Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

in fariness, i think your being petty here TTM

Youself couldn't see midleton being beaten by Nenagh, no excuses you said - Midleton players were goingto light up Harty,

you talked up AG management in one post and then blamed them in next ones ,

its hard to miss your posts there so many of them, thats why you get so much response

pot callin kettle black i think and of course things can change and posters change there minds about things

I think Denis Hurley in the Examiner said today anyone who follows underage hurling wouldn't be surprised by Rochestonw win and how well there doing

Myself Im expecting another big performance in final and if there right with no injuries they will win

Hurling heart I'm not be fair but there's clear agenda against some my posts be fair by some
    I hope and do think your not one those as your hurling fan grassroots up real type bread butter fan that I am myself and we belive I think hurling needs start at bottom down and have work done

I think you will find being bread and butter type fan like myself you know I have huge interested all schools and be fair I mentioned mtichewltown here last week and other schools and don't see many otherness posting teams be fair

I said management lordan was good at start year what achieves brings them together but as seventh I'm sure will agree I mentioned in most games tactically naivety some calls

I did expect mideton do well and in regards lighting up Harty o mentioned john looney and he did indeed light it up

Problem was as many fans know maybe you don't be affiliate to rivhestowm fair point but are actually mibdellton poorly managed as acknowledged by least five different posters here as dayne record is poor

I shouldn't be alienated for so many posts be fair but as poster other thread said I get unfair criticism here for my views more anyone else
    I think at times my length post and strong opinions go against me but magior cork posters want me post
    If that ever changes I would have no problem retirement my posts as done before as cork gaa thread not about one poster

Some imo make out be jusr cause I post a lot

But look I'm well used it at this stage it always comes every few weeks one poster critics me other wade in as they have support

Be fair everything I said regards ag mideton management was said by many others
    I wasn't the only one now was I

You are flowing glow I'm geuinely happy after rochestown win but I think be fair making remark I just joined the support recently is wrong and I been through this argument before I though we moved on be honest, but I being bread butter fan before you surely appreciate I always support them

No point but could easily post old post me support the school last year

I'm critises unfairly as seen be one school over another nut geuine fans know I post all schools

Who else posted mtichewltown, charville winning limerick vocational ist year title christ ri etc mot many be fair
    I said before others can do it fair point
    I post school women game try give everyone attention
    Did anyone even mention ladies milford here bar myself be fair
    I mentioned this to show I try cover everyone as cork is cork to be me

I do agree regards richestown no surprise doing well

Hurley piece as alway was excellent and he knows school hurling inside out and does what I call real reporting games often away from limelight in most awful weather he deserves huge credit like paddy Ryan thwresw csllaghan for their coverage

I think myself and your self are on same side with lot views

I think you will be confident cork minor hurling team this year and your a big Denis ring fan like myself and we both agree cork should be munster final

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hurleratheart

Hurling heart I'm not be fair but there's clear agenda against some my posts be fair by some
    I hope and do think your not one those as your hurling fan grassroots up real type bread butter fan that I am myself and we belive I think hurling needs start at bottom down and have work done

I think you will find being bread and butter type fan like myself you know I have huge interested all schools and be fair I mentioned mtichewltown here last week and other schools and don't see many otherness posting teams be fair

I said management lordan was good at start year what achieves brings them together but as seventh I'm sure will agree I mentioned in most games tactically naivety some calls

I did expect mideton do well and in regards lighting up Harty o mentioned john looney and he did indeed light it up

Problem was as many fans know maybe you don't be affiliate to rivhestowm fair point but are actually mibdellton poorly managed as acknowledged by least five different posters here as dayne record is poor

I shouldn't be alienated for so many posts be fair but as poster other thread said I get unfair criticism here for my views more anyone else
    I think at times my length post and strong opinions go against me but magior cork posters want me post
    If that ever changes I would have no problem retirement my posts as done before as cork gaa thread not about one poster

Some imo make out be jusr cause I post a lot

But look I'm well used it at this stage it always comes every few weeks one poster critics me other wade in as they have support

Be fair everything I said regards ag mideton management was said by many others
    I wasn't the only one now was I

You are flowing glow I'm geuinely happy after rochestown win but I think be fair making remark I just joined the support recently is wrong and I been through this argument before I though we moved on be honest, but I being bread butter fan before you surely appreciate I always support them

No point but could easily post old post me support the school last year

I'm critises unfairly as seen be one school over another nut geuine fans know I post all schools

Who else posted mtichewltown, charville winning limerick vocational ist year title christ ri etc mot many be fair
    I said before others can do it fair point
    I post school women game try give everyone attention
    Did anyone even mention ladies milford here bar myself be fair
    I mentioned this to show I try cover everyone as cork is cork to be me

I do agree regards richestown no surprise doing well

Hurley piece as alway was excellent and he knows school hurling inside out and does what I call real reporting games often away from limelight in most awful weather he deserves huge credit like paddy Ryan thwresw csllaghan for their coverage

I think myself and your self are on same side with lot views

I think you will be confident cork minor hurling team this year and your a big Denis ring fan like myself and we both agree cork should be munster final

as long as cork hurling(schools minor senior intermediate club )on the up were def on same page

Im a big Rochestonw fan, but happy to support whoever comes to top from Cork

all i know is Im 100% right so far backing Rochestown from start, and I'm hoping to keep it that way

Don't know to much about Denis Ring myself but anything I heard is excellent.

Mehapoy wrote: »
    As an outsider looking in and in the limerick thread, I think certain posters should be aware that players, managers etc. and their families may be reading these forums...we all have the advantage of anonymity so if it's not something you'd say to their face then I think you should tone down your comments, some of the comments against the football manager, players and coaches is beyond the pale, they are all volunteers...

Valid points and I agree totally but I think must be kept perspective once judges field play not personal criticism is fine as be fair grassroots roots fans spend huge time involved going game making many sacrifice to go games and if they can't judge players performance then thry won't go games

Amis all criticism poor cork under twenty hurling management I like many still supported team others chooses not to
    We still go games as we support players though think ans thin

We criticism of ger Fitzgerald and kennelly be fair as managers only as be fair their record management are poor

I can only speak myself but saud many times nothing personal but judge them as managers

For example I'm huge fan teddy mac as player and stand up him any time but then manager I critize and be fair it's justified in records as manager

No one ever questions committed and passion
    Senior players and management know oh field play cork are criticism and they as many said know it's come territory

What more issue imo critise young lads under sixteen etc

I make point as geuine fans know here not naming any young lads as pure out crtising ans if there on performance judges performance I try and always say positive on aspects of their play

We had posters here before criticism cork minor footballer here where got personal with that poster view player in regards movement I strongly disagree with

I don't see problem however saying senior lad around panel few years is poor inter county players

Cody does it as manager so too kerry
    Moral of ethics is fine to a point but this attuide dare not critise is what ruined cork football for years and also limerick hurling I mentioned this as your a limerick fan

Look at yere minor this year

Many on your thread you will find criticism of the manager
    Yes your own thread
    Now than manger was put forward as candidates for under twenty one or minor manager again in some quarters

It's well know that he's nice fella but solely and purely as manager he wasn't by lot involved last year minor team wanted be minor or under twenty one manager again as on results
    Ask limerick fans do they want him as manager
    You will I guess be told in no uncertain terms the answer

That's fair nothing wrong with it
    As by limerick not wanting him get another term or under twenty manager limerick have geuine chance all Ireland under twenty one glory and I'm convinced next year will win it

The same attuide hasn't always be in limerick though and like cork football this do not critise but accept mediocrity and poor results is why we don't win much

Everything with cuthbhert I speak from my self purely on field play and valid justified criticism on performance
    I said many times have him rile within cork gaa as administration but not coaching
    I said same niall moran terrific coach bit as player nor senior standard
    Now is that personal no its not I praised where due
    Kissanne I didn't rate as a player but imo will be one best young coaches around

There's few other forums one particular read once where abuse cuthbhert was awful as it's personal
    That's wrong

But on performance he was not vilified but judged just like kerry and kilkenny do
    Go there thread please and post your post and I'd like see their reaction
    There ruthless on field play alone
    Kilkenny people last year paper critises public training of mullnvat in their agm report
    Nobody complaint
    Next year they won leinster intermediate championship and kilkenny county and like twenty six out thirty games

Often people say player played game despite he being poor don't judge
    However what about moral code of ethics for better player he keeps off field or manager that works just as hard bust he's balls but never gets a chance despite same commitment and passion

Classic example one cork lad senior hurling vying for place panel league and he cancelled a trip abroad this weekend planned ages as wants play cork
    Now imagine guy that around cork panel proved time again not up senior cork level yet he gets place ahead him
    Now people say don't judge lad as committed passionate
    What about lad better than him doesn't get that same chance

Criticism field play is fine
    If you and others on limerick thread choose to accept not critise when valid that your opinion bit I think many cork fans sick sight of watching kilkenny and kerry win all Ireland year on year while we accept second best and even below it and likes munster rubgy call spade spade

Look criticism munster thread and I'm media among their own
    No complaints as they accept the demand for better

One performance as paudie palmer said today radio is nothing get carried away with as fair play he said cork could lost just as easily and this was a second strength Dublin to a point but applauded passion and commitment rightly so
    But it's wring say cork turned corner on one win when midfield clear problem

as long as cork hurling(schools minor senior intermediate club )on the up were def on same page

Im a big Rochestonw fan, but happy to support whoever comes to top from Cork

all i know is Im 100% right so far backing Rochestown from start, and I'm hoping to keep it that way

Don't know to much about Denis Ring myself but anything I heard is excellent.

Richestown football game Saturday twelve thirty mallow

Any injuries after weekend???

You think they have a chance
    I think they do but huge pressure both codes do both
    I think club scene rockies Douglas will be strong next few years also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

TTM you really need to slow down when your typing, PROOF READ! :D

case885 wrote: »
    TTM you really need to slow down when your typing, PROOF READ! :D

Thanks,I see usual trend here one criticism me, they all join in
    Nothing changes
    Others dont seem to have a problem with it

Thanks,I see usual trend here one criticism me, they all join in
    Nothing changes
    Others dont seem to have a problem with it

Ah i didnt mean it that way, i was only joking. Your a valuable poster to the thread and have a great knowledge of Cork GAA.

Ah i didnt mean it that way, i was only joking. Your a valuable poster to the thread and have a great knowledge of Cork GAA.

Fair enough apologies geuinely
    there just a trend here among a few others it must be said

No worries.
    What have you made of Darren Mc Carthy's performances outfield so far TTM?
    Do you think JBM will start him in the league?

No worries.
    What have you made of Darren Mc Carthy's performances outfield so far TTM?
    Do you think JBM will start him in the league?

Superb keeper absolutely but not corner forward and he met he's match Saturday as limerick corner back are outstanding
    But if he had ti face Seamus hickey or Barrett tipp he wouldn't get a ball

He's best position for club is half forward but he's not ball winner cork crave and coughlan in similar role far far better hurler

Full forward line has cadogan Spillane luke horgan paudie cronin ahead of him and imo make panel as a goalie but not as a forward

Imo Walsh haughney will make it
    Kelleher may make it

It's hard to say but cian imo a definite and will be there but shouldn't
    In six years one good game v Galway four year ago rear been hit and miss

Lawton no where near this level
    Fine against colleague teams but limerick and clare showed him up

O Connor hard to know

Colm Barry and spillane imo have to make it

• Advertisement

http://www.eveningecho.ie/sport/2015/02/01/leaders-stood-up-when-game-was-on-the-line/

Good balance read

The mention of leaders is very valid but cork always had those
    That was not the problem last year
    Yesterday tactically wise was not the test of test so cork survived but key test be next week as Murphy said

Great that he mentioned full back display cadogan
    Was outstanding at full-back back when there compared to half back imo

Full back line or no where

It's was good he mentioned five key players Dublin were without
    Add in kilkenny this year that's six

Cork had shields and galvin out but that's it really

Doc and Clancy yes but cork have ample cover those position be fair and like Kelly and goulding terrific players wouldn't added more than Collins or hurley for example

That's the most important point realise while full back line be stronger this is essentially cork starting midfield v Kerry and huge worries and if maguire injured no real effective cover imo

Derry monaghan Tyrone should tesr cork midfielder as they will go long

Win crucial and two points can't be underestimated

But mayo winning and monaghan many seemed think could be for relegated means they have two points also

Dublin kerry guaranteed won be relegated

Donegal have one win also

Derry have loss but cork at home

Huge win but cork have tough road ahead yet

Mayo should be beat at home I said this even few weeks ago

Saw game v Kerry were imo not impressive in kerry had no interest judge record lost every game this time year before or close to it

Kerry if need win huge concerns ti cork but if don't need win cork should win

That's three wins but others could be contention also

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭It makes sense

Figsy32 wrote: »
    To be fair I'm much more hurling too and I wouldn't know the ins and outs of the football set up and Cuthbert's quality or lack there of, but to suggest that beating what was in essence Dublin's second team is enough to say he's good enough for the job is extremely premature.

The concerns over tactical awareness, player positioning and player treatment all seem pretty fair from what I've seen in the last 18 months.

I would agree I appreciate the art of hurling more than football and only pass a small eye on the bigger ball. Although it was great to see cork beat Dublin I thought Dublin would win, I still think the jury is out until we have played 4/5 games let's see then how things pan out. From speaking to a few Lads at the game what was most impressive was the work rate and whole hearty approach which was good to see. Again I hope Cuthbert proves me wrong.

I would agree I appreciate the art of hurling more than football and only pass a small eye on the bigger ball. Although it was great to see cork beat Dublin I thought Dublin would win, I still think the jury is out until we have played 4/5 games let's see then how things pan out. From speaking to a few Lads at the game what was most impressive was the work rate and whole hearty approach which was good to see. Again I hope Cuthbert proves me wrong.

Very good post

I think every cork fan would love be proven wrong by cuthbhert

I'd love to say here I was wrong if he successful

What do you make cork senior hurling tactically and richestown chances harty cup and all Ireland now???

Brilliant read by eammon Murphy today where he got down to business

It was honest assement of the new comers for league places

He mentioned patrick Collins will Kearney sean o dounughe Brian o sullivan Glenn o Connor Andy walsh Murray lawton and Darren McCarthy as audition leage panel

He correctly said out of all those only Andy walsh advanced he's claims and work rate middle third will make him good addition but getting starting place is tough ahead Kearney Walsh cronin and haughney

He said will Kearney made some interception but still Conceded two three
    He felt Kearney was caught on breaks and collective errors felt he should still get chance in spring

That'd only part I disagree with

Kearney also imo got badly beaten for kavanagh goal v cit so imo not besr corner back in cork

He said Collins made few brilliant saves but fault few goals but has real under age potential and may overall push himself in ti the fray

Collins outstanding keeper but imo no need rush him yet

He correctly said Darren McCarthy club form wasn't transferred to senior as a forward

I think spillane and barry who were ineligible should be added to the panel

I must add read cuthbhert interview I'm paper and welcome change
    He pointed out Dublin had ten men out and identify cork like I said last year need three or four different way to play and monaghan would be a huge test

Good read definitely one of the best yet

Key will be team v monaghan
    It was acknowledged cork defence was too loose v Dublin

Good see things acknowledged as then you can believe in set up

Monaghan will be good test and tough place to win so ideal test for cork

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

Harty final confirmed for Mallow. Can't see Thurles being happy. Fermoy wanted to host I hear. Thought it would have been the obvious choice.

Harty final confirmed for Mallow. Can't see Thurles being happy. Fermoy wanted to host I hear. Thought it would have been the obvious choice.
    Thanks for that
    Richestown played charville here and won frewn cup In football last year there so know ptich well

Nothing against any other venues but harty cup deserves complex like mallow
    Mallow is super complex for this final of this truly wonderful competition

There will be a huge cork crowd there

I think this adds to their advantage but the worry is three tough games in three weeks for young lads with football this weekend in mallow also

Any non football lads should go mallow Saturday even so they ger familiar with the place

Great news for cork hurling to hold harty cup so dear to cork history of hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Froggyno11

We have seen the harty cup reach the final stage now like most competition, so who would people go for in the minors as of now for limerick game??

I'd go for
    Dalton
    Smith
    Griffin
    Hennessy
    Cashman
    O leary
    Darragh o brien
    Donal English but john Sullivan has really put himself imo contention for this

Shane Kingston could play midfield no problem at all
    Cormack
    O mahony
    Flynn
    Looney
    Halloron
    Gunning

Very hard team to pick but it has hurling, pace, dogmatic warrior and leaders and winners in that team and imo would beat limerick
    Obviously form could change it again
    That team I hope for a dry day as limerick won't be able for them but a wet day they would win also
    The key yesterday was likes mackey, grimes, houinhsn, Casey were all well contained yesterday so as good as they are cork have the players to contain them
    It be tough game yes but cork imo are in the perfect place now

Winning against thurles is key in gives them great chance easier route to all Ireland final however loosing still won't affect too much cork set up in beat limerick which was key and in harty this year cork schools won two duels with limerick schools with ag beating doon and yesterday win

Lost four but those three Youghal should beaten Castletroy but for the late smash and grab, better coaching would got ag win over Castletroy both lost by a point
    Colman young team with no cork minor came within crossbar drawing their game making the quatre finals
    Ard scoil were the only game imo that they beat hammies that a limerick team were the better team against a cork team and a higher standard and deserved the win imo
    You could not fault Hammies as they had a superb tournament and gave it everything

The key is imo the gap has closed though considerably and yesterday richestown beat limerick best and elite team and it was only cork school bar ag and mideton where you had a lot of cork present and past minors that could face limerick team with lot of Intercounty players
    Mideton and ag never had chance to play them this year to see what cork best Intercounty wise would do against them

Richestown with likes griffin, cashman, Kingston, cormack ans last year minor course Daniel meaney they had Intercounty experience or soon to become that plus likes power with the cork minor football so they had big big game changers you need at this level.

Rochestown have great chance of the harty cup and geuine realistic chance of an all ireland imo looking at the possible teams left as they tick all four boxes required, good coaching, talented players, but have big name game changer in that set up, and between football and hurling down the years have beaten big names so they have confidence in their own ability
    Kieran naturally are the teams to beat as they on last year have few available and there strong physical team with as any kilkenny team has and abundance of hurling
    I'd presume ger flood still up there and involved team he's a strength conditions coach and tio quality so kilkenny boys upper body strength be ideal test for rochestown
    I'm not too sure regards Galway schools but imo good counsel or Kieran meet next week in the semi would be biggest dangers for two munster teams left
    One thing is Kieran have a traditional and good counsel too in winning success and good counsel won all Ireland under sixteen football beating richestown last year and hurling beating mideton would I think have few likes sinnot, tomas o Connor, Richard hennessy so they will be strong
    Next year is probably the year though thar good counsel be better chance winning leinster
    I'd be hoping from cork view point good counsel win Saturday bear Kieran but at the same time as it's been so long since cork school bar last year under sixteen all Ireland final met kilkenny senior school in hurling or minor I'd one way like Kieran meet them see how cork school done and is there any difference between there best and our best as it is only by playing the best do you know if you can become the best

The rock two years ago said that in he's day the harty cup where he played as a half forward for mideton cbs it was a tougher standard than minor
    The level preparation now days and the pace I'd say harty cup is at least level in most games yes not all with minor inter county

This is great sign for cork minor hurling this year
    I always said it even last year in the dark days and year before regards under age, the talent is and always will be in cork football and hurling that won't change
    Cork have the sports people in any sport to compete with the best
    All it needs is good coaching and to be developed and for that you need resources as will has always been there with volunteers but you support that with money, and if you do it now it won't actually cost thar much cork will thrive at both codes as there's enough talent to satisfy both imo that one is not seen as superior to the next

I'm against view cork should be seen as hurling county
    Course hurling is king with all Ireland but football haa actually held its own or topped roll honour in all other three county grades bar senior with just seven all Ireland
    Cork should be seen not as a hurling county but the best gaa county around and imo must thrive for thar perfection
    Of course thar will take a change of attuide and also will course take a lot of time but if it happened it would truly be worth the wait

Once that's done there is no limit to what success in hurling and football can be achieved imo

Yesterday victory is still just unbelievable absolutely unbelievable in context of cork hurling as this is one step in solving problems from bottom up rather than relying on we are cork mushrooms theory
    This win didn't just happen as a one off it happened for a reason though hard hard work and progression
    Rochestown last year beaten doon in close game with lot injuries bur they learned so much in that defeat and just second year truly amazing outstanding there in a harty cup final

Good coaching proves king again and it's good for the likes of Douglas ans Blackrock and Carrigaline also
    Young talent that the rookies have is unbelievable and not case imo if they win senior county with Eddie Murphy the only question like mideton with Wallis is when,???

Good news cork hurling from grass roots up so far this year, rookies and mideton appointment good coached so sarsfields won't be winning senior next year thankfully
    The appointment of hartnett as minor selector
    The outstanding under sixteen mubstee success of Midleton, rochestown, again, mtichewltown who went close mubstee c senior quatre final, the reaching of the d final and so far at least likely too senior cork school in a and b final munster

The leaving Wallis from limerick that will weaken limerick and strengthen cork ans likely he'll be involved in cork under age pretty soon in the future I would guess
    Cork senior hurling panel seems be strong this year with more competition but when league panel is announced tomorrow or Tuesday we will know more

The intermediate all Ireland last year winning team and Dean Ryan and all Ireland final from mideton
    After five long painful years finally a competent under twenty management team for cork hurling

Landers so far seem good choice in the senior
    There lot work to do but at least progress is been made
    The investment must continue and referring in cork has to be sorted out with the dismal club standards and when cork coaching jobs come up they must be appointed in proven success
    The under twenty one credit due was good choice but the intermediate manager again showed how ccb make poor choices also

Again win yesterday was greater significant to cork hurling than waterford crystal as this was vital to cork hurling absolutely vital and cannot be underestimated and I hope cork as a county, North south east and west pull and join unites together and support rochestown in Feb twenty ist in harty cup final and I'm hoping few ex cork greats support them from all over
    Likes Jim cashman will be there with John playing

The hype will obviously be a factor but richestown having been under sixteen all Ireland football few these lads will be used to it
    I think after yesterday win only right absolutely media give these lads huge glowing tribute and as they didn't beat any old school they beat the powerhouse the kings ard scoil and they actually blew them away in truth

The key will be a balanced approach though and don't do limerick leader last year I'm build up minors with like a twenty eight page supplements out the Friday before the all Ireland final
    YES TWENTY EIGHT PAGE SUPPLEMENT
    Twas unbelievable but only for it being limerick as you expect that with them, comes with the territory

The senior all Ireland preview for kilkenny they had a twenty page supplements
    For a semi final only kilkenny must have been laughing at it
    They never learn though
    Twenty page pull out for a senior game yet weeks later they go eight pages more for a minor final
    It was imo a bit much
    Ten pages would have done ot a bit more
    They never learn imo

This victory and harty final appearance has ti be recognised simply has to,over the famine we had but once kept in perspective it's fine
    It's fine to raise any expectation of a team after a win and yesterday justify that
    I think they should beat thurles as on paper stronger team and results show they have been the most consistent team in the harty cup
    They of course have ti turn up on the day

Like limerick last year I expected them beat cork as they were just better team
    That's not over hyping then nut realistic assement imo

Overhyped is twenty eight page pull out
    Cork should be sensible and let's not become the Limerick equivalent when it comes to hype and learn from their mistake
    It's natural yesterday win is going release lot joy and emotions, I feel it myself but last thing they need is be In media too much

Again well done to all and a thank you to everyone of them involved on field play and behind the scenes
    Whatever happens here on they have done cork hurling proud

1. Dalton (FON)
    2. Murphy (Sars)/ Cahalane (Bars)
    3. Cahill (Cloyne)/Griffin (Carrigaline)
    4. Smyth (Midleton)
    5. Hennessey ( Bars)/O’Keeffe (Nap)
    6. O’Leary (Valley Rvs)
    7. D O’Brien (Killeagh/Its’a)/Walsh (Bride Rvs)
    8. Kingston ( Douglas)
    9. Lowney (Clon)
    10. M Coleman (Blarney)
    11. O’Mahony (Newtown)
    12. Flynn (Erins Own)/Cormack (Rockies)
    13. Gunning (Nap)/ Fitzgibbon (Charleville)
    14. O’Halloran (Rockies)
    15. Looney (Aghada)

1. Kenneally could yet play in goals with Dalton a serious option in the forward line. This was done at the U15 tournament a few years ago and worked well but Dalton is twice as good outfield now as he was back then.

2. Murphy played well last year at the edge of the square for Sars in minor championship, Cahalane, strong and fast like his brother lack of hurling all year around at a high level and football may be a problem.

3. If Cahill is gone Griffin will probably play full back, might be tempted to play Cashman there but imo when the ground is hard he will be caught for a turn of pace at this level.

4. Smyth steady, strong can be used as a man marker on Hennessey/Nolan Tipp if we get to play them.

5. Hennessey does all the simple things right. Walsh played senior with his club last year was not involved not sure if he is back in the running.

6. O’Leary rock solid centre back, commands the centre, if in trouble with a very fast cf could be switched with Lowney.

7. O’Brien has improved in the last six months Harty run has stood to him should nail down a wing back spot. O’Keeffe has gone back a bit not very dominating for AG but still worth a shout.

8. Kingston could play anywhere from 5 to 15, Midfield has been a slight problem with this age group should do a good job allowing to ghost forward when in attack.
    9. Lowney only problem is he will be a dual and coming from Clon football will take priority but as good a hurler at this age as you will see.

10. Coleman lighting fast with plenty of skill, may be unheard of but should be in contention, can also play midfield with a swap with Kingston.

11. O’Mahony seems to be playing well, always scores and has a good hand.

12. Flynn going well in training I hear, plenty of pace and can take a score from anywhere inside 60 yards. Cormack opted out of development squads the last few years I think, big strong ball winner, well capable of taking a score, pace may be a problem when the ground drys up will be interesting to see his displays with Roco in the coming weeks.

13. Gunning pick of the 17s, has the potential to be a super corner forward, should make the step up. Fitzgibbon similar player to Gunning could very well be a toss-up between them, made a difference when introduced in county final last year, very accurate free taker within 60 yards.

14. Halloran could be played at 10, with Cormack at 11 and Mahony at his best position at 14, very good player will be to the fore with Christians in there bit for glory , also a talented out half could lose him to rugby in the long run.

15. Looney a surprise selection for some with last year’s minor panel but this lad has every skill in the book, plenty of pace if he becomes more direct when advancing on goal can be a serious threat.

Cashman could be used to upset a forward, with O’Leary from Castlelyons and Harrington who played all championship games for O’Neill last year also an option.
    English good player will be there abouts but needs to insert more intensity into performances, watched O’Sullivan on Saturday for the second time was excellent will be in with a shout.
    Don’t count out Billy Dunne has super potential seems to be hard to get it out but don’t be surprised if he wears no 14 in the first game. Also Beasung 17 (Russell Rvs) and Howard (Dromtarriff) could feature.
    Don’t think I have left anyone out maybe one or two 17s if Manley and McCarthy were to return from the round ball they would be there also.
    One of the strongest panels of minors in years should make Croker. Limerick have never beaten Cork at this age as far as I know, Tipp beat them in Forristal, 15 final and 16 semi-final with only a puck of a ball in all games, Kilkenny also strong at this age, What do you think TTM??

• Advertisement

Froggyno11 wrote: »
    1. Dalton (FON)
    4. Smyth (Midleton)
    6. O’Leary (Valley Rvs)
    8. Kingston ( Douglas)
    9. Lowney (Clon)
    10. M Coleman (Blarney)
    11. O’Mahony (Newtown)
    14. O’Halloran (Rockies)
    15. Looney (Aghada)

1. Kenneally could yet play in goals with Dalton a serious option in the forward line. This was done at the U15 tournament a few years ago and worked well but Dalton is twice as good outfield now as he was back then.

2. Murphy played well last year at the edge of the square for Sars in minor championship, Cahalane, strong and fast like his brother lack of hurling all year around at a high level and football may be a problem.

3. If Cahill is gone Griffin will probably play full back, might be tempted to play Cashman there but imo when the ground is hard he will be caught for a turn of pace at this level.

4. Smyth steady, strong can be used as a man marker on Hennessey/Nolan Tipp if we get to play them.

5. Hennessey does all the simple things right. Walsh played senior with his club last year was not involved not sure if he is back in the running.

6. O’Leary rock solid centre back, commands the centre, if in trouble with a very fast cf could be switched with Lowney.

7. O’Brien has improved in the last six months Harty run has stood to him should nail down a wing back spot. O’Keeffe has gone back a bit not very dominating for AG but still worth a shout.

8. Kingston could play anywhere from 5 to 15, Midfield has been a slight problem with this age group should do a good job allowing to ghost forward when in attack.
    9. Lowney only problem is he will be a dual and coming from Clon football will take priority but as good a hurler at this age as you will see.

10. Coleman lighting fast with plenty of skill, may be unheard of but should be in contention, can also play midfield with a swap with Kingston.

12. Flynn going well in training I hear, plenty of pace and can take a score from anywhere inside 60 yards. Cormack opted out of development squads the last few years I think, big strong ball winner, well capable of taking a score, pace may be a problem when the ground drys up will be interesting to see his displays with Roco in the coming weeks.

13. Gunning pick of the 17s, has the potential to be a super corner forward, should make the step up. Fitzgibbon similar player to Gunning could very well be a toss-up between them, made a difference when introduced in county final last year, very accurate free taker within 60 yards.

14. Halloran could be played at 10, with Cormack at 11 and Mahony at his best position at 14, very good player will be to the fore with Christians in there bit for glory , also a talented out half could lose him to rugby in the long run.

15. Looney a surprise selection for some with last year’s minor panel but this lad has every skill in the book, plenty of pace if he becomes more direct when advancing on goal can be a serious threat.

Cashman could be used to upset a forward, with O’Leary from Castlelyons and Harrington who played all championship games for O’Neill last year also an option.
    English good player will be there abouts but needs to insert more intensity into performances, watched O’Sullivan on Saturday for the second time was excellent will be in with a shout.
    Don’t count out Billy Dunne has super potential seems to be hard to get it out but don’t be surprised if he wears no 14 in the first game. Also Beasung 17 (Russell Rvs) and Howard (Dromtarriff) could feature.
    Don’t think I have left anyone out maybe one or two 17s if Manley and McCarthy were to return from the round ball they would be there also.
    One of the strongest panels of minors in years should make Croker. Limerick have never beaten Cork at this age as far as I know, Tipp beat them in Forristal, 15 final and 16 semi-final with only a puck of a ball in all games, Kilkenny also strong at this age, What do you think TTM??

Cahill not on panel

Very good team hard to disagree very hard pick this year

Coleman lad from blarney is terrific hurler player under twenty one last year club but I don't think on it
    Young shine terrific hurler from blarney also but next year imo could be

Donal English will rattle it been superb in county minor final with super points from play

Cormac played himself on the starting team imo

Beaausang anther top player

Flynn is awesome in the air some hand on him
    That was a very detailed post and brilliant read

Manley is soccer oriented
    Great player
    Ger he's father new cappoqin coach next year

Tipperary are imo cork only danger in munster

Kilkenny are the only team I'd fear in the all Ireland but cork minor teams always has a good record v them and I'd love to play them
    Howard terrific player but was not on original panel and landers either
    So much competition up front

Dalton played out field last week challenge v lord mayo selection
    He's scoring from play has not been on par with others so imo too many better forwards but has ti be goalie and long distance free take where he was sensational all year in harty free taking abs side line cuts
    Side line balls he is awesmoric imo

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

TTM 1 - I think that we can reasonably contend that Cork were missing 7 players - Shields, Galvin, Tomas Clancy, Donncha O Connor, Paddy Kelly, Dan Goulding, Paul Kerrigan (not fit enough to start) - 5 of those are AI winners. You could argue that Deane should be included as he might have got the nod ahead of Maguire. So call it 8.

Dublin were missing 9 players that started v Donegal - Cluxo, McMahon, McCarthy, MDMcA, O Sullivan, O Flynn, Connolly & 2 Brogans - Fitzsimmons was on the bench yesterday.

Dublin used yesterday's squad for 5 competitive OB Cup games including a good extra time final win v Kildare.

Cork had little from the McGrath cup with very few of yesterdays team getting game time.
    Dublin are super fit but so are Cork now too (credit Pat Flanagan) - IMO Dublin were better prepared and sharper as u'd expect after 5 games - this showed in the first half but once Cork cleared the ring rustiness by HT - they were the better outfit and totally dominate the last quarter.

Cuthbert has got a lot of deserved criticism and one swallow etc but praise the bridge as u cross it - It was a good performance by players and management. I agree with your summary but I don't go with the biew of some that it was an experimental Dublin side v an experienced Cork side.

Possibly need him at No.1 anyway would be familiar with playing with the full back line unlike Kenneally.
    Hes def in the top 3 ball strikers in the county, distance and accuracy awesome was good enough to be No.16 on last years panel.
    This team is capable of ending the drought at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

What McCarthy has been lost to the "round ball"? Adam O' Donovan of the Glen gone to Cobh Ramblers?
    I thought Limerick were going to be seriously strong but the shafting of Jerry Wallace will set them well back.

TTM 1 - I think that we can reasonably contend that Cork were missing 7 players - Shields, Galvin, Tomas Clancy, Donncha O Connor, Paddy Kelly, Dan Goulding, Paul Kerrigan (not fit enough to start) - 5 of those are AI winners. You could argue that Deane should be included as he might have got the nod ahead of Maguire. So call it 8.

Dublin were missing 9 players that started v Donegal - Cluxo, McMahon, McCarthy, MDMcA, O Sullivan, O Flynn, Connolly & 2 Brogans - Fitzsimmons was on the bench yesterday.

Dublin used yesterday's squad for 5 competitive OB Cup games including a good extra time final win v Kildare.

Cork had little from the McGrath cup with very few of yesterdays team getting game time.
    Dublin are super fit but so are Cork now too (credit Pat Flanagan) - IMO Dublin were better prepared and sharper as u'd expect after 5 games - this showed in the first half but once Cork cleared the ring rustiness by HT - they were the better outfit and totally dominate the last quarter.

Cuthbert has got a lot of deserved criticism and one swallow etc but praise the bridge as u cross it - It was a good performance by players and management. I agree with your summary but I don't go with the biew of some that it was an experimental Dublin side v an experienced Cork side.
    But look at who corks lad you mentioned replaced to Dublin

Clancy is brilliant but he's replaced dorman so equal out

Hurley is as good goulding
    Collins and Kelly wouldn't start together as Cuthbhert prefers colm driscoll
    Collins gave brilliant display as good as Kelly

The only ones cork made different were galvin ans shields but we still don't know if all fit who cuthbhert pick

Some of the positioning look at Gary was imo out default in Sullivan went corner Clancy was out
    Keep mind Clancy would started other wise st corner back

The half back line also bar Sullivan would have cadogan at six but when Sullivan went off yes it changed

Look at midfield Collins was put back when cork had Murphy or donoughge bring on

Yesterday was one win yer could easily lost

Point you make regards Dublin shows young lads got game time but cork are trained since November Gary

The much maligned ken who I'm still waiting for you to tell me who starts ahead of him? Saved cork yesterday

Dublin clear as day trying out new stuff as went short despite better midfield as want options and plan b bear kerry in august as that's who thry will meet

As media said during week league better test them than leinster championship
    They can afford try players as they know the spine of their team

Cork in year two don't in half back line still nor settled nor is midfield

When you see tomas o se lauding cork defence as good time to be wary
    Wesgie fogarty last April after cork beat kerry said kerry miles cork I'm development
    Gary cork fans imo with respect don't need be naive to be gullible and be made fool of in swallow an anchor in talk will be cork have been hugely impressive yesterday when last year we beat Dublin and look what happened

Have we learned anything from last year?

Cork key men absent wouldn't added bar two to the team but no one solved midfield
    Deane remember he didn't rate last year

Dublin cluxton and McCauley and flynn and Brennan and brogan etc would make huge difference them

Worry is cork see eleven team beat mayo started but just beat under strength Dublin to what can field by two points at home yet Dublin had three goal chances

If I see corner being turned I'll be first gladly to say it

But cork on one performance v Dublin suddenly all the problems go away
    We need be realistic now be honest

Kerry loose mayo different as unlike they cork they know their team and proven coaches

Jury is still out
    I'm sorry if this upset anyone geuinely but I'm not one game going say all fine for then if next week if beaten we have critize again

That's just running with hare and chasing with the hound

What McCarthy has been lost to the "round ball"? Adam O' Donovan of the Glen gone to Cobh Ramblers?
    I thought Limerick were going to be seriously strong but the shafting of Jerry Wallace will set them well back.

Adam is soccer yeah and highly talented north cork football lad could be lost soccer as has overseas interest

Wallis knew limerick inside out and cork same huge bonus against cork in knew our strength and weakness

Shoe on other foot now as imo he's club man involved cork minors I'd they need advice limerick strength etc cork with Wallis can get advice

Cork have players and panel as proven by schools and better management imo than limerick

Also last year huge to cork just loose narrow defeat
    I don't do moral victory but cork had two major injuries thar night played club Thursday Friday Saturday and Sunday and Monday unlike limerick over cork senior waterford replay yet they still managed push limerick all way in defeat
    In limerick

This year they won't have club commitment so soon hopefully, huge success at school so far and belive that every odds against them last year they pushed limerick close and imo that huge confidence this year as limerick are at home ist up and limerick aren't as strong with exceptional Morrissey lynches Lyons gillane Cosgrove etc all overage so imo they will win in cork

Tipp favourite to bear waterford but imo waterford are due win v limerick and could beat them in a play off
    I have no fear cork going limerick and winning if needs be though twice

• Advertisement

Conor McCarthy as far as I know is with Cork City.
    Limerick minors are like the good Clare 21 teams end of a successful few years.
    The best hurlers on their Harty teams this year were last years minors Lynch, Nash ans La Touche while for the Cork schools most of them are current minors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Andy walsh sticking his hand up for selection,

haugney will prob end up on the panel aswell for summer,

lawton not up to it, as said before,

kelleher big lad,could do damage as impact sub,

Conor McCarthy as far as I know is with Cork City.
    Limerick minors are like the good Clare 21 teams end of a successful few years.
    The best hurlers on their Harty teams this year were last years minors Lynch, Nash ans La Touche while for the Cork schools most of them are current minors.
    Yeah I'd agree but clare under twenty ones have good coach in Seanie mac mahon and malonry from last yea
    year

Limerick minors have new coaching and management ticket

Conor Mccarthy ex football by way was in new Zealand study coaching over there with top rubgy team

Making terrific coach in gaa imo

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Andy walsh sticking his hand up for selection,

haugney will prob end up on the panel aswell for summer,

lawton not up to it, as said before,

kelleher big lad,could do damage as impact sub,
    Good piece by John horgan in echo tonight but I was amused when came lawton usual stuff hard working
    He always get that view despite poor game
    Lawton cian Mccarthy if make panel means cork learned nothing from last year

I'm hearing if true walsh made it

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭It makes sense

Very good post

I think every cork fan would love be proven wrong by cuthbhert

I'd love to say here I was wrong if he successful

What do you make cork senior hurling tactically and richestown chances harty cup and all Ireland now???

Cork senior hurling in a good place at the moment although full back remains my prime concern think Joyce should start there I know you think Cahalane but IMO I think Joyce as he would hold his position better, not saying Cahalane is not a good choice as they are the only two at the moment in that position who could do the job.

Rest of team has plenty of options I would leave Hoggie out first few league matches hope he then comes back firing plenty of others who are good free takers.

As for Rochestown I said they would win semi final and see no reason they cannot beat Thurles in the final. At present bar injuries they tick all the boxes, teamwork, hurling to burn, good attitude and good trainers with good tactics. I would hope for a 5/6 point win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Jerry was always leaving the minor coaches job for Middleton, it was the underage academy director job they 'relieved' him of his duties...it will be fairly close I would think between limerick and cork, limerick would have that bit of experience from last year but cork would have greater talent as a whole IMO, looking forward to seeing what daly brings to the party...how many of the cork team from last year are still there?

Jerry was always leaving the minor coaches job for Middleton, it was the underage academy director job they 'relieved' him of his duties...it will be fairly close I would think between limerick and cork, limerick would have that bit of experience from last year but cork would have greater talent as a whole IMO, looking forward to seeing what daly brings to the party...how many of the cork team from last year are still there?
    That is not entire correct he would have stayed with minors in a capacity as needed as huge connection with team build up and unlike some believes in loyalty

Answer your next question

Kingston is there as you know got goal last year v limerick
    Looney was a sub
    Dunne and smith were on the panel etc

Key is though management team bar one is the same and they have huge confidence from last year
    Few others were on original panel in February like o leary etc

Now seen as your fast enough just cause I disagree with you call me not once but twice a troll I hope you have common courtesy thank my post for reply to your question please

Thank you I would appreciate it

1. Dalton (FON)
    4. Smyth (Midleton)
    6. O’Leary (Valley Rvs)
    8. Kingston ( Douglas)
    9. Lowney (Clon)
    10. M Coleman (Blarney)
    11. O’Mahony (Newtown)
    14. O’Halloran (Rockies)
    15. Looney (Aghada)

Brendan Mccarthy I forget if he's available has start midfield terrific player captain dean Ryan cup winning midleton team last year

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

TTM - I certainly don't think our management is fine after 1 league win. After the shambles last season, Cuthbert has a lot of convincing to do.

However, I don't think that Dublin were really missing more than us. Also they had far more game time.

It's impossible to say whether our coaching is up to scratch - we'll see.

I don't know if we can replace KOH - we do know that Ken is very poor on kick outs - he was brutal v Tipp last year but he is top quality in every other way. I think we will be at a huge disadvantage unless we can go long. Mayo showed how to deal with the short option by high pressing.

For me, Flanagan and Kate Kirby are top appointments and this has to help.

Cork senior hurling in a good place at the moment although full back remains my prime concern think Joyce should start there I know you think Cahalane but IMO I think Joyce as he would hold his position better, not saying Cahalane is not a good choice as they are the only two at the moment in that position who could do the job.

Rest of team has plenty of options I would leave Hoggie out first few league matches hope he then comes back firing plenty of others who are good free takers.

As for Rochestown I said they would win semi final and see no reason they cannot beat Thurles in the final. At present bar injuries they tick all the boxes, teamwork, hurling to burn, good attitude and good trainers with good tactics. I would hope for a 5/6 point win.
    I'd agree and see your point with Joyce

But as pointed out I'm paper tonight Cahalane done good job on outstanding Dowling as good as you expect he scored nothing

Soon went to half back he cleaned Joyce on one ball peach point

Joyce would be terrific options also but so far Cahalane has handles conlon cunningham and Dowling and passed
    Next up kilkenny full forward
    Cronin if starts for Dublin there be another good test

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

That is not entire correct he would have stayed with minors in a capacity as needed as huge connection with team build up and unlike some believes in loyalty

Answer your next question

Kingston is there as you know got goal last year v limerick
    Looney was a sub
    Dunne and smith were on the panel etc

Key is though management team bar one is the same and they have huge confidence from last year
    Few others were on original panel in February like o leary etc

Now seen as your fast enough just cause I disagree with you call me not once but twice a troll I hope you have common courtesy thank my post for reply to your question please

Thank you I would appreciate it

Thanks for that! Wasn't in the country last year so didn't see cork game, only result...

TTM - I certainly don't think our management is fine after 1 league win. After the shambles last season, Cuthbert has a lot of convincing to do.

However, I don't think that Dublin were really missing more than us. Also they had far more game time.

It's impossible to say whether our coaching is up to scratch - we'll see.

I don't know if we can replace KOH - we do know that Ken is very poor on kick outs - he was brutal v Tipp last year but he is top quality in every other way. I think we will be at a huge disadvantage unless we can go long. Mayo showed how to deal with the short option by high pressing.

For me, Flanagan and Kate Kirby are top appointments and this has to help.
    Kate kirby is but let's keep it I'm perspective
    She outstanding sport physiological and is there since October but thar alone won't help cork

Remember before under counohhan cork has excellent Kevin Clancy who worked with kate and I belive recommend kate to cork

Clancy done great with cork but still didn't make up cork lack tactically nous since and that not Clancy fault

Cuthbhert adding kirby imo is something I'd expect and certainly not something new as cork hurling had one years ago in flannery under o grady

Kirby worked closely annalise Murphy sailor who unlucky in Olympic and is from cork and also worked with Ireland hockey and pentathlon team and course few Ireland golfers

She is brilliant but that's not anything get carried away in cuthbhert still man management and doing coaching it seems so jury is still out

You still don't get it Gary
    Bar galvin and shields who would of added cork set up Sunday better what's available
    Remember o rourke should started but injury forces doc out and o rourke in
    If doc was fit he and o rourke imo should start but they wouldn't have as colm is favourite

Again McCauley brogan flynn Brennan added Dublin hugely
    Who would added to cork
    Kelly yes but no more so than Collins
    Goulding no more than hurley
    Clancy no more than dorman

Remember cork forward only got six play but Dublin poorer front six got twelve from play

Brendan Mccarthy I forget if he's available has start midfield terrific player captain dean Ryan cup winning midleton team last year

Yes I left McCarthy out as he is not in favour with current team management I would have him on the panel as he can play in the full forward line also, Barry (Charleville) Broderick (Fon) nd O'Brien (Douglas) all just falling short.
    The main job for Wallis in Lim was in his office in UL the involvement with the minors would of being a pass time for him, he made huge improvements in the underage/development squads in Lim, all Daly has to do is follow what Wallis left behind, this comes with the question why not give Wallis a similiar role in Cork??

Thanks for that! Wasn't in the country last year so didn't see cork game, only result...

No problem you very welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭zetecescort

Is Shane O'Neill due back for the league? is he injured or just taking a break for the Waterford Crystal games?

• Advertisement

Yes I left McCarthy out as he is not in favour with current team management I would have him on the panel as he can play in the full forward line also, Barry (Charleville) Broderick (Fon) nd O'Brien (Douglas) all just falling short.
    The main job for Wallis in Lim was in his office in UL the involvement with the minors would of being a pass time for him, he made huge improvements in the underage/development squads in Lim, all Daly has to do is follow what Wallis left behind, this comes with the question why not give Wallis a similiar role in Cork??

That's not entirely correct

I agree regards the players
    Wallis didn't just sit pretty in he's ul office chewing bananas and drinking coffee
    He was every evening training minors on Wednesday Monday or Thursday and was field training
    Ask limerick people he was there

He every Saturday without fail was there from ten to one over seeing academic training and nor jusr pen and paper but actually coaching field drill with various teams

He summer many evening did not finish til after ten yet drive back midleton

On Saturday before played cork was with group full day in morning training session match a v b in secret location

Then group went paint balling
    He declined as was with under age team
    Then he was doing recovery afternoon session with them that day
    He then with other selector travelled to portlaoidae I think watch kilkenny play minor hurling there evening

It's not as easy replace him in jusr walk in to office and take he's seat etc
    This is not Mcdonald where you follow protocol etc
    This is an elite academic structure that will need field training also

He also over saw nutrition side and development academic introduction hurling and coached the coaches
    Daly would been terrific manager with coach beside him
    Daly has nothing do under age coaching in Dublin
    A brilliant manager though

Niall moran would been or declan Fitzgerald brilliant coaches limerick minors

Wallis was asked before but declined as committee to limerick
    I would not be suprised if he was involved in a school or cork team I'm the future

He made peter Dowling captain mideton this year a terrific move as kilkenny player terrific leader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

From last year's panel Dublin were missing the following yesterday.

Alan Brogan
    Bernard Brogan
    Cian O'Sullivan
    Ciaran Reddin
    Darragh Nelson
    Declan O'Mahony
    Diarmuid Connolly
    Emmet O'Conghaile
    Ger Brennan
    James McCarthy
    Kevin Nolan
    Michael Darragh MacAuley
    Niall McGovern
    Nicky Devereux
    Paddy Andrews
    Paul Flynn
    Paul Mannion

Some of those would only be competing for squad places but there's a serious amount of heavy hitters who Dublin didnt have yesterday.

Is Shane O'Neill due back for the league? is he injured or just taking a break for the Waterford Crystal games?

He'll likely be back mid league or after I think
    No worries there he's not gone anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Sunday vs monaghan will be a huge test and give a greater indication of where cork are. They will test cork in 3 areas that we are at least suspect in:
    1. kickouts - malachy o rourke is a proven shrewd manager at this level, he will push up on our kickouts forcing ohallorhan to kick long.
    2. midfield- monaghan will be bigger and more physical in this area then the Dublin pairing on sunday. huge test for young Maguire and presumably fintan with him.
    3. monaghan kickouts - like Dublin and Donegal monghan have a keeper with a good range of kickouts and it will test our sweeper/midfield and middle third.

Monaghan like ourselves sunday will be targeting a home win, this will be a bitter tough game and should show us where we are. If we were to win this I would be very happy and would be somewhat satisfied that things are possibly moving int he right direction. Very difficult to judge the Dublin game bearing in mind how many first teamers they were missing - not dismissing the win it was vital but comes with a huge caveat, a win away vs monghan with a really astute manager would be a far greater win for me.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    From last year's panel Dublin were missing the following yesterday.

Alan Brogan
    Bernard Brogan
    Cian O'Sullivan
    Ciaran Reddin
    Darragh Nelson
    Declan O'Mahony
    Diarmuid Connolly
    Emmet O'Conghaile
    Ger Brennan
    James McCarthy
    Kevin Nolan
    Michael Darragh MacAuley
    Niall McGovern
    Nicky Devereux
    Paddy Andrews
    Paul Flynn
    Paul Mannion

Some of those would only be competing for squad places but there's a serious amount of heavy hitters who Dublin didnt have yesterday.

Thank you for that

Gary just look at that and you will see my point

I'm geuinely nor trying pick holes in cork but I absolutely despise false dawn and reality must over come emotions yesterday and reality is cork had eleven starters from mayo

Connaifhlw didn't even start and he's young talent

Boom what your view on cork from kerry side so far

How as kerry man would you rate George durrant also please

sean mac wrote: »
    Sunday vs monaghan will be a huge test and give a greater indication of where cork are. They will test cork in 3 areas that we are at least suspect in:
    1. kickouts - malachy o rourke is a proven shrewd manager at this level, he will push up on our kickouts forcing ohallorhan to kick long.
    2. midfield- monaghan will be bigger and more physical in this area then the Dublin pairing on sunday. huge test for young Maguire and presumably fintan with him.
    3. monaghan kickouts - like Dublin and Donegal monghan have a keeper with a good range of kickouts and it will test our sweeper/midfield and middle third.

