Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

I'd agree

Why is lawton getting game after game after game??

A cat has only nine lives
    If lawton makes league panel it's a joke
    Be interesting see john horgan take Monday echo

He's loyal club man lawton fair enough no problem
    He must though not let that play when he judges he's performance
    We can have none of this talk he tried hard he didn't get breaks he up against good opponent

A spade must be called a spade
    It'd not just myself see he's poor two posters here have agreed

I'd say willie he won too balls of that
    I actually had one stage to recheck he actually started as he was no where to be seen imo
    John Horgan was touting Barry Lawton in last week's Echo for his Waterford Crystal performances for UCC. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

John Horgan was touting Barry Lawton in last week's Echo for his Waterford Crystal performances for UCC. :D

Your having a laugh seriously??????
    Are you winding me up wille

Sweet divine jesus can these guys just give reader true value please and leave their club emotion out of it
    It's ruling football with Davis cuutybhert pickin their own club members

Lawton will be lucky start ucc
    He didn't even start today

I remember cork winning intermediate game this year and coverage echo was all about Barry Lawton as a sub

Must been mentioned at least four times serieskuly

Colm Barry has outstanding game truly outstanding game yet was even mentioned by name just half back line played well

The lawton fine club men but there no more that and weren't exactly great v mondligo when the team were destroyed I'm the munster final absolutely destroyed

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

Good workout today. Mgmt learned a lot i'd say. Collins very good in goal. Better shot stopper than Nash in my view. Pin point puck outs and clearances. Very good outing for Conor O'Sullivan. Cahalane really beginning to look the part. Had serious doubts about him last year. Impressive the few times I've seen him this year. Thought Brian O'Sullivan showed enough today to get an opportunity during the league. Lorcan hurled the world of ball but was in trouble during Clare's purple patch in second half when bobby duggan ran riot for 15/20 mins - worrying. Walsh in midfield - not the finished article but that was a very impressive performance today. We all know cian mcs limitations but was very good today. Took his scores well, won a lot of dirty ball in air/on ground, scored his own and others frees. Kelleher definitely has something to offer in the future if he concentrates on hurling and gets good coaching. Luke had a great outing even allowing for some poor decision making and wrong shot options. Cant argue with 2 3 from play. His first goal was a routine finish for a player of his ability. His second was a touch of class. Showed a real forwards instincts to score that one. Steven Moylan two nice first half points but was AWOL for large parts of second half. Needs to do more. Of the starting 15 I haven't mentioned, well on today's performances probably not ready yet for this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Good workout today. Mgmt learned a lot i'd say. Collins very good in goal. Better shot stopper than Nash in my view. Pin point puck outs and clearances. Very good outing for Conor O'Sullivan. Cahalane really beginning to look the part. Had serious doubts about him last year. Impressive the few times I've seen him this year. Thought Brian O'Sullivan showed enough today to get an opportunity during the league. Lorcan hurled the world of ball but was in trouble during Clare's purple patch in second half when bobby duggan ran riot for 15/20 mins - worrying. Walsh in midfield - not the finished article but that was a very impressive performance today. We all know cian mcs limitations but was very good today. Took his scores well, won a lot of dirty ball in air/on ground, scored his own and others frees. Kelleher definitely has something to offer in the future if he concentrates on hurling and gets good coaching. Luke had a great outing even allowing for some poor decision making and wrong shot options. Cant argue with 2 3 from play. His first goal was a routine finish for a player of his ability. His second was a touch of class. Showed a real forwards instincts to score that one. Steven Moylan two nice first half points but was AWOL for large parts of second half. Needs to do more. Of the starting 15 I haven't mentioned, well on today's performances probably not ready yet for this level.

I was going to post my thoughts on the game but this sums them up pretty perfectly! Good to see fringe players putting their hands up, especially against decent level opposition (Walsh v Bugler).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

Cork can take alot of positives today going into the league. Their touch, striking and movement looks good for this time of the year and should hit the ground running well against KK. One positive ye can take too is the impressive score that was hit, 2-21, against quite a defensively organised Clare team. Some good performances from players I wouldn't be overly familiar with, O'Donoghue and Walsh could be worth a game in the league.

Wrt Clare, its always hard to judge. In Davy, we probably have the most polarizing figure in hurling! You'd be worried that we are following previous trends where not enough skill work is being done in Spring, Davy's teams are notoriously lackluster in the first round of the championship.

Could you name those lads please you think are not up to it??

I think lorchan got taken for four points but truly had duggan in he's pocket ist half but two wing men have given him no support at all at all

Now you may land a Boeing on two engines rarely you land on one

Lorchan was that Boeing today facing huge turbulence

No worries going forward once he's support and not putting fires out all over field

Moylan worked hard all day long

You say cian mac has limiations but your still have him there

This is elite senior hurling
    He can't improve aera he's weak on so sorry now be blunt but cork can't carry any baggage
    It's not Ryanair were team trying win all Ireland

Cahalane I never had any fears from day one
    People must remember he was played v tipp half back last year
    Nash shot stopping is imperious I think no way will Collins be better for now
    We're trying in some people eyes solve problems that don't exist

As for luke I'm amazed cherry picking here the lad done everything asked of yet he's critide

You don't mention others by name just say not good enough
    Imo if people going critics some players by name with flaws performance then name all players and judge according be fair and equal

If Brian cody rating he's team he rates them all

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

Wouldn't it be great if Cian Mac could put continuously good performances like today. Would be a great asset and a good free taker instead of carrying Hoggy on a team for the sake of his frees.

letowski wrote: »
    Cork can take alot of positives today going into the league. Their touch, striking and movement looks good for this time of the year and should hit the ground running well against KK. One positive ye can take too is the impressive score that was hit, 2-21, against quite a defensively organised Clare team. Some good performances from players I wouldn't be overly familiar with, O'Donoghue and Walsh could be worth a game in the league.

