Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Apartment left to rent in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Is every single square inch of Finglas and Ballymun nice? No, they are not.

Is every single square inch of Finglas and Ballymun an unmitigated kip? No, they are not.

Do Finglas and Ballymun have considerably larger areas that the average person would consider to be dodgy, compared to Ballsbridge & Foxrock? Yes, they do.

The bottom line is that ALL of Ballymun & Finglas are not horrible areas. To imply that they are, is ignorance & snobbery plain and simple.

Take a drive up Ballymun Rd from Griffith Ave to Collins Ave & have a look at the lovely large, detached, red brick houses from the Victorian era. Have a look at the cars in the driveways and all of the DCU students & locals making use of Albert Park. You could be in Ranelagh or Rathgar, if you didn't know better. Does it get rougher the closer you get to the Ballymun flats are? Yes, it does. But there is a lot more to Ballymun than the flats, despite what you see on the news.

Serious question - Do you actually read other people's posts?

I am challenging the view that Finglas and Ballymun are nice areas.

You (and others) are diving in and screaming "they have nice parts to them".

That is not the same thing.

Are they nice areas? No, they're not, and to suggest otherwise is crazy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I am challenging the view that Finglas and Ballymun are nice areas.

Based on what?

Are they nice areas? No, they're not, and to suggest otherwise is crazy.

How do you quantify a "nice" area?

No social housing?

Nobody in tracksuits?

There's not one "nice" area in the city that doesnt have social housing and people in tracksuits living withing a five minute walk...look at Monkstown,Dun Laoighre and Killiney..all have substatntial "corporation" housing devlopments nearby.

I've lived in finglas for over 13 years and i can tell you in terms or bus routes,shopping facilities,proximity to the M50 and sheer friendlyness of the inhabitants it's an area thats hard to beat.

I think a lot of people want to live in gated apartment complexes where they never interact with anybody and like to think they're in some way shielded from the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

On the assumption that "nice" means crime levels and feelings of safety, given that I don't think there are crime statistics available by Dublin area, the best you can do is...

If you want a 'big data' idea of what's a "nice" area and what isn't, go onto an insurance company website like Aviva.ie, put in the address of the property you're thinking of renting. Put in all other values as the same as your current one.
    See what the premium is.

Use your current address as a bench mark. See what it's premium is.

If there's a significant difference in premium, that indicates a difference in the level of property crime in the area.
    It could also indicate that the property is at risk of flooding, but usually they won't even give you a quote online if that's the case.

You can do the same for your car insurance. Use the same vehicle and proposer details. If there's a difference between two Dublin postcodes, that likely reflects levels of car theft from people in that area.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

According to an article in the Times today, there are noisy flags in Dublin 4 near the Indian embassy so I am defintely not moving there. The horror that some people have to put up with.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-4-residents-fail-to-stop-plans-for-indian-embassy-1.1967369

odyssey06 wrote: »

If you want a 'big data' idea of what's a "nice" area and what isn't, go onto an insurance company website like Aviva.ie, put in the address of the property you're thinking of renting. Put in all other values as the same as your current one.
    See what the premium is.

Use your current address as a bench mark. See what it's premium is.

If there's a significant difference in premium, that indicates a difference in the level of property crime in the area.

What exactly is "property crime" and how does it affect premiums?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

That headline is so misleading, as if flag noise was the main or only problem. The area is zones R2 and the Board Inspector recommended against grant of permission, so it certainly is newsworthy but not in the fashion that the Times has reported.

chopper6 wrote: »
    What exactly is "property crime" and how does it affect premiums?

Break-ins, burglaries, theft of items from house e.g. not muggings as you don't claim on your house insurance for that. That's going to be the most frequent high-value type of claim.
    The more such claims in a particular area (different insurance companies will have a different concept of area, for some its postcode, for some it's parish, for some it's a "block" of properties) the higher the premiums will be if you look for cover in that area.
    If all other things on the quote are the same (proposer age, house profile, contents and buildings value) that's the most likely reason for premium difference.

The other things you typically claim for are rare but expensive (fire), or more frequent but low value (lightning damage) and unlikely to be something that differentiates one area from another.
    Floods as mentioned are likely to result in the whole area being declined for new business. Try to get a quote online for an area that has flooded in last 5 years and you're likely to draw a blank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

Dont bother asking on this forum you wont get non biased answers. If you listened to most of the regular posters here you'd believe Dublin was Europes greatest City and there is zero crime because they didn't see any. They'd have you living in some kip of a street in Finglas or paying stupid money for a damp studio apartment in the City Centre, complain and "its better than London and Paris".

Dublin shouldnt be compared to either, its 10 times the kip they are , with twice the prices and 1/10 of the amenities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Dont bother asking on this forum you wont get non biased answers. If you listened to most of the regular posters here you'd believe Dublin was Europes greatest City and there is zero crime because they didn't see any. They'd have you living in some kip of a street in Finglas or paying stupid money for a damp studio apartment in the City Centre, complain and "its better than London and Paris".

Dublin shouldnt be compared to either, its 10 times the kip they are , with twice the prices and 1/10 of the amenities.

Mode note: this type of posting is far less than helpful, contains sweeping generalisations which are against the charter, is generally attacking posters who have a different but valid opinion - again after a previous warning. Don't post again in this thread unless you can improve your posts. Some other posters should bear this note in mind too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Are you for real? Dublin has it's problems like any major city but calling it 10 times worse than London or Paris is taking the p*ss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

The market out there has certainly got worse. When I was looking at places in april of last year saw some lovely 1 beds, with lots of room for 800. Prices have exploded and the op wants a 2 bed for something similar.

Place across the hall from me is rented already. No idea if they got what they were asking. I know the one I am in was on daft at least a month before I looked at it. My how times change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

By the logic of some in this thread, we could say Ranelagh is a horrible place to live because it has the odd bad estate in it. You cant term an overall big area as nice just because certain parts of it happen to be ok. Every place in Dublin has nice parts and bad parts. Finglas has both, yet it has more bad parts than most. Therefore overall, it's not a nice place to live. Parts may be nice certainly, but we can't break down the city into every little estate.

For there to be nice places to live in a city, there must surely be mediocre places and 'not nice' places. We cant term every place as lovely. And while parts of Finglas are fine, overall it falls below most places in Dublin. Therefore it goes in the 'not nice' category

Hulk Hands wrote: »

For there to be nice places to live in a city, there must surely be mediocre places and 'not nice' places. We cant term every place as lovely. And while parts of Finglas are fine, overall it falls below most places in Dublin. Therefore it goes in the 'not nice' category

Have you ever lived there?

Would he need to live in Iraq to know that it's not a nice place to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Depends on where your radar is for nice/not nice.

Fwiw, what I've seen is that there's a few sketchy areas in the City that are easily avoided. Swerving an entire area because the address has Finglas/Coolock/Whatever in it is at best ignorance, at worst downright stupidity.

People need to get the **** over themselves and accept that is the way the market is in Dublin right now; if you want your leafy southside suburb you're gonna have to pay for it.

Would he need to live in Iraq to know that it's not a nice place to live?

Well Iraq seems to have suited Iraqis for the last 5000 years...what is your point?

So, disregarding price and distance, where wouldn't you live in Finglas? In Dublin? Are there any parts of Dublin you wouldn't want to live in? Why not?

And consider that if you are not from Finglas\Dublin it can be very hard to answer that question...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm not sure what the massive opposition to acknowledging that rent prices all over Dublin are unsustainably high is all about here. It's a pretty obvious and generally accepted fact.

So, disregarding price and distance, where wouldn't you live in Finglas? In Dublin? Are there any parts of Dublin you wouldn't want to live in? Why not?

I asked the previous poster who seems to know all about finglas as an area has he ever lived there.

I'm still waiting on a reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

This is not going to get any better either - http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1023/654253-rent/
    Nearly a third of landlords want to sell and when they do most of these properties will be bought by owner-occupiers.

That is a looming crisis if I ever I heard of one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

I'm not sure what the massive opposition to acknowledging that rent prices all over Dublin are unsustainably high is all about here. It's a pretty obvious and generally accepted fact.

Because it's wrong ? We are currently caught in a supply side shortage which shows zero signs of abating . As long as people keep paying the high rents they aren't "unsustainable" . Is it painful ... damn sure it is but it's not unsustainable in the medium term ! . The counter-cycle building never happened and now we are paying the price.

Rent controls were more or less ruled out in the report today so expect rents to keep rising as no supply will come on tap any time soon. That plus builders will not want to build anything till they get the govt. to overturn the DCC apartment sizes because they can't rack and pack will take another year or two before we're back to shoeboxes again.

Yay.

I asked the previous poster who seems to know all about finglas as an area has he ever lived there. I'm still waiting on a reply.

One of the comments from a Spanish colleague was that it was much harder to find 'nice' places to live in Dublin than back home. He said in Dublin nice areas were next to, let's call them, dodgy areas. Whereas back home, nice areas were in large groups, dodgy areas were in large groups etc

One of the comments from a Spanish colleague was that it was much harder to find 'nice' places to live in Dublin than back home. He said in Dublin nice areas were next to, let's call them, dodgy areas. Whereas back home, nice areas were in large groups, dodgy areas were in large groups etc

What have the musings of a Spanish person got to do with living in finglas...or Dublin generally?

And I'm sure it's in nobody's interest to have "dodgy areas in large groups".

What have the musings of a Spanish person got to do with living in finglas...or Dublin generally?

This thread is called "no apartment left to rent in Dublin"... given that many of those apartments are rented to people from outside Ireland (I used Spanish as an example), "musings" on their experience of finding somewhere to rent in Ireland, and the places they choose to rent in, seems pretty relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Lived in the lower part of Glasnevin for a year, one of the friends lived in Finglas so spent a bit of time there and travelling between the two. It's irrelevant though, I don't have to have lived in Donnybrook to put it higher than Ballyfermot on the list. No matter what way you want to swing it, Finglas is on the low end of it. A place is only as good or bad as what its being compared too. And the overall area falls below the Dublin average, the nice areas notwithstanding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Lived in the lower part of Glasnevin for a year, one of the friends lived in Finglas so spent a bit of time there and travelling between the two. It's irrelevant though, I don't have to have lived in Donnybrook to put it higher than Ballyfermot on the list. No matter what way you want to swing it, Finglas is on the low end of it. A place is only as good or bad as what its being compared too. And the overall area falls below the Dublin average, the nice areas notwithstanding

I've found the worst thing about ' nice ' areas is the amount of neighbours ( usually renters ) with this sort of mentality - clinging on to postcodes like some sort of lifeline.

I've also found that bad areas are often ' bad ' because of idle gossip rather than anything tangible.

Lived in the lower part of Glasnevin for a year, one of the friends lived in Finglas so spent a bit of time there and travelling between the two. It's irrelevant though, I don't have to have lived in Donnybrook to put itr higher than Ballyfermot on the list. No matter what way you want to swing it, Finglas is on the low end of it. A place is only as good or bad as what its being compared too. And the overall area falls below the Dublin average, the nice areas notwithstanding

Are you using some sort of sliding scale?

Because it really comes across like you havnt the first idea what you're talking about.

Why of course...these are all "nice" areas, and heaven help anyone who dares to suggest otherwise:

Finglas
    Ballymun
    Jobstown
    Moyross
    Neilstown
    Ballyfermot

It's even poor use of English. If they're "nice" areas, how should one classify Dalkey or Beverly Hills or Kensington? "Very nice"?

They are not "nice" areas. They may have "nice" pockets within them, but that does not make them "nice" areas.

Why of course...these are all "nice" areas, and heaven help anyone who dares to suggest otherwise:

Finglas
    Ballymun
    Jobstown
    Moyross
    Neilstown
    Ballyfermot

It's even poor use of English. If they're "nice" areas, how should one classify Dalkey or Beverly Hills or Kensington? "Very nice"?

They are not "nice" areas. They may have "nice" pockets within them, but that does not make them "nice" areas.

Says who?

• Advertisement

Says who?

Anyone without an acquired brain injury...

Advertisement