Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

It's a county bye law

should be on Cork Gaa site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

He would have to stay 96 weeks on sidelines unless. Family address is rule. If it was my club I would make him spend every day of the 96 weeks idle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Smith614 wrote: »
    He would have to stay 96 weeks on sidelines unless. Family address is rule. If it was my club I would make him spend every day of the 96 weeks idle.

Just wondering if there is a link to this rule? I'll give a look myself too on county board website.

(e) A player who has not taken part in any official or trophy competition in the previous number of weeks stipulated below:
    (i) A player over the age of 16 – 96 weeks.

http://gaacork.ie/contentPage/337379/county_bye-laws

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    small crowd and cork on a hiding to nothing

we could be in for a real trashing if Dubland show up

i can never guess Cuthberts teams

i don't think Cuthbert learns lessons. He makes it up as he is going along

In minor he started fellas one match then they were completely off the panel the next day

Happiest crowds to see his appointment were Kerry and Bishopstown. They were delighted to get rid of him

Dublin will be well prepared for this after very competitve games v Meath and Kildare - ET in Kildare game.

They will see this as a real opportunity to get a rare victory in Cork.

Very hard to know what's the state of mind of Cork Players and has Cuthbert lost the dressingroom at this stage.

IMO - this game could define our season - a loss and then a few trips up North and we could be facing Kerry with no pts after 3 games and needing a win to avoid the drop. Kerry usually start slow and have injury worries so they may need the pts too.

I'm hoping for the best but fearing the worst as I think Cuthbert is seriously out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭CORKDOUBLE

Ken O Halloron
    Stephen O Donoughue Michael Sheilds Noel Galvin
    Tomas Clancy Eoin Cadogan James Loughrey
    Fintan Goold Michael Cussen
    Colm O Driscoll Mark Collins John O Rourke
    Donncha O Connor Colm O Neill Brian Hurley...

Just a guess at the team ....would not be my team ....and trying to second guess this man ..better chance in the lotto !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Dublin will be well prepared for this after very competitve games v Meath and Kildare - ET in Kildare game.

They will see this as a real opportunity to get a rare victory in Cork.

Very hard to know what's the state of mind of Cork Players and has Cuthbert lost the dressingroom at this stage.

IMO - this game could define our season - a loss and then a few trips up North and we could be facing Kerry with no pts after 3 games and needing a win to avoid the drop. Kerry usually start slow and have injury worries so they may need the pts too.

I'm hoping for the best but fearing the worst as I think Cuthbert is seriously out of his depth.

I actually agree, it will certainly define our league. To win up north requires cohesion, high morale and belief - each in short supply in the squad. Therefore to start with a win over the dubs would be huge. However we will have a midfield that will be bullied by mcauley in cussen & gould and a keeper who lacks the confidence to be consistently accurate with his kickouts. Very difficult to see cork winning unfortunately and if its a tidy loss going to monaghan the following week against the astute malachy o rourke will be difficult to say the least. Huge communications problem from the management in this squad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

CORKDOUBLE wrote: »
    Ken O Halloron

Just a guess at the team ....would not be my team ....and trying to second guess this man ..better chance in the lotto !
    That's a fair call you could be right something like he may do

I agree would not be my team either as he wants a blanket but is going play doc inside

If allowed doc drop back and had someone better than colm o driscoll plus an actual midfield team could win but lot malfunction in that team imo

You just don't know what he'll do like you said

Ken O Halloron

I assume you mean Tom Clancy (Clon) Tomas is Fermoy and seems out of favour with Cuthbert. Cussen at MF is the hard one to call - I don't know how much Kiely and Maguire have done.
    O Rourke hasn't played much so far but he's got good experience at this stage. Jamie Sull has played most games and he might start.
    The man that figure out Cuthbert will be some man.

I assume you mean Tom Clancy (Clon) Tomas is Fermoy and seems out of favour with Cuthbert. Cussen at MF is the hard one to call - I don't know how much Kiely and Maguire have done.
    O Rourke hasn't played much so far but he's got good experience at this stage. Jamie Sull has played most games and he might start.
    The man that figure out Cuthbert will be some man.

O rourke destroyed the much herald durrant In minor before and I can't understand why he doesn't get many games

Cuthbhert could start him half back though you just don't know

sean mac wrote: »
    I actually agree, it will certainly define our league. To win up north requires cohesion, high morale and belief - each in short supply in the squad. Therefore to start with a win over the dubs would be huge. However we will have a midfield that will be bullied by mcauley in cussen & gould and a keeper who lacks the confidence to be consistently accurate with his kickouts. Very difficult to see cork winning unfortunately and if its a tidy loss going to monaghan the following week against the astute malachy o rourke will be difficult to say the least. Huge communications problem from the management in this squad

I think that the squad simply have no confidence in management. The players spelled out their concerns and then Cuthbert had a pop off Donncha after the Waterford Game - that may have gone down very badly - don't know.

Also we don't know what effect, if any, Flanagan has had.

It's a serious mistake going with Ken - his confidence in his kick-outs is shot and Dublin will target this area. I hope Cluxo plays and this will illustrate just why Ken has to go but Cuthbert fails to see anything.

If we ship a heavy defeat from the Dubs then the bus trip to and from Monaghan will be tough going.

• Advertisement

O rourke destroyed the much herald durrant In minor before and I can't understand why he doesn't get many games

Cuthbhert could start him half back though you just don't know

Anything, literally, is possible - Paddy Kelly would still be fairly fit IMO and could be vital in this type of game - he should be starting IMO.

I think that the squad simply have no confidence in management. The players spelled out their concerns and then Cuthbert had a pop off Donncha after the Waterford Game - that may have gone down very badly - don't know.

Also we don't know what effect, if any, Flanagan has had.

It's a serious mistake going with Ken - his confidence in his kick-outs is shot and Dublin will target this area. I hope Cluxo plays and this will illustrate just why Ken has to go but Cuthbert fails to see anything.

