Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Dog Kennel

• 15-10-2014 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,
    I want to build my retriever a kennel and keep him outside from now on. Any kennel I've looked at in petshops/online etc all look a bit flimbsy and not very well insulated. So I've decided to build one instead and I'm thinking I can build it for the same (if not less!) than what you can buy in the shops with better materials. ie thicker timber and proper insulation. Has anyone ever done this and how would you go about sizing a kennell to suit him? I was thinking of making the internals a little larger than the mat he currently sleeps on and tall enough that he can stand up in it if he wants to turn around. Has anyone come across any plans online that they would recommend? I've found a few but its hard to know, I like the look of the flat roof one. I read somewhere that its bad if you build them too big as the air volume inside them will never get warm enough from their own body temperature during winter and it would be too cold for them.
    Any ideas/suggestions/plans/photos would be great!!! thanks!!! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

TBH if he's not used to sleeping in a kennel you're probably wasting your time! Is there a reason you need to keep him outside - would a crate indoors be an option. My retriever would be devastated if he was dumped outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

///Morgan wrote: »
    Hi,
    I want to build my retriever a kennel and keep him outside from now on. Any kennel I've looked at in petshops/online etc all look a bit flimbsy and not very well insulated. So I've decided to build one instead and I'm thinking I can build it for the same (if not less!) than what you can buy in the shops with better materials. ie thicker timber and proper insulation. Has anyone ever done this and how would you go about sizing a kennell to suit him? I was thinking of making the internals a little larger than the mat he currently sleeps on and tall enough that he can stand up in it if he wants to turn around. Has anyone come across any plans online that they would recommend? I've found a few but its hard to know, I like the look of the flat roof one. I read somewhere that its bad if you build them too big as the air volume inside them will never get warm enough from their own body temperature during winter and it would be too cold for them.
    Any ideas/suggestions/plans/photos would be great!!! thanks!!! :-)

Poor guy. Dogs need companionship as much as shelter and this is a rotten time of year to come to a decision like this. Isn't there any way you can adapt the inside of your premises to live together more comfortably?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ///Morgan

I have a feeling hes going to be pretty devastated as well!! :-(
    Theres 3 main reasons we want to move him out (sounds like hes one of our children.....hahah!!!)
    (1) The heat gets to him, hes always looking to go outside, he prefers it and we think he doesn't sleep much during the night cause hes too hot in the house. So sleeping in a kennel outdoors could suit him better.

(2) Hair EVERYWHERE!!!!

(3) Smell. We are thinking of renting a room in our house and it might be a little more plesant for others....does'nt bother us.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Poor guy. Dogs need companionship as much as shelter and this is a rotten time of year to come to a decision like this. Isn't there any way you can adapt the inside of your premises to live together more comfortably?

If we could adapt the house to suit we would but its an open plan style house so theres really only 2 rooms on the ground floor, kitchen/dining/sitting room and hallway. Hes in the hall at the moment and visitors get "dog smell" as soon as they come in the door.

Obviously when the temperatures drop in Dec/Jan he'd be back in the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

I have a feeling hes going to be pretty devastated as well!! :-(
    Theres 3 main reasons we want to move him out (sounds like hes one of our children.....hahah!!!)
    (1) The heat gets to him, hes always looking to go outside, he prefers it and we think he doesn't sleep much during the night cause hes too hot in the house. So sleeping in a kennel outdoors could suit him better.

(2) Hair EVERYWHERE!!!!

(3) Smell. We are thinking of renting a room in our house and it might be a little more plesant for others....does'nt bother us.

could you not wait until the summer to do this, coming into the winter is really not a good time to be putting him outside. where does he currently sleep? I have 2 dogs, one of them doesn't like the heat at all, so she doesn't sleep in her bed she just lies on the kitchen floor (tiles so nice and cold)

in relation the hair everywhere, this will still happen , unless you are banishing your dog outside completely and not letting him in the house at all ( Really hope this is not the case) if dog is still coming in throughout the day then he will still shed.

• Advertisement

Firstly sorry if my reply sounded judgey?(!) I have 2 retrievers and one is definitely more "warm blooded" that the other and will lie on the floor to cool down a lot more than the other guy. Honestly I think if I left her outside she wouldn't care...but she gets up to mischief so like to have her where we can keep an eye on her! :p

Our house is old and draughty so they have spots where they'll lie to cool down, I have the windows open over their beds at night and also have a cool mat for the one who sleeps in an open crate so he can cool off if his bedding is too warm.

What are you feeding your guy and how often do you wash/groom him - that could possibly be the key for solving your 3 problems. The right diet will keep him from smelling and shedding too much.
    I'd also recommend this double rake brush - http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-grooming-dog-grooming-rakes-c-1124_1131/jw-gripsoft-double-row-undercoat-grooming-rake-for-dogs-p-4185

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Coconut oil given to eat helps a lot with smelly dog too. I told my mother to try giving it to her dog who smelt very "dog like" and it truly worked. I'd give a Lab about a desert spoon a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP,

These issues are easily fixed (if you want to fix them) without resorting to moving the poor guy outside.

Hair & smell:

Add Salmon oil to their food – you can get on www.zooplus.ie, this helps reduce shedding
    keep him regularly groomed, use proper brushes to brush him daily
    Feed your dog a good quality dog food – this helps reduce shedding and will help reduce the "dog" smell
    Bath once per month with good shampoo
    cover couches etc. with throws, wash at least once per week.

Wash his blankets once per week
    use plug in air fresheners
    Carpets are terrible for gathering pet hair, vacuum regularly or change to tiles / wooden floor

I have a dog (who swims regularly, runs through mud, and is known to LOVE rolling in Fox sh*te etc.) , and he spends 99% of his time indoors, I don’t have hair in the house nor does it smell….
    it’s very easy to keep your house clean and smell free it just takes some effort on your behalf

With regard to the heat, if he’s too hot he will sleep on the tiles etc., if his bed is near / beside a radiator, turn it down a bit, also get him clipped, this will help keep him cool.

OP IMO the answer is not moving him outside it his owners making more of an effort to keep him where he belongs…. with his family, not outside alone.

Personally I think it’s very unfair moving your dog outside when these are issues easily solved.

These are great for picking up hair (shop around the different zooplus sites for the best price)

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/esearch.htm#q=dirt%20devil

Thank you for all the advise on how to reduce the hair and smell issues, its not bothering us, its anyone that comes visits that we are thinking of. The dog will still spend alot of time with us, we'd be lost without him.
    The advise I was looking for was on kennel designs and sizes not how to keep the dog indoors. The kennel would be great for him whens hes outside playing when we are not at home and he needs shelter. He loves the outdoors, much prefers it, hes a retriever afterall!
    So has anyone any ideas? (ie kennel suggestions)
    Thanks again for all the feedback :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

I decided to try and build a kennel, its tougher than i taut lol heres a pic of it so far . Kinda stuck on what to do with the roof ha

rottie 11 wrote: »
    I decided to try and build a kennel, its tougher than i taut lol heres a pic of it so far . Kinda stuck on what to do with the roof ha

I was thinking of putting a flat roof with a slight fall on it for rainwater, and insulating it with some kingspan panels left over from an extension.
    What kind of dog are you building that for? And how did you work out the sizing?

OP, your adamant the dog is going outside, that’s your decision.
    Personally I wouldn’t put my dog outside just in case when visitors arrive (how often would that be in reality) that there would be a dog smell!
    but that’s just me.

Google ideas….

http://www.ronhazelton.com/projects/how_to_build_a_custom_insulated_dog_house#steps

http://www.buildeazy.com/fp_doghouse.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Dog-House

Points to note:

Do not place the dog kennel directly on the ground, due to rain and cold, place on blocks off the ground.

Your dog should be able to go down the back of the kennel stand up and turn around. Large enough for them to move around but comfy too, if it’s not the right side he won’t use it.

Please get some “vet bed” for your dog – you can get this at any pet store / Maxi zoo.

maybe get yourself some ear plugs…. leaving your dog outside at night when he used to being inside, I have a feeling you’re going to need them.

best of luck.

if thats for your new Rottie?
    its too smal, he wont use it when fully grown ;)

Ya i was thinking of a slight slope in the roof. Its for a rottie pup , i had an idea of the size from another kennel in the background of the photo. Thinking of insulating mine with rockwool and panelling it of inside

cocker5 wrote: »
    if thats for your new Rottie?
    its too smal, he wont use it when fully grown ;)

Why wont he? Well tbh i was building it out of bordom lol i dont put him out much anyway

Why wont he? Well tbh i was building it out of bordom lol i dont put him out much anyway

"I'm bored... I know I'll build a kennel" :pac::pac::pac:

OP there's been threads on here before and also in the DIY section as well about building kennels. I had a kennel myself that we got for some reason when we got my guy which sat in the garden for years as a toy box - I sold it a couple of months ago on adverts to make space for a new shed so you may pick one up there too.. Just be prepared for the dog to never set foot in it!

Im not being smart or anything, but it’s not the right size, did you google sizes for Rottie?

If it’s not he correct size the dog won’t use it. from the picture it looks too small for a fully grown male Rottie.

48" dog kennels are recommended for the following breeds or dogs weighing between 91 - 110 lbs

 Afgan
     Akita
     Alaskan Malamute
     Anatolian Sheperd
     Bernese Mountain Dog
     Bloodhound
     Bouvier Des Flandres
     Briard
     Kuvasz
     Newfoundland
     Old English Sheepdog
     Otterhound
     Rottweiler
     Samoyed
     Siberian Husky
     Weimaraner

its should be 48” in length, 30” in width and 33” in height…. it doesn’t look in portion in the photo - sorry

I think its 3 1/2 foot x 3 foot . Sure if he wont use it my little staffy will lol can build a bigger one . Or just buy 1 ha

I think its 3 1/2 foot x 3 foot . Sure if he wont use it my little staffy will lol can build a bigger one . Or just buy 1 ha

Yeah maybe… but you see the trick is with a dog kennel if it’s too big (which it probably is for your staffie) and too small for your rottie – neither will use it.

Dogs are funny like that, if it’s too big, it’s not safe and comfy and if it too small it’s not comfortable either!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

My collie pup is using a kennel we had for our old collie. It's a really big kennel and has carpet and a duvet in it. I often find her hiding in the back of it, where she thinks I can't see her! ( usually with a forbidden item she's managed to steal!!!)
    Neither dog sleep outside at night though and just use them if they are out during the day.

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Neither dog sleep outside at night though and just use them if they are out during the day.

.....and thats what I think will happen here too somehow!! ;-)

.....and thats what I think will happen here too somehow!! ;-)

Maybe buy a small shed... at least that way if the dog doesn't use it you'll still have a shed for storage :P

tk123 wrote: »
    Maybe buy a small shed... at least that way if the dog doesn't use it you'll still have a shed for storage :P

we looked into that but it'd be too big for him to sleep in when its cold outside and his own body temperature would never heat up the area enough to keep him warm....thanks thou! :-)

we looked into that but it'd be too big for him to sleep in when its cold outside and his own body temperature would never heat up the area enough to keep him warm....thanks thou! :-)

If its well insulated and you get the vet bed , thsi will help keep him warm see below:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/dog_blankets/vetbed/251997

you could also add a hot water bottle, line the bottom of the kennel with some carpet, raise kennel off the ground on blocks, heat pads.

Here are some heating stuff for a dogs kennel:

http://www.pet-bliss.ie/acatalog/Dog_Heating.html

natural fur coat may provide some protection from the elements, but most domestic dogs aren’t adapted to frigid winters. Keep your indoor or outdoor dog safe, healthy and happy this winter with these 10 suggestions.

1. Carpeting the doghouse is one way to keep pooches off a cold concrete floor. Be sure to nail down or otherwise attach the carpet to avoid seeing it dragged out into the snow. Some dog owners class up the joint with a heat lamp or even a regular light, which provides some warmth in a small space. If you do this, make sure the dog can’t get burned or chew through any electric wires.
    2. Straw is an inexpensive insulator for the doghouse floor. It can be replaced or topped off regularly, and is unlikely to stay wet or freeze, as a blanket or dog bed might. Take care to avoid hay and other products that might have seeds, leaves and other material that could get trapped in your dog’s fur. Also, consider adding a pallet under the straw to make sure the dog stays off the cold, bare ground.
    3. Heated pads are a more effective, albeit more expensive, option for giving Fido a warm place to lie down. For about $50, you can get an outdoor rated heating pad that warms to 102 degrees Fahrenheit but reportedly uses minimal energy. For chewers and otherwise destructive dogs, heavy-duty mats are available for a premium price. Again, make sure to protect any wiring from the elements and dog teeth.
    4. Heat and insulate the doghouse for more comfort in severe climates. Energy-efficient combination heating and air conditioning units specially designed for dog houses are available for about $600. There are plenty of ecological insulation choices, including soy foam insulation.
    5. Shrink the doghouse to help dogs use their own body heat to stay warm. Though a large enclosure may seem luxurious, a dog can keep himself warmer in an enclosed dog house (with a flap or other covering on the door) a little taller than the dog with just enough room to turn around.

Advertisement