Wrt Clare, its always hard to judge. In Davy, we probably have the most polarizing figure in hurling! You'd be worried that we are following previous trends where not enough skill work is being done in Spring, Davy's teams are notoriously lackluster in the first round of the championship.
    Am I right in saying golden and donellan not natural half forward but half backs by trade??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

o connor from his past few games can be an asset for cork imo

he can win ball and is prepared to scrap in a tight game, he can also score and has a physical presence,

imo he has done enough to make the panel for summer, would be a useful fella to bring on in a close munster champ matc,

cian mac and lawton arent up to this level, cork need a solid set of forwards,
    cian mac is too patchy, and lawton simply hasnt the hurling,

andy walsh gives his all but again prob isnt up to senior inter county,

great to see lukeF back, serious talent shown under age, can be still a great success for cork,

just my views, dont mean to down any player, promising results tho

Am I right in saying golden and donellan not natural half forward but half backs by trade??

Donnellan is definitely a half back imo. It's hard though, I think his old position at wing back is his best, where he played many a good game for Clare there. He hasn't actually played there I would say in about 4 years, amazingly.

Golden is an out and out midfielder. He looked the part underage and is very good with the Bridge, but falls short at this level. He has this bad habit of always wanting to put the ball onto the hurl and therefore struggles at inter-county pace. Wouldn't be the first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

I think O'Connor could be quite like his club mate Eoin Keane in that they're good hurlers and well able to battle but if it came to playing on a wide pitch in Intercounty championship they just wouldn't have the pace.

Cian Mc is the same story unfortunately. Great talent but can't get around the park at this level.

Walsh will have a hard time getting past other people in his position on the panel IMO. The likes of O'Shea, Haughney and even Cooper can fill the half forward/midfield places on the panel.

Wouldn't it be great if Cian Mac could put continuously good performances like today. Would be a great asset and a good free taker instead of carrying Hoggy on a team for the sake of his frees.

Cian always does this in challenge matches though I'm winter hurling
    He's everything bar mobility summer hurling
    It's a shame yes as I'm huge fan cian he's great attributes and attitudes but he won't do in summer

So needs be dropped

We drop horgan for frees were carry cian for frees

We don't need either frees

Lehane can take them and Nash long ones or Walsh
    The day you carry player for free taking is day you need reassess imo talent available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Great win in absolutely gives us another game next week and that's three games left now Wexford, ballyhale tomorrow and now this final and I'm extremely happy with that as it lovely lead up to the league opener

Cork were good be fair but I can't believe clare strong team bar two half backs played as forward are that bad in the ist half so imo I'd not get carrid away and I think when cork play Clare league be different
    With Davy hard know what he's playing at, would not suppose me if clare training last night, they train Friday nights trainings so you just don't know was there shadow boxing as likely limerick always going beat ucc and imo he doesn't want play limerick before championship
    I said I though cork would have make changes ist half win, they didn't game was well over half time
    Clare showed imo though huge increase intensity second half and Davy clearly has harsh words them
    Soon clare upped intensity some cork lads struggled
    Clare were down by twelve half time
    But second half won the half and showed up lot cork players

Looseness first half out clare made some cork lads look good

The key today is imo judge each player on quality opponents he faced and judge first half and second separately
    Cork won ist half handy clare had no intensity
    Clare won second half eleven to eight and we're better team In that half so today we got good indication who up to senior
    They imo dominated possession in that half

Collins super game, composed great see him roaring at Cahalane one stage ti pull back closer goal after twenty minutes in Cahalane was going too far out from goal
    Some puck out
    Mccarthy I'd sub keeper but id have no problem none at all have him sub or even start munster champions game if we had injuries
    Look at he save from duggan, awesome outstanding save he is just the real deal
    Look at saves minor and under twenty one v Waterford he was outstanding in saves
    This Lad has been awesome so good and will be so good I'd actually have him on panel and cork has three goalies before panel I'd have him league
    This Lad is going be among greatest greatest cork goalie along other greats
    I'm lost for words for him
    What a player
    Oh my god he's awesome

Conor Sullivan had great game on he's man he was fine
    Held tots well

Cork have corner backs they don't need likes will Kearney on panel

Cahalane was brilliant on cunningham, passed ist test well but he's more prove but today done well
    It's relief and tomorrow play Joyce v ballyhale as cork must have cover in full back
    O donoughge done very well young minor showed well all competition but cork have others ahead corner back but id defo watch him future but leave him under twenty football for spring no need have him league panel imo
    I think he held he's man from play free

Sullivan got point ist half looked good as clare were poor , golden believe is half back that played half forward
    So he was up against a man out of positions

Exposed defending second half not as keep saying this level
    To say he played well imo no he didn't when the heat was on and conceded scores to a forward converted defender

Lorchan has great game with duggan, bar duggan goal chance but Lorchan was fine with imo considering two backs beside him struggled
    And duggan picked off scores
    Ellis helped him hugely when he came on