If we ship a heavy defeat from the Dubs then the bus trip to and from Monaghan will be tough going.
    Flanagan has been outstanding success be fair to him he's been terrific

Antrim guy was goof before too

I asked many worked flangqn he's top coach

Ger cunningham ul rates him highly as he had him with laois

Problem is Flanagan is not coaching

Cuthbhert is doing coaching himself
    Yes he doing main coaching
    Of course this question is never asked by cork media or he never mentions it himself

If cork win they will be a ten page special though cork loose he will say all parts coaching

Flanagan has been outstanding success be fair to him he's been terrific

Antrim guy was goof before too

I asked many worked flangqn he's top coach

Ger cunningham ul rates him highly as he had him with laois

Problem is Flanagan is not coaching

Cuthbhert is doing coaching himself
    Yes he doing main coaching
    Of course this question is never asked by cork media or he never mentions it himself

If cork win they will be a ten page special though cork loose he will say all parts coaching

That's a disaster - Cuthbert could have done OK this season if he delegated and did little himself but he's a control freak and wants to have the final say on every detail.

Maybe I'll be surprised as I was v Mayo but I think that this set-up is a recipe for disaster.

But if Gene and Sean do well with the U21's they might get the job for next season - if they got a good set-up they could restore our fortunes again.

IMO Lane and Tracey will not re-appoint Cuthbert unless he deserves it - in spite of Frank's efforts

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

I understand that M.D.McCauley won''t be bullying anybody for a while as he got a straight RED last Sunday v Kildare. Tut Tut

I left out Sean Kiely , Ian MaGuire and Brian O Driscoll etc as they play Sigerson tommorow ...Tomas Clancy Clon thats correct .....Clancy as you say neaver gets a look in with Cuthbert ...he plays with UCC tommorow .....he continues to be a star player for College and Morgan , but of course Cuthbert cant see that .....i left Paddy Kelly and paul Kerrigan out as they have only returned recently.....TTM you make a great point how nobody has asked about who the coach is unreal ...i cant believe someone like Murphy or Hurley in the Echo have not done as both seem to have a bit of balls to make these calls ...

A key component of good management imo is the articulate insight and nous to realise every game at face value and judge according

Example one
    Munster beat a hapeless and a holy show of a joke of a sale mickey mouse team yesterday and as David corkery said should be sanctioned putting out such a team
    Good managers will know that Duncan Williams, hurley, Keith earls as a centre are not at or never will be at this level as big games in Europe and in the ist game v sale in regards hurley at centre these guys have proven their poor players compared to the elite European standards
    There fine players against sub standard opponents and no one fault passion or commitment

These guys are off the elite standard and don't just become great players the next day
    The poor manager is the one imo that will judge yesterday and say jesus hurley was awesome, Earls who failed as centre for Ireland and munster many times past suddenly became Ireland Brian o driscoll, and Duncan Williams who actually very poor suddenly became good scrum half after yesterday despite he's shambles last week and he's been living off one one off game in freezing cold and rain v wallabies years ago in the win
    The poor manager and naive fans will look at Earls one break for try say wow, he's a centre
    The astute fan and great manager will say right two years ago look at Earls centre for Ireland with Brian o driscoll couldn't do it
    They will look at two awful piss poor centre sale had yesterday and say ah yeah earls hasn't become centre but guys he faced is poor
    Also they would not just look at he's try and say wow what a break
    They would go further and see try he barely got it still had flaws
    He just got over the line, and was tackled where good defenders that are fast like the fontana, gateau, Fitzgerald even would caught earls and actually forced him to pass which is actually what he's poor at in he can't pass at pace or offload
    He's not a creator but a finisher and even yesterday showed he's caught between two stool when he made break he didn't know whether pass or go for line eventually went line jusr made it
    But he's instinct is between centre and a wing so in he'll never be a thoroughbred centre but a he's a mixed breed of a centre so speak where as if he has been played centre from start four years ago like schmidt said before or else just left on wing imo he could be sensational at either
    Now at twenty sevens it hard to see him if injury free master either position

The good manager will judge everything on its merits and as a whole
    If cuthbhert used mark Collins, in similar scenario like earls example he would learn so much

Collins like earls was terrific talent but he is going to be like earls wasted and ruined by cork playing him as jack of all trades master of none in played all three aera half forward line, half back and now midfield for cork

Collins was judged on tipp display without realising Colin o riordaom or other tipp midfielder that started v cork last June was out so while he looked good, he had actually played league there in a game last year and was poor

He was on tipp game imo performance not taken at face value but then Waterford put hurney on him and he was outplayed and when he did get ball he was unsure what he was meant to do In he was caught between running from midfield and actually delivery fast foot passes to he's forwards as he can pass like Beckham and Zidane but he's being so many different riles cork he forgets who he is
    When a player forgets he identiy on the field you have real problems

Soon as he went half forward v tipp he took while settle but still got cork only point from play

He midfield performance v tipp was blown up yet he's opponent should be analysed as well.
    I said Collins was great after tipp but I said he was not a midfielder by natural instinct

You look at the players direct opponents and their poor so there good display just mean better than opponent on one game they faced but that doesn't suddenly make them elite players

Countless times you see errors made in management and it's imo down to failure to actually distinguish the level of opponent they face in one game to that elite level they will face in the next games

I remember I posted here reading article lauding Northampton as the great bet for this new cup in October and said that article by Stuart Barnes was just imo wrong in I said then Northampton are over hypes, in poor group and lucky to get out it and against racing who are good but not at elite level yet they were destroyed but wait for clermoint to destroy them
    There was the usual pr exercise oh they done this better, they done that better, renewed focus, and hunger etc when truth be told nothing changes from top down to make them from a team that's all fur coat and no knickers in my opinion to a team of real steel courage, a back bone

Only mistake was jj hsnahran made was choosing a club like them you see it time and again some media get affinity with a club or player and blow then up which imo is actually a disservice in a way to them as they rise expectations of non knowledgeable fan who expects so much then so when they fail he's crtising them then when in truth be told the team or player never had chance to be good just a false perception was made from day one

Liverpool is another classic example, poor all year, got good run now , but some teams beating are just awful opposition yet talk is that they changed formation there becoming good
    No, look at opponents they faced
    They meet the good teams they will fail simply as same problems there before in relation defense are still there
    They didn't just go away, all that saved them is level opponent meet so far not clinical enough to put them away
    If they changed things and got run you would say brilliant be fair
    But nothing really changed, but yes BBC punditry will try and convince people it has

A classic example is England will top grioup and qualify another championship and be same old golden lions rubbish they turned a corner, there better this time, they learned from last time etc etc
    Yet same, glaring weak aera in Hodgson team but level opponent is so poor in their group England won't be exposed so there not only beating poor teams but actually beating time
    But wheel turns full circle when major championship come elite elite teams will bear England again as Hodgson is like cuthbhert media like him and he talks good game and yes both nice guys but both are poor management

Course itv will have the happy glen hoddle and Ian wright who call Roy the gaffer and won't ask hard questions but give absolutely pitiful woeful analysis imo
    This trend is in sport across many teams and sports

All these examples are correlation to cork football more so munster win v sale in the concepts that performance are judged off poor opponents with out realise the elite they face

Cuthbhert picked a team that beat sale scenario in a Mary I trench cup team without best players and FAILED DISTINGUISH THE DIFFERENCE IN LEVEL OF ELITE OPPONENTS HE'S FACE DOWN THE LINE
    Yea he talked the talked that he wouldn't read in to it, but he clearly didn't belive it what he said imo if he did why would he pick some then v tipperary and then showed up yet picked then against Waterford yet cork will face much better teams
    Dublin would beat pick Mary I, tipp and course Waterford together imo that's the challenge cork face Sunday

That who cork face Sunday
    Also talking to a dub last week he told me Dublin belive totally in Gavin and will die with boots on as he took sole responsibility for defeat last year took all pressure off them saying he was blame for tactics v donegal
    Fast forward to cuthbhert who blames opposition, players, refereees everyone bar himself for defeats so imo I questions do players truly truly believe in him?????
    Not results even but last two performance two half score less from play show imo huge lack belive in this set up

Our management interview in paper there's imo you can see white smoke burning across the red sky that come Sunday won't be shepherd delight imo as he said he thinks some cork lads played well the new guys he said so
    I have huge fear some these lads will start v Dublin or make the panel

See my reasons comes back my point,the moral of the story like munster sale game,Is the perception player performance is flawed as they played sub standard opponents and you look at duriant and others this year which imo setting unfair expectations lad, was poor v tipp as sub and taken off v Waterford

Management has clear as dawn break days and I can go through every single game they had in charge and show the awful tactically selections prove my point is not opinion but actually fact yet no point as wait some fella say usual what your agenda with cork manager if I do this

Answer is NONE but clear day their picking players and those players are imo not standard senior Intercounty

Also remember if fans can critise see players are not up it, players with on teams are no fools but there not going say either way but look players know themselves some lads are not inter county either having played against then at club so hardly great team confidence when they see five six them beside them facing dubs is it??????

I'd like clarification also if cussen starts he is fit????
    As if he starts and is outplayed management will they play card injury not healed yet??
    He is either fit or not??
    If not fit don't play him that simple

People are going think I'm harsh blunt when cork team named if I critize it but just say advance I dont want see corner backs at half and half back at corner back

I also don't want see great player like Collins made fool of at midfield
    This seems harsh but imo it's not in its reality and very few in cork bar few here actually call it spade a spade

I genuinely belive imo this thread actually with some excellent posters here , paints reality cork football , any one know cork scene know problem with in , know some paper over the cracks at times

All we got last week was headlines , Waterford loss no castrophe, And don't panic etc etc

Just look again at munster rugby, brilliant head line today after humiliating defeat of sale it was kept in perspective
    Headlines was munster click but it can't make up for exit
    Such truth and honesty I nearly choked on my apple I was eating reading it
    Such honest assement great to see

See they never forget who or what munster rugby is about
    Moral story they don't forget
    They have entity with eoripean rugby
    Cork football has no such entity as culture attitude at all levels imo is truly truly way off the standard from some fans, some media, some coaches etc
    Under twenty one football, the ladies are exceptional cases but look where they came from, dismal times in both and in short time they build a legacy all on good coaching

One question for all I ask to those don't want critise cork performance and fail to question the results, when do they think is the time to worry?????
    They say no panic now okay fair enough
    But just so goal posts don't keep moving when if cork loose do we questions results?????
    If results are not going be questions why should we even bother going matches, if we didn't questions failure

Cork beat tipp on under twenty hurling 2011 and Saturday morning head line imo was a disgrace
    Hurling crisis what crisis?!? after one false dawn
    That article I's a disservice to cork hurling imo
    Surely god football can learn from it

See way munster celebrate victory yesterday but still said can't make up for the exit
    Cork get moral victory, yes moral victory v mayo and we have live off monense oh cork made progress

Look at this year????
    No coach bar cuthbhert
    Lost two dual players
    Two more left panel
    Two coaching staff gone, two that were actually good be fair
    Shambles to Waterford
    Cork is in rapid decline and while I pray cork players may pull back out wall performance unfortunately Dublin will at crucial stage won tactic battle by making key change in game so they will win imo while our management will fail to read a game flow,take off lad doing well, put on sub who is no game changer while if beaten we will hear players mistakes cost us the game
    I think this will happen as it happened so many games it'd now a trend in this set up

Cork saving grace is its in cork but Dublin will come to win

What system will cork play???
    Everybody expected a blanket system
    The derry post doing a head line tomorrow on their league preview when on cork, cork go defensive
    Everybody expects cork play defensive

That is fine and all well and good but you can't just play defensive back to the wall type you'll be beaten
    Against Dublin you will invite them on you like a dog with a bone you gave them the ball they are brilliant they will score

You see with cuthbhert imo no middle ground, it's all or nothing
    Last year wanted keegan all out attack.
    This year now he wants the traptonnoi system cling on for dear life, and then get breaks sneak a win

Monaghan best defensive system could not beat Dublin I'm they had no attack threat and Dublin picked holes in the blanket despite o rourke being excellent manager, as they have forwards like snipers In the distance
    You can't blame monaghan as unlike cork have excuse limited forwards

Cork if they think can just put bodies behind ball beat Dublin think again
    Cuthbhert imo thinks misguided myth defend defend like donegal and we'll win
    Donegal are a great counter attacking team and can do both defend in number attack in pace and cohesion

I have seen cork defend numbers two games at times but then attack is jusr flat as a pancake as tipp eight points from play just one point last day
    Cork have tightened up the back but have no system of balance to link both

To do that you need special type player something management as a unit imo I doubt realises special focus and character needed play the system
    Cork under counohhan had athleticism and brute force to break defences in middle third so it worked for a while
    When donegal put up the fort of notre damme cork lacked creativity go around when couldn't go through it

Cuthbhert system attack this year is non existent
    My fear is cuthbhert doing coaching doesn't understand system he trying implement so how jesus can players so cork will probably have possession as Dublin tinkering there own system and are work in progress also between attack and defence but cork imo when get possession will actually be turned over so much due to Dublin being better in the tackle and be like Fiji play all blacks, all their attacking threat individuals wise they can't compete at the breakdown hence attacks break down
    I referencd the pytagourus therom in mathematics a while back, in poor maths teacher allows students learn off the abc lines and he can pass
    The good maths teacher teaches the students the actual concepts of it and won't just have abc. But such if triangle is labelled kyg, students can still write it as he understands the concepts rather than the lettering alone and therefore applies it to real practice
    Cuthbhert must understand reading books and watching donegal etc is not sufficient, he must have practice experience he doesn't
    When he had bishoptown they struggled beat twelve man nemo one day as he failed to beat blanket Ned English understand the blanket inside out

Cuthbhert if he had any sense would have went to English imo and begged him get involved
    English was set with Cleary but English loves cork football so much wouldn't imo let anything cloud he's judgement, if felt he have main role team and be listened to I'd say he join

There a coach that in six months so could perfect system as he understands the mechanism of it
    He does real coaching and ask any player worked under him he allows player empowerment
    English changed Waterford football in just six week he had them beat late great paudie o she clare
    English has bee asked join limerick this year but declined over two teams
    I doubt he decline cork
    Imo shows good perception brudair with limerick as he actually knows limerick are limited but guy like English would get every last inch out them and with him good chance v clare, without him imo huge ask v well coaches ephie Fitzgerald clare side who if they play cork I'd things continue way they are could imo rattle if not beat cork

Cork imo could be crucified in midfield and in the tackle aera against the dubs
    Dublin absolutely tore kerry apart I'n killarney in the league so coming to cork won't fear them
    Cork ran in to contact v Waterford time and again lost possession
    Dublin who are now doing tackling drills like choke tackle I'm rugby, swarm your opponent cork will be swallowed up if they are isolated which is a fear as this team lack unity purpose and cohesion that has to come from good coaching imo

Paul flynn who I'm huge fan of if plays won't have worry bout ex house mate aidan Walsh so if he needs to help midfield he'll clean up

Cuthbhert said he looks forward game, and cork will play to way he knows they can
    Just last week he said after Waterford team were long way off where he wanted to be
    Can anyone enlighten me what changes between the Monday and the Saturday that suddenly were optimistic
    This headline stiff I demand a performance he says is water off a ducks back imo
    How can manager demand anything when he imo fails he's duties to the panel also

This manager preached player empowerment and all this stuff
    He's man management skills players last year are way off the standard imo and it shows by two players decline play this year, treatment Cahalane who was never going play football, treatment paddy Kelly.
    Walsh went hurling, never in doubt despite some article day before saying he was staying in football
    Just look at from it aidan Walsh shies
    He plays under ned English duhallow
    He plays under pat Mulcahy at cit in hurling
    He plays under excellent paudie kissanne with cit, kissamne done great work in arigeen rangers, mtichewltown, clare.
    Ed coughlan, Keith ricken are in the back ground at cit
    Cork hurling had jbm, landers, crowley, so why on earth would he choose football over hurling with boy scout management in football and one guy players rated Mccarthy left
    Walsh said clearly that he would wait see who hurling manager before he decided as if it was like manager like kennelly then he would simply imo stayed put in as saying goes better the enemy you know
    Walsh said lately he like play football again but imo it won't happen while cuthbhert there
    Players know lot lads on teams so he'll know what set up is like has it improved it etc
    Walsh was lucky he played both, feel other unfortunate cork football players that have no such luxury and have to put up with the current set up

One player last year told attend a training camp , club couldn't have him club game
    Fair enough that's fine
    But then Monday after, two days later player cut from the camp
    How I'd that good for cork club relations
    If they were going cut him they surely knew two days before
    Why not say to the player look we think you may be cut but we'll see after camp but you want play club you can but you're way off panel but up you risk give it one more two days
    Communication is always significant imo

One player got call up this panel yet no game and dropped again
    Why call him up if you don't play this guy
    I HAVE never been as pessimistic with cork senior football start season since Tompkins era but Tompkins had no way near talent cuthbhert has, so he'd some excuse

Cuthbhert talks about wille wonka chocolate golden tickets quotes
    Here's one imo, That reflects he's term, tom hanks in the film said life is like a box chocolates, you open the box you just don't know what you will get
    This imo is the story of cuthbhert management in results on any given day Anthing is possible
    One day we may get the smooth lovely caramel chocolate melts you're taste buds, next game we get a performance that's like getting the chocolate with the hard nut in the middle of it you just can't crack it even though like cork football outer core is beautiful, so you try and try but you can't swallow it,you just got to discard it as inner core has no real value just like cork senior football team imo and your left wondering why something so elegant and beautiful as this panel is becomes such an enigma

Compare hurling I have real justified confidences but in the football I have looked hard but imo it's doom and gloom and I'm sorry but I believe in logic not saying we turn up, bit luck you never know what may happen
    Any given Sunday yes can happen once but elite sport imo it won't save cork this year.

I'm hoping individual brilliant save us relegation bookies have around three to one get but when you blame likes donnacha o Connor for missing a free wrongfully I think belief is drained from this camp so individual brilliance could be limited also
    Id love be so so so so wrong as I truly truly love cork football it saddens me like many grass roots fans see cork football being as bad as it is now with such golden talent available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

wackokid wrote: »
    I understand that M.D.McCauley won''t be bullying anybody for a while as he got a straight RED last Sunday v Kildare. Tut Tut

I'm sure that suspension will be served in next years O'byrne cup and does carry into the league

Im sorry wacko,but that suspension will not carry to the league.He will ****ing eat gould and cussen sunday

Im sorry wacko,but that suspension will not carry to the league.He will ****ing eat gould and cussen sunday

What you make hurling so far

Would you fear anyone in munster this year Sean
    Are limerick being over rated as main danger I'n munster
    How do you rate their management

Do you think cats can be beaten?

Strange is no name for GAA rules so?
    Cillian O Connor got a red v Kerry in Limerick last game of HIS championship. If we apply the MD McCauley logic then he will serve his suspension ONLY in 1st championship game AFTER Limerick?
    Seems he is serving his time next Sunday in the League?

TTM, do you post in the Rugby thread?

• Advertisement

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/oconnor-three-wins-from-seven-will-do-us-just-fine-309103.html
    Very honest realistic take by absolutely legend cork football

Noticeable how he admits cork are gone outside top four in he's eyes and more hope any given day scenario

He's right threw wins cork fans would take now league
    Very noticeable didn't mention management at all but said had go defensive and you build back from back up

He did reference the talent in cork football is there though
    Seemed realistic interview but no vote confidence in management

Well probably get one west cork players picked southern star now Thursday or Friday to talk about positivity though etc

Year two should been about all Ireland but now we're now struggling to be top six imo

Strange is no name for GAA rules so?
    Cillian O Connor got a red v Kerry in Limerick last game of HIS championship. If we apply the MD McCauley logic then he will serve his suspension ONLY in 1st championship game AFTER Limerick?
    Seems he is serving his time next Sunday in the League?

TTM, do you post in the Rugby thread?
    I'm huge rugby fan but no just gaa as don't go rubgy matches clash with gaa and I would be out my league with some those lads I wouldn't be up with their knowledge
    If posting want know more bt under age etc
    Just gaa only thread

There top top posters they know their beef and lot grass roots lads there you know by reading posts

What you make hurling so far

Would you fear anyone in munster this year Sean
    Are limerick being over rated as main danger I'n munster
    How do you rate their management

Do you think cats can be beaten?

i am positive as long as landers works out as a coach and the sideline read games better. We need full back sorted but high hopes cahalane will do it hurling only.LOts of POTENTIAL new plAyers like cormac murphy,andy walsh,lee,kelliher for example who if coached properly could nake a huge difference. I have no fear of limerick,they lack the composure to win an all ireland imo and daly is waiting in the wings to take over from ryan-watch that space.
    Tipp are good but still doubts over their manager,waterford are ****ed but clare if davey eases off the throttle a bit should he corksbiggest threat in munster.
    Kk can be beaten full back is now a huge issue for them,but 1 thing for sure they will die on their feet

i am positive as long as landers works out as a coach and the sideline read games better. We need full back sorted but high hopes cahalane will do it hurling only.LOts of POTENTIAL new plAyers like cormac murphy,andy walsh,lee,kelliher for example who if coached properly could nake a huge difference. I have no fear of limerick,they lack the composure to win an all ireland imo and daly is waiting in the wings to take over from ryan-watch that space.
    Tipp are good but still doubts over their manager,waterford are ****ed but clare if davey eases off the throttle a bit should he corksbiggest threat in munster.
    Kk can be beaten full back is now a huge issue for them,but 1 thing for sure they will die on their feet
    You could be right regards daly in imo Dublin job he gone with tj in role bar timing could be manager

As manager daly not coach but manager imo would be terrific in senior job

You don't rate tj Ryan so Sean?

Thanks for that TTM..

The official rules state:
    The Match Suspension applies to the next game(s) in the same Competition in which the Infraction/Repeat Infraction occurs e.g. a player ordered off in a Championship game misses the next game(s) in that Championship; a player ordered off in a League game misses the next game(s) in that League.
    Match Suspensions may extend to the following year’s Competition (i.e. not confined to calendar year).

Somebody should wise up Fogarty in the Zaminer as he wrote in his report yesterday and I qoute " Jim Gavin may have to do without the midfielder for Sunday's Allianz League Division 1 trip to Cork"
    He did of course cover his 'bum' with the word MAY.

Now if the above rule is applied, then Cillian O Connor CAN play v Kerry next Sunday but NOT the 1st championship match v Galway ( I think) Seems the Mayo boys think otherwise from what I read on their thread here............ahem

I know they say 'paper never refused ink' but ................................

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eastmayo View Post
    Dose anyone no for sure which game c o Connor is suspended for,is it the Kerry match or our first championship match?

The Kerry league match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/oconnor-three-wins-from-seven-will-do-us-just-fine-309103.html
    Very honest realistic take by absolutely legend cork football

Noticeable how he admits cork are gone outside top four in he's eyes and more hope any given day scenario

He's right threw wins cork fans would take now league
    Very noticeable didn't mention management at all but said had go defensive and you build back from back up

He did reference the talent in cork football is there though
    Seemed realistic interview but no vote confidence in management

Well probably get one west cork players picked southern star now Thursday or Friday to talk about positivity though etc

Year two should been about all Ireland but now we're now struggling to be top six imo

I think Donnacha O Connors article in the examiner today is a disgrace from an intercounty player. If that is the attitude of the players then they should pack it in. Read into it whatever way u like about honesty etc but it is not acceptable from an intercounty player. I thought this kind of Defeatest attitude was a thing of the past. Donnacha boy we don't need you if that is ur attitude. We are sick of this "the talent is there" rubbish, what have we done to support that claim. Cork club football is in the doldrums for yrs. Fall apart in munster club c/ships at all levels when we meet Kerry opponents. The talent being there is a myth and an over used cliché.

Smith normally I'd be singing same tune you know and be singing your voice, as I despise failure attuide and acceptance mediocrity
    But this interview imo is different in context

First all doc is ultimately warrior and he wanted to win v mayo when he single handedly brought cork back on the game

I think it shows that not a defeatist attitude but imo just reality that this set up is way off elite and staying up is what they can cling to, and they are now not reality contenders for anything not even joke shop mickey mouse mcgrath cup with this set up

He mentions players as imo clearly saying football as we all know is in cork but do you notice he never mentioned ot backed management
    Yes he could come out and say management are st fault imo but then you see hassle he get. He be blame for causing trouble and course he be talking people say of pro strike so he imo wants no hassle final year as look he went with group players again set up he knows too well wouldn't be a change of scenery

Imo he going as far he can go saying football talent is in cork but we fell off standard
    People know management is problem
    I wouldn't be calling doc disgrace at all. The cork media imo are failing the cork public in mot bar few asking real hard questions bout cork gaa lack of coach, problem within camp, the ex pundits for keeping their mouths shut and lacking balls to say real problems cork have like munster rubgy has all this and last week

Doc mentioned the basics regards defence is key, you work from there up, clear day he imo was referring management last year been naive all out attack approach

Cork under twenty results last ten years and st ucc proved talent in cork compete best
    Cork dominated kerry at under twenty one and broke even at junior
    Club game I agree is problem sera as minor is but look minor manager this year great man but old school coach

See cork played tonight paper said cork senior played under twenty one lads challenge matches Sunday
    Here we go more of a shambles within
    Cork under twenty ones good but you don't play then challenge before game, as players know playing against in there cork club players so you ger different challenge outside the comfort zone
    Cork won 3-13 to 1-12
    Apparently there was tension in first twenty minutes
    Sorry but I still don't think good challenge have lined up
    Why not play another club team up country or even county under twenty team rather your own I'm cork
    This is like nineties in rubgy Ireland possible v probable as they were called and then players picked up coming five nations
    Playing in old landswone pitch to full Parc des prince as results showed miles apart
    That was Ireland ameauyeae days now thank god it's professionals
    Cork football preparation is ameauyeae compared football top teams being professional
    Dublin got meaningful work out away home v average kildare but still was test cork senior played under twenty ones

I heard cork didn't have full strength under twenty one side over Sigerson yet cork senior did

So much this bull after Waterford we try get challenge game against team limed up
    Ffs cork under twenty one
    This is a shambles, it's actually a joke

Cork minor hurling before played limerick last year has game v kilkenny minor bank holiday last match get temp up

Cork under twenty one team last year learned hurling had tipp before player clare in year before under ger Fitzgerald he said cork looked good v intermediate team he picked team then munster game and guess what cork got hammered

Ballyhale club side playing next week played cork senior hurling challenge Sunday get tempo up big club game

Out awful set up organised challenge v under twenty one team
    Christ above this is some shambles

See post done yesterday bout players judged on opponents in meaning less games yet inability distinguish the difference in elite standard they face next game

Echo has it cussen impressed in game and management pleased with performance
    There a joke of a set up I'm sorry to say
    Cork under twenty midfield are bunch young lads so cussen impressive in no crowd at game to against dara McCauley ffs this management hasn't a clue

Like cussen impressed v tipp in ckoughdiv challenge two goals hurling two year ago, but big games he was poor in championship
    I saw him v Galway evening challenge senior match hurling one evening he looked awesome
    Course he did that's he comfort zone

He can't do it big games
    Midfield will be cussen gould Sunday as they started under twenty one game

As for hurling good read I'm paper about cork hurling options but john horgan showed he's Castlemartyr alligence aside imo when he said Brian Lawton is contending options for midfield with Andy walsh and haughney

Sorry now john, but what did lawton do exactly merit this?? He got taken off v clare and as many many posted here he was poor
    A good writer I have time for but when lawton plays poor he's still credited

Lawton imo is no where near options for cork and of cork rely him all Ireland forget bout it
    He mentioned defenders but didn't mention colm Barry castkelyon who been good cork despite played st full back one game, as options despite having blinding season all last year at intermediate yet in that game lime said before he played well, he never mentioned
    Castlyons player colm Barry is
    I think john I'd great hurling man, writes good stuff st times but lawton gets huge praise unjustified imo

Very good read in echo by Denis hurley on hunger eammon Ryan has for victory and the no egos in the football ladies set up

I mention this before no ego with Ryan I'm management so course it's natural progression to players
    Imo cork senior football mens set up will never have that same ethos ladies have

• Advertisement

After hearing cork final game was a challenge v cork under twenty one team for crunch game this week god only knows what team picked Sunday

Galvin is injured so donoughge or imo Clancy or loughrey be corner back
    Shields is okay for it
    Interesting tony McEntire said paper today cork need a midfield and style play this year and predicted cork be sixth in league
    Unfortunately hard disagree

Cork need a midfield yet here we go again
    Last year was bad I actually must be only one at start said cork had problems in midfield right through each game
    Thanks full media copped on in summer, a bit late but better late than never

Now we have cussen and gould as likely pairing or Collins maybe
    Maguire should get games
    I hope I'm wrong but imo gould will play midfield cussen

Or best we ger is cussen and Maguire with gould named as half forward but helping midfield out then but imo that's not bear soliton either

Management imo don't understand what modern midfield play is all about if they did wouldn't have cussen as he won't have legs or pace to track back or close opposition on kick out

Alan o Connor superb player but imo legs were gone and he wouldn't be able role now as can't track back as dub proved two year ago

Cussen has little chance imo and won't even win high ball o Connor would

Pointless playing u21 before a sigerson round especially minus Maguire who at a young age is a better midfielder then gould or cussen. Unbelievable that we could end up with cussen & gould as our midfield for sunday against mcauley and bastick for example - if so management have learned nothing.
    We will obviously get a conservative selection for sunday but what that means with this set up is unknown except cadogan & shields in the full back line and probably poor tom Clancy pidgeon holed there also. Ohallorhan in goal also is a cert. Would be surprised if bishopstowns Jamie o Sullivan doesn't start at half back even do any from tom Clancy, Thomas Clancy, brian o driscoll, loughrey, white are better. For me if tom Clancy Fermoy doesn't start as the ucc captain with everything he brings - aggression, mobility, toughness, football and the likes of osullivan, odonoghue etc are played ahead of him I will give up.
    Smith, you may noth like the tone of the donncha interview but it is absolutely 100% accurate and at least donncha has the balls and the seniority to call it for what it is. We are fighting for the 6th place in league 1

Pointless playing u21 before a sigerson round especially minus Maguire who at a young age is a better midfielder then gould or cussen. Unbelievable that we could end up with cussen & gould as our midfield for sunday against mcauley and bastick for example - if so management have learned nothing.
    We will obviously get a conservative selection for sunday but what that means with this set up is unknown except cadogan & shields in the full back line and probably poor tom Clancy pidgeon holed there also. Ohallorhan in goal also is a cert. Would be surprised if bishopstowns Jamie o Sullivan doesn't start at half back even do any from tom Clancy, Thomas Clancy, brian o driscoll, loughrey, white are better. For me if tom Clancy Fermoy doesn't start as the ucc captain with everything he brings - aggression, mobility, toughness, football and the likes of osullivan, odonoghue etc are played ahead of him I will give up.
    Smith, you may noth like the tone of the donncha interview but it is absolutely 100% accurate and at least donncha has the balls and the seniority to call it for what it is. We are fighting for the 6th place in league 1

Tomas Clancy was treated disgracefully by Cuthbert last year - dropped off the travelling panel for Mayo game for Sean Kiely who had never played a senior IC game - absolutely idiotic. But many other were treated similarly - P Kelly etc.

Very average sides like Monaghan and Armagh have done well because of good management and preparation - we will be very badly prepared as we don't have a competent coach. This is probably the most challenging league fixture list that we've had for years but we will be taking a 'seat of the pants' approach.

I can this going very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭solwhit12

Tomas Clancy was treated disgracefully by Cuthbert last year - dropped off the travelling panel for Mayo game for Sean Kiely who had never played a senior IC game - absolutely idiotic. But many other were treated similarly - P Kelly etc.

Very average sides like Monaghan and Armagh have done well because of good management and preparation - we will be very badly prepared as we don't have a competent coach. This is probably the most challenging league fixture list that we've had for years but we will be taking a 'seat of the pants' approach.

I can this going very badly.

It won't go as bad as people think the same was said last year and we still made the semi final .

[quderry12;94029186"]It won't go as bad as people think the same was said last year and we still made the semi final .[/quote]

Last year we had just three away games and one those kerry was right off as no intention winning as algarve pre booked

This year derry cork have go to who when cork were good barely beat point last time went up their So derry tough place win

Monaghan also
    Donegal and Tyrone
    Mayo we could win at home
    Kerry who knows
    I hope kerry loose mayo this week and by tine cork play them must win game so at least we get good test this time

Huge ask this time

solwhit12 wrote: »
    It won't go as bad as people think the same was said last year and we still made the semi final .

That didn't go too well did it? cork were haunted last year in the league - 2 first home games vs the 2 weakest teams in the division guaranteeing 4 points. Different animal this year, Dublin coming to break another record for Cuthbert, following on from the biggest loss in a munster final in 30 odd years, the losing to waterhurd for the first time in 50 years and now losing to Dublin for the first time in 25 years in cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Just read the so called disgraceful article from todays examiner. Here's what I read. Cork should not focus on winning league but look to build for championship.

Anyone at the Sigerson game today ? I have looked around other forums and theres hardly no mention of the match ......just goes to show once again that football is second even on the forums in Cork.....if this was a Fitzgibbon game there would be loads of coverage of it ....I know most people on here are both hurling and football fans ....but hurling still gets more debate ....rant over !

Anyone at the Sigerson game today ? I have looked around other forums and theres hardly no mention of the match ......just goes to show once again that football is second even on the forums in Cork.....if this was a Fitzgibbon game there would be loads of coverage of it ....I know most people on here are both hurling and football fans ....but hurling still gets more debate ....rant over !

You have valid points be fair

I try and speak both as much as I can but you have fair point

Different in player conor dorman is ucc and cork
    Cork played full back and corner and looks devoid confidence self belive

Morgen plays he's strengths at half back got winning point last year goal today terrific footballer he is

Ask any kerry player played under Morgan there glow I'm praise and not just yrrrs

Morgan one he'll of a coach

And likes hickey kerry cox will benefit under him then under cian o Neill so develop faster better cork lads once leave ucc they improvement I fear be static at senior while kerry lads have upward progression

• Advertisement

To me the stand out issue revolves around tom Clancy - under billy morgan a huge leader and captain central to the team, Under brian Cuthbert dropped totally after playing in the league, brought on with 10 mins left vs Sligo and then a week later dropped off the panel for the mayo game - how the **** is that justified? a far superior to player to Jamie o Sullivan for example

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭It makes sense

Smith614 wrote: »
    I think Donnacha O Connors article in the examiner today is a disgrace from an intercounty player. If that is the attitude of the players then they should pack it in. Read into it whatever way u like about honesty etc but it is not acceptable from an intercounty player. I thought this kind of Defeatest attitude was a thing of the past. Donnacha boy we don't need you if that is ur attitude. We are sick of this "the talent is there" rubbish, what have we done to support that claim. Cork club football is in the doldrums for yrs. Fall apart in munster club c/ships at all levels when we meet Kerry opponents. The talent being there is a myth and an over used cliché.

I would applaud donnacha for being honest I think three wins would be hard work, I would love to be wrong but if Cussan and Gould start in midfield we are goosed. Truly amazing that evening echo gives no criticism I know you can be positive but you should tell the facts and not brush over things. At least donnacha called it as he saw it, I said before without a proper coach the team is going no where this season and maybe in defeat the Ccb will see the light rather than just gloss over things with everything will be okay routine

Cheers again TTM for the report....

Sean if you had wish name five people for cork senior football management set up who be??

Strength conditions be separate

Mine be Cleary, English coach

Cahalane, James Mccarthy kissanne
    Ed coughlan s and c

James and kissanne be there learn and be groomed main riles in time

Cheers again TTM for the report....

No hassle that was from the score though I was not st game

Quote ttm - As for hurling good read I'm paper about cork hurling options but john horgan showed he's Castlemartyr alligence aside imo when he said Brian Lawton is contending options for midfield with Andy walsh and haughney

Sorry now john, but what did lawton do exactly merit this?? He got taken off v clare and as many many posted here he was poor

Lawton imo is no where near options for cork and of cork rely him all Ireland forget bout it
    He mentioned defenders but didn't mention colm Barry castkelyon who been good cork despite played st full back one game, as options despite having blinding season all last year at intermediate yet in that game lime said before he played well, he never mentioned
    I think john I'd great hurling man, writes good stuff st times but lawton gets huge praise unjustified imo

I read article to John certainly will not say a bad word about the lawton boys talked up Barry the other week when playing for UCC. Even lads in East cork know Brian is well off inter county pace this year, I cannot see him making the cut but jbm does seem to like him as continues to give him game time, strange one I assume panel for league will be named shortly So we will see

Quote ttm - As for hurling good read I'm paper about cork hurling options but john horgan showed he's Castlemartyr alligence aside imo when he said Brian Lawton is contending options for midfield with Andy walsh and haughney

I read article to John certainly will not say a bad word about the lawton boys talked up Barry the other week when playing for UCC. Even lads in East cork know Brian is well off inter county pace this year, I cannot see him making the cut but jbm does seem to like him as continues to give him game time, strange one I assume panel for league will be named shortly So we will see

I like castle mstur geuinely

What I don't like is other players will get critise fair point but then some don't

Your honest lad and I admire respect that your views say look this Lad fine club man but not cork standard

Cork gaa needs attuide like yours

What you make hurling so far any players stand out

Two games this weekend Wexford and limerick then panel be announced

Your very technical in your assement
    Would you think cork are different this year
    Would you give rochestown chance Saturday

I think they will win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I agree with all of the above,

May I add also that Conor Sull needs to on the panel if not starting this year,
    He is a solid option in the full back line imo,

Jury still out on the following in my book,
    Walsh,tries his best,but i could see him get cleaned when up against the tipps etc
    O'Connor,has the hurling,speed maybe lacking, maybe a year or two down the line he ll be a better fit
    Cian Mac, i know he played well last week but i dont think he has the inter county hurling cork need in the forwards,
    Haughney,nippy hurler, has great potential, needs more work imo

I d go with a starting team of the following if it was my call
    1.Nash

2.Joyce.3.O Neill,4. Conor Sull
    5.Cahalane.6.Ellis.7.Lorcan
    8.AidanW. 9.Kearney

10.harnedy.11.Cooper.12.Lehane
    13.PaudieSull (If fit)/LukeF 14.PatHorgan. 15.Cadogan

anybody else care to put a team together?

Canyon86 wrote: »
    I agree with all of the above,

May I add also that Conor Sull needs to on the panel if not starting this year,
    He is a solid option in the full back line imo,

Jury still out on the following in my book,
    Walsh,tries his best,but i could see him get cleaned when up against the tipps etc
    O'Connor,has the hurling,speed maybe lacking, maybe a year or two down the line he ll be a better fit
    Cian Mac, i know he played well last week but i dont think he has the inter county hurling cork need in the forwards,
    Haughney,nippy hurler, has great potential, needs more work imo

I d go with a starting team of the following if it was my call
    1.Nash

2.Joyce.3.O Neill,4. Conor Sull
    5.Cahalane.6.Ellis.7.Lorcan
    8.AidanW. 9.Kearney

10.harnedy.11.Cooper.12.Lehane
    13.PaudieSull (If fit)/LukeF 14.PatHorgan. 15.Cadogan

anybody else care to put a team together?

Agree most that but no way in team as tipp proved is Joyce a two no way Jose with all flying ducks world would have o Neill at full and no way Cahalane at five

They played there v tipp and we're brutally exposed

For kilkenny game Nash

O Sullivan he didn't play last year but tbh nothing wrong o Neill or mcdonmell imo
    Full back Cahalane
    Mcdonmell if not fit o Neill if not Burke

Cormac murphy Joyce or Ellis I'd go Joyce and lorchan

Walsh Kearney

Cooper harnedy lehane
    Luke Anthony Spillane Alan cadogan

Paudie unlucky loose out like moylan

No way would start horgan needs wake up call large dose reality living off reputation

I like castle mstur geuinely

What I don't like is other players will get critise fair point but then some don't

Your honest lad and I admire respect that your views say look this Lad fine club man but not cork standard

Cork gaa needs attuide like yours

What you make hurling so far any players stand out

Two games this weekend Wexford and limerick then panel be announced

Your very technical in your assement
    Would you think cork are different this year
    Would you give rochestown chance Saturday

I think they will win

I think Joyce has to start full back jbm spoilt for chance in corners with o'neill and mac to come back Conor o playing centre back has to be Ellis flanked by loc and possible cahalane. Midfield Daniel shoo in I would give walsh a go in first few league matches.

Front six is going to be very interesting has to be lehane, copper and harnie half forward with cadogan I would leave Horgan out to start with and go with Spillane and Luke, let Hoggie get some fire back. Bench with Cronin, Hoggie, wt al great experience to bring on

I think Landers has added more brute force this year more power I would have high hopes as there is good depth to the panel cover in most positions look at the keepers Nash number one but young lad is going to be great in time

As for Rochestown I think they have a great chance based on they team spirit and tactics been impressed both times I saw them this season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement