 12 months ago I stated to fellow GAA colleagues that Cuthbert was an appointment made in the best interest of hurling not football. Too many of the underage dual players were opting for football instead of hurling and Cuthbert's appointment was made by CCB to address this problem. My understating is John Cleary who had also been in contention for the job indicated he was not in favour of dual players and he lost out on the job as a result. He got support from the 'football people' on the selection committee but they didn't hold the balance of power.

That is 100% correct John was also asked to make Cuthbert is no2 but refused ...would not except the dual players ...football means nothing to these people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Lads,

Never question the Cork County Board. They know best and are all powerful.

Bow down and pay homage.

Their wisdom is all knowing.

:pac: :D

Happy Christmas to all the people on here who keep me so well informed on Cork GAA!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Happy Xmas to all Gaels. We might disagree on here and come to blows at times but we all Cork at heart. Roll on 2015. Can't wait.

Happy Xmas to all Gaels. We might disagree on here and come to blows at times but we all Cork at heart. Roll on 2015. Can't wait.

Never a truer word spoken happy Xmas have great 2015

To true debate is great we only want to succeed in all that is good in cork gaa roll on the new season. Merry Christmas everyone.

last year
    08/01/2014 12:34
    thinkstoomuch1

Quote: The_Kew_Tour
    To the guys up to scratch where do you think each team, in each grade will come? I know we are 5 months from championship, but be interested to see where ye think we could go in each this year.

MENS
    Hurling
    Senior; I think we slightly overacheived last year. Maybe unlucky not to win Munster, but sending off in Semi for Dublin swung it our way.
    Can see us getting knocked out between QF or Semi.

Football
    Senior; I think we might be in for a poor year from footballers. I can even see us missing out on QF trip in August. Dont like saying it.

WOMENS
    Hurling
    Will be there or thereabouts I think but from what I saw still 2-3 players away from AI material

Football
    AI champs again. Their hunger and desire has not went astray and don't see any reason for it to change this year.

You can add in Minor and u21 levels or others if ye like. Feel free to do so. Not up to speed on underages so why I left them out. I'd be only guessing.

]

Quote Thinkstoomuch1

Mens football-compare our management set up to Dublin ,Tyroyne,Kerry ,Donegal even Fermanagh have pete mcgrath two time winning all ireland manager ,and got down u21 final 2009.have a proven set up te don't.
    Meath have a superb manager in Mick o dowd ,playing fast ,hard,old style meath football,and are a year ahead of cork in terms of a game plan,and I wouldnt fancy meeting our bogey team in Croke Park.

The one positive is ,we are in a Munster final ,and if we loose just have one game to an all ireland quater final,it depends on the draw though.
    Due to a very much unproven management level,Cuthbherts club record is poor not just with Bishoptown ,but with a much fancied Ballyclough in 2005,i think,they were beaten an a semi final at junior ranks.

The failure to include Deane,the failure to realise dualism is a dissaster waiting to happen ,and the fact john hayes is seen as an answer for cork ,and john mcloughlin is on the panel despite being poor last year,does not inspire me.

Cork to be beaten in the quaterfinals,and depending on the draw may not even make that far.

U21 football-like I said in another post,a great chance of winning ,but such is the quailty of. Tipp,and kerry getting out of munster is any of them 3 teams.

Minor football,a kind draw ,may due to the round robin get to an all ireland quater final,won't win it or go further,as while the talent is there,the wrong man is in charge.

Junior football,as the fact we have to field a new team ,we are hindered before a ball is kicked,beaten by kerry in munster

Senior hurling

To make a realistic assesment we have to see who and what the 2014 panel is.
    To have guys like cussen,naughton,white,etc wont't inspire confidence.Spillane,nagle,alan cadogan ,must be on it.

The fact they see dualism as a realistic option and cadogan as an option at 3 or 6 is a worry.The potential is there with the right panel to find a 3 and 6,a partner for kearney ,as lorchan is not a midfielder,Clare twice proved that,and if the right men are found we could do very well.