O Connor is tough and fine hurler and was fine ist half but clearly struggled second half and he'll get burned in croke park pace wise imo
    He was up against another half back converted forward

Walsh was okay but hardly great
    He did not play very well in fact when intensity was upped considerably by clare he was lacking imo
    Bulger had too much hurling for him and got threw point could have had more for poor wides

Murray trade mark point but he was poor had be taken off again as imo he's no where near this level
    Ryan had he's number and got two points

He's has enough chances now I'm sorry
    I though clare won midfield battle over all

Cian maccarthy frees fine got few from play won ball but slow winter hurling fine but again mobility at times showed up be poor
    Won't do summer hurling

Frees he was brilliant I'm sure he'll get plaudits but imo more to a game that frees

Lawton truly awful imo
    One point lad making claim not good enough
    Dayne lee as young lad just third game got point so did o Connor
    See my point lawton should be doing more but isn't

I'm sorry now lads and this may offend the Castlemartyr boys but I genuinely don't want to but on field play he was poor but why does he get game after game after game
    Cork hurling is not a charity
    He tries, fine club player but today was poor and not good enough
    Kelleher fine game in air, has potential, not scoring forward but has lot work too do improve hurling finese
    He's powerful and not afraid break tackle
    I'd like see him choose code
    I'f commits hurling could make it
    Moylan had good game, nice scores worked hard
    Luke the best news day with Cahalane
    I always said he had talent and huge fan but said last year before injury needed stop doing media interview, get ruthless executions back of goals and not points and become player could be

Injury terrible blow him but he's actually become better players as absenteeism made heart grow fonder
    He now realises he's down pecking order rather certain starter with bout five ahead him start up year but he's really imo played himself to start v kilkenny and he must start ahead of horgan

Today he could have had four goals
    He went for goals
    Great see cork this year becoming kilkenny forward animal going for goals
    He's ist goal was awesome brilliant goal
    He's second showed he's skill hurling
    He's confidence players start him, he needs games and tell him go for goals I won't blame lad missing them once goes for then he's still will mean he'll score more than he's misses
    He was luke old today, Luke that win awesome high ball v limerick under twenty one bellowed the net four years ago
    He had tough opponents In duggan but score two goals is no mean feat He got it tough from duggan but he gave as good as he got

Welcome back Luke, that's the Luke we want
    Now he should stay away media, forget bout them learn from before, one focus to get start in full forward line as tough competition and he needs full focus in that
    At last real real competition in full forward with Moylan cadogan Spillane, horgan, Luke. Cronin paudie etc

Darren McCarthy got early point but overall today he proved he was not good overall and he's proved what I believed all along not senior inter county forward
    All names I mentioned are better than him

Subs

Ellis made huge difference when he came on
    Lee showed lovely touch and work rate has make league panel if available lovely point
    Haughney be fair better than Murray, got point he does, but imo clare dominated second half that aera
    If cork think he's answer then start him v kilkenny, only one way to find out
    He does it that game then I'll say yes he deserves a chance
    Frahill o Connor good points as sub don't think he'll make it but same time jusr few games so I'd have him before lawton and cian mac any and every day week

Limerick in the final cork will win that if they want to

Good test physical wise for kilkenny game as limerick will play their strengths hit everything that moves and if it doesn't they will make it move, full gutsy bravado hurling and passion and pride and as said last week wanted limerick as good test for kilkenny physically wise
    Limerick won't test cork tactically though like kilkenny
    They with full strength team looking at limerick thread barely scraped past ucc
    Looking at that limerick team so predictable when rest are available easy know what they will start with in summer
    That game is likely to be mallow or kilmmallock next week
    Cork have game v Wexford on Saturday in cit hopefully limerick game played same day if in cork
    Cork should field two teams for that if it'd in limerick may have rearrange

Overall good to win, extra game, good test in seconds half as it showed up the players that can make it and won't imo but don't be fooled by clare ist half
    They were different animal in the second half lots wides and will change team for senior league game so cork will have to do the same
    But it'd good to beat them as time two year ago they beat us in almost any match we have now beaten them the last two
    Good day once lessons are learned and the players that are not up to it are dropped from the panel
    There's an all Ireland to be one so sorry sounds blunt but let's leave emotions out of it
    Tomorrow should be good test
    I'm hoping make it seems game is going ahead

Cork should win next week and set out to win as treat league seriously aim to win it
    Taper off after beating Waterford(this is not arrogance rather than imo logical belive cork are way ahead Waterford at present and Waterford are going back wards under the current set up) then in munster final isn't worth winning
    Start again from all Ireland quatre final
    Marked difference cork this year to last year same time which is great to see
    Real competition now for places
    I'll be talking lads who went match v limerick later so I'll post on cork lads with ucc today when I hear how they got on

Couldn't make the game but fair play man, I know ug given an honest report. Well done.

Donnellan is definitely a half back imo. It's hard though, I think his old position at wing back is his best, where he played many a good game for Clare there. He hasn't actually played there I would say in about 4 years, amazingly.

Golden is an out and out midfielder. He looked the part underage and is very good with the Bridge, but falls short at this level. He has this bad habit of always wanting to put the ball onto the hurl and therefore struggles at inter-county pace. Wouldn't be the first.
    See that my worries cork half back line were up against two converted wing backs and struggled at times

See that my worries cork half back line were up against two converted wing backs and struggled at times

True but Joyce and McLoughlin are very good starters anyway. They are balanced well then with Ellis in the center. I wouldn't expect this line to be a weak line come championship. Having options is important fair enough.

Smith614 wrote: »
    Couldn't make the game but fair play man, I know ug given an honest report. Well done.

What you make effin new management this year
    Will they be strong in limerick
    Do you think limerick be strong next week

True but Joyce and McLoughlin are very good starters anyway. They are balanced well then with Ellis in the center. I wouldn't expect this line to be a weak line come championship. Having options is important fair enough.

Huge competition there half back

Cormsc Murphy
    Colm Barry
    Ellis
    Joyce
    Lorchan
    Mcdonmell if needed
    I agree figsy o Connor like Keane terrific player bar pace
    My only worry croke park pace he'd be in trouble

But he be fine next week
    He's worth panel place league but dry day in thurles I'd like see him then big pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

To quote the late Louis Brandeis "Behind every argument is someone's ignorance".

To quote the late Samuel Johnson (rip)
    "
    Knowledge is of two kinds.
    We know of a subject ourselves our where to find information on it "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

To quote 2 people from this board thread :D
    To quote the late Louis Brandeis "Behind every argument is someone's ignorance".
    To quote the late Samuel Johnson (rip)
    "
    Knowledge is of two kinds.
    We know of a subject ourselves our where to find information on it "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

O Donoghue not up to Intercounty std.

...he is just out of Minor and being played out of position, give the lad a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

Some good feedback on the Cork hurling game yesterday lads so hard for me to say much more.
    Cahalane showed yesterday what he hoped for from him, sticking to his man, winning the 50-50 ball.
    O'Donoghue again looked at bit green in possession and missed a few balls but he is tough and didn't give his man much.
    Brian O'Sullivan and Glen O'Connor seemed to put in another good performance each but Glen did run out of steam at the end and O'Sullivan got a good point.
    Andy Walsh, again impressed me. It is great that JBM is giving these lads time to settle in and improve and Andy is clearly improving with every game. He is a workhorse. Decision making let him down a couple of times but that can be worked on. Caught a great ball too and swept up a lot of ball.
    Murray shows glimpses like his point but not good enough really.
    Peter Kelliher improved his catching as game went on as he seemed to be dropping a lot of high ball. Not the fastest but savage strong.
    Lawton as mentioned before didn't seem up to it yesterday.
    Cian McCarthy did very well, caught high ball and scored good points. Good hard-working attitude but my worry is will he be able to push himself to Championship level.
    Luke O'Farrell was very good. Striking let him down at times. But he took goals well. Good performance with still a lot to improve on.
    Moylan is a funny player. He comes in and out of games. You mightn't see him for a while but then might up with a couple of scores. I suppose it depends on the supply of ball too.
    I noticed the same with Darren McCarthy, good first point but the supply and quality of ball into him was poor at times. High looping balls didn't suit him. Shows great potential but still quite light.
    Dayne Lee and Alan Frahill O Connor good good points and it is good to see Ellis back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭zetecescort

final v Limerick provisionally fixed for next Saturday in Mallow at 7

Cork play ballyhale wit in hour
    Ballyhale will have strong team bar two regulars
    Joyce meant be line start full back if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Horse84

• Advertisement

What you make effin new management this year
    Will they be strong in limerick
    Do you think limerick be strong next week

Effin will always struggle , they don't have the numbers. It's all about retaining their senior status. Fergus Ryan will do a good job but doesn't have the material.
    My nephew has trained under Fergus and seems to rate him highly. Well organised and goes back to basics.
    Limerick wil play as strong as possible team In final. They are down a lot of players tho because of colleges commitments and kilmallocks AllIreland club involvement. It will be decent work out but JBM might stick to trying out players. Would like to see him pick a strong team especially as big KK test will be only 2 weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pluszap

Cork beat Ballyhale in a competitive game.A point up at ht against the wind and pushed on in the second half.Best for Cork were Cahalane(scored a brilliant point in the

1st half), Cronin,Harnedy and Horgan.Horgan especially looking razor sharp.Paudie Sull and Harnedy with the goals.Ballyhale were missing cha and TJ Reid though

shefflin gave Ellis problems especially in the first half.Good to see Conor Lehane get his first run out.Team Nash Kearney Joyce Barry Walsh Ellis Cahalane Cronin

Kearney Harnedy Cooper Lee D McCarthy P.Sull Hoggie Subs Lehane,McLoughlin,Conor Sull ,Cian Mac, Moylan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭randd1

pluszap wrote: »
    Cork beat Ballyhale in a competitive game.A point up at ht against the wind and pushed on in the second half.Best for Cork were Cahalane(scored a brilliant point in the

1st half), Cronin,Harnedy and Horgan.Horgan especially looking razor sharp.Paudie Sull and Harnedy with the goals.Ballyhale were missing cha and TJ Reid though

shefflin gave Ellis problems especially in the first half.Good to see Conor Lehane get his first run out.Team Nash Kearney Joyce Barry Walsh Ellis Cahalane Cronin

Kearney Harnedy Cooper Lee D McCarthy P.Sull Hoggie Subs Lehane,McLoughlin,Conor Sull ,Cian Mac, Moylan
    Any chance you know the final score? Can't find it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Orizio wrote: »
    ...he is just out of Minor and being played out of position, give the lad a chance.

agree time on his side - got caught a few times yest but continued to work hard and has potential

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Corkmansam2

Rochestown seriously have potential to win the quadruple. They have strong forwards with Kingston,Cormack and Powter posing a serious threat. Daniel Meaney is now fit to play. The mid-field duo of O Brien and O Sullivan works very well. The backs are extremely solid with David Griffin and John Cashman driving them on. On top of that Rochestown have a decent bench to pick from! They have the likes of Matthew McCauliffe for the forwards (a young lad from douglas I think, shows good potential) and for the backs they have Ryan Cantwell ( Blackrock Minor, apparently was on the cork 17 panel last year, seen him play a couple of times and is a fantastic player). There's many other young talents on the bench as well so choice is no problem for the Lee side school. On the other hand Ard Scoil have the licks of Ronan Lynch and Casey , who are Limerick intercounty stars , and will trouble Rochestown without a doubt. They are a very skilful side and have very established and talented plays no doubt. But, I might be bias here being a cork man, I think Rochestown will win this game, not because of there hurling ability alone but the combination of there talent and there incredible work rate! They have an amazing work ethic and ,although they do have strong individuals, they play collectively and as a unit while Arsd Scoil are more dependent on there star players. Verdict: Rochestown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

On another point heard Shane o Neill after walking from panel any one else hear this.

Not true, thankfully. Will be back soon.

Rochestown V Asr is in Charleville Saturday. Harty cup semi final.

In relation to cuthbhert interview it's same old same old exclusive to southern star so imo won't be any ruthless honest realistic assessment from imo normally good paper

Huge huge worry is cuthbhert said in it he's impresses by some new lads in panel

Let's have kook at these

Dewmond been poor imo
    Hodnet bring okay at best
    Cussen hasn't been great
    Mac eoin yes impresses

Duriant been poor
    Hazel been poor
    Exceptional is donoughge but played out position yet cuthbhert feels young lads sone well
    So when league panel is announced imo some these guys be there so nothing has been learned from the mcgrsth cups

He acknowledged fans upset but doesn't imo connect with them
    It's like I dint need them
    He still failed apologies after kerry defeat
    He's imo in management solely an ego lack humble quality of eammon Ryan or Brian cody admit mistakes were made

Again look at munster fall out this week
    Neil Francis, Donal lenhihan, ronan o gara,quinny all called spade spade said problems munster have

O gara said didn't like critide them but same time munster would rather that feel sorry for them
    Roy Curtis didn't hold back and questioned goes foley for email scandal and jj leaving and selection games and called some things brutal

Look at poor man management this year cork players leaving yet no one cork questions it
    No one
    Cork football job best job in sport results are never questioned

Humprey kelleher had good piece in paper that pundits some are lazy need re amylase their judge ment and some yes too harsh but others fail call things as they are
    Imo cork are classic example

Cork hurling didn't make game y esterday but that was good team and I posted during week lads I wanted see play and most them did

Key note is Joyce starting full back
    I posted yesterday he would start full back
    I was told that Saturday by fella he'd start full back
    Imo hugely significant and great sign that full back being taken seriously
    I'm Cahalane played half back but didn't play him threw when could have but they obviously want cover for the position
    Normally I'd be against Cahalane at half but yesterday was fine in giving Joyce games
    I'm told he was soild under high ball done well

Harnedy and copper all played well as I'm told aidan Walsh at half back and pa cronin
    Cork are completely way ahead of where we're this time last year and I'm very confident as told that physical game v ballyhale but cork broke tackles well in most games I saw this year
    Landers bring power game to cork but also ruthless intent for goals
    Cork must have over fifteen goals in five games this year so far
    There's huge statement intent in change cork mindset going for goals
    They will beat limerick if want to and tj has played cork three times as manager and lost

Morrissey terrific player hope he starts v Cahalane as good test for Cahalane
    I'd say niell moran will start for limerick so who ever marks him should be dominating him as if they struggled with him they have no chance v bubbles or tj Reid for example

Barry getting run games good to see
    Cork have huge competition for leauge and that's great
    Game is next Saturday
    Pity that ard scoil rivhestowm didn't get game before that in mallow and would be ideal curtain raiser imo as both cork limerick ties
    It's dilemma next week as cork play Wexford so tough choose in challenge game

Dublin beat kildare as management are getting ready for Sunday
    We want have wait Sunday know if cork will win we will know when cork team picked Thursday night probably

Read brilliant piece on ger cunningham I'n Sunday independent yesterday about improvements he's brought in already
    I posted here saw them v Waterford and clear see improvement in touch
    See cunningham in year one hit ground running
    Cuthbhert and co are in year two
    Foley is year one on he's own yet he still gets critide
    He takes it as expected though
    He made very good point yesterday in management and players are in cocoon to an extent they can distance themselves from critics as they create their own kind world but said felt fans as they can't as every day life's they suffer banter with loosing and they have it tough
    Imo he made connection with them
    Our football management is view fans can critise fair enough and if they don't stick team okay but we'll go on without them
    He said day one he'd bring crowds cork football

I'm amazed that some can't see huge difficulties cork have in the league

Effin will always struggle , they don't have the numbers. It's all about retaining their senior status. Fergus Ryan will do a good job but doesn't have the material.
    My nephew has trained under Fergus and seems to rate him highly. Well organised and goes back to basics.
    Limerick wil play as strong as possible team In final. They are down a lot of players tho because of colleges commitments and kilmallocks AllIreland club involvement. It will be decent work out but JBM might stick to trying out players. Would like to see him pick a strong team especially as big KK test will be only 2 weeks away.
    I think it will be same team along lines for this as before should win it

Likes Spillane cadogan Barry Walsh cooper Kearney Ellis Cahalane Sullivan mcdonmell if fit paudie I'd expect play v Wexford

Cork team challenge Saturday v Wexford be strong imo than team lines out v Wexford but limerick missing load starters so cork should have enough win

It's nice win it in given cork new players game time but good lead up league
    These are last two games for audition for places this weekend
    So I expect tough intense week training

Next week then be tapered off slightly for kilkenny game
    League panel be great indication if landers brought in ruthless executions drop some players

Great signs so far in goals cork getting, full back being a priority and the power athletic hurling player he is going for
    Very optimistic now last year this time I wasn't at all
    By all accounts cork taking league seriously this year and want win ist three games all work geared for that
    Management overall done well so far especially in picking challenge games like ballyhale game was great one line up as was Wexford and limerick

Not only team with tough call this week

Cork minor this week are finalising the panel of thirty two or so apparently

There will be some tough calls with very good players loosing out I'n imo competition so strong particularly at half back and the forwards

Players don't make it I'm sure will still be on radar if lass get injured etc

April coming soon now

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hurleratheart

Rochestown V Asr is in Charleville Saturday. Harty cup semi final.

Is that confirmed smith ?, i been keeping an eye out but hadn't seen it. Have you a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hurleratheart

Rochestown seriously have potential to win the quadruple. They have strong forwards with Kingston,Cormack and Powter posing a serious threat. Daniel Meaney is now fit to play. The mid-field duo of O Brien and O Sullivan works very well. The backs are extremely solid with David Griffin and John Cashman driving them on. On top of that Rochestown have a decent bench to pick from! They have the likes of Matthew McCauliffe for the forwards (a young lad from douglas I think, shows good potential) and for the backs they have Ryan Cantwell ( Blackrock Minor, apparently was on the cork 17 panel last year, seen him play a couple of times and is a fantastic player). There's many other young talents on the bench as well so choice is no problem for the Lee side school. On the other hand Ard Scoil have the licks of Ronan Lynch and Casey , who are Limerick intercounty stars , and will trouble Rochestown without a doubt. They are a very skilful side and have very established and talented plays no doubt. But, I might be bias here being a cork man, I think Rochestown will win this game, not because of there hurling ability alone but the combination of there talent and there incredible work rate! They have an amazing work ethic and ,although they do have strong individuals, they play collectively and as a unit while Arsd Scoil are more dependent on there star players. Verdict: Rochestown

can't see them doing them all unfortunatly - won't get over Killarney in football i think

If concentrating on one or the other id give them a good shot at it, but don't think they'll do it all but id love to be wron, i think Simcox maybe and won't fear Chriost Ri

Ard Scoil a huge ask on sat and if they get it right on the day they will win, they need a bit of luck to

looking forward to it, they seem a great bunch of lads, your spot on about work rate and team spirit

Cork v limerick Saturday key imo is cork need to have clear indication of for some it's the game for them so you put any lad your unsure bout on limerick best opponent as waste time putting lad on a guy that's a average and he looking good yet come the league better opponents he plays against he's exposed
    No fan wants see a cork lad exposed in such circumstances so don't put lads in have no chance

For example Darren McCarthy bar cit game has been just okay didn't do much v clare and morey a top corner back had him in he's pocket
    Mccarthy is not as good as others
    This imo was always clear as day yet some got carried away club performance without looking true value
    So Mccarthy should be put on hickey or Condon
    Two good tight corner back who won't give any player freedom so test him this game

Luke needs start v riche maccarthy as riche is one finest full backs game and will hit luke fair but hard
    Luke done everything asked for him imo but good test for tough in he's hurling
    Imo he'll be different challenge for riche and elusive players can cause riche problem so cork deliveries ball to forward this year been excellent will be crucial so give him fast ball and he'll be fine
    Luke I think will be fine so give him the game as he'll be fine for kilkenny game then
    I'd give luke a full game
    Give paudie a half game v Wexford half here

Walsh is good corner back but hickey Condon in my opinion better
    I'd have pa cronin in this line cork will need a target man along the lines so I'd give him game time, and have him rotating

Limerck half back line
    Wayne mac, Donal o grady and probably Morrissey but id hope that Condon starts if not corner back

I want limerick to be full strength as much as they can be
    I'd not put Lee on Wayne mcnamara
    Now Wayne is physical player and strong but I wouldn't be too worried but it's unfair put lee who has been said here is needed do bulk up but that's understandable and imo just out minor they need give him time to develop as he has touch pace and hurling
    Lee if starts has be on Condon or Morrissey less physical players
    Id be putting kelleher on Wayne mac

Kelleher is a powerhouse and strong and powerful and seen as ball winner well put him on mac as mac lack pace and speed but kelleher has man brilliant in air so good test
    I see no benefit in starting cian Mccarthy v Donal o grady as grady legs are gone so cian will win ball break even but its worth nothing this game in o grady fine hurler won't expose Mccarthy lack mobility so Mccarthy will look like he done okay but truth be told he be exposed in thurles or croke park

I'd hope browne starts midfield with king
    Terrific player browne is
    Start haughney put him on browne and Walsh on king
    Walsh is physically good but king sharper hurling so be good test see has Walsh improved again

Haughney needs a physical test to test he's stomach for battle and browne will give him that
    Limerick always be fair will give any team bravado and intensity and fire and fury
    That's a given.

Limerick half forward line could be niall moran, James Ryan and cian lynch
    I'd like lynch on glen o Connor and I think lynch will cause him problems for pace but Glenn tough hurling be fine but doubts only one I have as o Connor lack pace so I'd like him mark lynch
    Lynch fast and strong goof test for him
    He has everything bar pace so test him v fast opponents In this game
    Niall moran could start and if Sullivan on him people must realise niall moran was never great and passed what was he's best so I wouldn't be carried away with Sullivan if holds moran
    Minimum standards is moran held by any defender

Lorchan was in trouble at times last week trying cover both sides
    I'd have lorchan told mark James Ryan and tell him forget bout other two in if there struggling well sub them
    And they will suffer as a result but your only job this game is Ryan who could bag three points if left

But Lorchan is to stick to Ryan
    Ryan awesome air so great test for lorchan in the air
    Lorchan imo good air and has played awesome at centre back for cit and kanturk at times and be fine

Joyce and Ellis need to be ready to come on

I hope and want Dowling starts limerick
    I pray he does
    He's terrific player, outstanding full forward and Cahalane will destroy Begley who is poor but that is no good to cork
    I'd rather Dowling starts and if he cleans Cahalane we know now he is not the full back answer than Cahalane lord it against Begley

This be great tussle but I expect Dowling cause him huge head ache but once Cahalane doesn't allow him get goals and limits him he'll be fine job well done and I think Cahalane can will do that
    No body can or will dominated player like Dowling but you limited the damage job well done
    Cahalane another huge test for him
    Cork fans should pray Dowling starts
    I'd hope that Morrissey starts also terrific player and he's ideal test for cork I'n been outstanding ul freshers v clare under twenty one last week I heard and then he's outstanding minor munster minor player year and been good been limerick v Dublin challenge so he be good test for Sean O donoughge
    He's height, pace, mobility is good test and so great test for him

I think o donoughge has huge ask but he's playing lad he's age group just out minor he's likely face at under twenty one down line so give him job mark him
    Sean bourke good defender got taken five points in minor game last year v limerick by Tom so landers aware he's strengths

Start donoughge who strong and fast but if he's trouble make a switch and Adrian breen goal getter buy he's good under high ball will be good test conor Sullivan

Adrian breen I player rate very highly but Sullivan brilliantly but high balls on him imo be test for him
    That limerick full forward line if starts Is potent and very good hurling so imperative cork start Sullivan and Cahalane

If they start Kearney then imo Cahalane could be under huge pressure so this real test hopefully for him so you must give him protection at corner-back back

This could be good test for cork and while win is good its not be end all in cork have got as many games as they could from it so I'd actually take risk in some but not all match ups in I'd play some lads you know you remain be convinced bout aera he's game on player particularly string that aera of he's game so see how he fares
    Better find out now than in the league

Also if player in trouble give him the half at most but don't wait all day make changes
    Colleges have players this week also so it's lot games some cork lads won't be involved but cork should if they want win it should but the Wexford game if goes ahead same day means cork are limited I'n panel in be hard ask lads play full game and half v limerick but if managed right and key players like horgan, cronin, Ellis, harnedy, horgan, Kearney could play half each it's fine

Wexford is the ideal game for the likes of Stephen Murphy, daire lordan and john cronin get games along with Spillane, Murphy and Barry etc
    Results against Wexford isn't important rather look for individual performances
    Id be picking large league panel around thirty five go out won ist three games kilkenny Dublin and clare once division one secured you're guaranteed your quatre final play lot fringe lads v Galway and tipperary
    Cork must hit the ground running so they can give them selves room to maneuvere in other games
    Kilkenny game is a must win ist day I don't buy this lark it's only league, this will determine cork approach season ahead imo
    We had ist game v limerick last year we were brutal, I said it then amid criticism in I was over reacting but that stale lethargic and no energy I said they had manifested all its way through the next games such tipp blew us away in the league quatre final and came back to bite cork in the arse so they have no choice but to make statement of intent from day one as imo they will in real intensity in set up at moment

Waterford I hear are in a bit of bother still
    There equivalent of cork football in loads talent but awful manager but be fair mcgrath at least won at club and school level, our manager hasn't.

Mcgrath having difficulty naming he captain and imo league will show huge gap cork and Waterford have at the moment
    This cork set up is very positive so far
    Full back is one watch Saturday so please please limerick give us that test start shane Dowling cork needs test like him not false dawn and with respect Begley fine club hurler but he's meat and drink to Cahalane
    Cahalane handled cunningham and conlon well Saturday so must get tested in every game and Dowling is brilliant, and is highly rated bar of course to john Allen who didn't rate him by playing him as a sub, will be a great test for Cahalane if he starts

What people view for football Sunday????

What team do they think cuthbhert will pick
    Has he learned lessons finally on players????

Cadogan had hamstring strain but should be okay he was taken off v limerick in end such that match report tonight said in paper ucc had used all five subs so they finished game fourteen men but could got draw bar finished game down a man the echo said tonight
    By sounds it limerick scraped over line by that match report

I think if limerick struggled beat ucc that didn't start finish with strong team and down a man at home and Ucc training hard last week think cork certainly should be winning this now as cork would have more depth panel

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭CORKDOUBLE

TTM I can see him start Cussen and Fintan at midfield ....thats as far as my guessing Cuthberts teams go !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I cannit wait to see the starting 15 , for both teams, I honestly cannot see us getting anywhere near Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Hey Lads, Cork GAA specific question. A player who has played intermediate championship in 2014 is after handing in a transfer request (motives are IMO, silly U21 football unavailable and apparently better chance of success at junior level). You'd like to say off with you but small clubs cant afford to allow players leave or else there would be a potential run on the banks to use an analogy. Plus a player seeking the reverse transfer has been forced to sit out for two years I think due to objections from his club. So what options does a club have to prevent this type of poaching? I wouldnt like to see any young player miss out on two years but I cant see any other option if they dont change their mind.

Is that confirmed smith ?, i been keeping an eye out but hadn't seen it. Have you a time?

2.30 Saturday charville

Deco99 wrote: »
    Hey Lads, Cork GAA specific question. A player who has played intermediate championship in 2014 is after handing in a transfer request (motives are IMO, silly U21 football unavailable and apparently better chance of success at junior level). You'd like to say off with you but small clubs cant afford to allow players leave or else there would be a potential run on the banks to use an analogy. Plus a player seeking the reverse transfer has been forced to sit out for two years I think due to objections from his club. So what options does a club have to prevent this type of poaching? I wouldnt like to see any young player miss out on two years but I cant see any other option if they dont change their mind.
    All you can do is make it as hard as possible to prevent a soccer a scenario and treat every case on it'd own merits

If geuine case like lads leaving county like Brian Murphy and Karl o dwyer going to kildare as work there etc than it'd fine but not like Seanie Johnston affairs

James loughrey another valid reason in girl friend works in mallow so he got job in cork

There fine as was Larry Tompkins when he worked construction in haven as couldn't find no work

Clubs scenario obviously is different and should not be allowed and case like bud hartnett and Denis Mccarthy two cork players who wanted move small club like Russell rovers and bakkinsxarthy to mideton and clonakityl but had sit out two years and there careers actually suffered on field for it

There classic examples where time out affected their game

If player does that wants leave still nothing more you can do but wish him the best and thank him for the service up to that date

Some cases are geuine

Like durrant living in cork so dingle long trip for him so play club here

Qigley martin sarsfields are similar
    Jack o Connor sons both or one them playing with kildare cause teaching there which is imo fair enough
    If work or geuine you can look at it but just he wants change win another big club,then not right as then free for all will prevail

The two year delay can stop not all but most such cases imo

Ya, these clubs are five miles away from each other and living firmly in his current clubs area. Purely being driven by trainers involved with other club. Very sneaky too. Apparently the date for amalgamating clubs for u21 was 16th January or something and request was handed in on 19th with grievance being no u21 team, no mention before hand.

Cant do much but make the player very aware they will have two years withoout any football, thats two years playing intermediate they could have, for the sake of possibly 1 U21 game, plus Junior football. Madness, but when heads get turned. When does that 2 years begin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

the date of his last match with the club

is he over minor?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

All you can do is make it as hard as possible to prevent a soccer a scenario and treat every case on it'd own merits

If geuine case like lads leaving county like Brian Murphy and Karl o dwyer going to kildare as work there etc than it'd fine but not like Seanie Johnston affairs

James loughrey another valid reason in girl friend works in mallow so he got job in cork

There fine as was Larry Tompkins when he worked construction in haven as couldn't find no work

Clubs scenario obviously is different and should not be allowed and case like bud hartnett and Denis Mccarthy two cork players who wanted move small club like Russell rovers and bakkinsxarthy to mideton and clonakityl but had sit out two years and there careers actually suffered on field for it

There classic examples where time out affected their game

If player does that wants leave still nothing more you can do but wish him the best and thank him for the service up to that date

Some cases are geuine

Like durrant living in cork so dingle long trip for him so play club here

Qigley martin sarsfields are similar
    Jack o Connor sons both or one them playing with kildare cause teaching there which is imo fair enough
    If work or geuine you can look at it but just he wants change win another big club,then not right as then free for all will prevail

The two year delay can stop not all but most such cases imo

Denis O Sullivan TTM and his reasons for leaving Bal were and are power struggle within the club. Just unfortunate and a decent half back lost to Cork for now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

What people view for football Sunday????

What team do they think cuthbhert will pick
    Has he learned lessons finally on players????

small crowd and cork on a hiding to nothing

we could be in for a real trashing if Dubland show up

i can never guess Cuthberts teams

i don't think Cuthbert learns lessons. He makes it up as he is going along

In minor he started fellas one match then they were completely off the panel the next day

Happiest crowds to see his appointment were Kerry and Bishopstown. They were delighted to get rid of him

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    the date of his last match with the club

is he over minor?

Over minor. I had a look at rules. Where is this two year thing got from? All I could see was reasons why a transfer may be granted. None of which apply.

• Advertisement

wackokid wrote: »
    Denis O Sullivan TTM and his reasons for leaving Bal were and are power struggle within the club. Just unfortunate and a decent half back lost to Cork for now anyway.

He was actually a good hurler not many people know

Came on sub minor all Ireland final 2007
    Good hurler sid he ger sometimes things like six goal or more junior hurling club Match once??

Fine player both code

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement