Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farm safety grants

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Sheep handling race, happy days, I better feckin qualify for it, if it's TAMS I'm screwed - again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

how are cattle scales counted as saftey equipment?

how are cattle scales counted as saftey equipment?

You won't have to strain the back bear hugging them onto the bathroom scales any longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Great news on the Agitation gang slats. Need six, but I suppose only the four exterior agitation points will qualify. Very nearly came to a sticky end during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Brass Tag

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Great news on the Agitation gang slats. Need six, but I suppose only the four exterior agitation points will qualify. Very nearly came to a sticky end during the summer.

Have an old tank with slats on 26 years now. Must be getting to the point where they are a safety issue. Would these qualify I wonder??
    3 bay 11ft 6inch slats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

What is the 'circulation pipe(6") to allow for agitation of slurry'?

The leg hoist and scales for cattle and sheep will be on my santa list anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Great to see this grant come in for such an important thing as safety.

It would have been great if it extended to chainsaw gear like trousers, boots and gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Great move.
    Strange it's under the 07-13 RDP, must have unspent funds.

PTO shafts would have been another good item to cover.

Still, it's a progressive move.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭shrek008

It says on the Agriland website that its only MOBILE cattle crushes and pens that will be grant aided,does this mean that an ordinary crush and handling facilities wont be covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Anti backing bars would be nice! How much are a set of scales?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

C0N0R wrote: »

I'm sure a biteen more now that this announcement has been made!

Anywhere from 1050 - 1550 I'd say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

C0N0R wrote: »
    Ballpark 1300 + vat

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

great idea

foot hoist and head scoop.. would love a scales too to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Muckit wrote: »

..... would have been great if it extended to chainsaw gear like trousers, boots and gloves.

These, and pto covers, as mentioned by Brian, should at least be zero vat - in the same category as food. They keep us alive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Does anyone know how far the "covers for external slurry store" is likely to go?

Is this about covering a small tank or roofing, or slatting over even, an external concrete tank? Or am I confused?

Also how do we know what qualifications are required for an application? Will it be limited to those who claim SFP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

MfMan wrote: »
    I'm sure a biteen more now that this announcement has been made!

Anywhere from 1050 - 1550 I'd say.

Yeah your right. Always thought of getting a set of scales but the manufacturers will think this grand is for them and up the price more than likely

Should there be a price freeze on these items before announcements like this?

Should there be a price freeze on these items before announcements like this?

Surely then industries would cry wolf about input increases then. Pure coincidence I'm sure

Reggie. wrote: »
    Surely then industries would cry wolf about input increases then. Pure coincidence I'm sure

Sure let them, no one pays much notice when farmers bemoan the price of feed fert or chemicals.

Sure let them, no one pays much notice when farmers bemoan the price of feed fert or chemicals.

But would they have more clout when bemoaning

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    But would they have more clout when bemoaning

Possibly, to protect "jobs" they may need to gouge primary producers. I wonder do the mining companies (more primary producers) take hits like that for getting iron etc out of the ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

50% mark up on all items with these grants

I said wrote: »
    50% mark up on all items with these grants

Any reason why we couldn't import things like calving gates, scales, etc. from the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

kowtow wrote: »
    Any reason why we couldn't import things like calving gates, scales, etc. from the UK?

Sure just use them over there and import the beef and milk:)

Be more expensive would it not?

Did ya try and import a slatted shed when the grants were available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

yes you can use imported stuff and get grant aid as long as its from eu country. you can run into problems reclaiming vat if you are un registered. way around that is to get your builder mate who is vat registered to buy it they pay no vat then sell it to you with irish vat. he pays the irish government the vat and you reclaim it from irish government.
    micrax what should farmers do if the middle man gets so busy supplying grant equipment that the price goes up by 40%. this happened last time. should we do without this safety equipment due to it becoming too dear even with the grant or have the option of keeping them honest and charging a fair price that is not artificially inflated due to a grant.
    on the last grant I had a price for parlour before grant was improved and 18mts later got price for same parlour and it had gone from 21k to 32k. was fobbed off that it was the price of stainless had doubled. went north and parlour had gone up by 1500 due to stainless price increase. 1 supplier tried to tell me the grant was actually for them to stay in business not for the farmer.
    looking at this grant and I see a few things I could do with as my safety on farm has to improve as got kids now.

Did my shed in 10 they were delighted to get the work no grant and about 2/3rds cheaper than neighbours that was built with grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

You can source product from any EU country. I think with EU regulation that you can reclaim vat through Irish revenue comissioners. However most NI companies and some UK companies will have an Irish VAT no as well. Bought slats from NI for last grant scheme. They wre 20% cheaper and of as good a spec if not better ( they were UK tractor spec but only Irish standard speced) than similar Irish slats.

On things like scales and steel for crushes it will be hard for suppliers to increase prices. Also the amount of grant money available will limit price increases. The last envoirment scheme was a couple of billion worth of work that was pushed into about 18 months. general building wark was strong at the time as well. This scheme will be much smaller and farmers will have better bargining power.

In general for the spect of shed I build the last time I think I stll got value for money yes I was gouged a bit but on scale of things it was at or near only 20% over and above normal prices. However from talking to grant inspector some were rode bare back but agaim there are always these inviduals.

• Advertisement

You can source product from any EU country. I think with EU regulation that you can reclaim vat through Irish revenue comissioners. However most NI companies and some UK companies will have an Irish VAT no as well. Bought slats from NI for last grant scheme. They wre 20% cheaper and of as good a spec if not better ( they were UK tractor spec but only Irish standard speced) than similar Irish slats.

... This scheme will be much smaller and farmers will have better bargining power.

In general for the spect of shed I build the last time I think I stll got value for money yes I was gouged a bit but on scale of things it was at or near only 20% over and above normal prices. However from talking to grant inspector some were rode bare back but agaim there are always these inviduals.

I suspect you are right about the smaller items - also things like re-wiring, yard lighting etc. are all subject to a wider market with very strong competition on materials prices.

Always bugs me when these grant schemes are dreamt up and end up increasing prices left right and centre. Civil Servants and politicians should have the words "unintended consequences" permanently tattooed somewhere they cant forget them.

micraX wrote: »
    Sure just use them over there and import the beef and milk:)

Seems a bit unfair... since the UK is actually paying for the grants, unlike Ireland which is a net recipient of EU funding, the least we could do is raise the animals for them and send them back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Seems a bit unfair... since the UK is actually paying for the grants, unlike Ireland which is a net recipient of EU funding, the least we could do is raise the animals for them and send them back!

Incorrect Grants for agri are totall Irish funded schemes

Incorrect Grants for agri are totall Irish funded schemes

"The Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine, Simon Coveney TD, today announced the introduction of a new Farm Safety Scheme. The Minister stated that everybody was acutely aware of the very high level of risk which Irish farms represented in terms of occupational safety. He was accordingly taking advantage of available funds under the old 2007-2013 Rural Development Programme in order to introduce a targeted scheme which would assist farmers to upgrade the standard of safety on their farms."

As far as I am aware the RDP is part of LEADER?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

How foes the scheme work exactly. What's the process?

Is it.....

Decide what you want to do
    Get quoations
    Apply to scheme.
    Get approval
    Get work done
    Claim back grant?

Is the grant repaid by cheque? Or tax credits ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

893bet wrote: »
    How foes the scheme work exactly. What's the process?

Is it.....

Decide what you want to do
    Get quoations
    Apply to scheme.
    Get approval
    Get work done
    Claim back grant?

Is the grant repaid by cheque? Or tax credits ?
    Money transferred to your nominated bank account, same one as SFP unless you nominate another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

Did my shed in 10 they were delighted to get the work no grant and about 2/3rds cheaper than neighbours that was built with grant

built a shed here in 2007 with grant built another in 2011
    similar size both done to grant spec cost twice as much and a
    bit more. Materials cost much the same the labour was a bit
    cheaper (same contractor top man) so i do not know how
    any one could build a grant spec shed for 2/3 price of grant
    one (example man spends €30k on grant shed gets €21k
    so it costs him €9k 2/3 that €6k) ????:confused:

No grant, contractor I got used the same suppliers as he did in the grant era.So when you priced he included all steel works and pens the works.He charged and payed them out of the fee.
    When I did the shed I used all the same suppliers but I dealt with them and payed them individually.
    Like doing a house direct labour.
    Edit:price per bay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

No grant, contractor I got used the same suppliers as he did in the grant era.So when you priced he included all steel works and pens the works.He charged and payed them out of the fee.
    When I did the shed I used all the same suppliers but I dealt with them and payed them individually.
    Like doing a house direct labour.
    Edit:price per bay
    I bought all materials for both my self just got contractor to shutter tank and put up sheds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Kowtow, if you factor in the fishing rights that we give up upon joining the EC you would find that we are net contributors. The fishing rights are worth billions.

Will get the scales and scoop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

What is the best head scoop and leg hoist out there?

Looking at Connaught agri ones at the minute ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 avent

is the vat refundable on weigh scales ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

avent wrote: »
    is the vat refundable on weigh scales ?

No, hard to reclaim it because it's not fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Reading some of posts here the old saying 'a bargain is only a bargain if you need it' springs to mind!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Bodacious wrote: »
    What is the best head scoop and leg hoist out there?

Looking at Connaught agri ones at the minute ?!

Barrett eng do a good headscoop for around 450. Have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Hey does anyone know when the Farm Safety Scheme is opening. When there's a 40% grant going, I want to invest in a weighing scales and portable sheep hurdles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭stop thelights

Wouldn't ya be sick if you had bought a head scoop or weighting scales at the ploughing!!

Hoping to replace slats that were planned for next year, must be 30 plus years old.

Also something that wasn't planned was the movement of a agitation point outside of the cow shed. Might do it now :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Hopefully well get the new shed wired for lecky. Probably won't get it connected but well rig somethin with a jenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Would love to get a calving gate myself, timing is bad as will need it for February. I'll get it either way I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Does anyone know what the procedure will be? It all sounds like something that could be open to abuse Will DD be full of "shop soiled" head scoops or, on the other hand, if on farm visits are required, will the whole thing cost more to administer than the value of the grants

• Advertisement
Advertisement