Mcdonnell,patrick o mahony,shane o neill,and brian murphy are not the answer at full back.

U21 hurling,the talent is there,but due to an proven inept manager in 3 years at intercounty hurling ,we won't beat a strong,well coached waterford team with peter queally,and we will be doing well to be competive in walsh park.

Intermediate team to win Munster and have a real tilt at the all ireland.

Minor hurling,a top class management set up,complimented by a serious group of talented hurlers to really give a great show in the semi against a likely limerick side.
    As I said,i saw limerick train last night ,have seen them several times already and with hurlers like ,tom morrisey,barry nash,ta touche cosgrave,cian and ronan lynch etc,they are a fantastic team,have about ten of last year with huge expierence.They would have home advantage also.

If cork had a full strength squad for the game we could win,it will be a titantic battle though,as Limerick are tipped by many to win the all ireland.They tend to do not as well with such high expectation though.

The ladies may if a few retire be under transition but if caoimhe creedon joined up they will be there or there abouts.With eammon ryan staying for another year they certainly have a chance but juliet such a great player,is understandably a huge loss this year.
    End of quote
    ]

Now is as good as any to do a preview for cork gaa 2015
    That was last year preview reposted above, so for this year and my school and line of thought from last year , Didn't take me far wrong so I kept the same principles judging this year with the two main golden rules I have Is don't do emotions when judging a team etc and key Is the crunch,The great great I mean the really great differential factor to help me separate a teams chances from failure to success, is I judge management first and foremost then I work from that.
    Management is really and truly king

Preview 2015

Cork hurling
    Senior I'm optimistic in regards we have a handy opener v Waterford in who are fine hurling talent but complete dissary under cutter management.
    If that's in place for place for cork cork will win handy.

Problem for cork is mcgrath could be gone on by spring if results go against him.
    You always know a manager is in trouble when he gets goes down line of commitment and passion and Im doing everything my power restore the fortunes of a team, he's over exaggeration imo sixty hours him management put in a week show me he knows he's I'n trouble.
    I knows managers put lot work, full time jobs also and not putting in sixty a week.

The problem Waterford have though not many top class available managers for them viable now and with new guy in huge ask mid change to championship.

The fact imo cork will be quatre finalist with just three games to the summit is positive as is cahalane, Walsh hurling full text with cadogan leaving panel imo hugely positive news in better hurlers in Cork than him were in stronger position than last year.
    Walsh hurling full time,he's left side striking should be improved and landers will make sure of that.

Fear is landers is unproven but he's good quality in him.
    Kilkenney will be hugely weaker not so much for other retirement but jj delaney is biggest loss of all and there really short on cover as holden or glynn are not full backs.
    Kilkenney are not unbeatable.

cork need three players from last year mainly a bench though.
    I said this even last year though so my point is cork must really solve full back this year.

Full back cahalane is in pole.
    All he's got to do is be solid and not spectacular but with new rule now penalty takers you can not just foul either
    Dennehy cork intermediate should get a look if cahalane isn't it.
    Colm Spillane imo be great full back but injury is the problem

Cormac Murphy. Colm Barry and imo Jamie nagle should got a call up would be contention one spot at half back
    Joyce lorchan mcloughlin imo two certain starters
    I'd have imo unit of Joyce Ellis and Cormac Murphy with lorchan as a sweeper and two man full forward line

Forwards, dayne lee imo won't be close to start this year as harty form been a mixed bag.
    When Michael cahalane similar scenario was added last year difference was cahalane was consistently excellent in every harty cup game which dayne lee wasn't this year. To be fair to lee he's been played out of position at school level by management that clearly imo don't understand how to fully utilities he strength.
    Lee has potential but imo hayes is further along development should be on cork panel training.
    Sean is well able to win high ball.

Anthony Spillane must get a run at full forward, he's tough , has dog in him, bite and doesn't go missing and second year at under twenty one he'll improve again
    He's on the panel.
    Terrific ucc fresher's last year and castlelyons and cork intermediate imo has real potential.
    Two years ago minor v Waterford got four superb points in the full forward line.

Unfortunately it seems pa callaghan won't playing cork senior next year.

Cork need depth in strength and no passenger so a bench of like Jamie nagle, conor sullivan, rob o shea, Colm Barry, Spillane and Colm if fit cork should have good bench
    Paudie being back should help competition up front.
    Cooper will improve year on in this set up
    The likes of rickard cahalane and imo daire lordan offer potential to be worked on.
    Lordan could be another ball winner with more potential than others.
    Cork better giving him games see what he does than play cian mac when we all know what he does and more importantly can't do at the elite senior intercounty level.

Realistic expectation for me in year four, get settled full back NOT SHANE O NIELL OR MACCIE OR KILLAN BURKE AS THERE BRILLIANT CORNER BACK BUT NOT FULL BACKS
    If cork play either those full back I'm going to cry as it's joke at this stage we have no full back

I expect cork to get to all Ireland final and at least get to an national hurling league semi final.
    Any thing else is failure
    Both can be achieved, ideally hurling league final should be the aim.
    I believe In jbm , the key is tactics nous of landers has he got it at senior???
    I'll answer that after four games in the league. I'll clearly know then as I will be closely watching cork training side line tactics now and we will soon know if landers has added to the set up.

If he does it there's an all ireland in Cork.

The league panel when finalised or championship should tell us a lot as current panel there is at least five that should imo be no where near it as there not up to elite senior intercounty level.
    The question that must be asked in every player trials for cork?????
    How we do v Kilkenney either now or in the future ???if you find yourself pausing in moments thought looking for reasons why he would do, and struggling to find reasons to back it up, that's your answer in a nutshell in should be on the panel.

To survive against Kilkenney like in killarney v kerry football You need a special type of characteristics in a player , nice hurlers or nice footballers alone won't do, that simple.
    The ist league game v Kilkenney in valentines night is imo crucial cork season, cork need a win to get momentum. Get intensity up.
    Loose and we have too tough tough games v clare and Dublin.
    The Kilkenney game cork must be ruthless and go for goals as without jj there's goals in Cork full forward line and Kilkenney have problems there and wont be fixed by ist game.
    It's a catch twenty two situation though in Cork banging in three goals great for corkIn the league but I can guarantee you who ever full back under Cody conceded three goals at full back won't be there for championship so in one sense you give Cody lesson he'll learn in championship unlike cork with mcdonnell being destroyed full back in 2012 league final yet cork still played him there time and time again, worse still tried other corner backs full backs and made imo them poor players by shattereing their confidence.

The only thing I's imo Kilkenney actually don't have many options for full back,as said before this is jj retirement will hurt them the most.
    There vulnerable now at full back, cork must be ruthless in strike while the iron is hot , forget soft scoring point options goals goals goals go for v them
    You instilled that mentality by doing it in training now , inside certain areas any forward told go for goals. If he misses fine, he goes again and again in training til you perfect it.
    Cork must become more goal hungry, that has come from management instilled that goal mentality in training, you can't just turn in on games.
    Cork still imo not doing enough in this department and I hold management responsible for this , should be going for five v Waterford replay last year but we're not ruthless enough.
    If that was Kilkenney would got at least three v Waterford in that game.
    Cork score points for fun, Add goals and a full back to this team and they will improve hugely imo.

Cork minor hurling I expect cork to get to munster final at least, if not then its a disaster.
    I think they will get to a Munster final at least.
    Getting to all Ireland semi final would be brilliant in give lads exposure at croke park.
    Expect them to get to an all Ireland semi final.
    I rate Denis ring hugely, proven coach at intercounty, senior club, etc.
    Dwyer I rate highely as coach.
    Martin excellent stats wise etc

Hartnett I said last year should be with cork teams huge hugely talented coach so cork have some set up with Ritchie o leary doing good work also in the strength and condition side of things.

Under twenty one hurling
    I expect cork to beat Waterford as they still haven't finalised under twenty one management, if one set up gets the job though cork want be prepared as one candidate for coach is top top coach, if cork near waterford I fancy them to beat clare, have no mistake what hear Liam Hayes huge part in this management set up.
    Damien irwin keen student of the game and may lack tactical nous but hayes has that and irwin has organised and cohesion   so I'm happy.

I think tipp may win munster this year but cork won two competitive games back to back for the ist time since 2008  and competitive munster final I'd be happy.
    Munster final the goal.
    It's achievable.
    Tippeeary imo will win it this year, made constant progress Last two years gave clare tough games and they have the minors from three years ago they will be formidable, but good thing is if cork play them in munster final it be in the pairc u rinn.
    Connelly good coach with tipp.

Intermediate
    Can't judge in bran new season
    Expectations is not much. But I'd be happy if ronan dyane had little to do with the team if at all possible and ronan sheehan laid platform next year.
    To get Even one game win here would be credible achievement imo.

Cork football
    My. Minimum target would be cork win munster and stay in division one and get to an all Ireland semi final then I'd give cuthbhert a new term

Expectation is we will be relegated from division one , beaten by kerry, and any half decent team beat us all Ireland quatre final
    I have no belief at all in this management, and nothing since last year changed that.

My hope is those if results are poor,cork not do what they done not once but many times last year turn blind eye to cork important issues and failed to question them.

Cork have too many false dawns in gaa and at times there is those in cork have huge influence that in blowing up wins without seeing the context of a game or their opponents at face value

Like last year mid spring to say cork football realistic all ireland contenders when you looked at inexperienced management we were not going to be anywhere close to an all ireland final.
    To say cork would win a trophy and it was guaranteed was just way off and in league, munster, or all ireland weren't even competive in crunch games.

Minor football target would be beat kerry and get to all Ireland minor semi final
    Truth Is imo a big defeat in kerry and a short season
    Donal o Sullivan wonderful passionate gaa man  Great servants, wonderful record beara in 97 but tactical astute modern day management reading a game in flow imo he's way off the standard for the modern game
    I'm not doubting for one second he's knowledge or wisdom of the game its the tactical mastering in modern football I hugely doubt
    This management term is up this year , and if kerry beat them they shouldn't be getting a new term.
    You offer the job to james Mccarthy.
    I would say offer it to English or Cleary but imo they should be senior managers.

Under twenty one win munster but huge huge game all Ireland semi final play Dublin imo win leinster
    Target would be win all Ireland
    They will give it a good go
    Sean hayes is a brilliant manager and proven record while gene o driscoll is a brilliant coach proven also.
    Add in darragh o she who brilliant imo the greatest midfielder I ever seen but poor poor tactical manager.

Cork junior football will have tough game v kerry but target imo is win all Ireland And imo they will do just that once get over a very very tricky kerry in Cork. Management proven at this grade.

Cork ladies football
    Target will be like every year win the all Ireland, Kilkenney style Last year is history
    Expectation is they will win it
    Manager is a legend and ronanye with them brilliant with Mourne abbeys ladies also this year.
    Minors have talent coming through, cork won all ireland under twenty one last year, any retirement I still think they will be fine.
    They got over juliet murphy Retirement so there capable doing the same again.
    They have a relentless culture of winning, hunger,and no cork team wants to be seen as odd one out In team failed win all Ireland.
    They don't do nonsense like success comes in cycles as excuse drop standards, say next few years well drop off as we won every year. Like Kilkenney when beaten come back stronger   and always try hit standards or more previous years.
    Even with old generation gone or going new breed talent been developed in same mentality and imo it's not will cork win an another all ireland but how many of the next five In the next five years they will win.

Cork camoige

A lot depends if Paudie Murray is in charge
    Target  is retain to an all Ireland.
    Expectation if Murray is there imo they will win it
    This guy I said it before I'm huge huge fan top top coach,he's a winner, ruthless In pursuit of glory.

School hurling
    Target is cork get a school to harty cup final and win it and get to all Ireland school semi final
    Ag mhurie have easier side of the draw avoiding Ard scoil
    Rochewstown have easier quater final though so it's interesting, 
    Rochestown in my opinion the better management than Ag but Ag the better players.

Corn u mhurie
    Target is cork side get to a final
    Expectation imo is clonakilty will do well make it, Rochwstown dual status means they imo will suffer in the football

Cit will give the fitzgoibbion a rattle but lit imo at home training hard, pushed clare all the way in a challenge last week End will be a real danger for any team
    Cit have pat mulchay and Donal involved good coaches
    Ucc will be real contenders with ger blue, furlong , seanie Mcgrath, Jim McCeovy

Ucc In the sigerson cup will be there or there abouts king billy Morgan, a real real coach who is a top top great great, I mean really really great coach.

Cork club scence
    Hurling I expect the county champions to come from midelton, rockies, Douglas and possibly the glen.
    As long as sarsfields don't win it I'm not too bothered.
    Hopefully sars will start to build new team with lots very talented young lads and id like them to win a senior in a few years but only when they can win munster for cork.
    Winning a county next year like I said this year is bad for cork hurling as they offer cork nothing going forward at intercounty senior bar conor sullivan, rest miles of senior elite intercounty.

Club football
    I expect castlehsven to win the county and nemo to be their or their about.
    Talent is combined by wonderful astute young proven coach james Mccarthy.

Target is cork club wins munster title and in all grades at least one beats kerry team break dominance last year

Off the field my hope is with ger lane and Tracy Kennedy we will get more reasonable debate in Cork gaa when issues need to be address a far change from Bob ryan view despite he's claim cork gaa is not run by any single one person , very hard to belive when any ccb meeting he charge it was case of he's voice and if he didn't like opposite view shut it down in no debate.

The refusal to debate cusack among the overlooking of Cleary imo was appalling for a chairman of any organisation in the attuide we won't debate.

I expect ger lane and Tracey Kennedy, two I have huge admiration for will at the very least debate such issues when they arise.
    One slight worry I'd have is I listened to ger lane on radio this morning and he didn't seem think any problem in Cork club scence for hurling. He seemed to think it was fine yet jbm recently said he's not happy with cork club hurling, wants better.
    On the other hand he seems like type and would encourage debate in the issue.
    The club's can this year make submission in championship up review at end year, must do that as cork scene is vert poor.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see some one like Wallis to speak about poor standard cork club referring in when he gets up running as midelton manager as he spoke about it to the papers before when he wasn't even in Cork management team.
    Of course some in Cork were not happy with what he said but that was few years ago and look where it's at now,he was fully justified in he's comments.
    I have talked to a lot of players ex managers I know and they say the club scence standard is poor compared other counties and all mention refereeing too soft.
    Just watch harty cup knock out games now with fergal horgan in charge, that's really really top manly referring.

a year ago
    21/10/2013 12:06
    thinkstoomuch1
    Rebel leader

Cork’s new manager Brian Cuthbert has much work to do if he's going to win over the doubters

Brian Cuthbert inherits a panel which is within reach of Dublin, Kerry and Mayo
    Business at Tuesday night’s meeting of the Cork county board proceeded with a familiar, ruthless efficiency, pausing briefly to announce Brian Cuthbert as the new senior football manager before applying a full stop to all subsequent discussion like the bang of a judge’s gavel.

Michael Maguire, the Castlehaven delegate, asked for some detail on the reasons behind Cuthbert’s appointment ahead of his old teammate John Cleary. County chairman Bob Ryan pulled his kite to the ground before it got airborne. The discussions were confidential, he said, before taking aim in the usual direction and letting off a few shots to scatter any lingering crows.

Local media reports that the interviews with Cuthbert and Cleary addressed the subject of dual players, Ryan said, had been erroneous, damaging and completely untrue. Perhaps, he said, one particular newspaper had a mischievous agenda when it came to Cork football.
    ]

That was in sunday independent paper last year after cuthbhert got the job.
    Such attuide from the ccb hopefully will not happen this year and saying A news paper has agenda just cause they ask a question imo most cork wanted to ask in regards dualism, my opinion was a bit harsh.
    Cork gaa must from board level down have decromatic debate imo.

The ist line this article was right in  cuthbhrert inherited a panel within reach of Dublin, mayo and kerry.
    Make no mistake the talent is in Cork football but young lads must be developed to the next level like kerry etc.
    The cork gaa one things is for certain something we can all agree on, is there will be plenty to talk about in 2015.

In regards cork managers outside the county, i expect ephie to do well with clare, creedon with tipp,won't win all Ireland but when they leave they will leave their teams in better position and ger cunningham and ed coughlan to do well with Dublin, leinster final and all ireland quater finals I expect them to get to and depending on draw even further

I'd expect limerick minors to not be as strong and the honeymoon period imo is over for them at minor in terms of progress over absence jerry Wallis and under twenty ones with Ross Corbett and jimmy quIilty expect them to do okay.
    Any progress eoin cadogan makes with armagh hurling will be progress and I wish the Orchard county the best for next year
    And cadogan in he's role.

Corks biggest dangers in terms of opponents imo will be senior hurling Kilkenney and clare, not tipp there In decline under o shea in as good coach he Is they suffered too many defeats to Kilkenney and crying out for a new voice.

In football kerry obviously but any half decent team with good manager real threat to cork
    Imo only two teams will have chance to win the all ireland, Dublin and kerry
    Rest of the chasing pack will be miles off despite armagh been blown up under the over hyped mcgeeney, they won't come close to an all ireland.
    Having said that armagh would beat cork.
    From football sense I'd fear cork if they had to play Galway, meath, armagh, monaghan, Tyrone , Donegal, Dublin,Clare or tipp.

The only team id be confident in championship is derry, mayo, kilare, sligo, Offaly etc and possibly down but that's imo mainly due to what does team can't do rather than what cork will do.

Cork under twenty one hurling tipp imo biggest danger
    Minor hurling tipp the main danger if we meet
    I wouldnt actually fear Kilkenney minors this year or Galway.
    Tippeeary imo will take some beating.

Cork intermediate hurling, any team Cork In Cork play in they have bran new team next year
    Cork minor football kerry biggest threat to us
    Cork under twenty one football tipp In munster , Dublin in all ireland series
    Cork junior football, Kerry, get over that game they won't be stopped by anyone.
    The biggest threat to any cork school winning the harty cup is Ard scoil ris,Thurles are good but quite beatable imo.
    Imo neneagh, castletroy, youghal definitely won't win it,lack real scoring power.

Hamilton unlikely but better chance than the three I mentioned and if any team can pull shock win v Ard scoil it's these lads.

Ard scoil, Thurles, rochestown or Ag mhurie the winner will come from.
    In the corn mhurie, corks team biggest danger are the kerry teams.

The pairc project should be interesting to watch unfold, i hope it doesn't become a drama but my opinion is I have a fear based on past history there will be some drama with this down the line in there always seems to be something in Cork gaa.
    I still can't get my head around how it's costing seventy million and it's not actually a bran new stadium to be honest In my opinion in using part old stadium in part of the new one.
    If I was spending that much money I'd expect bran I mean bran new stadium.

I got the evening echo tonight and fair play credit where due real value in it tonight in lots good interviews regards noel galvin. Daniel kearney etc and mention cork camoige and ladies football in great detail.

The kearney interview was brilliant I'n right at the end he had the boldness, honesty and conviction to say club referring up the country let's game flow more and in Cork it's blow most times and he asked why that is

Daniel my answer is its poor simply as no ex pundit or player or media person really tackle the sub standard basket ball like referring in Cork and brings it to the attention nor do the club delegates at ccb meetings but crucially above all the ex refeee who was an absolute brilliant referee in frank murphy blatantly ignores the shambles it is in Cork scene right under he's nose as the secretary cork gaa and yet he has the audacity to question inter county referring just cause their cork lost game to mayo but in truth cork would lost that any way.

In the last two weeks we had jbm and now kearney say the cork hurling club scence not as good as they like and identity problems, that's a current player and manager yet no one will really tackle the issue and mention it as real real concerns.
    To be fair to barry Donovan I think in the echo he touched on the hurling but focused on the football but there's real real opening here for any good journalist wanting to become a great truly great journalists,in my opinion of course, in they should as they have the means to do so but forensically look at number frees given in Cork club matches and compare and contrast to Kilkenney and limerick and id almost guarantee that the free ratio in Cork is double if not treble those those counties.
    And that's a real real issue cork hurling must truly debate where for and against the current referring style in debate it and let's the fact show the reality.

I always as known here have huge huge time for Daniel kearney rightfully club player of the year, and one cork best players all season last year even v tipp and he's real dog and bite in he's hurling blessed with terrific spatial awareness, lovely hands, wonderful pace and feet and real classy hurling but this interview shows the honesty within to call a spade a spade and not go with the status quo, and like Aidan walsh speaking out against dualism this shows character I mean really really great character within and these are the exactly type of players cork demand and are truly blessed to have on the field of play In their like the rock, cusack, deane before them,off field they lead the way and are true true I mean true warriors cork hurling are blessed, truly imo blessed to have wearing the famous legendary red and white blood and bandage of cork.
    Well done Daniel lad, let's hope others now will actually listened to your grievance and actually change the referring protocol not the referees themselves, and if they do then cork club hurling will be better and indeed at all levels cork hurling will be far far better imo overall which at the end of the day calling a spade a spade can only be good for cork hurling.

Does anyone in Cork know where Graham Canty went to secondary school?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

TTM......I'm fascinated with this refereeing debate in so far as Cork is concerned.
    Surely the rules are the same in all counties and a foul is a foul in Kilkenny and Tipperary if it's a foul in Cork.
    I would dearly love somebody to explain this 'grey' area in more detail.
    It seems to me that abuse of the rule leads to 'hell's kitchen' or 'knocknagow' style hurling
    where anything goes.
    Is that what is being advocated or am I missing the point completely?
    Answers on a €50 note please and happy new year to all who pass by here.

Theres logic need to be applied
    I've seen school games where lads are allowed to have physic contact obviously not dangerous blatantly foul play

I see your point wacko and it's valid in we don't want free for all either we want hurling survive not just the brute physicality but you can imo have a balanced approach.

Kearney isn't a physical player but more of a hurler so when he says he wants game allowed be let flow more then time take notice
    Some cork referees blow for any contact in the game

Its hurling not basket ball and obviously can't be reffeed like rugby but have do the balance.
    Unless intercounty referring changed to every contact Is blown then cork have no choice buy in to referee like intercounty as whether people agree with cork style or more tough style in other counties it's irrelevant in a sense in, if inter county style is one in the fray which ever style it is then cork should follow as players in Cork at moment have one style in Cork and one style in intercounty.
    Imo easy solutions is meet intercounty referrers and simply follow their protocol whether it's the soft or tough approach.

If intercounty referring blew every time it be fine in Cork in players used same style but its not the case where as other county club scence more in line with inter county ways.

The current cork style needs to be looked at and kearney highlights it.
    I was talking to a club player who said the same referees blow for slightest thing in Cork.

Nobody advocate dirty foul play, but at the end of day people want a flow to it.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/wallace-urges-cork-hurlers-to-get-more-physical-193564.html

Wallis made valid points
    I'm not critical of referrers either as I said I don't blame them it's protocol there given if told to be tougher they will be

I think I know who the Kilkenney. Club player he on bout is and that player if it's the same guy I'm thinking of is not dirty player at all all and certainly would not be a hard player at all but just obviously realised the softness In Cork hurling and was right to point it out imo.

Touching on the subject of refs the cork public also need to Cop on I have been at matches ref by Mcallister and Bermingham who generally let the game go without blowing for everything and people would be screaming out for frees left right and centre. I think these two refs are good for the game and should be applauded for their style.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Touching on the subject of refs the cork public also need to Cop on I have been at matches ref by Mcallister and Bermingham who generally let the game go without blowing for everything and people would be screaming out for frees left right and centre. I think these two refs are good for the game and should be applauded for their style.

Fans screaming at refs for frees is hardly solely a Cork thing:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement