Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Flyfishing

Options
  • 15-10-2014 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I am going to start fly fishing for brown and rainbow trout and I am getting a 9ft 6 weight rod and a graphite reel matching the line.I am going to be taught how to cast from my dad but I want to know which would be the best flies for rainbow trout and which would be the best for wild brown trout?I have blobs,epoxy buzzers and dry daddy long legs in mind.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Is this the gear Olwas was going to get?;)

A lot of the secret with flies is to find what works in what location at a particular time of year. If you are just going for rainbows in a fishery then I'd ask at the fishery.

Wild brown trout flies differ between river and lake. Again location is key. In the advice given on Olwas's thread it was mentioned that fly fishing involves learning the river and the water life it holds. Again a local tackle shop will know what flies work best on the local waters at each stage of the season.

You brothers don't half jump between methods and species.:) You will need patience and perseverance to master fly fishing, so please give it time. I'm fly fishing 60 years and I still learn every season.

If Dad is able to teach casting, he should be able to advise you on flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

My brother no longer wants to fly fish and I had no idea of him posting about that.I presume he wanted to do it because I wanted to fly fish :DI will ask my local tackle shop and maybe I might look at what's hatching and try and match a fly.

Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kevin the Kid

For trout you should learn about sedges and nymphs and wet and dry flies. It takes a bit of time but that's what its all about after all.
    It takes time to learn about weather conditions, hatches, types of lines (sinking, floating etc).
    Best of Luck Its a wonderful hobby/sport you can drift in and out of for life

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

For rainbows if d use anything bright and fast moving. Fritz, boobys, minkys And mix em with goldheads aswell.
    Buzzers aswell but always remember figure of 8 slow, medium or fast retriev will always catch fish. And don't assume because buzzers are small that bigger fish won't take. Bigger fish don't like to waste much energy so buzzers are perfect for them.
    As for browns well you need to watch the fly life to know what they're taking but they will also take lures like the above.
    Always found green goldhead montana great for brown trout in medium to fast moving waters.

For rainbows if d use anything bright and fast moving. Fritz, boobys, minkys And mix em with goldheads aswell.
    Buzzers aswell but always remember figure of 8 slow, medium or fast retriev will always catch fish. And don't assume because buzzers are small that bigger fish won't take. Bigger fish don't like to waste much energy so buzzers are perfect for them.
    As for browns well you need to watch the fly life to know what they're taking but they will also take lures like the above.
    Always found green goldhead montana great for brown trout in medium to fast moving waters.
    How would I fish the buzzers in a figure of eight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Figure of 8 is the way you retrieve the fly...you pull the line across your hand in a figure of eight shape; pulling it in, dropping it and repeating. It's hard to explain it in words, check youtube and there should be some videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

MadDog1999 wrote: »
    How would I fish the buzzers in a figure of eight?

Sorry should've explained a figure of 8.
    It's when your retrieving the line you pull the line through your fingers in a figure of 8 motion.
    It can be hard to do starting off and harder to explain it over internet. Maybe YouTube might have video on it

Sorry should've explained a figure of 8.
    It's when your retrieving the line you pull the line through your fingers in a figure of 8 motion.
    It can be hard to do starting off and harder to explain it over internet. Maybe YouTube might have video on it
    I have got the basic idea of figure of eight retrieve.Any tips on how to rig buzzers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have got the basic idea of figure of eight retrieve.Any tips on how to rig buzzers?

As a beginner the most you will do is a 2 fly set up with the heaviest buzzer on the lead and a lighter one as a dropper. This ensures you fish at different depths.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'd put fishing buzzers on the long finger til you have got the basics right.

If i were you I'd fish a two wet flies like srameen mentions, or even just the one fly. I'd head for a small river and fish the pools with fast flowing water. Bridge pools are very good for a beginner. The fast, broken water will disguse any poor casting. The pools in small rivers tend to hold the bigger trout and a trout in fast deep water has to decide very quickly if they are going to take the fly. This usually means aggressive takes and trout that hook themselves by and large.

• Advertisement

Any good rivers around dingle peninsula for fly fishing other than owenmore

Advertisement