Monaghan like ourselves sunday will be targeting a home win, this will be a bitter tough game and should show us where we are. If we were to win this I would be very happy and would be somewhat satisfied that things are possibly moving int he right direction. Very difficult to judge the Dublin game bearing in mind how many first teamers they were missing - not dismissing the win it was vital but comes with a huge caveat, a win away vs monghan with a really astute manager would be a far greater win for me.

Two poi are two points at end of day but like you sean I'm still be convinced

Once bitten twice shy
    Last year should be a wake up call to all

Where would you play cadogan

Sean what you make richestown weekend??
    Do you think cork minor hurling finally on upward curve

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Two poi are two points at end of day but like you sean I'm still be convinced

Once bitten twice shy
    Last year should be a wake up call to all

Where would you play cadogan

Sean what you make richestown weekend??
    Do you think cork minor hurling finally on upward curve

Brilliant - for me the greatest thing about his display was his kicking which definitely has improved.......playing 1 sport helps!!!! great point near the ned and fair play to tomas o se for spotting it on the sunday programme - he is a FULL BACK and full back only TTM. We have plenty of quality half backs, don't need him out there.
    Roco, don't know much about them but at end of day some classy hurlers and if they beat ard scoil a school who head hunt hurlers in limerick they are well worth a punt. As for cork minor hurling I respect your opinion on the manager, however until I see a cork minor team lift silver ware and lord help us hurl in croke park I will wait.
    Sorry ttm, if your talking about the corn ui mhuiri I think they have a great chance if everyone is fit.

That's not entirely correct

I agree regards the players
    Wallis didn't just sit pretty in he's ul office chewing bananas and drinking coffee
    He was every evening training minors on Wednesday Monday or Thursday and was field training
    Ask limerick people he was there

He every Saturday without fail was there from ten to one over seeing academic training and nor jusr pen and paper but actually coaching field drill with various teams

He summer many evening did not finish til after ten yet drive back midleton

On Saturday before played cork was with group full day in morning training session match a v b in secret location

Then group went paint balling
    He declined as was with under age team
    Then he was doing recovery afternoon session with them that day
    He then with other selector travelled to portlaoidae I think watch kilkenny play minor hurling there evening

It's not as easy replace him in jusr walk in to office and take he's seat etc
    This is not Mcdonald where you follow protocol etc
    This is an elite academic structure that will need field training also

He also over saw nutrition side and development academic introduction hurling and coached the coaches
    Daly would been terrific manager with coach beside him
    Daly has nothing do under age coaching in Dublin
    A brilliant manager though

Niall moran would been or declan Fitzgerald brilliant coaches limerick minors

Wallis was asked before but declined as committee to limerick
    I would not be suprised if he was involved in a school or cork team I'm the future

He made peter Dowling captain mideton this year a terrific move as kilkenny player terrific leader

You picked me up wrong, i didn't for one minute suggest Wallis sat in the office, I met the man in a lim hotel late one Friday nite two years ago he was just finished coaching 17s in UL and was staying in Limerick to get a bus to Laois the following morning at 6am for a U14 blitz, the amount of work the man put in was awesome, Daly will try follow what he has in place but will find it difficult, the main reason why Daly is there is for the senior job in the future if he was that interested in development squads I'm sure Clare would leave him guide them

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

Busy weekend of GAA and only got a chance to sit at my laptop now!

First of all, It was a magnificent win for Rochestown in the Harty Cup semi final.
    IMO they were the way better team throughout. Ard Scoil Ris were dependant on Ronan Lynch and Peter Casey for scores. I thought the Rochestown defence there very solid to be fair with David Griffin and John Cashman to the fore. I thought John O'Sullivan, Blackrock midfield was excellent, nearly my Man of the match. He swept up so much ball and continuously hit in great ball after great ball into the forwards and also got two points himself. Is he involved with Cork minors? Then I thought Shane Kingston showed great leadership in the half forward line. Worked hard throughout, was dangerous and scored 1-3. The full forward line were nippy and quick including Liam O'Sullivan and Sean Power full forward who has a great touch and turn and scored 2 goals and maybe even more. Overall a great win for Rochestown College. Great win for the school and indeed Cork GAA! I think they can beat Thurles in the final and go all the way!

Then to the Waterford Crystal Hurling Final. Limerick were the better team throughout this game. They played the game at a higher intensity. Limerick looking strong and fit this year. Saying that, they had a stronger team out than us. Cian Lynch is looking like the real deal for Limerick. Such a classy player. Could even start for them this year. Gavin O'Mahony seems to like his role at Centre Forward. Their backs didn't give much away. 3-20 from play says a lot about the forwards too. For Cork from what I have seen, Andy Walsh has improved immensely with every game and is a workhorse throughout and I have noticed his decision making is slowly improving too. Definitely worth a look for the league. Collins was shaky in goals, got caught for one goal and nearly a second. Full back line were okay. O'Donoghue probably not up to it at the moment. Half back line were in trouble for a lot of the game. Mark Ellis and Christopher Joyce made a big difference when they came on both physically and in experience. Lorcan not a centre back. O'Sullivan is a bit light and O'Connor not fit enough but good hurlers to be fair. Cian McCarthy played very well to be fair to the man. If we can get consistency from him he would be an addition to panel. Hopefully he can stand Championship pace come the summer as he is well able to win ball and take a score. Full forward line were poor. Horgan and Harnedy made a difference when they came on. Both are looking strong. A lot to work on but early days yet, with the League next to look forward to.

Then the Cork Footballers v Dublin in the League. A great win, a much needed win. There was a good atmosphere in Pairc Ui Rinn with a good Dubs crowd down. Dublin were a really fit young side with Dean Rock and Kevin McMenaman causing havoc and at times Cork looked under a bit of pressure but in fairness in key periods they drove on and pulled out a win. Ken O'Hallaron was solid out. Cadogan was our fittest player, driving out with the ball all the time, tough on the tackle and got an important point. Really impressed with Conor Dorman. Scored 1-2, worked hard all day. Ian Maguire tried hard all day to be fair but seemed to be caught for fitness in the second half but can be worked on and is an option for midfield. Kerrigan made a difference when he came on. Looked nice and fit and showed massive pace in times we needed those attacking runs. Mark Collins and the two O'Driscolls likewise, playing defensively and trying hard all the time. Brian Hurley made a lot of good runs for the ball. Scored nice points. If he get more ball into him, he has the potential to damage defences. Colm O'Neill was classy out. Scored a lovely point in the first half, set up the goal too. His free-taking was top quality with a lovely style and proved very important for us. Overall it is nice to see us beat the Dubs and and get a good start to the league. Hopefully we can drive on now and begin the start of a very positive year for Cork Football in both the League and the Championship!

• Advertisement

You picked me up wrong, i didn't for one minute suggest Wallis sat in the office, I met the man in a lim hotel late one Friday nite two years ago he was just finished coaching 17s in UL and was staying in Limerick to get a bus to Laois the following morning at 6am for a U14 blitz, the amount of work the man put in was awesome, Daly will try follow what he has in place but will find it difficult, the main reason why Daly is there is for the senior job in the future if he was that interested in development squads I'm sure Clare would leave him guide them

Fair enough

Yeah he's unbelievable
    Such charismatic geuine gentleman but he's ruthless in the field

Agreed totally I heard recently that he will be limed up limerick job and I think if tj has any bit run bad results he will see how loyal board are

They won't have moments thought get rid of him

Clare won't mind imo I'd he went to limerick as Davy will likely have clare job with father as chairman and sister in supporters club as long as he wants

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement