Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

No I was in stand for all the game smith
    Frozen soild
    I never leave match during a game
    What u make game and

ttm1, was there a shane hennessy on the programme for Nenagh? He was an exceptional hurler coming through underage but hasn't been able to hurl for the last 18 months. He was a county minor at 15 iirc but has barely hurled since. Supposed to be near a comeback now and rumors were that he might have been togging today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

dcrosskid wrote: »
    ttm1, was there a shane hennessy on the programme for Nenagh? He was an exceptional hurler coming through underage but hasn't been able to hurl for the last 18 months. He was a county minor at 15 iirc but has barely hurled since. Supposed to be near a comeback now and rumors were that he might have been togging today.

He didn't start no was panel no 34

I'm talking to nenagh man now and he said he' should be on under twenty one team future if get clear run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Rochestown won handy in end in late goal put gloss it

3-9 to two eight

Game pretty much panned out as I expected

Rochestown got match up bang on and nenagh has no scoring forwards bar one

If this was dry day they would won by more
    Wonderful victory more detail report later
    Great credit nenagh never gave up and had last minute free to save day but truth far better team won
    Players and coaches deserves immense credit coaches got the game plan perfect absolutely perfect and rochestown had some fine individual displays

Spot on. Conditions made it a bit of a dog fight.

The difference was the class of the forwards. In fairness, Nenagh won a fair bit of ball in their forwards but couldn't capitalise, whereas Rochestown had lads who could pick scores and take goals much more easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

The McGrath cup even when they win it will have been of no use to cork whatsoever as we seem oblivious to the obvious. There is no point in selecting the likes of desmond, hodentt and hayes who aren't senior level, same go's for Jennings who is even out of position.
    Aas for the keeper, he is at this level an average keeper with a weak kickout - weak in the sense that he doesn't have the confidence to go long if a few go wrong for him. Why is price on the panel if he isn't getting a game here ffs? Is it select ohallorhan at all costs? since Cuthbert took over ohallorhan has played in every game bar the tyrone game last year where david hanrahan was excellent.
    While with other management playing cadogan at centre back would only be for token, with this crowd it could be with some 'genius' plan involved. Cadogan is a fine full back as long as he is given cover by outside backs like ALL full backs, However he is a poor kicker and runs into rouble with the ball - cardinal sins for a 6.
    Management are pinning everything on cussen, unfortunately like with jbm, walsh and counihan before this wont work but here we go again. Collins will do well against a pathetic Waterford team but is a half forward.
    Again durrant is on the panel because he played minor with Kerry and bishopstown men are in awe of the green and gold, he admitted himself he had a poor club championship up until the final!
    Barry o driscoll on the panel years like hayes - good in these matches not a championship player, if these 2 take championship panel places over the likes of Vaughan or maceoin we are in real trouble.
    We will head into the Dublin league game with nothing learned unfortunately and without a coach - unbelieveable stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

dcrosskid wrote:

The curse of the dreaded cruciate. He is still minor this year and my Nenagh contacts tell me that he expects to rejoin the Tipp minor panel in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

sean mac wrote: »
    The McGrath cup even when they win it will have been of no use to cork whatsoever as we seem oblivious to the obvious. There is no point in selecting the likes of desmond, hodentt and hayes who aren't senior level, same go's for Jennings who is even out of position.
    Aas for the keeper, he is at this level an average keeper with a weak kickout - weak in the sense that he doesn't have the confidence to go long if a few go wrong for him. Why is price on the panel if he isn't getting a game here ffs? Is it select ohallorhan at all costs? since Cuthbert took over ohallorhan has played in every game bar the tyrone game last year where david hanrahan was excellent.
    While with other management playing cadogan at centre back would only be for token, with this crowd it could be with some 'genius' plan involved. Cadogan is a fine full back as long as he is given cover by outside backs like ALL full backs, However he is a poor kicker and runs into rouble with the ball - cardinal sins for a 6.
    Management are pinning everything on cussen, unfortunately like with jbm, walsh and counihan before this wont work but here we go again. Collins will do well against a pathetic Waterford team but is a half forward.
    Again durrant is on the panel because he played minor with Kerry and bishopstown men are in awe of the green and gold, he admitted himself he had a poor club championship up until the final!
    Barry o driscoll on the panel years like hayes - good in these matches not a championship player, if these 2 take championship panel places over the likes of Vaughan or maceoin we are in real trouble.
    We will head into the Dublin league game with nothing learned unfortunately and without a coach - unbelieveable stuff

Good Gawd almighty Sean, you have me reaching for the wommitorium with that amount of pessimism.
    BTW, there's a picture of Walsh on that link posted above, celebrating a point he scored v Tipp last year down the pairc. Anybody know who did the donkey work and gave him a waist high pass in front of him?
    Somebody should advise that young man that a shut mouth catches no flies. He overdoes this media stuff week in, week out, instead of telling those journos to scamper off. I don't buy that comment about Kanturk people giving him grief after the Tipp match either. There's nobody that brave in Duhallow.....lol

Sorry wacko, but haven't been this despondent about the cork senior football team since about 1 minute after losing to Fermanagh in croke park in the last decade. Havent heard a single positive thing to come out of the set up or to do with training or the set up for 2015

sean mac wrote: »
    Sorry wacko, but haven't been this despondent about the cork senior football team since about 1 minute after losing to Fermanagh in croke park in the last decade. Havent heard a single positive thing to come out of the set up or to do with training or the set up for 2015

Cheer up Sean, sure didn't we win an All Ireland since then, and mark my words we will win another one before 2031.
    You'd never know, moving the brains to Monaghan Road might spark a football revival?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

TTM.. A gutsy performance from Rochestown. Some good performances from the usual suspects. Thought no. 25 Meaney threw himself around well and got stuck in. conditions were very tough and Rochestown won a match Cork teams would normally wilt in. Kingstons point in 1st half where he caught puck out and showed class by losing his marker and pointing was superb for any level. The nenagh no.6 did a good marking job tho. Was Nealon no.29 dropped or just not good enough. Would be great to see Rochestown go all the way. Their subs today all performed well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Ballincollig fans must think cuthbhert is brillant

not a hope

The sooner we can get players away from Cuthbert the better esp after the way he treated Pa Kelly last year

Man is a joke

Lads are getting game time in McGrath Cup even if most are out of position

Majority won't be on the panel for the league although Kiely will come into play then

The more time and more players we have training with Cork, it won't be good for the club

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ANNONCORK

Story with Pa O Callaghan not playing again this year. I knew he wasnt going to but anyone know why ? He'd be some addition like it doesnt make sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

ANNONCORK wrote: »
    Story with Pa O Callaghan not playing again this year. I knew he wasnt going to but anyone know why ? He'd be some addition like it doesnt make sense..

Maybe he'll cross the border and play with limerick! Would be handier for him to get to training and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭CORKDOUBLE

Lads that football team named for sunday ....it makes no since ....first they said Cussen was injured hamstring yet hes named ....Goold has a slight calf injury yet he does not play ....last sunday Clancy was poor at no.3 and Cadogan was poor at no.6 , both play in the same positions on sunday ...the players called up from the clubs Ballincollig etc. have neaver shown form with respects to them to play at this level ....they do not stand out in the county championship ...they are no where near intercounty standard .....you would not need a rocket science degree to know that this man has no clue what so ever ....again this year they are the only team ever to train hard on Friday nights ....even Don Davis said last year that he found that strange ....no effort what so ever in picking a settled team ....no idea who to pick at midfield when everybody knows that its a big problem area for us ....Michael Cussen is not the answer I hate going on about him the poor guy gets a lot of stick ...fair enough he cant play Ian Maguire , Sean Kiely or Ruairi Deane at the moment ....but surely Michael O Laoire and Sean Dineen are better bets right now for midfield ...but then the treatment of Dineen last year was a disgrace ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Lets worry about who we have and not worry about those that aren't there. A good intermediate final in Cork doesn't make any player the answer to Cork troubles. I would like to see him involved to see what he could achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

CORKDOUBLE wrote: »
    Lads that football team named for sunday ....it makes no since ....first they said Cussen was injured hamstring yet hes named ....Goold has a slight calf injury yet he does not play ....last sunday Clancy was poor at no.3 and Cadogan was poor at no.6 , both play in the same positions on sunday ...the players called up from the clubs Ballincollig etc. have neaver shown form with respects to them to play at this level ....they do not stand out in the county championship ...they are no where near intercounty standard .....you would not need a rocket science degree to know that this man has no clue what so ever ....again this year they are the only team ever to train hard on Friday nights ....even Don Davis said last year that he found that strange ....no effort what so ever in picking a settled team ....no idea who to pick at midfield when everybody knows that its a big problem area for us ....Michael Cussen is not the answer I hate going on about him the poor guy gets a lot of stick ...fair enough he cant play Ian Maguire , Sean Kiely or Ruairi Deane at the moment ....but surely Michael O Laoire and Sean Dineen are better bets right now for midfield ...but then the treatment of Dineen last year was a disgrace ....

Just on Dineen, he was asked to go back for the McGrath cup but declined. And O'Laoire should at least be starting every second game for the Mcgrath cup and league to see how he goes, but Collins is put Midfield!!! Bit of a joke.

• Advertisement

Smith614 wrote: »
    TTM.. A gutsy performance from Rochestown. Some good performances from the usual suspects. Thought no. 25 Meaney threw himself around well and got stuck in. conditions were very tough and Rochestown won a match Cork teams would normally wilt in. Kingstons point in 1st half where he caught puck out and showed class by losing his marker and pointing was superb for any level. The nenagh no.6 did a good marking job tho. Was Nealon no.29 dropped or just not good enough. Would be great to see Rochestown go all the way. Their subs today all performed well.
    Nealon had injury nenagh lad I was with told me

Kennedy half back was huge suprise be dropped

Management rochestown nor only won game but had key eye on Ard scoil game and that's why meaney came on half time

I said this bout months ago I expected him play v Ard scoil if they meet or hammis in luke meade and ronan lynch they will need his inter county expierence

I think he will start the next day as with sullivan they need expierence
    He was fine yesterday and he'll be fine start
    Griffin was outstanding as was murphy and Cashman was unbelievable and kelleher also
    It's very hard not to include Cashman cork minior but tough call to make

Sullivan has good game but at half time thry imo knew thry had winning game

Cormac was brillant, very strong winning ball and once criticism I had before in relation starting for cork was didn't score enough from play but yesterday goal and scores if keep up will be hard to leave out

Kingston was very good and power and lynch also

Can they go all the way??
    Management imo gives me huge confidence and I think if meaney is fit to start I think as full back line is very tight and their work rate is phenomal they have best chance imo all cork school to do it

If hammies beat Ard scoil cork guaranteed a team in the final and win or loose all ireland series

The five day delay will help Ard scoil v Hamilton as lynch and casey may be back
    My only real concern with rochestown is football also and if Kingston or Cormack or griffin got injured there huge losses
    It was good to see Rochestown physically blow nenagh away in cork teams like you said don't do that

There no reason why cork minors can't be strong this year imo
    Peters and loughanne had great games for nenagh but found scores hard to come by
    I still think rochestown did not hit top gear yesterday and changes at half time imo showed they have more in them which is good news

As for pa callaghan unfortunately he won't be playing for cork it seems

I don't think as another poster said he'd ever play for limerick, imo would make no sense as limerick management set imo doesn't compare to corks and corks is much much better

I think jbm has done all he can to get pa playing but I agree time to move on
    I wouldnt be asking him next year or again he has to make the ist move
    He's huge potential and he's club game would improve under training of Matthew and landers
    He'll do well with with clem smith ballyhale have tough draw next year and could be beaten in ist round

Just on Dineen, he was asked to go back for the McGrath cup but declined. And O'Laoire should at least be starting every second game for the Mcgrath cup and league to see how he goes, but Collins is put Midfield!!! Bit of a joke.
    I'd totally agree

And while hes not intercounty I'd call up Wheldon from haven before I have hazel or Hodnet
    I'm huge fan of mark collins think there's more I'n him and he's working with father at home he can train more he'll be terrific but I agree he is not a midfielder and I fear he'll be made look poor against good teams

Dinnen imo can't blame him declining after way he brought in outstanding challenge v meath in one half sat on bench in sligo game

What do you make of new management in haven??
    Huge loss Mccarthy changed he's mind went under twenty ones

Cork will like win mcgrath cup but the dublin game I'm worried
    If thry loose that with trips to the north it's huge ask to get momentum back huge ask
    Cork never scored from play last week in the second half
    Sean was right durrant admitted he had poor season til the final
    I admire durrant for that and he said there's more in him
    If he had good coaching maybe have him on the panel
    But who will coach these guys to improve is the worry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I'd totally agree

And while hes not intercounty I'd call up Wheldon from haven before I have hazel or Hodnet
    I'm huge fan of mark collins think there's more I'n him and he's working with father at home he can train more he'll be terrific but I agree he is not a midfielder and I fear he'll be made look poor against good teams

Dinnen imo can't blame him declining after way he brought in outstanding challenge v meath in one half sat on bench in sligo game

What do you make of new management in haven??
    Huge loss Mccarthy changed he's mind went under twenty ones

Cork will like win mcgrath cup but the dublin game I'm worried
    If thry loose that with trips to the north it's huge ask to get momentum back huge ask
    Cork never scored from play last week in the second half
    Sean was right durrant admitted he had poor season til the final
    I admire durrant for that and he said there's more in him
    If he had good coaching maybe have him on the panel
    But who will coach these guys to improve is the worry

Your right, Roland Whelton isn't inter county standard, but hes the same as Hazel, a good club player and that is it.
    Collins in a very good half forward and great vision to get quality ball into the full forward line. He's good for us in Midfield if we are struggling in that area, but thats Club football.
    Sean Dineen was messed around last years, and he made a huge commitment to football even thought he up to his eyes with work as a dairy farmer, and all he got was false promises (i wonder how many inter county player are farmers these days?)

McCarthy reluctantly originally took the senior Castlehaven job but reconsidered. The management team are ok, Christy Collins has a lot of experence and should be of a great help to Jim Nolan. John Cleary is doing the training sessions as long as the under 21's are training with the seniors, so i'm not dissapointed with the set up.

McCarthy and Cleary in the U21 set up is excellent.

I can see cork staying up in Div 1 this years league, but i'd say it could be by accident rather than design. Individual brillance to pull us through in one or 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Won't commit apparently - he's not even in with 21s

• Advertisement

M Martin (Nemo Rangers); P O’Connor (Legion), D Culhane (Ballylongford); J McGuire (Listowel Emmets); C Dorman (Bishopstown), B O Driscoll (Tadhg Mac Cathraigh), T Clancy (Fermoy); I Maguire, (St Finbarr’s) G O’Sullivan (Listry); S Kiely (Ballincollig); L Connolly (Nemo Rangers) ; A O Donovan (Nemo Rangers) T Hickey (Castleisland Desmonds), C Cox (Listowel Emmets) P Geaney (Dingle)

Subs: E O Conchuir (An Ghaeltacht) for A O Donovan (40) D Harrington (Adrigole) for T Hickey (42) R Murphy (Beaufort) for B O Driscoll (55) S Keane (Legion) for I Maguire (55) A Spillane (Templenoe) for P Geaney (60) K O Sullivan (Kenmare) for C Dorman (62)

That's ucc team hammered tralee it as I though they would once showed interest, won eeighteen point to six

That half back line and midfield will cause cork huge problem in final
    I hope that team or close it starts v cork in cork need be tested and no false dawns

If ucc go for it they will beat cork if cuthbhert picking wrong team
    Ucc also have a designated football coach
    Ucc win would be best thing ever in wake up call for Dublin and least some wouldn't live off two in two mcgrath cup wins as an honour achievement when with most colleague and likes Mary I being poor and clare not in it. Kerry don't give a monkies and limerick poor then its bit joke competition
    Hurling equivalent is much better

Looking at ucc game you want Culhane or maguire on hayes
    Both trying force way on ti kerry team so both be up for it
    Half forward line I'd hope actually want durrant and Desmond to both start in half forward line
    They have not been tested at all all really and showed nothing great st the same time so I say test them against top half back line

I hope cussen or gould or even collins starts midfield

Maguire or sullivan with kiely helping out will win battle
    Let's start o donughe and jennings corner back. Or loughrey as he's certainly this guy's can do a job, and we'll see how cox and Geaney do against them

Cox is trying get on kerry team so he has point to prove

Ucc half forward line could be stronger but still hazel could struggle like Jamie sullivan defending
    I'm not disrespecting waterford by saying cork are in final, but any waterford fan expects cork win handy
    If Morgan has boys right and cuthbhert sticks same selection he has then ucc will win

You won't know ucc game til the day though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭Horse84

Cit team today

Cork lead 2-6 to 1-7
    Sullivan and Moylan with goals but ciy be fair pat mulchay picked a strong team around middle third and lot wides but well in game

Midfield haughey and Murray not working well all bar haughney got point

Cork should still win but have make changes cronin or kearney if not both have come on midfield and half forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭zetecescort

UCC 2-23 Kerry 2-14 FT

Peter Kelleher was with the hurlers today ...Sean O Donoughue was with the u21. footballers ....does this mean that Kelleher is not with the u21 footballers ? TTM do you know whether he is or not ....thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Peter Kelleher was with the hurlers today ...Sean O Donoughue was with the u21. footballers ....does this mean that Kelleher is not with the u21 footballers ? TTM do you know whether he is or not ....thanks again.

These guys should be told cop themselves and pick one sport at this age. They know themselves which sport they have a preference for at this stage. FWIW I was impressed with both v UL in the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Horse84 wrote: »
    Cit team today

Are they missing anyone? Strong looking panel.

Corn Uí Mhuirí Q-Final - St. Francis College Rochestown v Coláiste na Sceilge - Wednesday January 21st at 1:30pm in Knocknagree

Clonakilty CC v IS Killorglin Wednesday January 21st at 1:30pm in Clondrohid

Cork 4-15 to cit 1-13
    Play winner of tipp or clare

I think tipp win it handy as clare have challenge v WExford today and then game tommorrow

Add in the fact tots who I heard this evening played practically everywhere roving role last night Aron cunningham half forward line and Nicky o connell centre back played a full game for inter firm all ireland that they ei electronics won 3-21 to 2-5 last night I say these lads wont't be up for sunday

Davy Fitzgerald. If it's true what I heard. Wasn't at game myself but know someone that was, was at the game  and right fully so when around seven clare lads either senior or under twenty ones playing

Few other under twenty ones Could be out for sunday also as there in England on holiday for winning under twenty one this weekend
    I expect cork tipp next week to play
    In semi final and if that happens it is likely be cork venue next week as last time they met it was in tipp

Imo the semi final if cork win, should fear none teams left in competition imo if pick right team
    These games very hard to predict cause you don't actually know teams til there announced normally on day of the games with some teams

Ger cunningham meant be lining up darragh o connell kerry player for Dublin as transfer to club up there
    He will be huge bonus if he joins them
    Say few other counties players working up their could be added to the panel

Today was tough tough game and I said during week pat mulchay huge fan jbm and landers and he really done them huge huge favour by picking strongest team available and allow he's lad really go for it and cork won buy today showed up lot lads not up intercounty
    Remember league we will meet better teams and they will bear cork of this team starts imo
    I said half times changes needed be made cronin and kearney I asked for and made difference even though cronin should been on earlier
    When back to a point he got goal kearney that's dhows leadership and cork were in trouble real real trouble up to then
    Harnedy make huge impact point and winning primary possesion and great goal by Mccarthy put a gloss on it

Harnedy got point. Cronin got a point, kearney goal so subs got one three vital time game real senior players, cork needed them
    This was a close game
    Great test today thank you pat mulchay.

Collins fine game could not be faulted for the goal
    Kearney was okay but was taken for a few scores and goal showed why he is not inter county
    Badly burned for the goal, Kavanagh is under twenty one cork but not a forward really
    Questions is he is better than o neill. Mcdonnell or sullivan imo he's not
    Burke and murphy are younger and should be developed imo

Joyce had a fine game, rock solid but hamersley is ex tipp intercounty county player but still real test is callin or Corbett or donnell or Honan or duggan

Conor sullivan had a solid game always sharp and clear the world of ball, bubbles had him trouble at times
    Bubbles moved half forward then
    Sullivan was really cleaned out by lordan in the air who had a fine game for cit imo
    Lordan was called up cork panel but unfortunately got no games yet

Lorchan done well against Cooper but Cooper showed up well and imo should get game time cork as on panel for league, imo starter in championship as he'll improve games
    Shooting needs improve
    O connor had battle with cronin but very impressed with cronin and imo john cronin should be on the cork panel

He even went in full forward at times and while shooting is poor he wins ball and is game
    O connor was solid be fair

Murray completely out played by Aidan walsh
    Murray said it no good on physically contested game
    Had be taken off as I predicted at half time

Haughney git two nice points be fair but murphy from meelin with walsh really won lot ball
    He was injured but when he and Murray went off you could see difference with cronin and kearney imo

Walsh won battle midfield imo on he's own imo on
    Now people may say it's Aidan walsh go easy on haughey and Murray
    Today was test standard they face and completely out of the game in large periods, imagine what riche hogan would do or Browne etc
    That's the standard you aspire to, and must make statement of intent if you want get on the panel.

O shea must get run at midfield as lawton, haughney and Murray are after getting their chances
    Murray should never been called up imo, was called up last year didn't impress, why call him up again
    I don't like a player being made look poor he was , and imo management are to blame asking guys do job he simply proved can't do at this level
    A fine club player in cork credit due but game way more open
    Said after ul when lot though he done well wait for the ist real test

These two lads no where near senior intercounty with greatest respect to them

This game showed that Andy walsh and o Frahill o connor are not up to senior intercounty

Andy Walsh trys hard but can't score
    I though Frahill o connor may make it but he struggled against a non senior intercounty player and lee until he went off was the best of them with two fine points , jack herihly ex cork minor and under twenty one
    Won he's duel with a cork player

Lee had a fine game and will get better with games imo as he's still in school and still young, you give him time he'll make it no doubt
    But you can't keep making excuses for lads twenty four or more with more chances than lee
    Lee I'n two games made a statement some failed do in around six or even more games
    Lee should make league panel if he wants to commit still being in school
    No pressure should be put on the lad

Moylan has game I wanted one two good game
    Pebbles had a fine game from play playing deep at times roaming, had Dennehy in real trouble but dennehy settled chances cork after this I'd done himself no harm imo In no real cover from Lawrence who's fine club player Brian dillon but no really corner back as plays midfield cit

Darren Mccarthy had best game yet and imo was last chance saloon but two threw so he will get another chance and deserves it be fair I think but really and truly questions is he better than farell, Paudie. Cadogan, Spillane , farell, Moylan or horgan so imo should be a sub keeper if not
    We'll have to see but imo better than horgan with attuide but rest I doubt it

Kelleher made goal fine catch and he showed good ball winning and if hurling alone and has no football than he be fine imo but hurling will struggle imo as he needs to develop it but playing under twenty football with cork and football also will imo limit the time he can give it to it

Cronin has fine sub cameo great point
    Lawton didn't set world on fire and he had time to do it, he had moments but you couldn't say he stand out as he should in been around long enough now be fair imo and midfield didn't really get grips until cronin came on and helped the sector
    Harnedy brillant few minutes as always
    Showed furious approach and appetite and he doesn't have to prove anything but every game cork he's tremendous attuide.
    He's imo role model others should follow, he's attuide is brilliant no matter what game it is
    Future captain cork imo

Kearney brilliant game as a sub and saved imo cork at midfield and vital goal

Good test but cork have to simply make changes for the next game as that team won't beat either tipp or clare imo
    The time for testing players and expiernentinting imo is getting less and less in you expiernent in the semi final there out
    I'd pick strong team for semi, brings regular lads up to speed with Kilkenney close up, so you also if you make final, get a second game

You then play the fringe lads in final as winning losing irrelevant imo but extra games vital so semi must win
    They still have challenge v WExford and ballyhale in play fringe lads and mix match v WExford and you'll learn fairly fast v WExford how many make it and you loose WExford it'd irrelevant or same v ballyhale
    You can play them twenty four hours before waterford crystal semi final if needs be as you will have two different teams to an extent

You can't do that next week as you do and their out waterford crystal.
    Cork before killkenny are likely have three more games, but it be great have four and gave all lads chance
    Must win next week imo
    Any one notice change I'n cork style???

I think while not totally possession there tweaking it and running lot more at teams creating off load and seems more goal focused and seem be trying create them more since landers came in and cork seem more on Intent breaking the ist line of tackle rather than pass way to space like last year

Cit Stephen murphy fine gameafter taking time to settle showed why better imo than kearney and should imo be on cork team v WExford in challenge ,he did concede one two but he was up against far better opponent than kearney was and is younger so would improve. copper brilliant game as walsh had also , cronin also and lordan showed up well, and bubbles had a fine game

Cit didn't play Ellis or coughlan was injured wille rock
    Cit should be happy performance though
    Pat mulchay is fine coach
    Throw in Ellis and coughlan they will be tough opponent for ucc as likely meet in their side draw fitzgoibbion cup

On a side note waterford lost so this year failed beat any inter county team so imo early yet but cork way ahead them already

Lads john cronin im baffled absolutely baffled he's not getting game cork
    He reminds me niall mac in 2002 HE'S brave super super ball winner can play midfield half or full forward he brakes tackle and has want desire a hunger unreal second to none

He's shooting is awful tines on good day fine bad day it's awful but good coaching and work he'd improve and wouldnt need to score much cork in he's ball winner and. Strong running creates space for others
    Cit in fitzgoibbion cup final last year he won lot ball but poor shooting at time but he'll rarely be beaten high ball

He's rough diamond with good coaching in senior set up being around better players working full time coaches he imo would improve no end.
    He won more ball than lawton Andy walsh or o connor did put together imo

He's better than peter kelleher work with as hurling alone cit I think while hes solid footballer
    He never fails give less hundred per cent all he needs is finese shooting
    He can actually shoot on day brilliant but consistency he craves
    I wish jbm give him game s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭It makes sense

Lads john cronin im baffled absolutely baffled he's not getting game cork
    He reminds me niall mac in 2002 HE'S brave super super ball winner can play midfield half or full forward he brakes tackle and has want desire a hunger unreal second to none

He's shooting is awful tines on good day fine bad day it's awful but good coaching and work he'd improve and wouldnt need to score much cork in he's ball winner and. Strong running creates space for others
    Cit in fitzgoibbion cup final last year he won lot ball but poor shooting at time but he'll rarely be beaten high ball

He's rough diamond with good coaching in senior set up being around better players working full time coaches he imo would improve no end.
    He won more ball than lawton Andy walsh or o connor did put together imo

He's better than peter kelleher work with as hurling alone cit I think while hes solid footballer
    He never fails give less hundred per cent all he needs is finese shooting
    He can actually shoot on day brilliant but consistency he craves
    I wish jbm give him game s

I have seen him many times playing for lisgoold he has a real cut to him wants to win badly sometimes steps over the line but that is not a bad thing shows desire, I agree if walsh from killeagh gets a chance then so should he not sure why jbm ignores him has been playing well with cit and intermediates for the last few years. Maybe others know the reason but I agree he should be given a chance

I have seen him many times playing for lisgoold he has a real cut to him wants to win badly sometimes steps over the line but that is not a bad thing shows desire, I agree if walsh from killeagh gets a chance then so should he not sure why jbm ignores him has been playing well with cit and intermediates for the last few years. Maybe others know the reason but I agree he should be given a chance
    He needs work no doubt to improve but he's raw potential
    I'd have him on panel before Andy walsh. Lawton, o connor , cian mac every day week that's four imo better than
    All rest countless chances
    I don't know reason but I'd like to know why he's not tried
    Surely today he stood out
    Very young still others are much older and wont improve imo

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭It makes sense

He needs work no doubt to improve but he's raw potential
    I'd have him on panel before Andy walsh. Lawton, o connor , cian mac every day week that's four imo better than
    All rest countless chances
    I don't know reason but I'd like to know why he's not tried
    Surely today he stood out
    Very young still others are much older and wont improve imo

It's a real strange call he was Munster intermediate player of the year last year and still no chance either jbm does not fancy him or there is something else affecting his chances. Cannot be anything to do with being at a junior club as jbm not afraid to pick harmedy or Lawton

It's a real strange call he was Munster intermediate player of the year last year and still no chance either jbm does not fancy him or there is something else affecting his chances. Cannot be anything to do with being at a junior club as jbm not afraid to pick harmedy or Lawton
    Agree or Ellis was also picked
    All like see is give him four games and judge

I'd start him v WExford
    Cork panel is still carrying few not up senior

Does any know who is coaching effin next year please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Does any know who is coaching effin next year please?

Richard O'Neill will be the manager, Fergus Ryan the coach.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Richard O'Neill will be the manager, Fergus Ryan the coach.

Fella from mallow I presume?!

Thanks
    If fergal ryan blackcock makes sense but other one be interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Fella from mallow I presume?!

Thanks
    If fergal ryan blackcock makes sense but other one be interesting

No, it's the Mallow fella alright as far as I know.

An appalling ist half from cork truly appalling ist half in which just two points ist half jesus this is bad really really bad bar individual brilliant Dan mcroin

Scoring from play one half football against poor division four team is dire to
    But cork scores nothing play in half last week also
    But yrrra sure no worries just cork bad day these things happen

Ist foremost huge wind yes but still no excuse for cork, sloppy in contact with ball,midfield average, half forward line I said when picked was no balance no creativity and it's proven today

Now mac eoin able score with bad wind no excuse Hayes
    Some poor wides
    Bar macoin none rest forwards pose any threat
    He actually winning ball also

Expected cork win handy as all due respect Waterford there worst team in munster
    Mvglinchy good coach but limited resources but Waterford deserve be ahead
    A shocking ist half from cork but of course let's not panic, blame wind. Blame everything else bar actually look at performance
    Cork will win it as Waterford will tire and cork training last three months way fitter and once empties bench will win but ist half is harsh lesson in team management picked.

Down four to two.

• Advertisement

The weather is bad for both teams .....dare I say it has the s... hit the fan today with this manager ....the man is out of his depth at this level...

The weather is bad for both teams .....dare I say it has the s... hit the fan today with this manager ....the man is out of his depth at this level...

he will serve out his term regardless of results unfortunately. the best we can hope for is that he doesn't get re-appointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

An appalling ist half from cork truly appalling ist half in which just two points ist half jesus this is bad really really bad bar individual brilliant Dan mcroin

Scoring from play one half football against poor division four team is dire to
    But cork scores nothing play in half last week also
    But yrrra sure no worries just cork bad day these things happen

Ist foremost huge wind yes but still no excuse for cork, sloppy in contact with ball,midfield average, half forward line I said when picked was no balance no creativity and it's proven today

Now mac eoin able score with bad wind no excuse Hayes
    Some poor wides
    Bar macoin none rest forwards pose any threat
    He actually winning ball also

Expected cork win handy as all due respect Waterford there worst team in munster
    Mvglinchy good coach but limited resources but Waterford deserve be ahead
    A shocking ist half from cork but of course let's not panic, blame wind. Blame everything else bar actually look at performance
    Cork will win it as Waterford will tire and cork training last three months way fitter and once empties bench will win but ist half is harsh lesson in team management picked.

Down four to two.

Such arrogance and very condescending. Glad to see posts like this getting it wrong

Firstly well done to Waterford - fully deserved win. But this cork team under Cuthbert are meandering to a terrible season again -listless, rudderless, leaderless. At the end cork had cadogan, ohallorhan, Collins, galvin, Kerrigan, donncha and oneill on the pitch and could manage ONE POINT from play - what an indictment of the set up.
    Being the McGrath cup shouldn't matter, playing against a divison 4 team should ensure victory with a decent team selected, what bull**** will the manager come up with on red fm later, will anyone from the media in cork call this for what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

CORK V WATERFORD - MCGRATH SEMI-FINAL CLASHMORE SUN 18TH JAN   15/01/2015

Cork Senior Footballers play Waterford in the semi-final of the McGrath Cup in Clashmore, Waterford, Sunday 18th January 2015 at 2:00 p.m.
    McGrath Cup (Semi-Final): Cork v Waterford.
    Sunday 18th. January 2015, at Clashmore 2:00 p.m.
    Referee: Sean Joy (Kerry).
    Extra Time if required (2x10 mins).
    We'll have live updates from the game here on the website and on our Twitter page, @OfficialCorkGAA.
    The Cork team for Sunday's game is:
    1. Ken O’Halloran (Bishopstown)
    2. Liam Jennings (Ballincollig)
    3. Tom Clancy (Clonakilty)
    4. Stephen O’Donoghue (Ballincollig)
    5. Padraig Hodnett (Carbery Rangers)
    6. Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)
    7. Jamie O’Sullivan (Bishopstown)
    8. Michael Cussen (Glanmire)
    9. Mark Collins (Castlehaven)
    10. Kevin O’Driscoll (Tadgh MacCartháigh)
    11. Barry O’Driscoll (Tadgh MacCartháigh)
    12. George Durrant (Ballincollig)
    13. Dan McEoin (Ilen Rovers)
    14. Fiachra Ó Deasunaigh
    15. John Hayes (Carbery Rangers)
    Subs:
    16. Ryan Price (O’Donovan Rossa)
    17. James Loughrey (Mallow)
    18. John O’Rourke (Carbery Rangers)
    19. Colm O’Neill (Ballyclough)
    20. Colm O’Driscoll (Tadgh MacCartháigh)
    21. Donncha O’Connor (Ballydesmond)
    22. Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers)
    23. Brian Hurley (Castlehaven)

Note: CIT and UCC players are unavailable for Cork selection in this competition.

Will beat Waterford as waterford even under mcglinchry are poor but same old same old, complete incorrect balance of team and players played out position and no balance to it

Worry is thry will win mcgrath cup and against dublin some team start and be ruthless exposed
    Billy Morgan owes cork football nothing but could do then huge huge favour staring best team v cork if they meet

I m huge fan ken, he gets unfair criticism when I said before you can't blame him when he's actually some appalling midfield to aim at
    Judge him when you give him options
    Like blaming out half in rubgy despite he's being on back foot all game as he's pack can't win primary go forward possession
    But he starting makes no sense in hanharahm should got games and a chance yet none so far
    Bishoptown lads get games after games or else are ist subs on imo

Jennings is average comer back but won't be tested here
    Ballincollig fans must think cuthbhert is brillant
    Exposed in club games yet had move to midfield
    Clancy, cuthbhert, in plays half back full consistently following he's poor concept of what full back should be
    Clancy was in trouble v tipp yet cuthbhert can't or just refuses see it
    Donughe excellent few games and be fine this game but centre back cries out for him, he'll be burned by fast corner forward and sweemey had him huge trouble at times on heavy ground
    Hodnett is fine club player but senior intercounty imo he is not
    Cadogan fine defending and man market but like last week takes too much out of the ball and poor going forward
    Was taken for two points last week
    Jamie sullivan fine going forward but too slow defending should be full or here but in a blanket

Cussen and collins
    Collins fine and will win ball bit against top midfield be blown out of it and is starter for cork but not at midfield imo
    Cussen must made a miracle recovery
    I hope management clarify is he fully fit as I ger impression he bad game talk will be not fully fit yet
    This is not an all ireland final cork don't need him
    He is either fit or not??
    I'd love some clarity on it as management never seem provide any
    Waterford will make a hero out of him
    Probably due few more pages of hype next week
    The way he's seen as saviour cork football at midfield is beyond logic imo
    He hasn't played senior intercounty in five years yet dropped off three intercounty panels since

Half forward line all wrong
    No creativity bar barry o driscoll but imo he's been around too long now nearly six years and I don't think even hugely talented he'll push on now
    Durrant, i gave clear examples not best in cork
    O driscoll is fine club player but lacks creativity and like last year showed won't start senior big games

Mac eoin deserves a chance but he's on poor team
    No fear here with him
    Desmond now bring tries in full forward
    But I'll expect him to play him half forward in a covering role but he's doesn't play that with he's club so imo can't see it working
    And if cuthbhert has him target man won't work either
    He was a sub last week and was quite poor I'n he's twenty minute spell imo

Desmond no where near senior and was actually if im correct taken off v clyda in he was well dominated
    John hayes he'll get one five probably but against tipp tight defending absolutely was very poor but yet again he's played
    If

Waterford are so poor cork will win but huge worry again is concept thought management towards team selection have by picking some out of position and some who have done nothing show there senior elite standard imo

Worry is not that will need it but cork have just one defender named in loughrey and yes o rourke can play half back he's imo not a natural defender
    Even if lads are injured surely cork can have more defenders
    Conor sullivan clyda is injured fair enough but seen as he's quick call up likes hazel and Desmond call up other defenders in club game and they are there imo

I love when complete and utter arrogance and disrespect towards a team comes back to bite. There are actually plenty of good footballers in waterford as evidenced by the Nire reaching the munster club final. The issue has always been getting the structure in place. Liam Lawlor and a few more of the ex hurlers have joined the football panel this year so credit to mcglinchy on that already

where were these lads criticising ttm now before the game started. easy be smart after a game, atleast he has the courage to call a game beforehand

• Advertisement

Worst worst ever day for cork football imo

Im in a state shock, mother divine sweet heaven above
    This is huge shock as I knew cork were bad but never realised be that bad against team just training a bit and the likes coach just new outs second year

This is surpass under twenty one defeat twelve years ago when Don Davis brother was in charge
    I'm actually not going to rate any individual team one to fifteen unless people want me to??? As if I do be so poor I will be getting criticism too harsh and lads I get no joy at all saying cork poor today all over field bar few exceptions

Cork only scores ist point play after full hours,Collins when he finally went up to half forward, well done management tool ye hour to realise it, wonderful management, yes one full hour couldn't score from play Waterford had three from play colm o niell and took off Dan mcroin who shouldn't be taken off and donnacha with frees
    Make no mistake cork would been hammered only cause kerrigan, colm, brilliant doc, and colm o dridcoll while he's not elite level certainly was huge huge improvement on cork great white hope from kerry George durrant who had be taken off as creative player he's incorrectly hyped up be couldn't deal blanket defence and this was only Waterford
    But it was too late as clear see confidence in this team was drained and they have no plan no direction and course NO FOOTBALL COACH
    FITNESS IS FINE THOUGH

Half back line was in trouble all day like I said would be yet one change after houur sullivan off and o rourke who's not half back caused few positional changes
    Appalling game management imo this management has

Wind no excuse as it was dry day and I have seen worse
    I'm deeply saddened as cork football fan see how bad cork football has become in one years
    This was not bad or poor this was truly truly awful and just one point from play yes one point Waterford had three worst ever cork senior football performance I have ever been at and would be last as like few cork fans today. Enough is enough, from there talk there not going to any other games and I regretfully with deep deep sadness am so so close to just not going any more games this current management In charge

But I'll probably go, and I urge others still go to games as players need support more than ever now and it's not their fault as they will have little support imo for league games judging by talk but imo I don't blame players one bit but feel really sorry for them and only reason I will go, support players

This result was a shock in I didn't think Waterford would be team do it but not shock as said here many times this was coming and I have huge concerns regards certain players on cork panel and today unfortunately I get no joy to say I was correct
    I genuinely feel for john Hayes I'm he gets chance after chance after chance yet again scoreless from play has be subbed, feel for Desmond as lad is being asked do a job he can't do and durrant also feel for lad as just cause he kerry man he's hyped up
    Cuthbhery took all three off today but liklihood is he'll start them next week or for the league

Cork no defined style play again and blanket defence Waterford had cork had no clue how to break it down

Wait for excuses just wait, wind, we have players just back missing a lot, we no real interest in this in we try out player build panel when he should be building stability, it's early yet
    Lads things will get a lot worse imo
    Will any of the cork pundits or ex greats please for love cork football actually give realism on this defeat and please call it was it is an embarrassment to cork,.
    Kerry was bad, tipp was bad bar Walsh individual brilliance but this was rock rock bottom but the away trips north imo worry me hugely
    Only joy have I today congratulations Waterford who football fans are passionate and lovely tea and soup I'm having now to warm my self up

Of course it'd unfair to blame Cuthbhert totally as ccb were ones that appointed him but Cuthbhert to be fair he picked he'd backroom team and he deserves criticism for picking an inexperienced one
    This interview after should be interesting and ccb I'm sure won't say thing bout defeat
    This was not any old defeat, it was poor performance with it to a division four team
    Fair play to Liam lawlor imo man of the match
    Congratulations to Waterford

First of all to Waterford posters here, especially long term ones ye surely know me at this stage not to do arrogance or disrespect Waterford, I huge time Waterford football but everybody gave cork a huge margin victory today and bookies had cork odds on
    Yere work rate is phenomenal as yere spirt and yere credit to jersey but three points from play shows yere limited
    Im not being harsh but realistic
    Ye could get promoted this year division four but yere work in progress

Waterford ye will do well remember I said tom Mvglinchy good coach Waterford thread months ago, but I excuse ye I'f yr don't remember as ye normally talk hurling, but it's honest assessment to say cork div one team should beat div four team new manager considering. We had least seven senior all Ireland medal winner on pitch in the end

I'm actually disappointed with two Waterford posters as surely god ye would though cork would won game and go back yere thread and ye will see no Waterford fan gave ye chance win the game
    Great be wise after if yere were so confident victory why didn't ye say before game
    Ye call me arrogant when no Waterford fan gave ye chance today
    Yes yere own fans
    Don't get carried away lads now in fairness

I don't think ye even gave one mention to Waterford football lead up game or was there bar one loyal genuine supporter on forum Waterford football few mention football and it's well know Waterford seen as poor relationship to hurling in the county
    Yet yere great men well done lads come on and accuse me arrogance
    No its not arrogance but any pundit today would expected cork win today
    I hope ye continue to support Waterford football and look forward to yere posts regards the final and ucc will be huge favourite but hopefully loyal football fans like yere selves no doubt make trip support yere team
    Reminds me roscommon lads here after under twenty one win last year but there were not seen since they got beaten in the final

Congratulations lads, I don't begrudge ye victory at all, I'm criticism cork senior meant be elite team should not be beaten by div one team and score one point from play
    Ye were better team no doubt but cork were horrendous
    Ye had loads wides, if ye find two forwards ye will make huge progress
    I hope ye do make progress honestly

Don't get too carried away as any cork fan tell you this is worst football management ever and we don't even have a coach
    Ucc will beat ye next week but I'm actually going for Waterford as be good for football ye win and huge fan Mvglinchy as coach who ye been such die hard football fans will know Mvglinchy cork man and he actually had tipp beat cork before and we'll liked in cork football and no one begrudge Waterford win today

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

where were these lads criticising ttm now before the game started. easy be smart after a game, atleast he has the courage to call a game beforehand

Very true!! How many people thought this result was on the way?
    What he said was right. Cork should be beating Waterford.....and beating them well. I would rank Waterford as the lowest football team in Munster.

That said, congrats to Waterford. Dare I say it - for fear of being shot down by the 'blow in know it alls' - that Waterfords win says more about the JOKE set up that Cuthbert is in charge of than the standard of Waterford's footballers.

I'm sure Cuthbert will come out with some crap the media will swallow, but to the vast majority of cork posters in here, Cuthbert is a joke of a manager, he hasn't a clue, he is out of his depth, but we are stuck with him.

Another unerachieving year ahead for a county with a good supply of very good footballers!!

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Very true!! How many people thought this result was on the way?
    What he said was right. Cork should be beating Waterford.....and beating them well. I would rank Waterford as the lowest football team in Munster.

That said, congrats to Waterford. Dare I say it - for fear of being shot down by the 'blow in know it alls' - that Waterfords win says more about the JOKE set up that Cuthbert is in charge of than the standard of Waterford's footballers.

I'm sure Cuthbert will come out with some crap the media will swallow, but to the vast majority of cork posters in here, Cuthbert is a joke of a manager, he hasn't a clue, he is out of his depth, but we are stuck with him.

Another unerachieving year ahead for a county with a good supply of very good footballers!!

Cuthbert as manager takes most responsibility but what experience did his selectors have before this? any sign of Flanagan today?

also, the twitter going silent with 5 min left and still no sign of posting the result is bad form, this ain't North Korea, we know the score just f**king post it

Cuthbert as manager takes most responsibility but what experience did his selectors have before this? any sign of Flanagan today?

also, the twitter going silent with 5 min left and still no sign of posting the result is bad form, this ain't North Korea, we know the score just f**king post it

Valid point but Cuthbhert picked this selection team and cork were tremendously fit but pat not football coaching

Waterford tired but cork still couldn't score

Any top four team will destroy cork in league

Long journey home now, so more later but in truth not much more say
    I'm lost for words
    Very very very small crowd today at it yet cork lads couldn't perform wait til killrney

I'm amazed that John Hayes didn't get all the blame this time...............ouch
    I presume we will give back that cup nice and shiny. Tracy surely gave it a lash of the Brillo pad just in case we lost.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement