Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living abroad, savings questions, AIB.

Options
  • 15-10-2014 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭

A few questions I hope you guys could maybe offer some wisdom, never really had much money to be saving before!

I'm finally earning now in the Netherlands, paid off all debts, and would like to set up a couple savings accounts.
    1. One for dipping into (car/holiday/emergency/house)
    2. A retirement fund.
    Navigating the Dutch bank confusocracy, through Dutch, is still a bit beyond me :), and I'm currently getting 0.9% interest on my savings account here. I noticed from this page the AIB online regular saver offers 2.25% APR, but then resets its maximum from 12k to 1k annually. :( I just wanna automate this stuff and forget about it, I'd be looking to put 300 or so a month in each.

What do ye reckon the best options are here for these two accounts? I have an AIB current account, but would be hard for me to set up one in another Irish bank since I'm living abroad.

EDIT: Oh also I saw on my AIB current account they've started charging me €6.35 a month since May, what's that about? Are these the new transaction fees? Bit much no? Barely use the thing.

EDIT2: Just found this http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=20747 with lots of options for regular savings accounts. Looks like KBC or nationwide might be the way to go. But for the pension or personal savings drip fund would they suit both?

Advertisement