Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

When does an operator (3,O2) have to unblock a phone for you?

• 15-10-2014 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

By law when does operator have to sim unblock a phone by law in Europe?

For bill pay, is it the start or the end of the contract?

I can't find this out anywhere.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Don't know if there's a law but maybe there's something in your contract. I'm bill pay with 02 and they've always unlocked phones when I ask. I just tell them I'm going abroad and I'll be using a different SIM, which I do. Maybe I'm missing something, but i can't see that there's any advantage to an operator to keep the phone locked. You're locked into the contract anyway. Refusing to unlock it just annoys customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Three won't unlock until contract is finished or paid in full. EMobile won't unlock until you're half way through the contract. O2 unlock it straight away and Vodafone won't unlock until you have spent €200 on bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

Thanks all, I though there was some EU directive or something, because years ago they would never unlock your phone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The law involved is contract law, and it depends on the contract you signed with the operator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Three told me I had to pay up to unlock my phone, I tried another SIM just to check, and it was already unlocked! Always check before you pay up is what I learnt :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

You could also just get it unlocked yourself. Just got a family members iPhone 5 unlocked for €10 by an eBay seller. It's an official unlock as well (and yes I checked the phone was actually locked before).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

flyguy wrote: »
    You could also just get it unlocked yourself. Just got a family members iPhone 5 unlocked for €10 by an eBay seller. It's an official unlock as well (and yes I checked the phone was actually locked before).

Paid €18 to unlock a Vodafone iPhone 5s. Happy enough with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Paid €18 to unlock a Vodafone iPhone 5s. Happy enough with that.

Was it a bill pay phone?

Advertisement