Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing cats?

• 15-10-2014 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, would really appreciate some advice. I'm sure there's a thread for this but at the moment I'm on my phone and searching is a bit awkward.

I've been living away from home for a while now and have kind of adopted young a stray cat. Dunno if feral or abandoned but it took to me nicely, I feed it twice daily and its very affectionate. The problem is I'm heading home for good in a few days.

I reckon it would survive without me although it has become reliant on me for food, although ideally I'll take it home with me. The thing is I already have a.cat and two big dogs at home who all have free reign of the garden. We were lucky that the cat was there before the dogs and knew its way around but our youngest dog, now two, had killed previous kittens. Not maliciously, he's very friendly not vicious at all I think he probably just wanted to "play" and was too rough (that's what I tell myself). The cat we have knows well enough to keep out of his way and how to do it. One of the problem we had with the kitted was that we didn't have a place to keep them shut in until they were bigger so they would wander out. Naturally I'm worried about bringing this stray home so any advice on how to get it accustomed to a new environment with dogs would be much appreciated.

Two other things. Is there a special way to introduce it to the cat already have? The cat has a shed where's she's fed and sleep (there's a gap under the door for her so the dogs can't get in, although the kittens could get out) but I'm worried about putting the stray in there straight away. We have a another shed I can put it but I want to be able to feed the cats in a common place but I'm worried at the moment the old cat won't go near the new one and I don't want her to feel displaced. Will they eventually just get on?

Finally. Is there any way I can tell the stray's gender? I intend on taking it to a vet to get it checked, it will have to be entered anyway.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 devidwishap

Thanks for sharing the details here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Unfortunately I'll have to leave the cat behind. Can a mod delete this thread please?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement