Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Rospa rider training

• 15-10-2014 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

I'm booked in to do my rospa rider assessment in November, can anyone offer me any tips on what to expect? Looked at a few YouTube vids but it's not that clear what's expected other than awareness of surroundings and planning ahead, I already use the vanishing point to gauge corners along with the left side of lane on rights etc what else do I need to know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

You are overthinking it.
    Nothing too advanced about it, its a bit retarded actually.
    Relax, and dont break any speed limits, dont cross continous white lines, dont undertake, and basically keep it legal.
    Forget about big words like Marmalade.
    Think about where the dangers are on the road and how best to avoid the dangers.
    Position yourself for best view.

As I said, dont complicate it by overthinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

He'll want to see you planning & making progress.

This means doing speed limits where safe, not braking in corners, overtaking where there is an overtake on, using the space in your lane to gain a better view and reacting in good time to traffic.

He may ask you to explain the limit point.

You should get and read Roadcraft: the police motorcyclists handbook, if you haven't already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Are there any benefits to doing the assessment other than lowering your insurance premium ?

My insurance is low anyway so I don't see the point ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Tzardine wrote: »
    My insurance is low anyway so I don't see the point ?

For me it was to be surer that I was being as safe as I could be when out and about. Being a vulnerable road user means being right is not the same as being alive.

Having done 3 retests now (and still willing to learn) has given me great perspective driving the motorcycle, car, out on the bicycle and even awareness of dangers walking.

For me, the insurance discount was only an added bonus so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

two reasons im doing it, one for the blood bikes and two because its always good to learn new techniques that could help make my riding safer and smoother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Assessment? - or do you mean the RoSPA test?
    If an assessment the instructor will tell you "To relax, ride your own ride, observe rules of road, incl speed limits - and enjoy the ride".
    The critique of your riding comes later when he/she will probably tell you you're paying for the coffee and cake!

Some familiarity with Roadcraft would be useful but not essential.

RoSPA groups:
    R-IART Dublin area and Midlands mostly:
    R-Munster

its the rospa test for to become a blood bike west rider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

serious3 wrote: »
    its the rospa test for to become a blood bike west rider

Surely some of the Blood bike volunteers would help you out with training for free before your rospa test.
    It is all voluntary, meaning that nobody profits from this.

They have helped out! I'm just asking coz I don't want to make an arse of it! Forewarned is forarmed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

RoSPA web-site, rider test guidelines here

Apart from testing your riding standard you may be quizzed about:
    - pre ride check; tyre pressures, legal tread depth..
    - Rules of the Road; road signs, speed limits etc
    - "the system". e.g. what is IPSGA?
    - demonstrate a 3-stage overtake.
    (not intended as a comprehensive list )

Where are you doing the test?

• Advertisement
Advertisement