Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrible hospital experience - who to contact?

Options
  • 15-10-2014 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I had my baby two weeks ago. The experience was not a pleasant one and there are bits of it that are still a blur and will probably remain so until the shock fully goes away.

There are many aspects of my experience that I feel was handled extremely badly by the hospital. I was ignored and shouted out by the midwife and she wouldn't believe my labour was progressing as quickly as it did. Then the baby's heartbeat was lost and there was blood and meconium coming fast. Thank God for the doc that was on call, she was fantastic and reacted so quickly and was very supportive to me. Since there were no beds in the labour ward I could not get any pain relief and so I was cut and delivered my baby in less than 22 mins after going through hell. The baby spent her first night in intensive care.

The intensive care nurses were horrible, I won't even write what they did here because I am still furious about their behaviour (they do care very well for the babies and that's what's important) but the way they treated me and my partner was terrible. The midwives encouraged me to go see the baby to help with the shock but when I went in the intensive care nurses made me leave because I ''should be sleeping''.

The wards were disgusting. I was left with bloody sheets for days and they couldn't change them. There was a man in the shower rooms with his girlfriend. Blood on the bathroom floors, blood clots on the floor.
    Honestly, I feel sick thinking about it all.
    I was only given paracetamol and ibprofen because there was no doc available on the wards to prescribe something stronger. I thought this was unfair after having an instrumental delivery.

I feel like I need to write it all down to make sense of it all but what I would love to know is if I can bring these experiences to the attention of someone in the hospital? I don't mean in terms of a complaint as I know it's pointless, but in terms of at least getting some kind of acknowledgement for what I experienced there. Who do I contact? And has anybody done similar before?

I am so grateful to say that my baby is healthy and thriving and she's growing bigger by the day. That's the most important thing!

(I intentionally didn't mention the hospital as I don't know what boards.ie feel about threads about complaints)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I would write to the master and request a meeting. I would also request a copy of your birth notes because any requests for pain relief should be recorded - they were in mine. I'd also contact the midwifery service.
    I think you were in Holles St. I had an ok experience there but like you I felt the public system leaves a lot to be desired and the nursing staff are hit and miss, one doctor I didn't care for but the rest were brilliant. It isn't pc to say it but I feel I got superior care in the private ward. Even the semi private wards and facilities weren't up to scratch. But I would complain because if you don't nothing will ever change.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Lazygal +1. Personally I think its a great part of the healing process to have your experience recorded and acknowledged by the staff. You don't have to do this now, I didn't contact the hospital until my son was almost a year old, but they were still interested in my comments. Anything you have in the way of feedback is really important. Congrats on the baby, I hope you are doing okay and that you are able to enjoy this precious time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

You can definitely send complaints to Your Service Your Say: yoursay@hse.ie. There is a phone number to deal with complaints too: 045 880400 they can point you in the right direction.

That was a horrific experience, and an awful thing to go through.

Someone else might know if there's another way to complain too

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Thanks lazygal, it's actually reading over my discharge notes that prompted me to write here. They have put ''none'' beside labour and delivery complications and ''none'' beside antenatal complications. The reason my labour was so awful was due to an induction that was started without there really being enough midwives there to monitor it properly (in my opinion). The induction was started within an hour of a routine scan that showed some complications and so I was not let home.

So how they can write 'none' on the discharge notes shocks me and has made me really scared about the future. I honestly don't think I could go through another pregnancy in case the same thing happens again, and with no actual record of it I don't trust that they would take it seriously at all. (this lack of trust is based on my dealings with outpatients over the last 9 months)

If it was all straightforward like my discharge notes suggest then I do not understand why the doc (who I really do admire) apologised afterwards for the traumatic experience. A midwife even visited me afterwards to tell me how important it is to let my future caregiver know about this experience if I ever do decide to have another baby. I don't think what I experienced was a normal labour but of course I haven't had a baby before so I don't know.

They didn't even check me when I told them something was gushing out of me everytime I got a pain. I went from ''no labour'' to 8cm in 9 mins. So I understand why the midwife didn't take me seriously but at the same time her lack of care really caused a horrible amount of distress for me and my partner.

I was fine one minute and the next I was feeling the worst pain I've ever felt and the horrible midwife kept telling the doc how hard I was to examine and how I needed to lie still for the sake of my baby's heartbeat. She told me to stop pushing but I wasn't, it was just happening without me doing it. When she did check me and saw the blood and meconium she called the emergency button. Horrific!

eviltwin, sorry you had a bad experience. I'm so glad they listened to you and you got some closure on the experience.

Thanks for the contact info cyning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

How many midwives were there?

When I was induced back in May in the Rotunda I had one midwife with me.

• Advertisement

There was one in the ward I was in, she was going between each patient. There were three of us having contractions in the ward at the same time. She really was kept busy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I would also make an appointment to see the director of midwifery of the hospital. It is up to you if you want to make a formal complaint in writing but if I had lived your experience and was treated in the way you say you were I would not hesitate. Don't let anyone fob you off with "o she just had a difficult birth and wants someone to blame" attitude... If you were indeed treated unfairly you have the right to complain. There is a complaints procedure... I'll see if I can find it and post it. Also, it will help if you remember specific names. I really hope this terrible experience has not made you think twice about another pregnancy (of that's what you wanted). There are happy labour stories too. I really hope you're ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I don't know which is worse, the thought of having a baby, or the thought of having to go into a hospital run by the hse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Isolt wrote: »
    There was one in the ward I was in, she was going between each patient. There were three of us having contractions in the ward at the same time. She really was kept busy!

I think the idea of labouring in a ward with strangers present is like something from the Middle Ages.

Op write everything down and report it all to the master of the hospital.

You've documented serious issues, and I think any of the staff there would be unimpressed if their daughter or they themselves went through this experience.

• Advertisement

Call me Al wrote: »
    I think the idea of labouring in a ward with strangers present is like something from the Middle Ages.

The catering staff opened my curtain twice while it was all going on. Everyone in the ward probably saw WAY too much of me. I didn't care at the time but looking back now I am mortified.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Write both to The Master and the Director of Midwifery of the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Holy moly what hospital was that! Bloody sheets not changed for days? That's really a disgrace. Mine were changed twice every day.

Catering staff in the induction room? What on earth was that for?

Not allowing someone see their own baby in intensive care? WTF?

I'm really angry on your behalf, make sure you write to the hospital master, and the HSE about that. Put as many details in as you can remember. Memory of those thigns fade quickly, so get them written down. Times, dates, staff members descriptions, room numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Did you take photos of the bloody sheets, bloody floors, clots, etc? This is a serious hygiene issue, and if you have photos to back it up and more than one witness of it, you should add copies to any report to the Health & Safety Authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Congrats on your new baby and i'm delighted to hear she is thriving :)

I'm so sorry to hear of your awful experience, like others have said document everything and don't let it go. Write to the master of the hospital, head of midwifery and the HSE, who knows, your feedback/complaint might help stop someone else from experiencing what you went through.

It baffles me that every pregnancy/labour is so different but yet at times the midwives and doctors treat you as if they are all the same and that there's no way that you could progress so quick. We all know how strained the services are in the hospital but this is no excuse for the way you were treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

I'm so sorry you had that horrific experience. It's truly shocking how you were treated, and the conditions sound horrendous.

Definitely complain, and name and shame the hospital too - nothing will change unless we air our views and vote with our feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Wow this is all just shocking. Sends a shiver up my spine. I really hope you complain. I am just shocked someone went through this in this day and age.

Congrats or your little woman. Great to hear she is doing well after everything ye all went through.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am confused.
    Did you have a c section with no pain relief?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Which hospital was it?
    Was it one of the maternity units in a bigger hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I am confused.
    Did you have a c section with no pain relief?

When the OP said she was cut without pain relief I'm assuming an episiotomy as her labour was only 22 minutes long the poor thing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 nidgeweaseal

was it portlaoise by any chance ? ****ing dump

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

http://aimsireland.ie
    Check out this website Isolt for some advice. Unfortunately there are lots of women who have traumatic experiences in maternity wards in Ireland. Shortage of resources and skeleton staff are some of the causes but there are many practises that are not considered best international practice used by the hse. I hope you get some closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Merkin wrote: »
    When the OP said she was cut without pain relief I'm assuming an episiotomy as her labour was only 22 minutes long the poor thing.

Oh sweet Jesus this makes me feel faint just thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Hi op, my heart goes out to you, a friend had a similar experience, the best advice I can give is:

Write down everything that happened and put it in an envelope. Write a quick letter to the master saying you will be making a complaint but give no details.
    Get a copy of your notes.

But leave it for a while try enjoy the first couple of weeks with your little one. Don't let the hospital change how you would have done these few weeks.
    Get counciling for yourself, your gp can help.

Once you feel strong enough, write down everything that happened in a letter, get someone you trust to read over it. Tell then what you want to happen.

Send it in. It's a very slow process, but your complaint will be investigated. Ask yourself what do you want to get out of it, an apology, an admissions that care was sub standard etc.

As this was an issue around a birth, review any photos, videos that you have, their times may help you write your letter.

My friends complaint was upheld, sanctions were put in place and a new care plan was put in place when she had her next baby.

Pm, me if I can help you further.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Rightwing wrote: »
    I don't know which is worse, the thought of having a baby, or the thought of having to go into a hospital run by the hse

Though I initially agreement your post, I say no, the hospital is run by the HSE, but we are the clients and is our duty to demand the service we want.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I agree with writing everything down, both you and your partner as much as you can remember - names, facts times, even the smallest things. You'd be surprised how much fades even though you think that you'll never forget a single moment. Get a journal and jot down everything that comes to mind, you can sort out the timeline once its written down.

I'm so sorry you had such trauma. And I do think that even by addressing it, down the line, you can begin to process it - at the moment you dont really know what is normal for a delivery or not, neither would I, I only have my own experience to draw on.

It might be no harm to request a copy of your file and have it independently reviewed, if you can, maybe ask your GP for advice on that.

Congrats on your little one. :)

Advertisement