Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farm safety grants

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Think will all these grant aided things be made mandatory in the next few years ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Replacement of "damaged slats" is covered. I wonder what will qualify as a damaged slat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Muckit wrote: »
    Reading some of posts here the old saying 'a bargain is only a bargain if you need it' springs to mind!!

I know people who went broke from buying bargains.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

tanko wrote: »
    Replacement of "damaged slats" is covered. I wonder what will qualify as a damaged slat?

Replaced all slats last spring :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

_Brian wrote: »
    Replaced all slats last spring :(

How old were the slats you replaced? Were they in bad shape? Single slats replaced with gang slats i presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Would love to get a calving gate myself, timing is bad as will need it for February. I'll get it either way I'd say.

I imagine it will be a case of purchasing the items at full cost (after recieving confirmation of your acceptance into the scheme) and grant will issue some time later.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Hugh 2

Where do you apply?

I was looking at replacing 30 year old single slats a few years back and found nobody making or interested in making short slats

Also was surprised about mobile crush as opposed to permenant setup I have to put up something in outside farm and I would prefer permenant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

Hugh 2 wrote: »
    Where do you apply?

I was looking at replacing 30 year old single slats a few years back and found nobody making or interested in making short slats

Also was surprised about mobile crush as opposed to permenant setup I have to put up something in outside farm and I would prefer permenant.

Is the grant only for mobile crush if it is non vat regd farmers could not claim back vat

Is the grant only for mobile crush if it is non vat regd farmers could not claim back vat

The quote I am reading is from agri land

"Mobile Cattle Crush Unit (min 2.4m long)
    Mobile cattle penning max of 75 linear metres (in combination with a Cattle Handling unit)"

I don't see any mention of fixed pen or crush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

At the ploughing i was going to purchase. Barrett eng lads told me that this was coming and to hold off. Very sound of them.

one thing, does it only cover new equipment. Say i buy a second hand head scoop on DD and get receipt, can i throw it in. After all, it is the same thing and has same safety enhancement as a new one

ps how is a scales a safety feature. More kicks From getting some up on it than anything else Imo and then the hoors that go cracked on it trying to clear walls...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

TUBBY wrote: »
    At the ploughing i was going to purchase. Barrett eng lads told me that this was coming and to hold off. Very sound of them.

one thing, does it only cover new equipment. Say i buy a second hand head scoop on DD and get receipt, can i throw it in. After all, it is the same thing and has same safety enhancement as a new one

ps how is a scales a safety feature. More kicks From getting some up on it than anything else Imo and then the hoors that go cracked on it trying to clear walls...
    If it's like the Tams scheme which I'd say it is .. Only new items count with factory / shop invoice

I wondered too about the scales .. Wouldn't a p.t.o gaurd be far more applicable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Where do you apply?

On slats, I hear 20/25 yr lifetime mentioned lately. Is there any way to check if they need replacing ? Might take advantage of this now if these would be "considered" damaged.

tanko wrote: »
    How old were the slats you replaced? Were they in bad shape? Single slats replaced with gang slats i presume.

Singles changed for gangs. I'd say they were 35 years old. One broke with cattle in them in spring. The bottoms were flaking away. They were much worse than expected when coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Fuxake

kowtow wrote: »
    "The Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine, Simon Coveney TD, today announced the introduction of a new Farm Safety Scheme. The Minister stated that everybody was acutely aware of the very high level of risk which Irish farms represented in terms of occupational safety. He was accordingly taking advantage of available funds under the old 2007-2013 Rural Development Programme in order to introduce a targeted scheme which would assist farmers to upgrade the standard of safety on their farms."

As far as I am aware the RDP is part of LEADER?

Well it's the other way round. LEADER is a part (a very small part) of the Rural Development Plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

Where do you apply?

cant figure out what you mean by making short slats, i think a few companies make any size at a price. i was supposed to collect a few gang slats for a chap a few years ago but there was a problem, anyways i met him, explained the issue and discovered he had single slats ,so i recommended a salesman to him and he got the size he required in gang slats.

• Advertisement

sandydan wrote: »
    cant figure out what you mean by making short slats, i think a few companies make any size at a price. i was supposed to collect a few gang slats for a chap a few years ago but there was a problem, anyways i met him, explained the issue and discovered he had single slats ,so i recommended a salesman to him and he got the size he required in gang slats.

Back in 2007 (I think) was the last time I applied for grant for bulk tank and slats for a slatted collection tank while getting quotes for these slats I tried to also get quotations to replace some of my damaged single slats and probably put in agitation points ( I am fair fed up of lifting loads of single slats every time I want to agitate or spread slurry - they were inevitably left open till the job was finished )
    Well anyway no company I spoke was interested in quoting for them infact I found no company making slats as short a six foot. ( I will have to measure my slats again but I think they are something like six foot seven foot and eight foot.
    At the time there were companies not able to keep up with demand and twords the end of the grant deadline some companies could no longer give quotes for any slats.

On slats, I hear 20/25 yr lifetime mentioned lately. Is there any way to check if they need replacing ? Might take advantage of this now if these would be "considered" damaged.

My single slats 30 to 35 years old for the most part are in good nick but any slat that is being lifted for agitating are wrecked the concrete from underneath fallen away revealing the reinforcing bars.

Walking around the empty slurry tank underneath the slats the damaged ones are easily seen ( I do not recommend doing this )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

My single slats 30 to 35 years old for the most part are in good nick but any slat that is being lifted for agitating are wrecked the concrete from underneath fallen away revealing the reinforcing bars.

Walking around the empty slurry tank underneath the slats the damaged ones are easily seen ( I do not recommend doing this )
    That sounds very dangerous. You'd want to be very careful

That sounds very dangerous. You'd want to be very careful
    My tanks have sumps at the ends and when I was younger and madder I often used to scrape slurry to the ends that was when I noticed how bad some if the slats were becoming .

Those tragic deaths in Northern Ireland made me aware that you can easily die in empty slurry tanks so I am not doing this anymore.

Back in 2007 (I think) was the last time I applied for grant for bulk tank and slats for a slatted collection tank while getting quotes for these slats I tried to also get quotations to replace some of my damaged single slats and probably put in agitation points ( I am fair fed up of lifting loads of single slats every time I want to agitate or spread slurry - they were inevitably left open till the job was finished )
    Well anyway no company I spoke was interested in quoting for them infact I found no company making slats as short a six foot. ( I will have to measure my slats again but I think they are something like six foot seven foot and eight foot.
    At the time there were companies not able to keep up with demand and twords the end of the grant deadline some companies could no longer give quotes for any slats.

ya 6 foot slats would be problem to replace allright nearest would be 11.6" i think.(cant figure out how you have slats of that length )you could try cutting 11,6" or 12.6" or 14.6" (preferably tractor slats) in 2 and making a casing(or mould) to seal the ends with concrete of similar mix from a readymix plant. some work. the last slurry collection channels i saw were designed in such fashion that a gang slat in width covered them,so around 4ft . might be possible to get ones now though depending on number required. salesman told of a tank erected by a "contractor" who built the tank so the 12.6" slat the farmer intended to put on it would fall down inside tank.solution was cut 14 foot slat and case end in plant cost a few bob but.that's why i made suggestion re cutting slats and casing ends, would take approx month to cure,but could/would work. might meet salesman during week and ask if they make up slats to order to a size, its not exactly boom time now and they might be glad of work.personally imo, any single slat wont last as long as gang slats as they are constantly moving slightly and if i could turn clock back i would keep slurry tank in separate location such as steel overground tank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

ya 6 foot slats would be problem to replace allright nearest would be 11.6" i think.(cant figure out how you have slats of that length )you could try cutting 11,6" or 12.6" or 14.6" (preferably tractor slats) in 2 and making a casing(or mould) to seal the ends with concrete of similar mix from a readymix plant. some work. the last slurry collection channels i saw were designed in such fashion that a gang slat in width covered them,so around 4ft . might be possible to get ones now though depending on number required. salesman told of a tank erected by a "contractor" who built the tank so the 12.6" slat the farmer intended to put on it would fall down inside tank.solution was cut 14 foot slat and case end in plant cost a few bob but.that's why i made suggestion re cutting slats and casing ends, would take approx month to cure,but could/would work. might meet salesman during week and ask if they make up slats to order to a size, its not exactly boom time now and they might be glad of work.personally imo, any single slat wont last as long as gang slats as they are constantly moving slightly and if i could turn clock back i would keep slurry tank in separate location such as steel overground tank.

10ft 6" slats are common enough to get,not sure can you get shorter but best bet is just check around slat companys they,ll have some solution for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

There was a lad in Cork that made 8' or 8' 6'' slats. Not sure of his name but he was on department list for the 2008 enviorment scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

There was a lad in Cork that made 8' or 8' 6'' slats. Not sure of his name but he was on department list for the 2008 enviorment scheme.

There's little those men from Cork couldn't do!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Was talking to lads that do a bit of concrete work, due to the shape and layout of a particular yard they had to make the tank 8ft wide, but no one did and 8ft slat, instead they had to buy a bigger slat, I think in this case it was 12ft slats, and then chop them off along one of the central crosses so that it left a slat the right length

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

Anywhere that make pig slats should be set up to make 6 or 8 foot slats they'd be probably best to talk to try wrights in swans cross did a tank where I work with pig slats 100 foot by about 300 foot

Cutting slats doesn't sound like something that would be grant approved
    Anyway to add to the complication I would be trying to get agitation points in these slats
    I motives round the best slats and removed the bust or cracked ones and replaced them with steel frame and checkered checker plate hinged manholes
    I have been Intending to get these galvanise Dipped someday.

Anyway to add to the complication I would be trying to get agitation points in these slats
    I motives round the best slats and removed the bust or cracked ones and replaced them with steel frame and checkered checker plate hinged manholes

Well 10'6 slats are no problem to get. O Reilly Bros in Kingscourt cut gangs for me before delivering, that was width wise cuts but they'd be worth a shout anyway.

The few companies I spoke to were all ken for work and willing to deal.

Like yourself we were sick of lifting singles but iunfortunitely due to the layout in the shed an adjitation point wouldn't work for us. Ended up making an overhead gantry and hoist to lift half fangs and slide them back up the floor. Works well but still a big open end on the tank when they're up.

this work i referred was done by supplier not home cure as they say,at a price i think, might meet rep and ask him.can pm you if i meet him
    don't get what you did about manholes but ive seen a few crack where they attach to slat and whole slat had to be replaced by supplier.

this work i referred was done by supplier not home cure as they say,at a price i think, might meet rep and ask him.can pm you if i meet him
    don't get what you did about manholes but ive seen a few crack where they attach to slat and whole slat had to be replaced by supplier.

I have made three manholes using steel
    The first attempt was getting lad who makes trailers to bend an 8 by 4 sheet of checker plate ( non slip ) into a [____] profile (that is upside down - I could not find right symbols on phone )
    Took up four slats and put this down in place - using older I lift this away when I want to agitate
    My next two I got made angle iron frame to keep slats apart and cut 8 by 4 checker plate sheet in two to cover opening so I can open one side or the other or both ( both gives 8 by 4 opening) for agitating or spreading slurry so I have no bother opening or closing doors not ideal but a hell of a lot easier than horsing single slats on my ownsome

I have made three manholes using steel
    The first attempt was getting lad who makes trailers to bend an 8 by 4 sheet of checker plate ( non slip ) into a [____] profile (that is upside down - I could not find right symbols on phone )
    Took up four slats and put this down in place - using older I lift this away when I want to agitate
    My next two I got made angle iron frame to keep slats apart and cut 8 by 4 checker plate sheet in two to cover opening so I can open one side or the other or both ( both gives 8 by 4 opening) for agitating or spreading slurry so I have no bother opening or closing doors not ideal but a hell of a lot easier than horsing single slats on my ownsome
    sorry for asking this question as it sounds like im trying to pick holes in your work,have you strong mesh or grid underneath for time you have 8x4 cover removed, in case anything would/could fall in. you certainly have a hard time of agitating with no manhole cover in gang slat. i wonder if manhole gang slat was cut and 1 ft of end buried in concrete of yard, would it be approved by grant, should meet insurance approval but not sure.
    i thought single slats would not meet H&Safety approval without a proper agitating point even one on outside wall ie manhole in yard outside tank end, at any rate. in your case id take a look at new Grants for H&Safety that are available for farm investment, your case certainly sounds like it would meet approval if a planner was involved,depending on term and conditions, i heard slat replacement is included.maybe the ones you have will have to replaced under mandatory requirements later and agitating and suction hose point put into wall with manhole cover outside end, so check and see if you can get a few bob for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

The whole grant for safety related items is a great idea IMO.
    PTO covers should be in the list though as between them and slurry , they are the first things you would think of when thinking of accidents on a farm.

There is one thing though that i keep thinking about when looking at this scheme.
    Whats gonna happen when the money runs out . Every man and his dog will be looking to get something from this scheme, slats, manhole covers, wiring sheds, sliding doors etc.
    I just cant see there being enough money to go around( 12million isnt a lot. i konw its capped at 8k). Will it be reduced or first come first served. there could be a lot of people out of pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Is the application form yet for the scheme?

I see that there is a 9th Jan deadline but I have not seen anything in regard to how you apply, how you are approved, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

As far as I know croom concrete do an 8ft 6" slat. 2590mm on their website anyway as I was looking at replacing single slats on old 8ft water collection tank. This grant looks well timed for me might get a few quid back on a job that I had to do anyway.

Any idea on how to apply for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Cow Porter wrote: »

"(i) have a minimum of 5 hectares which have been declared under the Single Farm Payment Scheme/Area Aid/Integrated Administration and Control System in the year of application or preceding year if after 1st January 2015 or have a minimum of 20 production units in the case of Intensive Enterprises;"

Presumably that means that if you do not claim SFP (if, for example, you are waiting to invoke the so called Scottish Derogation) you are also excluded from the Farm Safety Scheme?

Think I'll go back to farming my farm and let the Government farm theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

anyone know where i can get the reference price list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Dunedin wrote: »
    Is the application form yet for the scheme?

I see that there is a 9th Jan deadline but I have not seen anything in regard to how you apply, how you are approved, etc?

I cant post links but the applic forms are on line

agriculture.gov.ie/farmerschemespayments/farmbuildings/farmsafetyscheme/

When you google images of mobile cattle crush you get some mighty exotic expensive looking systems .
    Anybody know of Irish made mobile crushes that would be good enough to be grant approved but not crazy expensive.
    I am now thinking in the way of putting up permanent pens and bring the crush when needed testing dosing etc.,

Still wondering why a permanent crush is not included. Paying the vat on a mobile one makes takes the shine off of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

When you google images of mobile cattle crush you get some mighty exotic expensive looking systems .
    Anybody know of Irish made mobile crushes that would be good enough to be grant approved but not crazy expensive.
    I am now thinking in the way of putting up permanent pens and bring the crush when needed testing dosing etc.,

Still wondering why a permanent crush is not included. Paying the vat on a mobile one makes takes the shine off of it.
    thats exactly why, they don't want to handle the vat repayments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauser77

Anyone get any prices for weighing scales yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Sami23

mauser77 wrote: »
    Anyone get any prices for weighing scales yet

Or anyone price calving gates or head scoops ?
    Also, can the head scoop be used on a current permanent crush for this scheme ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

A lad in my Btap group has a Nugent one he bought a few years back, it's a fair piece of kit and it has a rotating rump bar on it too which would be a right job for castrating or milking a suckler cow. Think he said it was around €2200 at the time. Can get them fitted with scales and leg hoists aswell if you want. There was a very good setup for the head gate in it aswell if I remember right.

Sami23 wrote: »
    Or anyone price calving gates or head scoops ?
    Also, can the head scoop be used on a current permanent crush for this scheme ?
    try this link it will bring up a whole selection of scoops and backing gate ideas
    butterfly gate castelrea mart.
    its on u tube
    it worked for me and well worth looking at. or this one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAMfhQxZ_bw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

kowtow wrote: »
    "(i) have a minimum of 5 hectares which have been declared under the Single Farm Payment Scheme/Area Aid/Integrated Administration and Control System in the year of application or preceding year if after 1st January 2015 or have a minimum of 20 production units in the case of Intensive Enterprises;"

Presumably that means that if you do not claim SFP (if, for example, you are waiting to invoke the so called Scottish Derogation) you are also excluded from the Farm Safety Scheme?

Think I'll go back to farming my farm and let the Government farm theirs.

Well that's me well out of the running so....damn it

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

Reggie. wrote: »
    Well that's me well out of the running so....damn it

The 2000 minimum spend exc vat may have alot of lads out from the start

• Advertisement

A lad in my Btap group has a Nugent one he bought a few years back, it's a fair piece of kit and it has a rotating rump bar on it too which would be a right job for castrating or milking a suckler cow. Think he said it was around €2200 at the time. Can get them fitted with scales and leg hoists aswell if you want. There was a very good setup for the head gate in it aswell if I remember right.

http://youtu.be/2VMx0y7UFag

Haven't seen video for Nugent but this Galway made system looks well

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kileir

Anyone else read through the S101C MINIMUM SPECIFICATION FOR RETROFITTING ROOF CLEAR SHEETS (ROOFLIGHTS) WITH SAFETY GRID yet? If I'm reading it correctly then it appears to consist of galvanised 16mm rebars with a bend at the end (sort of like a walking stick) that run the length of the rooflight from purlin to purlin spaced 6 inches apart so will run in every second ridge of standard 10/3 profile roof cladding. Should be enough to fit but what the hell are they looking for "concrete" and "slat" certificates for in section 3?? Looks like someone rushed this document through

3 Certificates
    The following certificates shall be collected, and given to the Department before grant-aid can be paid:
    (1) “Slat” Certificate
    (2) “Concrete” Certificate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Still wondering why a permanent crush is not included.

Me too, mind you mine is so old and f****d that you would be forgiven for thinking it was mobile. The cows certainly do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

has a rotating rump bar on it too which would be a right job for castrating or milking a suckler cow.

Any link to this rotating rump bar or can you describe it? Can't visualize this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

think you answered your own query, either you will get the grant or the vat refund, but you won't get both

was pricing some sheep stuff to day ... guess what prices well up since tullamore show,

might ring barretts in the morning about the mobile cattle crush , any one know the price
    (i'm sitting down now so I should be ok)

• Advertisement
Advertisement