Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I have heard directly from a few lads themselves that their inclusion in the panel is dependent on the upcoming fitz games starting today. I can't say names because I'd hate to jinx anyone. But JBM will be watching some of the games very closely.

Aye, this won't be the final panel, we'll see that after Fitz plus a few league games. Besides the 8-9 lads on the panel from last year, there are half a dozen more like Alan Dennehy, Shane O'Keeffe, Jon Cronin etc that hopefully management is looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I'd agree with you that Ken's confidence in his kick-outs is shot. But this goes back to Killarney 2013 when we had a reasonable pairing to aim at. Ken had waited for ages to fulfill his dream and get the Cork GK slot - it was made clear to him that he was dropped due to his kick-outs. That will have been on his mind even after A Quirke retired.

I saw Ken's kicking literally disentegrate at the Tipp game last year - It was surreal - MF players were making rehearsed runs and Ken was kicking the ball into the spaces they had vacated - you could see the players wonder what the hell is going on here - it was a shambles and the players didn't know what to do. The Kerry game was as bad.

When Ken comes under pressure, his kicking goes to pieces - whilst the fielding limitations of the MF'ers doesn't help, it's not the real cause.

Proper coaching might sort it - I don't know - Kate Kirby may have a role to play.

However, we have a problem and it's not good enough to say who's better and that he's a superb shot stopper. We can't win enough possession from our own re-starts as things stand. So defending well and having great forwards is immaterial.

It's either sort Ken out or replace him - Cuthbert is doing neither and that's not good enough IMO

You are totally absolutely way off in your expectations of kate kirby role or the complete failure realise that's just as good as a phycologist in Kevin Clancy couldn't help tactically shambles we had under counohhan
    Kate kirby is a sports physiological

There job is to install belive and confidence and build mental strength in a player

However it's useless if players are not supported tactically or given support

Its bite a like a jockry haa a bad fall he's looses he nerve
    A sports physiologicalst can help him
    He's told that's risk but he's good that he'll have more winners than falls

However if he's I'm a stable where he's continues to be put up on poor horses that keep falling no physiological sports help will be any good for he's confidence and he of course will doubt can he actually ride a horse that doesn't fall

That kerry game you mention cork midfield was poor enough bar walsh
    Yes Alan o Connor lauded for the sub appearance
    Game was over kerry as I saud then didn't not give a monkey and as I said then and I was right Dublin absolutely exposed him in croke park as great player he was the legs were gone

You need to research the issue a bit more Gary in terms ken problem imo

Aidan Walsh said in interview clearly he had no session bar just two with football up to tipp game added in kerry game a similar scenario and it was not ideal for midfield as they didn't have cohesion

Now who fault is that after the shambles of dualism

Cuthbhert for he's role with football not ken
    I see everybody media now are wise men after dualism won't work

With respect lot those bar a few were the ones that advocated this and totally ignored the clear warning this would be never work as I have given a detailed post December last year clearly showing why it was destined to fail

Ken kicking in training at ul camps was fine as cork adoption system at time call crabbing in a way where one group would run to a while other group run different route he could vary it

I'm championship games couldn't work as elite opponents actually had a midfield that training together and of course had much better players than the likes of Sullivan and gould

Again if you want drop ken who do you start???
    You're creating the question that Ken is not up it fair enough that your opinion but you say that saying nobody replace him is not issue
    Course it is you drop ken who do you start
    Please name a better player and a goalie has other attributes than kicking

Martin will be fine keeper but has work he's way up
    So who do you want as a keeper???
    You must have a replacement?
    To say imo that you unsure but drop ken is not much good imo as cork have to have a keeper

No point being guy to say drop ken but you admit hsnahran form dropped
    So give me a clear replacement for him
    Do you start hsnahran in this hope he'll suddenly turn gould and the likes of cussen to Intercounty midfielder while then having a shot stopper who likely least concede two goals as he's poor shot stopper to ken

I said this Sunday most people practical never said ken saved cork Sunday thry just don't want acknowledge he's saves but criticism his kick-outs when yes he poor but only half the problem and can't improve with options available to him or concerns regards coaching football team this year with cuthbhert

And no just to confirm kate kirby superb in her field is NOT DOING FOOTBALL COACHING or likely be in midfield for cork
    She imo has nothing to do with this or same Kevin Clancy had nothing to do with aidan Walsh to fully realise potential as footballer as cork under counohhan never had a cian o Neill and of course Clancy had nothing to so with Walsh being played as a full forward and central forward when he's only position was a midfielder and in later part career a centre back

wackokid wrote: »
    Garry you are asking for the impossible. Nobody expects Cubby to drop his clubmate and presumably his friend. Too late now to teach Ken anything and to be fair, he did hit his outfield men accurately with two or three long ones last Sunday.
    I think at this stage we are stuck with 'the devil you know' syndrome. After all he hasn't inflicted a Durcan mis hit on us ....YET

That's the essence of it
    He actually hit he's targets twice when went long but problem isn't he's kickouts in not that bad problem I'd cork have no one to win them bar maguire

Cussen and gould to Buckley and moran see the difference it's huge

You could put cluxton in goal with cork and he would actually imo be made look poor

That'd like putting dan carter in Scotland team threw years ago and saying he can't get back line moving

As brilliant as he's is that team three years ago in back couldn't even score a try most games

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/johnny-crowley-impressed-by-cork-hurlings-new-blood-310789.html

Good read

Mccarthy seen as goalie imo clear sign Collins be facilities as imo Mccarthy won't make championship cut in he won't be forward

Collins is superb imo but I feel for Darren McCarthy in he's club form forward kind went against him in seen as forward and jack all trades master none and will I fear be dropped

I think Collins needs to learn from the scenario imo and he should saying club down line wants play goal only for club as this keeper half forward dual role imo won't be good long run

Declan Dalton is another example
    Brilliant goalie but seen half forward also

At senior these lads have choose one position and stick with it

Orizio totally agree o keoffe and john cronin deserves chances

Panel will hopefully have then and barry added in the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Garry you are asking for the impossible. Nobody expects Cubby to drop his clubmate and presumably his friend. Too late now to teach Ken anything and to be fair, he did hit his outfield men accurately with two or three long ones last Sunday.
    I think at this stage we are stuck with 'the devil you know' syndrome. After all he hasn't inflicted a Durcan mis hit on us ....YET

This argument is bit like which came first, the chicken or the egg. You can argue that Ken's kick-outs are poor or that he is made look bad by the inability of MFer's to field the ball.

Whether Ken is a friend and clubman of Cuthbert is immaterial - there's 3 other selectors.

MDMcA is not a huge man and not a superb high fielder - mind you he's not bad however Cluxton waits until someone makes the run and he can judge it to perfection and the ball and man arrive to the target area at the same time - this gives the target MF'er a slight edge as he runs and gets away from his marker. Other teams are following suit. He often hits Connolly running from deep as the MF'er run wide clearing a path.
    This will improve the success rate of the more compact mobile lad like Goold.

It requires great accuracy from the GK and huge drilling and preparation by the coach.

When ur MF'ers are average like ours it increases the need for accuracy and drills.

IMO - it's crazy to just say Ken has no targets. We are not doing the drills perhaps because Ken can't kick accurately under pressure.

TTM - I realise that AW had limited preparation but he had a league campaigh and League semi where he played half the league games - there was time to develop the strategy - obviously not as much time as Cuthbert would have liked.

It's not correct to dismiss any input from K Kirby - u said that his confidence is gone and I agree - that is one of the areas a sports psychologist is there for. If not for the likes of that then what for ?

I don't know if Hanrahan, Lordan or Martin could do the job that's required. IMO if Hanrahan hasn't the skill-set then he shouldn't be on the panel. Any IC sub keeper must be good shot stopper - to have 1 poor kicker is bad enough but if both of them can't kick then it's crazy stuff.

This argument is bit like which came first, the chicken or the egg. You can argue that Ken's kick-outs are poor or that he is made look bad by the inability of MFer's to field the ball.

Whether Ken is a friend and clubman of Cuthbert is immaterial - there's 3 other selectors.

MDMcA is not a huge man and not a superb high fielder - mind you he's not bad however Cluxton waits until someone makes the run and he can judge it to perfection and the ball and man arrive to the target area at the same time - this gives the target MF'er a slight edge as he runs and gets away from his marker. Other teams are following suit. He often hits Connolly running from deep as the MF'er run wide clearing a path.
    This will improve the success rate of the more compact mobile lad like Goold.

It requires great accuracy from the GK and huge drilling and preparation by the coach.

When ur MF'ers are average like ours it increases the need for accuracy and drills.

IMO - it's crazy to just say Ken has no targets. We are not doing the drills perhaps because Ken can't kick accurately under pressure.

TTM - I realise that AW had limited preparation but he had a league campaigh and League semi where he played half the league games - there was time to develop the strategy - obviously not as much time as Cuthbert would have liked.

It's not correct to dismiss any input from K Kirby - u said that his confidence is gone and I agree - that is one of the areas a sports psychologist is there for. If not for the likes of that then what for ?

I don't know if Hanrahan, Lordan or Martin could do the job that's required. IMO if Hanrahan hasn't the skill-set then he shouldn't be on the panel. Any IC sub keeper must be good shot stopper - to have 1 poor kicker is bad enough but if both of them can't kick then it's crazy stuff.
    But Gary that the nub of the issue your adamant ken ie not up to it yet you don't know who is the answer

To solve any problems you must have a solution
    If ken best we got half loaf better none at all in you work you got

This is not like midfield issue where gould cussen are poor but cork have actually better midfielder off the panel

Ken I'd the only option
    Your saying drop ken, with no replacement ready
    This is elite Intercounty football were talking about

The kate kirby issues you imo are not understand the concept of her role
    It's building confidence, mental strength, setting goals etc, dealing with adversity etc

She can do all that yes but how will that help if ken kick long kick out and we're dominated in the centre
    So who do we blame kate kirby as say her targets are not being met

Imagine aidan Walsh scenario just suppose he went to Clancy and got goal makes him better mentally player wise etc
    Then v Galway he'd player centre forward and absolutely made look awful
    Now Clancy can make him a better strength character but he's nothing to do with the actual skill set of coaching the talents of walsh and actually improving he's kicking which never improved as imo was reflector poor coaching in cork that was never identified and than appalling absolutely appalling decision play a guy who kicking poor in creative centre forward role

He's decision making was poor also and while hr can be helped by Clancy develop that composure etc and ability to adapt etc it can't work when he's being asked played centre forward role that simply he's football instinct and skillet actually conflict with role centre forward

Good sports physiologicalst will tell you make decisions take ownership and grow as a leader and belive your strength and this will get you through it and when you struggling do what you do best

However when centre forward how can he do what he's does best lord skies and kicking a ball when he's poor at that
    Strength character from physiological help will mean he won't give up and take bad game top bad once not keep happening but nothing do with actually the concepts of kicking a ball and creative instinct as footballer

They work natural strength you have and fear kicking long ken won't be fully solved until he has coherent effective midfield

Sports physiologicalst concepts role must be understood
    I go to one and say I want to fly a plane she can say you gor to belive you can do it
    Why not

However she will advise you get training etc and learn fly
    I can't just hop I'm plane fly it cause she made me belief I can do it
    I got learn and there's another process in training fly I have do from other experts that physiological can't do

Same with Ken he can be developed mental football support but he needs support football coach and midfield
    I belive I can fly a plane I still need a co pilot for the boeing
    Ive confidence from the physiological but need a crew competent enough to support me in my role

Who at midfield and in coaching supports ken
    Who doing football coaching
    Apparently cuthbhert
    Look at the problem break down its components and you see this is not just ken faults

I never dismissed kirby role I lauded her with praise and big sport science but I fully understand what her role is what's she can change and what she can't

Your actually imo misconception of her role and due this imo if same problem exists year time she be blamed when be fair she has nothing do current problems st midfield absolutely nothing at all

The way you taking cork football resolves around kate kirby
    She is part of the set up and vital but so are other areas in fairness
    A clock normal needs three hands to work
    Each hand just as important
    Kate is not the sole answers to cork problems

Gould making runs is all well and good but tell how many runs did he make big games

You just identified Dublin are effectively coaching drills and your spot on
    Who cork football coach?
    Just think about this
    Again leave kate kirby out of the equation

We have problems but let's not drop ken ot sack kate if goes pear shaped

Look at support structure or imo lack of it imo with proven coach and midfield

But Gary that the nub of the issue your adamant ken ie not up to it yet you don't know who is the answer

To solve any problems you must have a solution
    If ken best we got half loaf better none at all in you work you got

This is not like midfield issue where gould cussen are poor but cork have actually better midfielder off the panel

Ken I'd the only option
    Your saying drop ken, with no replacement ready
    This is elite Intercounty football were talking about

The kate kirby issues you imo are not understand the concept of her role
    It's building confidence, mental strength, setting goals etc, dealing with adversity etc

She can do all that yes but how will that help if ken kick long kick out and we're dominated in the centre
    So who do we blame kate kirby as say her targets are not being met

Imagine aidan Walsh scenario just suppose he went to Clancy and got goal makes him better mentally player wise etc
    Then v Galway he'd player centre forward and absolutely made look awful
    Now Clancy can make him a better strength character but he's nothing to do with the actual skill set of coaching the talents of walsh and actually improving he's kicking which never improved as imo was reflector poor coaching in cork that was never identified and than appalling absolutely appalling decision play a guy who kicking poor in creative centre forward role

He's decision making was poor also and while hr can be helped by Clancy develop that composure etc and ability to adapt etc it can't work when he's being asked played centre forward role that simply he's football instinct and skillet actually conflict with role centre forward

Good sports physiologicalst will tell you make decisions take ownership and grow as a leader and belive your strength and this will get you through it and when you struggling do what you do best

However when centre forward how can he do what he's does best lord skies and kicking a ball when he's poor at that
    Strength character from physiological help will mean he won't give up and take bad game top bad once not keep happening but nothing do with actually the concepts of kicking a ball and creative instinct as footballer

They work natural strength you have and fear kicking long ken won't be fully solved until he has coherent effective midfield

Sports physiologicalst concepts role must be understood
    I go to one and say I want to fly a plane she can say you gor to belive you can do it
    Why not

However she will advise you get training etc and learn fly
    I can't just hop I'm plane fly it cause she made me belief I can do it
    I got learn and there's another process in training fly I have do from other experts that physiological can't do

Same with Ken he can be developed mental football support but he needs support football coach and midfield
    I belive I can fly a plane I still need a co pilot for the boeing
    Ive confidence from the physiological but need a crew competent enough to support me in my role

Who at midfield and in coaching supports ken
    Who doing football coaching
    Apparently cuthbhert
    Look at the problem break down its components and you see this is not just ken faults

I never dismissed kirby role I lauded her with praise and big sport science but I fully understand what her role is what's she can change and what she can't

Your actually imo misconception of her role and due this imo if same problem exists year time she be blamed when be fair she has nothing do current problems st midfield absolutely nothing at all

The way you taking cork football resolves around kate kirby
    She is part of the set up and vital but so are other areas in fairness
    A clock normal needs three hands to work
    Each hand just as important
    Kate is not the sole answers to cork problems

TTM - I've no misconception about K Kirby's role - We both agree that Ken's confidence is shot - and that's an area that a sports psychologist can work on. That's a very simple thesis and we don't need to complicate it.

It's possible there may not be a better altenative than Ken - there's only one way to find out. Cuthbert may be a good coach - I don't know and maybe if Ken works on this with the MR'ers - we can develop it as Dublin have done.
    I'm saying that it isn't working now and it needs to work if we are to seriously compete - we must fix it or replace Ken if a better alternative is available.

TTM - I've no misconception about K Kirby's role - We both agree that Ken's confidence is shot - and that's an area that a sports psychologist can work on. That's a very simple thesis and we don't need to complicate it.

It's possible there may not be a better altenative than Ken - there's only one way to find out. Cuthbert may be a good coach - I don't know and maybe if Ken works on this with the MR'ers - we can develop it as Dublin have done.
    I'm saying that it isn't working now and it needs to work if we are to seriously compete - we must fix it or replace Ken if a better alternative is available.

I agree totally with that but how can you give a guy confidence to kick long when he has no midfield aim at

For a guy with confidence issues clear day with town better kicking long as Donovan aim at or in fact actually kicked sixty fives over the bar
    It's amazing confidence issues is in cork more so
    The key difference imo is that

He'll never have confidence if gould cussen imo are kicking long

And your right there is a absolutely no need over complicate pretty logic fact kate is there mental side football nothing do actually options available kick out or actually football coaching of the team

I agree totally with that but how can you give a guy confidence to kick long when he has no midfield aim at

For a guy with confidence issues clear day with town better kicking long as Donovan aim at or in fact actually kicked sixty fives over the bar
    It's amazing confidence issues is in cork more so
    The key difference imo is that

He'll never have confidence if gould cussen imo are kicking long

And your right there is a absolutely no need over complicate pretty logic fact kate is there mental side football nothing do actually options available kick out or actually football coaching of the team

I was at the Tipp game last year and Ken just could not kick to the target area - I'm sure you were there too. The guys were making the runs but the ball was not arriving. You could see Ken's confidence rapidly drain away - If Quirke was on the bench, Ken was gone - irrespective of fact that he was Cuthbert's club mate.

I don't know if it's a skill/technique issue or simply lack of confidence or even both but I doubt that he could kick out to MD McA and Cian O Sullivan - obviously I can't prove that.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

• Advertisement

Good news in mcdonmell and o Neill be fit and availability for kilkenny game bad news for will Kearney who with conor Sullivan available means he imo will be lucky even get game time league begs question what doing their ist place

Murray dropped correct call

Amid the positivity here over few performance against poor opponents I said then he and haugney were not up to it but as said while I justified my though haugney was never senior worth go ahead of others

Good reading regards cork football this week regards Micheal meehan cork need counter attacking paramount there game

The only worry I have is after just one game the hype regards cork again is building and last year proved we had lots false dawn

I think worry have having watched game four times since is cork never went ahead by more two points at any stage game like wise Dublin so this was too close against dunlin missing key players imo for comfort

Now huge bonus cork is never allowed Dublin get ahead and dogmatic stay with them

However a goal cork were imo real trouble
    Ken made great saves but that shouldn't hide fact cork were exposed three goal chances

Same thing happened cork under twenty one Collins magic four saves saved day hurling v Waterford despite full back line having huge issues
    Course thry though Collins save then every game
    Clare without actually going on goal feist destroyed full back line and playing outstanding colm Barry out position there not helpful

Cork football need realise thry keep giving up goal chances one day will be cruelly exposed

Problems don't just go away they actually must be fixed and imo for that to happen you must identify such problems actually exist in the ist place

hUntilm.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/aidan-walsh-ends-cork-dual-days-as-he-ponders-2015-allegiance-30644025.html

You make one good point we have agreed disagree that I agree with

My last point on this
    Hopefully this will help you see not jusr my opinion but actually aidan Walsh

Don't read start where says until all Ireland series really dualism affected him but go down and read all piece as clear as day absolutely crystal clear he said trsriimg limited time he had up kerry and tipp couldn't start and affected yes aidan Walsh said it ability improve kick outs and runs and so you will I think see my point Halloron was half problem v tipp and kerry only

Tipp was actually worse as was replacement walsh started not able make runs and cork no effective midfield stability all year so blame ken you like but clear as day from interview he had NO SUPPORT LIKE EVERY OTHER INTERCOUNTY GOALIE IN COUNTRY last year by having no one aim at thus thar he had time actually train with and until he does then I would blame not ken totally and use him unfairly scapegoat cork shambles midfield issues

This year cork midfield are actually training together more but there no bar young Maguire learning trade viable options at midfield and if he gets injured god help cork if thry think cussen will make runs for kick outs

Monaghan as meehan said physically big so imo huge worries if gould is struggling as Collins superb player by absolutely dominated air v monaghan

You have view drop ken without giving me better alternative

I suggest cork fix problem that actually can be solved imo by having sean dinnen and laoire on the panel

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/aidan-walsh-ends-cork-dual-days-as-he-ponders-2015-allegiance-30644025.html

Just to add if kate kirby I doubt as great as I think she is could actually solved problems aidan Walsh clearly mentioned here if she was in place last year do so as she'd doesn't do coaching drills ot close to it or in anyway facilities for the actual non limited game time walsh had with he'd keeper

Is there some one blame

Yes course management for thinking dualism would worked and failure have adequate back up midfield as cover

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

I heard its ongoing and so far it's upheld. 2 match ban and appeal rejected by Munster counsell and Croke park - thurles taking it further to DRA

What the hell did he do anyway?

Tough on the young fella but I'd fear a backlash now against Rochestown ecpecially when sanction against other cork team - conpirasiry theory's

Tipp crowd could make it into crusade

Tks for update. For his sake I hope he's cleared to play.

http://www.the42.ie/it-sligo-queens-university-1922675-Feb2015/

Good news in way ucc but at the same time actually benefits game now long lay off semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭CORKDOUBLE

Good news in way ucc but at the same time actually benefits game now long lay off semi final

I suppose good news for Cork lads can now play against Monaghan and be out next Wednesday...a break of sorts for MaGuire, O Driscoll, Dorman etc...

• Advertisement

http://www.eveningecho.ie/sport/2015/02/05/hurlers-name-five-new-boys-in-league-squad/

Football named tonight and imo will be key signal thry did make realistic view every game on own merits something not done last year

Dublin game the best way think we could just easily lost so imo must make few changes

My team for the game
    Ken
    Shields
    Cadogan
    Sullivan
    Dorman Clancy loughrey
    O rourke maguire
    Collins
    Donnacha fit
    Brian nit colm driscoll
    Colm
    Hurley
    Kerrigan drop deep and use pace against slow monaghan defence and have sole job of marking dessie Moyne who two points last week and attacking threat centre back but you have kerrigan on him he curb he's pace and when Moyne attacks doc sit in pocket so fast ball up doc open space creative fast ball two man full forward line

This will be extremely physical so nice footballer won't work up here imo

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

As predicted a few days ago.

As predicted a few days ago.

You were bang on

Thanks for the news before it broke

CORK V MONAGHAN - ALLIANZ FOOTBALL LEAGUE SUNDAY 8TH FEB 04/02/2015

Cork v Monaghan - Allianz Football League Sunday 8th February
    Following on from their victory over Dublin, the Cork Senior Footballers travel to Castleblaney to play Monaghan in Round 2 of the Allianz Football League on Sunday.
    Game: Cork v Monaghan
    Date: Sunday 8th February 2015 at 2:00 p.m.
    Venue: Castleblaney
    Referee: Fergal Kelly (Longford)
    We'll have live updates from the game here on the website and on our Twitter page, @OfficialCorkGAA.
    Nothing Beats Being There. All The Way.

Tickets available for this game at gaa.ie

The Cork Team will line out as follows:
    1. Ken O'Halloran
    2. Tomás Clancy
    3. Tom Clancy
    4. James Loughrey

5. Conor Dorman
    6. Eoin Cadogan
    7. Brian O'Driscoll

8. Fintan Goold
    9. Ian Maguire

10. Mark Collins
    11. Donnacha O'Connor
    12. Colm O'Driscoll

13. Colm O'Neill
    14. Paul Kerrigan
    15. Brian Hurley

Subs:
    16. Michael Martin
    17. Jamie O'Sullivan
    18. Daniel Hazel
    19. Stephen O'Donoghue
    20. Michael Cussen
    21. Donal Óg Hodnett
    22. Luke Connelly
    23. John Hayes
    24. John O'Rourke
    25. Barry O'Driscoll
    26. Kevin O’Driscoll

Conor Dorman and Paul Kerrigan start this week having been drafted in to action last week-end. Patrick Kelly, Daniel Goulding and Noel Galvin are]

Hsnahran must be injured but if not not uge suprised martin is ahead him in he's firm dhsnahran as said dropped but I think be young to start martin just yet

I'm worried about team I'm in don't think lesson learned at all from last week as that full back line has three unnatural full backs and even if likes cadogan goes back cork still have imo too half backs playing corner

Forwards imo will struggle to get enough ball but also defence be under huge pressure I fear

I really love and hope be wrong

CORK V MONAGHAN - ALLIANZ FOOTBALL LEAGUE SUNDAY 8TH FEB 04/02/2015

Cork v Monaghan - Allianz Football League Sunday 8th February
    Following on from their victory over Dublin, the Cork Senior Footballers travel to Castleblaney to play Monaghan in Round 2 of the Allianz Football League on Sunday.
    Game: Cork v Monaghan
    Date: Sunday 8th February 2015 at 2:00 p.m.
    Venue: Castleblaney
    Referee: Fergal Kelly (Longford)
    We'll have live updates from the game here on the website and on our Twitter page, @OfficialCorkGAA.
    Nothing Beats Being There. All The Way.

Tickets available for this game at gaa.ie

The Cork Team will line out as follows:
    1. Ken O'Halloran
    2. Tomás Clancy
    3. Tom Clancy
    4. James Loughrey

5. Conor Dorman
    6. Eoin Cadogan
    7. Brian O'Driscoll

8. Fintan Goold
    9. Ian Maguire

10. Mark Collins
    11. Donnacha O'Connor
    12. Colm O'Driscoll

13. Colm O'Neill
    14. Paul Kerrigan
    15. Brian Hurley

Subs:
    16. Michael Martin
    17. Jamie O'Sullivan
    18. Daniel Hazel
    19. Stephen O'Donoghue
    20. Michael Cussen
    21. Donal Óg Hodnett
    22. Luke Connelly
    23. John Hayes
    24. John O'Rourke
    25. Barry O'Driscoll
    26. Kevin O’Driscoll

Conor Dorman and Paul Kerrigan start this week having been drafted in to action last week-end. Patrick Kelly, Daniel Goulding and Noel Galvin are]

Hsnahran must be injured but if not not uge suprised martin is ahead him in he's firm dhsnahran as said dropped but I think be young to start martin just yet

I'm worried about team I'm in don't think lesson learned at all from last week as that full back line has three unnatural full backs and even if likes cadogan goes back cork still have imo too half backs playing corner

Forwards imo will struggle to get enough ball but also defence be under huge pressure I fear

I really love and hope be wrong

Are u heading up, TTM ?

• Advertisement

Are u heading up, TTM ?

Not sure be honest long way up if do day trip probably
    Lot gaa games coming up hard say ones choose

Harty cup two weeks abs Fitzgibbon cup during week plus hurling kilkenny very hard choose from and course corn mhuir this week

Ladies are also playing in ckoughdiv v Kerry
    Id love go more ladies game always clash with men

U going Gary?
    What u make team named

We are missing David Hanrahan, Michael Sheilds, Noel Galvin, Paddy Kelly , Daniel Goulding, Kevin Crowley, Cathal Vaughan, Ruairi Deane, Sean Kiely, Stephen Cronin.....for sunday....... Whats the story with Mark Sugrue and Alan Cronin ? John O Rourke very unlucky not to be playing ...it looks like they are trying to go with a more settled team this year allowing for some players who are out of position...In the hurling squad what age is Brian O Sullivan of Fermoy ?

CORKDOUBLE wrote: »
    We are missing David Hanrahan, Michael Sheilds, Noel Galvin, Paddy Kelly , Daniel Goulding, Kevin Crowley, Cathal Vaughan, Ruairi Deane, Sean Kiely, Stephen Cronin.....for sunday....... Whats the story with Mark Sugrue and Alan Cronin ? John O Rourke very unlucky not to be playing ...it looks like they are trying to go with a more settled team this year allowing for some players who are out of position...In the hurling squad what age is Brian O Sullivan of Fermoy ?

Vaughan Kelly Goulding Kiely for different reasons are not losses imo as replacement or else too young are better or Kiely case too young partnership with maguire, galvin shields exception

O rourke omissions is baffling as got two points something o driscoll did not

Like I said before team thar actually started last week was imo mainly by default in cuthbhert wouldn't picked them but injuries forced changes

And cadogan likely played centre as with Clancy back I can't see cadogan at full

Huge imo selection worries still

Subs bench has no real bar Sullivan corner back cover
    Hazel and cussen Kevin o driscoll and barry o driscoll imo are not game changing subs either

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

CORKDOUBLE wrote:
    ..In the hurling squad what age is Brian O Sullivan of Fermoy ?

Not sure be honest long way up if do day trip probably
    Lot gaa games coming up hard say ones choose

Harty cup two weeks abs Fitzgibbon cup during week plus hurling kilkenny very hard choose from and course corn mhuir this week

Ladies are also playing in ckoughdiv v Kerry
    Id love go more ladies game always clash with men

U going Gary?
    What u make team named

Nah - I go to all home games and all c/ship but the 4 Northern games are too far. 9 hours driving.

I can't really fault the team. He's being forced to play HB's in the FB line but with Shields and Galvin out - not much choice. I'd like to see S Cronin in the panel as we are short defenders - Jamie is OK thank God - looked to be out for a while.

Like you, I'm surprised O Rourke is dropped - got 2 great scores and made 1 or 2. But Donncha had to come in and maybe Kerrigan is a tactical choice - he looked lively the last day. There are so many good forwards that someone will always be disappointed. I know u rate O Rourke ahead of COD but I can understand COD's inclusion as he will work his socks off and we will go very defensive to match Monaghan. Glad to see Tomas in - looks like Cuthbert is taking a few things on board - maybe things won't be too bad yet. I can't help myself - I always get hopeful and then get dashed.

This is a great game for us as they will be at pterry much full strength and Clerkin is a v good manager.

Nah - I go to all home games and all c/ship but the 4 Northern games are too far. 9 hours driving.

I can't really fault the team. He's being forced to play HB's in the FB line but with Shields and Galvin out - not much choice. I'd like to see S Cronin in the panel as we are short defenders - Jamie is OK thank God - looked to be out for a while.

Like you, I'm surprised O Rourke is dropped - got 2 great scores and made 1 or 2. But Donncha had to come in and maybe Kerrigan is a tactical choice - he looked lively the last day. There are so many good forwards that someone will always be disappointed. I know u rate O Rourke ahead of COD but I can understand COD's inclusion as he will work his socks off and we will go very defensive to match Monaghan. Glad to see Tomas in - looks like Cuthbert is taking a few things on board - maybe things won't be too bad yet. I can't help myself - I always get hopeful and then get dashed.

This is a great game for us as they will be at pterry much full strength and Clerkin is a v good manager.

I'd agree with some that

Clerk is not manager but malachi o rourke

No excuses for full back line I'm sorry now

Cadogan can play three and then Sullivan starts

Cuthbhert said last year doesn't rate o rourke and like said deane same boat when picked won't get imp many games

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Colm O Driscoll is the best asset this team has and he can't be expected to score much while keeping Jack McCaffrey in check for the whole match and never let him out of his sight. Had the pace to stay with one of the quickest players in Ireland and the tenacity to blunt his undoubted talent. He was instrumental in Cork winning the U21 title in '09 and the Junior title two years ago. It should also be remembered that he was back defending with Cadogan and Loughrey to smother McManamon when the Dubs were pressing hard in the 2nd half. A jewel. end of.

Colm O Driscoll is the best asset this team has and he can't be expected to score much while keeping Jack McCaffrey in check for the whole match and never let him out of his sight. Had the pace to stay with one of the quickest players in Ireland and the tenacity to blunt his undoubted talent. He was instrumental in Cork winning the U21 title in '09 and the Junior title two years ago. It should also be remembered that he was back defending with Cadogan and Loughrey to smother McManamon when the Dubs were pressing hard in the 2nd half. A jewel. end of.

I'm with you on this Wackokid. He'd be one of the first names on my team sheet. Never wastes a ball. He's our Wee Brian Dooher.

Best assest cork have???

I have ti disaggre

seriously o rourke every but as dogmatic ans tough but can creative and kick scores

I would say watch mayo game last year and I think you will reevaluate colm driscoll best we have as he was blown out of it by mayo ans turnover after turnover like riche macaw turning over robbie diack if they ever met

Huge drive and commitment ans has balls steel I agree lor admire bur he's not great footballer and mayo proved that physical stakes had he's number

Paul flynn Dublin is dogmatic warrior bur footballer
    Cork must strive for that
    John o rourke is the answer

Wouldn't say he was stand out v down under twenty ones yes got goal but many outstanding players that team o driscoll got goal but didn't carry cork
    Big games driscoll can't start
    In fact Brian brother ten times player he is and could play with rourke midfield

O rourke is your brave hearts Mel Gibson but the beauty in football like tom Cruise is ti women in all in one he's both imo steel inside but guile cohesion fluency awesmoric feet like a ballerina and an football instinct thar spatial awareness that colm unfortunately doesn't have senior elite football imo

I'm with you on this Wackokid. He'd be one of the first names on my team sheet. Never wastes a ball. He's our Wee Brian Dooher.

You either dont rate dooher very highly or over rate colm

Dooher outstanding scorer from distance something colm is not big games
    Brother Brian better

Now I'd some one can show me conclusive scoring evidence of he's scöing in big games I will as colm o rourke once saud when didn't rate dooher and said I'd Tyrone won all Ireland with him then I'd eat my hat off if cork win all Ireland colm driscoll starting at ten imo

O rourke was wrong of course so there a possibility I could be but I seen nothing suggest colm haa it

• Advertisement

Sean mac what you make team Sunday and cork chances
    Your good man with a no holds barrel assessment that call a spade a spade

Barry played full back with Corry and Andrew Ryan from Toomevara in the corners. Stapleton, Meagher, English half backs. Kennedy and Maher centre field. Reidy, Hannon and Donovan on the 40. O' Meara, Corry and Cahill inside. Mike Brown from Ballyhea was in goal.

Barry had very little to deal with in fairness but was solid. Nearly gave away a goal with some slack following a quick puckout in the first half but recovered well, Had a strong second half alright as he was allowed drift out a little. Still think he's a half back but did well today. Slim to no chance of him moving to wing back for Mary I or Cork.

Another posted this in Fitzgibbon thread

Barry out position still paying well

Ten times imo better player than Sullivan

Outstanding dogmatic warrior that's really aggression hurling good striking and great delivery
    Sullivan too light old school cork wrist type hurling imo lack aggression in hurling
    Just twenty one much better potential than Sullivan at twenty four imo

You either dont rate dooher very highly or over rate colm

Dooher outstanding scorer from distance something colm is not big games
    Brother Brian better

Now I'd some one can show me conclusive scoring evidence of he's scöing in big games I will as colm o rourke once saud when didn't rate dooher and said I'd Tyrone won all Ireland with him then I'd eat my hat off if cork win all Ireland colm driscoll starting at ten imo

O rourke was wrong of course so there a possibility I could be but I seen nothing suggest colm haa it
    Definately not a stylish footballer and not a scorer but best worker in team. He suits the sweeper role - I'd love to see his stats - I'd say no one covers more ground.

Looks as if Cuthbert rates him too - interesting to see how he goes - Willie Wonka may have to get u a chocolate hat.

I do rate O Rourke - I thought he was really good on Sun - scored with both feet and then laid on a peach of a pass for a Hurley pt - COD couldn't do those kind of things but he gets there for sheer will power. I can see ur pt however.

For the 1st time in his life............TTM is wrong. lol

I'd love be with driscoll but time will tell
    Needs score more so huge concerns as creative guile and fluency play is worry

League I fear comfort zone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

On what? O'Driscoll? Id prefer O'Rourke and wouldn't play him. End of.

Deco99 wrote: »

I have been critical of Cuthbert but this debate shows how many difficult decisions he has to make.

So far, Collins and COD have been key figures in the defensive plan that we implemented after the Munster Final. COD will work tirelessly and track opposing defenders - he will close down short kicks and get back to defend. He is very effective at the swarm defending that we are trying to perfect.

O Rourke is a far more classy footballer - he can score off either foot, from distance and is also a great worker. It must have been very hard for Cuthbert to drop him him after a great display v Dublin but obviously Cuthbert sees the Monaghan game as the ideal platform to test the 2 sweeper system - I can see his logic.

I hope this has been explained to O Rourke as if I were him, I'd be gutted.

The reality is that we are looking at different types of player and different styles - I'm not sure you can say one player is better than the other. Perhaps you can say one fits a particular system better.

It will be very interesting to see how this develops and I want to be there when TTM eats his hat. :)

Good lad.

As a footballer John O Rourke is better than Colm O Driscoll.....John O can score with both feet his kickpassing is better and is as tough as nails ....but Colm adds a lot too I saw him last sunday take and give hits bigtime for the team stuff that will not win him any allstars or motm awards...to be fair to him he has the Brian Cody attidude "you don't die for the cause ,you kill for the cause ".....can both start on the team ? not sure I would still pick John O no doubt but Colm is very important as well.

• Advertisement

I have been critical of Cuthbert but this debate shows how many difficult decisions he has to make.

So far, Collins and COD have been key figures in the defensive plan that we implemented after the Munster Final. COD will work tirelessly and track opposing defenders - he will close down short kicks and get back to defend. He is very effective at the swarm defending that we are trying to perfect.

O Rourke is a far more classy footballer - he can score off either foot, from distance and is also a great worker. It must have been very hard for Cuthbert to drop him him after a great display v Dublin but obviously Cuthbert sees the Monaghan game as the ideal platform to test the 2 sweeper system - I can see his logic.

I hope this has been explained to O Rourke as if I were him, I'd be gutted.

The reality is that we are looking at different types of player and different styles - I'm not sure you can say one player is better than the other. Perhaps you can say one fits a particular system better.

It will be very interesting to see how this develops and I want to be there when TTM eats his hat. :)
    H's ha

I don't actually think there different players in there both same work horse savage engine dogmatic tough workers but you get extra with o rourke as you get Brian dooher guile class creative spatial awareness

I dint either buy this lark oh too many choices excuse manager makes wrong call
    No as good coach must have ability differential form pool talent who better
    If he can't do that shouldn't be in the job

You see new Zealand rubgy pool talent available kilkenny sane abundance talent but manager still makes right call

That's he job manager cork senior football team be fair that minimum standards just like I expect postman delivery me mail and my dentist fix my tooth correctly for example
    That there job
    Perfection is part parcel cuthbhert job
    If hr can't do it plenty others cork can and love to have chance do it

As a footballer John O Rourke is better than Colm O Driscoll.....John O can score with both feet his kickpassing is better and is as tough as nails ....but Colm adds a lot too I saw him last sunday take and give hits bigtime for the team stuff that will not win him any allstars or motm awards...to be fair to him he has the Brian Cody attidude "you don't die for the cause ,you kill for the cause ".....can both start on the team ? not sure I would still pick John O no doubt but Colm is very important as well.

You got it in one CORKDOUBLE. That should settle the argument and TTM won't choke on his hat.

You got it in one CORKDOUBLE. That should settle the argument and TTM won't choke on his hat.

:-)

I'm sorry but all the other workhorse players on successful teams have had a scoring threat to them, Dooher, Galvin, Paul Flynn, Donncha Walsh even pops up regularly on scoresheet. Whilst I appreciate the little unseen things a player may add such as hits, how many of them must he put in to equate to a score being taken when it presents itself down the other end? Especially from distance against a blanket defence. A player can be trained into playing the defensive system but they must show the ability and courage to take on a score at the other end too, if you want to win. Until Colm adds that you would have to side with O'Rourke, but I'd take a fit P Kelly anyday over both.

The Monaghan Senior Football Team for their 1st home Allianz League game is as follows

1Rory BegganRuairí Ó BeagáinAn Bhoth
    2Conor BoyleConchúr Ó BaoilCluain Tiobraid
    3Drew WylieAindreas WylieBéal Átha Beithe
    4Ryan WylieRiain WylieBéal Átha Beithe
    5Dessie MoneDeasún MocháinCluain Tiobraid
    6Fintan KellyFionáin Ó CeallaighCluain Eois
    7Kieran DuffyCiáran Ó DufaighLeachtain
    8Neil McAdamNiall Mac AdaimNa Clairsigh Mhuineacháin
    9Dick ClerkinRisteard Ó CléirchínCurraichín
    10Darren HughesDarren Ó hAodhaAn Bhoth
    11Stephen GolloglyStíofán Mac an GhallóglaighCarraig Mhacaire Rois
    12Ryan Mc AnespieRian Mac Giolla EaspaigScairbh na gCaorach
    13Dermot MaloneDiarmaid Ó MaoileainFág An Bealach
    14Daniel McKennaDónall Mac CionnaithGaeil Triúcha
    15Kieran HughesCiarán Ó hAodhaAn Bhoth
    16Enda DuffyÉanna Ó DufaighDruim Shamhain
    17John Mc CarronSean Mac CearáinGaeil Triúcha
    18Paddy McGuiganPádraig Mag UiginnCraobh Mháirtin
    19Karl O’ConnellCarl Ó ConaillTigh Thalainn
    20Vinny CoreyUinseann Ó ComhraíCluain Tiobraid
    21Paul FinlayPól Ó FionnlaighBéal Átha Beithe
    22Conor McManusConchur Mac MaghnúisCluain Tiobraid
    23Padraig DonaghyPádraig Mac DonnchaidhDomhnach Maighean
    24Owen DuffyEoin Ó DufaighLeachtain
    25Brendan McElroyBreandán Mac Giolla RuaFág an Bealach
    26Paul MeeganPól Ó MiagáinInis Caoin

]

Strong team with around ten regulars

McManus on subs all star so he'd loss not starting but still a sub
    Dick Clerkin one honest committed footballer you get extremely physical but imo lacks speed and craft and guile and cork midfield should have better him but In the air huge worry to be honest

Beggan goalies will score any forty fives within range and good free taker
    Monaghan lack pace and cork can beat them right team not t sure this team can
    Kerrigan has track Moyne man mark them as defender as he attacks from deep
    Monaghan limited but ultra blanket and at home will tesr cork composure and imo patient beat the blanket defence and imo my huge worry is where scores come from as individuals talent there forwards but cohesion fluency is not there as seen by one point play v Waterford sixty minutes, score less half v tipperary just eight from play but just six from play forward v Dublin and yet Dublin went short kick outs

Imo huge concerns for Sunday cork if right team would win but I have concerns be honest

Looking at sub what could be bruising physical intense game hazel Hayes and cussen and barry o driscoll or Kevin imo don't pack the physical punch for these teams

Have bit chance but I hope doesn't rain as this panel imo not one I'd want go war with in dog fight war of attrition

Brilliant article articulate awesmoric insight cork attacking ans style play by Barry o Donovan tonight echo

I can't link it as not link like Monday piece also

Some he's pieces are link others you can't
    It's pity as great reads
    Reason mentioned it is he mentioned o rourke having viral role cork and paramount success it
    He mentioned in detail he's creative passing and two points
    No mention at all colm o driscoll
    Brian few other mentioned
    Case point again imo rourke offers cork so much and I can't believe not starting or only started last week over injury enforced
    It's not pick guys like o rourke give me doubts management selection

• Advertisement

Brilliant article articulate awesmoric insight cork attacking ans style play by Barry o Donovan tonight echo

I can't link it as not link like Monday piece also

Some he's pieces are link others you can't
    It's pity as great reads
    Reason mentioned it is he mentioned o rourke having viral role cork and paramount success it
    He mentioned in detail he's creative passing and two points
    No mention at all colm o driscoll
    Brian few other mentioned
    Case point again imo rourke offers cork so much and I can't believe not starting or only started last week over injury enforced
    It's not pick guys like o rourke give me doubts management selection

To be honest I dont think the team named will line out. So we'll have to wait til sunday to really see who's dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭zetecescort

Best of luck to Rochestown and Clonakilty tomorrow in Corn Ui Mhuiri semifinals

St. Francis College Rochestown v St Brendans Killarney
    Venue: Carrigoon, Mallow 12:30pm
    Referee: Kevin Walsh

Clonakilty CC v Chorca Dhuibhne
    Venue: Knocknagree 1:30pm
    Referee: Richard Moloney

To be honest I dont think the team named will line out. So we'll have to wait til sunday to really see who's dropped.

I hope you right but Cuthbert never picked a dummy team always any changes there injury forced

I can't see it changing

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hurleratheart

Best of luck to Rochestown and Clonakilty tomorrow in Corn Ui Mhuiri semifinals

St. Francis College Rochestown v St Brendans Killarney
    Venue: Carrigoon, Mallow 12:30pm
    Referee: Kevin Walsh

Clonakilty CC v Chorca Dhuibhne
    Venue: Knocknagree 1:30pm
    Referee: Richard Moloney

Best luck tomorrow I won't make game but would appreciate a match report please if you can
    Hard game call like you said wouldn't be suprised thry win but kerry team be favourite
    You should do a preview as rochestown being your team you would know lot bout them

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement