Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

-FINAL SAT 24TH JANUARY   22/01/2015

Cork Senior Hurlers play Clare on Saturday, 24th January 2015 at Mallow 1:00 p.m.
    Waterford Crystal Cup S/F : Cork v Clare
    Saturday 24th. January 2015, at Mallow 1:00 p.m.
    Venue: Carrigoon, Mallow
    Referee: Paul Foley (Waterford)
    We'll have live updates from the game here on the website and on our Twitter page, @OfficialCorkGAA.

The Cork Senior Hurling team for Saturday’s game is:
    1. Patrick Collins (Ballinhassig)
    2. Conor O’Sullivan (Sarsfields)
    3. Damien Cahalane (St.Finbarr’s)
    4. Sean O’Donoghue (Inniscarra)

5. Brian O’Sullivan (Fermoy)
    6. Lorcán McLoughlin (Kanturk)
    7. Glen O’Connor (St.Finbarr’s)

8. Brian Murray (Bishopstown)
    9. Andy Walsh (Killeagh)

10. Peter Kelleher (Kilmichael)
    11. Cian McCarthy (Sarsfields)
    12. Brian Lawton (Castlemartyr)

13. Stephen Moylan (Douglas)
    14. Luke O’Farrell (Midleton)
    15. Darren McCarthy (Ballymartle)

Subs:
    16. Anthony Nash (Kanturk)
    17. William Kearney (Sarsfields)
    18. Christopher Joyce (Na Piarsaigh)
    19. Mark Ellis (Millstreet)
    20. Daniel Kearney (Sarsfields)
    21. Dayne Lee (Na Piarsaigh)
    22. Patrick Cronin (Bishopstown)
    23. Alan Frahill-O’Connor (Youghal)
    24. Seamus Harnedy (St.Ita’s)
    25. Patrick Horgan (Glen Rovers)
    26. Paudie O’Sullivan (Cloyne)

Stephen McDonnell, Luke Meade and Paul Haughney are recovering from injury and were not considered. The CIT and UCC players are unavailable for Cork selection as they are tied with their respective academies in this competition.
    []]]]]

Weak enough team imo particularly at half forward and midfield
    Cork won't beat clare with that team, Ellis, Kearney,sullivan, horgan cronin particular Harnedy have been used win

Midfield very weak and he forward line kelleher is pick but we have two lads flanking him, one who hasn't mobility and lawton hasn't cut for senior hurling so huge ask imo put kelleher in likely be strong clare unit
    Imo like asking plane land one engine despite turbulence ahead
    In one man half forward line won't beat clare with sweeper

I get feeling this is last audition time for some and cork play ballyhale Sunday in Waterford it at 2

I'm not too bothered rest team in good Cahalane getting full back time credit jbm
    That half back line and half forward lime won't start championships but worry is lawton and cian be on the panel when cork need depth next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Ah Jez JBM should have had a stronger team for this match. It would have been a good workout but that cork team isn't up to much. Half forward line won't have Clare worried in any way.

Smith614 wrote: »
    Ah Jez JBM should have had a stronger team for this match. It would have been a good workout but that cork team isn't up to much. Half forward line won't have Clare worried in any way.
    I'd agree that team will need changes fast to win
    What you make kelleher is he worth league spot??
    Would you think Murray up to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

I think its good yere looking at alot of players though, its only the Waterford Crystal. There is definetly talent there. Do ye have another game this weekend for the rest of the panel?

Clare will probably play split their panel in two again this weekend and play another challenge game soon after, so they might not be that strong either. I think it will be a competitive game, worth heading to Mallow to see fringe players anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

letowski wrote: »
    I think its good yere looking at alot of players though, its only the Waterford Crystal. There is definetly talent there. Do ye have another game this weekend for the rest of the panel?

Clare will probably play split their panel in two again this weekend and play another challenge game soon after, so they might not be that strong either. I think it will be a competitive game, worth heading to Mallow to see fringe players anyway.

Playing Ballyhale on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Is Cathal Cormac injured /college tied? Was named as panel addition a few week ago but is seeing no game time. Is Eoghan Finn good enough? Seems to be scoring well for UCC at the moment.

Ballyhale Sunday 2 in Waterford

They played a bruzing encounter last Sunday with wit, bonnar link would got that game
    Majority big stars played and talk is they will play strong team v cork as they are treating Galway side gort like real banana skin leaving nothing to chance
    I expect cork have very strong team for that with like Ellis Kearney Walsh who's injury isn't as bad could been, horgan, paudie, cronin Harnedy are apparently line to play

It remain be seen will Lehane o she's, cadogan Murphy and Spillane be released by ucc

Wexford then next Saturday 31 st in cit

So three games left before the league but be great have four
    Credit due opponent picked in challenge matches been good choices
    Just imo watch football opponent cork pick imo it's going to be some poor poor opponent now

Is Cathal Cormac injured /college tied? Was named as panel addition a few week ago but is seeing no game time. Is Eoghan Finn good enough? Seems to be scoring well for UCC at the moment.

Few names has not game time like Stephen Murphy
    Cormack
    Daire lordan

Imo they should be getting game time as others are getting chance after chance and clearly not up to the next level

Finn he's good club player but imo no

Cork need more ball winners at half forward john cronin should be

Finn imo is fast skilful hurler cork have plenty those

I'm surprised be honest eoghan kinery didn't get call up like other threw minor last year
    He is young strong athleticism and played senior last year killeagh
    He's a Lad play midfield or half forward and imo much better potential club man Andy Walsh
    Landers having coached him is aware he's talent as he had him cork minor and killeagh under twenty one

Last Friday mtichestown cbs lost munster c under 18.5 munster quatre final to Joseph borrsleigh tippereary 1-12 to 2-6
    I wasn't at it but talk Is mtichestown pushed them all the way

St Joseph are hurling school and clubs strong like toomerva, borreslogh, templederry make up their team where mtichestown football strong hold are making waves with mtichestown relying on in ballygiblin, glanworth, skeenarimky etc

Mtichestown team was

Ian Butler killdorrey keeper in munster under sixteen winning c team at under sixteen half and has two years left senior
    John Fitzgerald killdorrey
    John o donoughge ballygiblin
    James meaney glanworth
    Eoin o mahony glenroe
    Jamie o gorman killdorrey
    Caelach hennessehy skeenarimky
    John Ryan skeenarimky
    Colin English fr sheehys
    John landers glanworth
    Dean Barry ballygiblin
    James mullins ballygiblin
    Adrian English skeenarimky captain munster winning under sixteen team November
    John sullivan glanworth
    Michael maher skeenarimky

Subs

James keating killdorrey centre back munster under sixteen b winning team

Jack coughlan glanworth half back munster under sixteen winning c team last November

George pendle ballygiblin real prospect outstanding in munster under sixteen c win apparently goal as sub last day got 1-5 under sixteen final
    He's footballer too was cork development squad
    Michael lewis ballygiblin

Great see likes football schools making break through in hurling and likes Anthony Nash isn't just doing cork hurling huge huge service on the field of play but doing trojian work with various school teams in mtichestown cbs currently and helping develop the next generation hurling talented and while most may not play for cork, it will help avondu who haven't won senior since 96 or around and if even produced one hurler cork team at most grades been tremendous achievement

Great see school like mtichestown this grade make break through, rochedtowm in harty make break through and hammies like wise also who were normally football schools but good see them do well at hurling

Be great if it was vice versa also hurling school made progress football
    Imo depends numbers in if numbers are big enough it may be possible to do both codes, as dualism being successful I's imo a very very tall ask unless you have huge depth as trying to do both with the same core group of players imo is very tough ask now in modern game where most school they have ex inter county players or current players coaching so standards school gaa imo has risen last few years across most grades
    Mtichestown will be in munster b grade under sixteen and Half next year and difficulty imo they may have is they have few of any this year team eligible and the b grade is tough enough

The under eighteen c team with few last year winning under sixteen c munster team should be strong though imo once Nash still coaches them but he should be there hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Few names has not game time like Stephen Murphy
    Cormack
    Daire lordan

Imo they should be getting game time as others are getting chance after chance and clearly not up to the next level

Murphy and Lordan both playing for CIT so couldn't line out for Cork, not sure what story is with Cormack

Murphy and Lordan both playing for CIT so couldn't line out for Cork, not sure what story is with Cormack

I know that Denis
    I'm talking about challenges matches like limerick and ballyhale and now Wexford next week

I never expected them this clare game other games should get chance as others be fair got more than enough chances

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Waterford last beat Cork in a competitive senior football game in the 1960 Munster championship in Lismore. Waterford won by 1-9 to 0-11, the goal coming from a penalty after the Cork goalie fielded a high ball into the goalmouth and was then adjudged to have thrown the ball out of the square under pressure from the Waterford forwards.

It was almost a red-letter day for Waterford football as the minors drew with Cork 2-4 to 1-7 (they lost the replay). Waterford wore the jerseys of reigning minor football champions Abbeyside as the county board didn't have a second set of county jerseys. Abbeyside had beaten Tramore in the 1959 minor final by a single point to no score, surely the lowest ever score in a Gaelic football game.

I travelled to those games by train. How times have changed!

Congrats on your win Sunday

Delighted for genuine grass roots die hard fans like yourself

Said do this for you
    Teams

Waterford 1-9 cork 0-11
    Munster senior football semi final lismore
    Waterford team

Dinny corcoran
    Mark dingley
    Michael prendergsst
    Jim power
    Tommy power
    Michael connolly
    Tomas o riordain
    Montgomery guiry
    Jj Hewitt 0-2
    Michael kirwain
    Paddy sweeney 0-3
    Justin spratt
    Martin Kennedy 0-1
    Tom Mcgrath 0-2
    Tom kirwain 1-1

Cork
    Liam power
    Donal hurley
    Con o sullivan
    Anthony sullivan
    Paul o sullivan
    Eric Ryan
    John o mahony
    Niall Fitzgerald
    Brian Studdart
    George white
    Eugene maccarthy
    Vinnie Barrett
    Sean Murphy
    Joe o sullivan
    Hugo casey
    Subs

Timmy o callaghan for Brian Studdart
    Harry de long for George white

Referee
    D o connell tippereary

Man of the match was meant be Michael prendergast at full back according to reports

Cork team was munster senior football champions in 1956 and 1957 but only Liam power from 1957, had munster senior medal and Eric Ryan and niall Fitzgerald who had two medal from 1956 and 1957.

I hope ye beat ucc Saturday be good for Waterford football and ye need win more but billy Morgan doesn't do sentiment In football

]

Posted that Waterford thread so might well post here

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭CORKDOUBLE

Just over a week away to the start of the BIG season I suppose ....I love the National leauges in hurling and football ..over the last number of years the leauges have produced some great games and is now a very important competition ...most teams that do well in the Leauges now also do well in the championship . What kind of a team/panel will Cuthbert pick is anyones guess ...I wonder will it include players from the Colleges ...remember next Wednesday is el classic co in the Sigerson ! Interesting times ahead even if its very hard to be positive re the footballers again this year under this man.

CORKDOUBLE wrote: »
    Just over a week away to the start of the BIG season I suppose ....I love the National leauges in hurling and football ..over the last number of years the leauges have produced some great games and is now a very important competition ...most teams that do well in the Leauges now also do well in the championship . What kind of a team/panel will Cuthbert pick is anyones guess ...I wonder will it include players from the Colleges ...remember next Wednesday is el classic co in the Sigerson ! Interesting times ahead even if its very hard to be positive re the footballers again this year under this man.

It's extremely hard to predict what cuthbhert is liable do at this stage
    Imo I have better chance picking lotto numbers and winning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

I remember when Cuthbert took over there was a lot of optimism re Cork footballers . Especially after the played Dublin in the league ( not the final )

Where has it all gone wrong ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭Horse84

TheNap wrote: »
    I remember when Cuthbert took over there was a lot of optimism re Cork footballers . Especially after the played Dublin in the league ( not the final )

Well interviews like this doesn't help his case http://m.hoganstand.com/Home/Details/230609
    On the upside he knows what month it is which is something.
    Does he know someone in the southern star by the way or what's the connection?

TheNap wrote: »

Just clarify I was never one those fans I always highlights concerns I have and few here were also same myself

Those that advocated him strongly don't seem post anymore

Lot cork fans didn't have confidence in him the grass roots fans as they knew he's no experience

There's always those those that read a newspaper as gospel see few articles regarding him as bible and think oh he's great

It's simple you look at record him and he's management team

Just to again clarify cork has no football coaching and pat Flanagan is not doing ounce football coaching but strengthen conditions and fitness

I have heard few main man doing cuthbhert recently is indeed Brian cuthbhert

He's seeing himself as a coach

He I said before great skills like administration and time keeping organisations people and time deadline and he would be good facilitior but he didn't bring in good people with him

He's man management is appalling judging by interview after interview and players leaving and not playing for the panel

It's unfair imo to read newspaper like this week and think cork real real real gaa football fans have no grave concerns regards concern cork senior football or don't realise gravity situation

If you read any paper this week you would think no panic as practical every article failed highlights the not once but continously mistakes management all we hear is utter utter in my opinion nonsense like no big deal, and results Sunday dosent matter and things are not that bad

Nobody question why we have no football coaching but instead man trying do it with no proven record in it

You read papers you would understandably think cork football has no real worries for Dublin game when imo there's huge huge worries for that game and season ahead

Horse84 wrote: »
    Well interviews like this doesn't help his case http://m.hoganstand.com/Home/Details/230609
    On the upside he knows what month it is which is something.
    Does he know someone in the southern star by the way or what's the connection?
    Always changing the goal posts
    Unbelievable

Last week he said cork were where he wanted to be wanted win the competition as good last year and felt huge important

Now Monday he said cork long way off where wanted be

Now it's only January and he doesn't mind loosing

He's going from game to game changing view and clearly lost confidence players like you should seen players walking off ptifh last week they look demoralised and gutted

McDonnell said cuthbhert can instill belief this set up??

He's man management are imo very poor so how he does that

Course imo southern star will be giving no panic, he's doing best etc now year m

Just wait for excuses next year

We lost load players so we're transition
    Dual players also
    We lost Mccarthy has coach
    He played that loss beautiful in said cork can't underestimate loss set up

End year he will imo say it affected team so he will make no mistake look for second term
    He sees himself chosen one cork football
    Will board give him new term
    It's quite possible but even I'm hearing now last few days penny has dropped with few delegates and they are not exactly going to be for reappointment
    You see cork gaa football needs fill stadium sell tickets and low crowds cork football will actually hit home

I think he's doing poor than expected by he's fans

I dint blame cuthbhert in a sense he should never been appointed

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Has to CD, Maguire is our best midfielder for a start!!!!!Its important for any hope that Cuthbert takes the town blinkers off and gives hanrahan a chance in goal. In addition the likes of brian o driscoll, cathal Vaughan, sean kiely, Crowley are the future and superior to a lot of the average club players who were brought in for the McGrath cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭CORKDOUBLE

Cuthberts interviews are away off altogether ...last sunday after the game the press said he was livid after the game ...but in a later interview with Kieran McCarthy he said it was only January and he would lose no sleep over the result ....he makes it up as he goes along ...Pat Shortt would get a whole series out of him .

• Advertisement

sean mac wrote: »
    Has to CD, Maguire is our best midfielder for a start!!!!!Its important for any hope that Cuthbert takes the town blinkers off and gives hanrahan a chance in goal. In addition the likes of brian o driscoll, cathal Vaughan, sean kiely, Crowley are the future and superior to a lot of the average club players who were brought in for the McGrath cup.

Sean did you read the article in echo Wednesday where headline was something like loss Waterford no cssttophre??

What you make it and as whole cork reaction to defeat it in media and ex pundits?

Cuthberts interviews are away off altogether ...last sunday after the game the press said he was livid after the game ...but in a later interview with Kieran McCarthy he said it was only January and he would lose no sleep over the result ....he makes it up as he goes along ...Pat Shortt would get a whole series out of him .

Why I's he in media immune from critsim?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Sean did you read the article in echo Wednesday where headline was something like loss Waterford no cssttophre??

What you make it and as whole cork reaction to defeat it in media and ex pundits?

Ttm, the article in the echo is rubbish imo written by a journalist who said we would win sam after the kerry LEAGUE game!!!!!!
    in cork over the last 15 years we have become accustmef to defeat in both codes at all levels. Take out u21 football and our results in minor football,u21 hurling,minor hurling have been humiliating for a county of our record.Sorry to say but since 2007 we have taken some awful beatings at senior hurling and the result vs tipp was a huge set back aldo no doubt JBM will get things right,we are now entering a phase wher after 10 years of hard work fm billy &conor hammerings in football are routine and an inept manager is given cover by an executive because of alleged abuse after the kerry defeat!!!!its pathetic as a county we have far too many inept people in management positions,too many players happy to get free into reardens and a culture of mefiocrity.As for ex players saying nothing,doing cork gaa a huge disservice not calling it as it plainly is

UCC (Cork clubs unless stated): M Martin (Nemo Rangers); J Davis (Douglas), J McGuire (Listowel Emmets, Kerry), D Culhane (Ballylongford, Kerry); C Dorman (Bishopstown), S White (Clonakilty), T Clancy (Fermoy); I Maguire (St Finbarr’s), G O’Sullivan (Listry, Kerry); S Keane (Legion, Kerry), L Connolly (Nemo Rangers), É Ó Conchúir (An Ghaeltacht, Kerry); T Hickey (Castleisland Desmonds, Kerry), C Cox (Listowel Emmets, Kerry), D Harrington (Adrigole).

Subs: P McCarthy (Rathmore, Kerry), P O’Connor (Legion, Kerry), F McNamara (Austin Stacks, Kerry), B O’Driscoll (Tadhg Mac Cárthaigh), P Geaney (Dingle, Kerry), S Kiely (Ballincollig), C Horgan (Nemo Rangers), A Spillane (Templenoe, Kerry), E Dennehy (St Finbarr’s), K O’Sullivan (Kenmare Shamrocks, Kerry), K Histon (Cobh), A O’Donovan (Nemo Rangers), R Murphy (Beaufort, Kerry), K Davis (O’Donovan Rossa), P Scanlon (Glin, Kerry), F Courtney (Beaufort, Kerry), K Fulignati (Nemo Rangers), F O’Connor (Knocknagree), C Hyde (Naomh Aban), K Hayes Curtin (Douglas), P Shanahan (Carbery Rangers), S Power (Clonmel Commercials, Tipperary), P Looram (Clonmel Com

Strong team ucc names for Mcgrath cup final

If hunger and want desire is their they will win I'm not betting man but 13/8 bookies very good for ucc

Christ above what's subs bench

Bod. Geaney , horgan, kiely, Histon, Spillane

Talk about game changers

Awesome panel

Clare team v cork
    Patrick Kelly
    Domnhall o Donovan
    Cillan duggan
    Seadna morey
    Gearoid o connell
    Conor Ryan
    Conor cleary
    Brendan bulger
    Colin Ryan
    Patrick donnellan
    Bobby duggan
    Shane golden
    Cathal o connell
    Aron cunningham
    Davy o hallorhan

It's clear day clare will play a sweeper and tight mallow ptich suit them

Donnellan will play deep
    Cork can win but imo team won't win from one started got to brings subs on fast

Donovan fine corner back and Moylan could have tough day
    Duggan fine full back like he's relation pat Hartentt teak tough and good test for Luke
    Morey imo awesome corner back and will shoe why Darren mac is not inter county forward

O connell I don't know much about
    Ryan terrific player everything you want in a hurler and he'll have too much for lawton
    Cian mac may win ball that's never problem but o connell too mobile you would think
    Cleary on kelleher
    Kelleher will win ball but scoring wise I am concerned but other two I'm worried about

Donnellan sweeping is going clean up in cian mac won't be able run at defence, Harnedy could be ist sub

Now tomorrow real test Murray and Walsh at midfield
    Bulger and Ryan imo will have too much aggression in hurling and hurling for Murray and Walsh
    Could be cleaned out here

Half forward line

Bobby duggan could be good air but Lorchan be fine
    Golden could be matched by o Connor but real test pace wise
    If o Connor passes pace test I'll play him league of course

Tots going be tough ask for any defender and I'd expect him roam half forward loose ball and he'll likely go on sullivan at half back imo he'll burn him for pace and touch

Two man full forwards line inside with cunningham who ideal test under the high ball for Cahalane but he's fast can hurl and he's strong so great test for Cahalane and imo he'll be okay
    Ist real test for Damien
    Davy hallorhan will be huge test for o donoughge
    He's fast elusive great touch but o donoughge should be okay

Conor sullivan done free man Role for cork in all Ireland final v Clare brilliantly so I expect he'll perform that role well tomorrow imo

Cork can win but can't let clare go six or nine points up
    If player is struggling sub him fast

If Kearney Ellis cronin, paudie and Harnedy come on fast cork will win but depends on side line imo tomorrow

I'd give Cork a decent chance of progressing tomorrow too. I dont think Clare will hit that big a score, so Cork could take the game in the end with some of their subs. Clare will play probably with only 4 forwards, with Cunningham isolated, leading the line. Im not sure will Donnellan actually play sweeper though, it may be more like Ryan and Bugler doubling up at centre back like last Sunday, with Golden and Donnellan playing out around midfield.

There are some good match ups on show tomorrow, Cunningham v Cahalane the pick for me.

I'd give Cork a decent chance of progressing tomorrow too. I dont think Clare will hit that big a score, so Cork could take the game in the end with some of their subs. Clare will play probably with only 4 forwards, with Cunningham isolated, leading the line. Im not sure will Donnellan actually play sweeper though, it may be more like Ryan and Bugler doubling up at centre back like last Sunday, with Golden and Donnellan playing out around midfield.

There are some good match ups on show tomorrow, Cunningham v Cahalane the pick for me.
    Good insight thanks for that

Yeah Cahalane will get good test tomorrow ist signs have cork progress to solving full back
    Cleary played nui tonight??? Defeat carlow

What's o connell half back like?!

Good insight thanks for that

Yeah Cahalane will get good test tomorrow ist signs have cork progress to solving full back
    Cleary played nui tonight??? Defeat carlow

What's o connell half back like?!

Im not sure did Cleary play for Nuig tonight TTM1. Bobby Duggan is involved with that team too.

O'Connell or "Gudgie" as he will be called tomorrow is a good lad, the wing back on last years u21 team. He is very game, but maybe lacks top aerial ability and skill. Hed be a bit down the pecking order atm, unlikely c'ship matchday 26.

I think it will be a constrast is styles tomorrow, Cork with their high tempo fast game, Clare short running game (O'Donovan & Morey important for us). Should be interesting.

Who will hit Cork's frees?

Im not sure did Cleary play for Nuig tonight TTM1. Bobby Duggan is involved with that team too.

O'Connell or "Gudgie" as he will be called tomorrow is a good lad, the wing back on last years u21 team. He is very game, but maybe lacks top aerial ability and skill. Hed be a bit down the pecking order atm, unlikely c'ship matchday 26.

I think it will be a constrast is styles tomorrow, Cork with their high tempo fast game, Clare short running game (O'Donovan & Morey important for us). Should be interesting.

Probably have cian McCarthy and mabee Darren McCarthy if needs be

Ryan terrific player everything you want in a hurler and he'll have too much for lawton
    Cian mac may win ball that's never problem but o connell too mobile you would think

Except that Cian McCarthy is listed at 11, not Lawton, and will be the one that picks up Ryan.

• Advertisement

Cian Mac. Pretty accurate.

Orizio wrote: »
    Except that Cian McCarthy is listed at 11, not Lawton, and will be the one that picks up Ryan.

Numbers mean nothing in a game as you know
    Mccarthy only hope is o connell
    Ryan will be too mobile

As for your own club man good test now for him today

If he performs credit due immense

If not I'm sorry now but No Excuses
    He's around long enough now to be making mark
    Cork can't carry passengers I'm sorry like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Numbers mean nothing in a game as you know
    Mccarthy only hope is o connell
    Ryan will be too mobile

As for your own club man good test now for him today

If he performs credit due immense

If not I'm sorry now but No Excuses
    He's around long enough now to be making mark
    Cork can't carry passengers I'm sorry like

agreed, cian mac aint up to it,

Cork GAA @OfficialCorkGAA · 22s 22 seconds ago
    Waterford Crystal Cup (2nd half,70 min) Cork 2-21 Clare 0-18 #CorkGAA2015 FT

Luke, Cahalane, McLoughlin and Walsh played well apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Orizio wrote: »
    Cork GAA @OfficialCorkGAA · 22s 22 seconds ago
    Waterford Crystal Cup (2nd half,70 min) Cork 2-21 Clare 0-18 #CorkGAA2015 FT

Decent result tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Early days but a nice positive result. Went ahead early on and didn't look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

Good performances from Luke Cian Mac. Lorcan McLaughlin. Cahalane. Any Walsh started well couple of nice points got hooked easily a few times. Luke scored two good goals. Murray Lawton O Donoghue not up to Intercounty std. On another point heard Shane o Neill after walking from panel any one else hear this.

Great win in absolutely gives us another game next week and that's three games left now Wexford, ballyhale tomorrow and now this final and I'm extremely happy with that as it lovely lead up to the league opener

Cork were good be fair but I can't believe clare strong team bar two half backs played as forward are that bad in the ist half so imo I'd not get carrid away and I think when cork play Clare league be different
    With Davy hard know what he's playing at, would not suppose me if clare training last night, they train Friday nights trainings so you just don't know was there shadow boxing as likely limerick always going beat ucc and imo he doesn't want play limerick before championship
    I said I though cork would have make changes ist half win, they didn't game was well over half time
    Clare showed imo though huge increase intensity second half and Davy clearly has harsh words them
    Soon clare upped intensity some cork lads struggled
    Clare were down by twelve half time
    But second half won the half and showed up lot cork players

Looseness first half out clare made some cork lads look good

The key today is imo judge each player on quality opponents he faced and judge first half and second separately
    Cork won ist half handy clare had no intensity
    Clare won second half eleven to eight and we're better team In that half so today we got good indication who up to senior
    They imo dominated possession in that half

Collins super game, composed great see him roaring at Cahalane one stage ti pull back closer goal after twenty minutes in Cahalane was going too far out from goal
    Some puck out
    Mccarthy I'd sub keeper but id have no problem none at all have him sub or even start munster champions game if we had injuries
    Look at he save from duggan, awesome outstanding save he is just the real deal
    Look at saves minor and under twenty one v Waterford he was outstanding in saves
    This Lad has been awesome so good and will be so good I'd actually have him on panel and cork has three goalies before panel I'd have him league
    This Lad is going be among greatest greatest cork goalie along other greats
    I'm lost for words for him
    What a player
    Oh my god he's awesome

Conor Sullivan had great game on he's man he was fine
    Held tots well

Cork have corner backs they don't need likes will Kearney on panel

Cahalane was brilliant on cunningham, passed ist test well but he's more prove but today done well
    It's relief and tomorrow play Joyce v ballyhale as cork must have cover in full back
    O donoughge done very well young minor showed well all competition but cork have others ahead corner back but id defo watch him future but leave him under twenty football for spring no need have him league panel imo
    I think he held he's man from play free

Sullivan got point ist half looked good as clare were poor , golden believe is half back that played half forward
    So he was up against a man out of positions

Exposed defending second half not as keep saying this level
    To say he played well imo no he didn't when the heat was on and conceded scores to a forward converted defender

Lorchan has great game with duggan, bar duggan goal chance but Lorchan was fine with imo considering two backs beside him struggled
    And duggan picked off scores
    Ellis helped him hugely when he came on

O Connor is tough and fine hurler and was fine ist half but clearly struggled second half and he'll get burned in croke park pace wise imo
    He was up against another half back converted forward

Walsh was okay but hardly great
    He did not play very well in fact when intensity was upped considerably by clare he was lacking imo
    Bulger had too much hurling for him and got threw point could have had more for poor wides

Murray trade mark point but he was poor had be taken off again as imo he's no where near this level
    Ryan had he's number and got two points

He's has enough chances now I'm sorry
    I though clare won midfield battle over all

Cian maccarthy frees fine got few from play won ball but slow winter hurling fine but again mobility at times showed up be poor
    Won't do summer hurling

Frees he was brilliant I'm sure he'll get plaudits but imo more to a game that frees

Lawton truly awful imo
    One point lad making claim not good enough
    Dayne lee as young lad just third game got point so did o Connor
    See my point lawton should be doing more but isn't

I'm sorry now lads and this may offend the Castlemartyr boys but I genuinely don't want to but on field play he was poor but why does he get game after game after game
    Cork hurling is not a charity
    He tries, fine club player but today was poor and not good enough
    Kelleher fine game in air, has potential, not scoring forward but has lot work too do improve hurling finese
    He's powerful and not afraid break tackle
    I'd like see him choose code
    I'f commits hurling could make it
    Moylan had good game, nice scores worked hard
    Luke the best news day with Cahalane
    I always said he had talent and huge fan but said last year before injury needed stop doing media interview, get ruthless executions back of goals and not points and become player could be

Injury terrible blow him but he's actually become better players as absenteeism made heart grow fonder
    He now realises he's down pecking order rather certain starter with bout five ahead him start up year but he's really imo played himself to start v kilkenny and he must start ahead of horgan

Today he could have had four goals
    He went for goals
    Great see cork this year becoming kilkenny forward animal going for goals
    He's ist goal was awesome brilliant goal
    He's second showed he's skill hurling
    He's confidence players start him, he needs games and tell him go for goals I won't blame lad missing them once goes for then he's still will mean he'll score more than he's misses
    He was luke old today, Luke that win awesome high ball v limerick under twenty one bellowed the net four years ago
    He had tough opponents In duggan but score two goals is no mean feat He got it tough from duggan but he gave as good as he got

Welcome back Luke, that's the Luke we want
    Now he should stay away media, forget bout them learn from before, one focus to get start in full forward line as tough competition and he needs full focus in that
    At last real real competition in full forward with Moylan cadogan Spillane, horgan, Luke. Cronin paudie etc

Darren McCarthy got early point but overall today he proved he was not good overall and he's proved what I believed all along not senior inter county forward
    All names I mentioned are better than him

Subs

Ellis made huge difference when he came on
    Lee showed lovely touch and work rate has make league panel if available lovely point
    Haughney be fair better than Murray, got point he does, but imo clare dominated second half that aera
    If cork think he's answer then start him v kilkenny, only one way to find out
    He does it that game then I'll say yes he deserves a chance
    Frahill o Connor good points as sub don't think he'll make it but same time jusr few games so I'd have him before lawton and cian mac any and every day week

Limerick in the final cork will win that if they want to

Good test physical wise for kilkenny game as limerick will play their strengths hit everything that moves and if it doesn't they will make it move, full gutsy bravado hurling and passion and pride and as said last week wanted limerick as good test for kilkenny physically wise
    Limerick won't test cork tactically though like kilkenny
    They with full strength team looking at limerick thread barely scraped past ucc
    Looking at that limerick team so predictable when rest are available easy know what they will start with in summer
    That game is likely to be mallow or kilmmallock next week
    Cork have game v Wexford on Saturday in cit hopefully limerick game played same day if in cork
    Cork should field two teams for that if it'd in limerick may have rearrange

Overall good to win, extra game, good test in seconds half as it showed up the players that can make it and won't imo but don't be fooled by clare ist half
    They were different animal in the second half lots wides and will change team for senior league game so cork will have to do the same
    But it'd good to beat them as time two year ago they beat us in almost any match we have now beaten them the last two
    Good day once lessons are learned and the players that are not up to it are dropped from the panel
    There's an all Ireland to be one so sorry sounds blunt but let's leave emotions out of it
    Tomorrow should be good test
    I'm hoping make it seems game is going ahead

Cork should win next week and set out to win as treat league seriously aim to win it
    Taper off after beating Waterford(this is not arrogance rather than imo logical belive cork are way ahead Waterford at present and Waterford are going back wards under the current set up) then in munster final isn't worth winning
    Start again from all Ireland quatre final
    Marked difference cork this year to last year same time which is great to see
    Real competition now for places
    I'll be talking lads who went match v limerick later so I'll post on cork lads with ucc today when I hear how they got on

• Advertisement

Good performances from Luke Cian Mac. Lorcan McLaughlin. Cahalane. Any Walsh started well couple of nice points got hooked easily a few times. Luke scored two good goals. Murray Lawton O Donoghue not up to Intercounty std. On another point heard Shane o Neill after walking from panel any one else hear this.

Agree with that pretty much

I'm glad that you mentioned lawton as I think most today realise that he'd way off
    He was a disaster today
    But in past just cause we have Castlemartyr club man here I was accused club bias just cause I critics his

As proven many times I praised many their player

But this Lad fine club player but as said before three years on panel and flatters decieve
    Not good enough blunt yes but true unfortunately

As for o Neill didn't hear that but if he walker I can't blame lad in made an utter fool poor fella last year at full back and he treated disgraceful imo

I have to laugh at people ratings here two week ago regards Murray and lawton saying they were goody

Today like I said clearly ist real test they would be found out

I hope haughney proves me wrong but I just don't see the bite in he's hurling

Mallow next Saturday night is talk v limerick as cork don't want cxcl game v Wexford st two in cit

It would give cork plenty time to look at one team v Wexford and then play limerick in evening
    Great see mallow getting another game

Talk is cadogan played well for ucc
    O she's meant had good game but took him off for game ucc next week earlier

Cormsc Murphy meant has huge battle with young cian lynch but still stood after it
    Lynch terrific player

Lehane meant played a game of cat and mouse with Wayne mac

Unbelievable that tj after Lehane destroy him munster final last year would make same mistake again

Once bitten twice shy imo doesn't apply to tj management
    I'm not surprised but you can't say that limerick thread as they don't like when you critical despite valid reason

One man who stood out was Shane o keoffe I'm told he won lot ball and scored two
    He was good winning ball v Waterford and clare under twenty one last year
    He's lad I give game v Wexford next week

Brian harynett didn't stand out I'm told
    He's not on cork panel this year should not been last year

Ucc by team started were strong but not strongest either imo

Cork if pick right team should have no problem v limerick next week
    Limerick are as predictable as night follow day yet so early in season

I say it last week but again today notice variations cork style lot more focus on running from midfield and creating space
    Mix in hurling and possessions
    Any one agree cork style bit different last year

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scarecrow 2

Thought Cork had a good win today. Clare looked poor up front for the entire match but as someone close by to me today said they had 7 or 8 starters from 2013.

Cork put in a ferocious shift in the first half and were backed by a slight breeze. I didn't think it was possible for them to replicate it for the 2nd half and I was right cause they let Clare back into the game particularly for the first 17 mins of 2nd half. But Corks lead was so big and Clares forwards so poor there was never likely to be a big comeback. Cork saw out the game well.

Pa Collins was excellent, I was surprised with Nash as Captain some weeks back because I genuinely thought Collins is every bit as good as him. He would be No 1 in any other county I have no doubt.

Damien Cahalane looks to be growing in every game at full back. looked assured today.

Thought Walsh midfield had a fine game and was huge improvement on 1st 2 games. Set up the first goal with good work and seemed to get on a load of ball. Caught some good ball too.

Luke o Farrell looked very lively and got some lovely scores, hit some erratic wides as always but a very good performance fro him.

You can read into it whatever way you like and say Clare didn't want to play Limerick and that they were training last night but you can only judge players and team on what is in front of them and that was a good victory for Cork today and the standard was much higher than Ul and CIT matches. But I don't believe that nonsense and Davy looked fairly frustrated in the first half and you could tell by his abuse to Colin Ryan on a few occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

Yeah. Would love to see Haughney put a bit more aggression in his game. Would make him a fine player. Good to see Dayne lee stand up to Clare half back when he came on A real prospect for the future.

Thought Cork had a good win today. Clare looked poor up front for the entire match but as someone close by to me today said they had 7 or 8 starters from 2013.

Cork put in a ferocious shift in the first half and were backed by a slight breeze. I didn't think it was possible for them to replicate it for the 2nd half and I was right cause they let Clare back into the game particularly for the first 17 mins of 2nd half. But Corks lead was so big and Clares forwards so poor there was never likely to be a big comeback. Cork saw out the game well.

Pa Collins was excellent, I was surprised with Nash as Captain some weeks back because I genuinely thought Collins is every bit as good as him. He would be No 1 in any other county I have no doubt.

Damien Cahalane looks to be growing in every game at full back. looked assured today.

Thought Walsh midfield had a fine game and was huge improvement on 1st 2 games. Set up the first goal with good work and seemed to get on a load of ball. Caught some good ball too.

Luke o Farrell looked very lively and got some lovely scores, hit some erratic wides as always but a very good performance fro him.

You can read into it whatever way you like and say Clare didn't want to play Limerick and that they were training last night but you can only judge players and team on what is in front of them and that was a good victory for Cork today and the standard was much higher than Ul and CIT matches. But I don't believe that nonsense and Davy looked fairly frustrated in the first half and you could tell by his abuse to Colin Ryan on a few occasions.

Fair points regards clare

My point is hard know with Davy whether he's playing games like two hf for example golden and dobnellab wont start there in June

It'd clear as day clare up second half intensity hugely and won it imo that half and load wides also

I agree Cahalane was brilliant but I said last night he'd be fine

Your right regards luke but when we judge luke we must realise that while played few club games hest only back cork senior set up so he's excuses wides today when got two three he was brilliant

To be fair if your going judge luke with erratic shooting you should judge lawton who went imo absent with out leave, cian mac who was okay but hardly stood put from play and likes Murray who were just poor

Walsh be fair improved last week but imo hurling is off but landers must see something in him but I remain be truly convinced

As for this talk that suggest Nash could be dropped seriously now let's not get carried away

Collins will be greatest among greats yea in time and I agree would start above Kelly, glesson, quaid imo but no way above Nash

Nash been brilliant to cork last two years despite facing agenda Nash motion
    He's been superb and couldn't fault him when he had no full back

He will be brilliant this year with no pressure penalties fiasco

I'd have no problem starting Collins but he's not at Nash level just yet

There is claims be better than Mccarthy but Mccarthy be fair dome nothing wrong either
    He proved today end this nonsense he's a forward for cork

Ucc beaten by Waterford kook like it

Ucc according tomas Mccarthy has nine changes from starring not named team

Ucc has no interest clearly this and with kissamne with cit don't want leave it to chance

Some subs being used ucc are not even strongest panel

Ucc unlike cork have big game three days later so they no interest in game

Cork no excuse but in fact needed extra game

But wait cuutybhert loyal fan club will cling this Waterford win and blow them up just to cover up cuutybhert failing last week

Well done tom mcglinchey cork man
    I wanted Waterford win as said last week glad they did good for football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

I agree with Scarecrow about Andy Walsh and IMHO he will be a huge player for Cork this year. Sorry bout that TTM as I think the rest of you report is more or less spot on apart from young Peter Kelliher. I know he dropped the very 1st puck out which Collins landed on top of him and this probably dented his confidence. He's big and strong but Cork senior hurler he is not and unlikely to get to that level either. If he's too big then Lee is too small and light for senior hurling but today was the day to blood him so well done JBM. His joshling with No7 Cleary was a bit like David and Goliah but fair play to him for not standing back. He took his point nicely and never stopped looking for the ball.
    How Conor O Sullivan wasn't the 1st name on Cork's team sheet last year mystifies me. The man is simply imperious in tight situations. Young Sean O Donoghue will have learned a bit about corner back play today if he had his eyes open. He will need to improve a good bit but might just do that.
    Like others here I was impressed with Cahalane at the back and Luke up front so we may well trouble the big boys this year when all our other top players start.
    The only negative on an otherwise nice day for Cork hurling was the time keeping. There is NO EXCUSE for the home team to be 5 minutes late for the throw in. They were down in another pitch warming up for half an hour so it wasn't as if they needed limbering up. NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

wackokid wrote: »
    I agree with Scarecrow about Andy Walsh and IMHO he will be a huge player for Cork this year. Sorry bout that TTM as I think the rest of you report is more or less spot on apart from young Peter Kelliher. I know he dropped the very 1st puck out which Collins landed on top of him and this probably dented his confidence. He's big and strong but Cork senior hurler he is not and unlikely to get to that level either. If he's too big then Lee is too small and light for senior hurling but today was the day to blood him so well done JBM. His joshling with No7 Cleary was a bit like David and Goliah but fair play to him for not standing back. He took his point nicely and never stopped looking for the ball.
    How Conor O Sullivan wasn't the 1st name on Cork's team sheet last year mystifies me. The man is simply imperious in tight situations. Young Sean O Donoghue will have learned a bit about corner back play today if he had his eyes open. He will need to improve a good bit but might just do that.
    Like others here I was impressed with Cahalane at the back and Luke up front so we may well trouble the big boys this year when all our other top players start.
    The only negative on an otherwise nice day for Cork hurling was the time keeping. There is NO EXCUSE for the home team to be 5 minutes late for the throw in. They were down in another pitch warming up for half an hour so it wasn't as if they needed limbering up. NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
    Walsh be fair landers must see something in him

He's game out I'll give him that and loves physically contact

Maybe can improve under league
    Id huge doubts over kelleher from start hurling wise
    He'll need stick hurling if he's going make it

Can win ball but hurling is miles off and left side is non existent

What you make lawton wacko and Mccarthy??

Conor Sullivan is awesome but mcdonmell or o Neill if still there just as good
    Burke and Murphy are good also
    Will Kearney not near this level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

wackokid wrote: »

Totally disagree on Peter Kelleher. The guy won a mountain of possession from the start. Beggars belief that he was subbed before Brian Lawton who couldn't win any ball. Kelleher needs to work on his pace and looks to me like a guy who needs as much hurling exposure as possible but has huge potential as a "workhorse" type half forward that Cork needs who won't wilt physically like a lot of the other forwards when the going gets tough.
    Andy Walsh ,midfield,was excellent and probably will be tried there during the league.

Totally disagree on Peter Kelleher. The guy won a mountain of possession from the start. Beggars belief that he was subbed before Brian Lawton who couldn't win any ball. Kelleher needs to work on his pace and looks to me like a guy who needs as much hurling exposure as possible but has huge potential as a "workhorse" type half forward that Cork needs who won't wilt physically like a lot of the other forwards when the going gets tough.
    Andy Walsh ,midfield,was excellent and probably will be tried there during the league.
    I'd agree

Why is lawton getting game after game after game??

A cat has only nine lives
    If lawton makes league panel it's a joke
    Be interesting see john horgan take Monday echo

He's loyal club man lawton fair enough no problem
    He must though not let that play when he judges he's performance
    We can have none of this talk he tried hard he didn't get breaks he up against good opponent

A spade must be called a spade
    It'd not just myself see he's poor two posters here have agreed

I'd say willie he won too balls of that
    I actually had one stage to recheck he actually started as he was no where to be seen imo

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Same as yourself on those two TTM. but today was no exam day. No intensity from Clare apart from start of 2nd half so we can't read too much into the overall performance.
    I really felt Andy Walsh from Killeagh will give a headache to anybody he meets. He has the ability to snap a ball quail high even on the back foot and he came out of tight spots today time and time again with the ball in his hand. Yes, he was hooked a few times as you ( I think) pointed out but he's an eager beaver who can hurl too. Himself and Dan Kearney could well fill 8 and 9 jerseys in July.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement