Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Apartment left to rent in Dublin

Options
  • 15-10-2014 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Guys,
    I was searching for apartment to rent in Dublin within €850 to €1000 (2 bed room) and found there are no apartments at all. I was looking into several property website but so far no luck. Just few months back apartments were available with suitable price. Now they all gone. I was wondering what going on here??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Your budget is too low, a 2 bed place in Dublin City will be on average €1300-€1500 per month. Demand is high, supply is low at the moment.

Plus it's a busier time of year with college students taking the bulk of the properties in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

January wrote: »

I wouldn't call Balbriggan, Swords, Tallaght, Donabate, Rush, Lusk, Finglas, Kinsealy, Ballymun, Clonsilla, Skerries and Lucan 'Dublin City' within the boundaries of this forum. Further, a two bedroom apartment in Ballyfermot for €1,000? Jog on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I know what you mean OP, i just searched for 5 bed mansion with pool and heli pad for 1300e a month and nothing as well! What the hell government!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I wouldn't call Balbriggan, Swords, Tallaght, Donabate, Rush, Lusk, Finglas, Kinsealy, Ballymun, Clonsilla, Skerries and Lucan 'Dublin City' within the boundaries of this forum. Further, a two bedroom apartment in Ballyfermot for €1,000? Jog on!

Finglas, Ballymun and Ballyfermot definitely come under the remit of this forum though ;)

Point is, you posted there are no apartments for rent in 'Dublin' for €850-€1000 a month. There are your choices.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

2 bed apartments are yielding just over 1k per month in Finglas all day long ;)

I've lived in Finglas, and Ballymun (actually the same place, different building to the one advertised) and both are nice areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

How dare somebody suggest people live within easy commuting distance of the city centre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I've lived in Finglas, and Ballymun (actually the same place, different building to the one advertised) and both are nice areas.

I don't think that's a fair or accurate statement.

Neither Finglas nor Ballymun are "nice areas".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I don't think that's a fair or accurate statement.

Neither Finglas nor Ballymun are "nice areas".

I'm going to take a wild guess here, and and say that you have zero knowledge of either one. Both Ballymun & Finglas definitely have parts that would not qualify for the description of "nice." But both of them also have parts that are perfectly fine. They would generally border Glasnevin/Glasnevin North, Ballygall and Santry. The only thing is, they would probably not be within the OP's budget. As DCU is also in the area, the OP would face stiff competition in the accommodation stakes from students.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Both Ballymun & Finglas definitely have parts that would not qualify for the description of "nice." But both of them also have parts that are perfectly fine

That is not what the poster said.

He/she said Finglas and Ballymun are "nice areas".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Where in Dublin are you looking? Let me guess, walking distance to city centre?
    Be realistic! Your budget might get you 2 rooms in a house share. Or an apartment within walking distance of a half-decent commuter route. in which case, commuting will add to your costs and sap some joy out of your life.
    This thread has been done very recently fyi. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057301178
    In summary, it's all down to supply and demand.

Edit: as for the reasonable prices a few months ago.. Over the past few years there probably were some bargains to be had. Great for people who signed medium term leases but for the majority of people they'll be facing rent hikes at the end of their first year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Even before the recent increases, you'd struggle to find a 2 bed under €1000. Most seemed to be just over. I think you'll need to up your budget to at least 1200 now if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

yep. 850-1000 seems to be the average amount for a one bedroom nowadays. To keep rent manageable you should probably be searching for 3/4 bedrooms.

As an aside, I lived on main street Ballymun in a nice apartment for a college year and it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Alakbd

Thanks for all your comment. But look at the economy, is it still much more better than 2006/2007 or 2008. I can bet you on that you there were much more people living in Dublin before and the prices were min €1100 to €1300. Mostly with €1100 you would get a nice 2 bed room apt in City Centre (Specially D1, D2, D7) which seems now nothing at all. I am living in Dublin for last 12 years (D1& D2). It is terrible time now. Students came to city centre because of Study purpose I can understand that. But it is not happening for the first time. But crisis like that I never saw. So there might be other reason I don't know what it is. But this is the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

People were still building apartments in 2006/2007, this isn't the case anymore so stock is running out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

looking forward for the next crash. I hate this country so much

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Yes, because property booms and busts are completely Irish phenomenon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Alakbd wrote: »
    Thanks for all your comment. But look at the economy, is it still much more better than 2006/2007 or 2008. I can bet you on that you there were much more people living in Dublin before and the prices were min €1100 to €1300. Mostly with €1100 you would get a nice 2 bed room apt in City Centre (Specially D1, D2, D7) which seems now nothing at all. I am living in Dublin for last 12 years (D1& D2). It is terrible time now. Students came to city centre because of Study purpose I can understand that. But it is not happening for the first time. But crisis like that I never saw. So there might be other reason I don't know what it is. But this is the reality.

There are more people living in Dublin Now.

OP, why do you want a 2 bed? There is only one of you. And if you are living in the city centre you will be out a lot and dont need a big place - practically speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

The market out there has certainly got worse. When I was looking at places in april of last year saw some lovely 1 beds, with lots of room for 800. Prices have exploded and the op wants a 2 bed for something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Two words:

Supply.

Demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'd suggest to look outside the city, mainly the suburbs or areas outside Dublin that have good transport links. Public transport and commuting might be a consideration if trying to get an apartment with those prices. Its impossible to get a two bedroom place, you be lucky to get a one bedroom place for your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

doovdela wrote: »
    I'd suggest to look outside the city, mainly the suburbs or areas outside Dublin that have good transport links. Public transport and commuting might be a consideration if trying to get an apartment with those prices. Its impossible to get a two bedroom place, you be lucky to get a one bedroom place for your budget.

I would completely recommend not doing this; the cost of your daily commute together with taxis home from nights out mean it isn't worth the cheaper rent.

There are nice areas in Finglas and Ballymun... Don't tar a whole area with the same brush :rolleyes:

There are nice areas in Finglas and Ballymun... Don't tar a whole area with the same brush :rolleyes:

Nobody said that there weren't.

What was challenged is the view that Finglas and Ballymun are nice areas.

They are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

People tend to view certain parts of Dublin with extreme optimism in this forum. The other day somebody described Raheny as "upper class". Yeah, just like how Finglas is a "nice area". The latter isn't one of the cheapest parts of Dublin for nothing.

Nobody said that there weren't.

What was challenged is the view that Finglas and Ballymun are nice areas.

They are not.

Is every single square inch of Finglas and Ballymun nice? No, they are not.

Is every single square inch of Finglas and Ballymun an unmitigated kip? No, they are not.

Do Finglas and Ballymun have considerably larger areas that the average person would consider to be dodgy, compared to Ballsbridge & Foxrock? Yes, they do.

The bottom line is that ALL of Ballymun & Finglas are not horrible areas. To imply that they are, is ignorance & snobbery plain and simple.

Take a drive up Ballymun Rd from Griffith Ave to Collins Ave & have a look at the lovely large, detached, red brick houses from the Victorian era. Have a look at the cars in the driveways and all of the DCU students & locals making use of Albert Park. You could be in Ranelagh or Rathgar, if you didn't know better. Does it get rougher the closer you get to the Ballymun flats are? Yes, it does. But there is a lot more to Ballymun than the flats, despite what you see on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Is every single square inch of Finglas and Ballymun nice? No, they are not.

Is every single square inch of Finglas and Ballymun an unmitigated kip? No, they are not.

Do Finglas and Ballymun have considerably larger areas that the average person would consider to be dodgy, compared to Ballsbridge & Foxrock? Yes, they do.

The bottom line is that ALL of Ballymun & Finglas are not horrible areas. To imply that they are, is ignorance & snobbery plain and simple.

Take a drive up Ballymun Rd from Griffith Ave to Collins Ave & have a look at the lovely large, detached, red brick houses from the Victorian era. Have a look at the cars in the driveways and all of the DCU students & locals making use of Albert Park. You could be in Ranelagh or Rathgar, if you didn't know better. Does it get rougher the closer you get to the Ballymun flats are? Yes, it does. But there is a lot more to Ballymun than the flats, despite what you see on the news.

great, can we get back on topic now?

great, can we get back on topic now?

Finding the OP somewhere decent to live, that is within his budget? Sure.

When you have finished doling out the incredibly witty one line put downs, perhaps you would care to contribute something that could be of actual use to the OP? If it's not too much trouble ! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Alakbd wrote: »
    Guys,
    I was searching for apartment to rent in Dublin within €850 to €1000 (2 bed room) and found there are no apartments at all. I was looking into several property website but so far no luck. Just few months back apartments were available with suitable price. Now they all gone. I was wondering what going on here??

Greed.
    There is a domino effect happening because all this crap started in January. Various media outlets reported that the price of housing was going up, so in turn, landlords put their rent up.

I would be willing to place a large wager that if someone appeared on the RTE 6.01 news tomorrow stating that "rent prices are expected to go up by 10% in the next quarter" - That alone would put rents up.

Advertisement