Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GW8 Captain Poll

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Cesc Fabregas
    Golden Rule is never choose an Away captain

Costa scored two away against Everton and took three bonus in that game. 12 points.

I'm happy to pick who I feel is my best option this week and for me it's Aguero. I wouldn't pay too much heed to ownership.

I disagree. As I said above, Aguero is only owned by 12% so just having him is a decent differential.

Costa has 65% ownership and the majority are captaining him. If he has a better week than Aguero, you are going to lose alot of ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Danny Welbeck
    Lemlin wrote: »
    Costa scored two away against Everton and took three bonus in that game. 12 points.

I disagree. As I said above, Aguero is only owned by 12% so just having him is a decent differential.

Costa has 65% ownership and the majority are captaining him. If he has a better week than Aguero, you are going to lose alot of ground.

I get the logic but I still feel you have to go with who you think is the best option sure didn't you go with Aguero yourself last gameweek when he had an even smaller ownership granted the poll on here for captaincy was a lot closer than it is this week.

Cesc Fabregas
    I get the logic but I still feel you have to go with who you think is the best option sure didn't you go with Aguero yourself last gameweek when he had an even smaller ownership granted the poll on here for captaincy was a lot closer than it is this week.

Yep, and I spent the entire weekend biting my nails because I did! I now see that as an unnecessary risk that I shouldn't have taken.

I'd also point out that last GW I felt Aguero had a noticeably easier fixture. This GW I see very little between Palace away and Spurs home. Therefore letting the ownership percentages make the decision for me is the best way to go.

Costa's ownership is too high to risk not captaining him considering the start I've had. I'm performing fine so far this season. Slow and steady wins the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Danny Welbeck

I totally get this logic too, and if I was sitting pretty in even the top 100k I'd probably play it safe for those reasons. But I also agree with Busts that sometimes you have to go with your gut. I think palace away will a low scoring game, while City Spurs is for years now a high scoring fixture, Aguero has been looking sharper and sharper and is due to score big some of these weeks.

Also looking at Poccetino's record against City last year MC put 4 past Southampton at the Ethiad, although only drew 1-1 away.

Costa is safer, Aguero potentially epic though. Risk and reward baby.

Danny Welbeck
    Aaaagghhh, just realised I swore to never pick same captain as Busts though after a few shared disasters so far.....dammit! :confused:

Cesc Fabregas
    FHFC wrote: »
    I think palace away will a low scoring game, while City Spurs is for years now a high scoring fixture,

Warnock has been in charge of Palace for 5 PL games. They have conceded 2 or more goals in 3 of those games.

The other two games were clean sheets against Leicester and Burnley (who never score!!). They were home games though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Danny Welbeck
    Yep, and I spent the entire weekend biting my nails because I did! I now see that as an unnecessary risk that I shouldn't have taken.

I'd also point out that last GW I felt Aguero had a noticeably easier fixture. This GW I see very little between Palace away and Spurs home. Therefore letting the ownership percentages make the decision for me is the best way to go.

Costa's ownership is too high to risk not captaining him considering the start I've had. I'm performing fine so far this season. Slow and steady wins the race.

Could you not argue that because you've had a good start you're in a better position to kick on? Obviously box smart with little risks unlike what I did last GW but that was nuts and the worst thing I'll do all season. (That's probably the argument to throw back at me though :pac:)

Slow and steady will probably get you into the top 10k with a ceiling of roughly 1k but a few decisions on weeks like this could see you a lot closer to actually winning the race. Or crashing and burning. Or having one of those high-scoring weeks.

I'm not actually arguing against your tactic as it's obviously very successful and makes a hell of a lot of sense. It's just a difference in styles at the end of the day I guess which makes this place so interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Danny Welbeck
    Aaaagghhh, just realised I swore to never pick same captain as Busts though after a few shared disasters so far.....dammit! :confused:

Yes I have had a few nightmare selections alright. I'd still prefer to take my chances and back my instinct I can't go much lower than my current position anyway. I prefer agueros fixture so I have to go with my gut if Costa runs amok so be it. If I change to costa now and Aguero runs amok I'd be devastated.

Cesc Fabregas

Slow and steady will probably get you into the top 10k with a ceiling of roughly 1k but a few decisions on weeks like this could see you a lot closer to actually winning the race. Or crashing and burning. Or having one of those high-scoring weeks.

That's my game plan most weeks, Señor P, but I have already stated in this forum that I am in unfamiliar territory with my decent start. I'd like to remain in contention for as long as possible, and the surefire way to not do that is by taking captaincy risks.

Actually, I just had a look at my team, and if i had captained Costa in every game so far I would be 28 pts better off. That would move me from 2.5k to 41st place overall!

The way I look at it, I took risks by putting the armband on ulloa and jelavic in the past few gws and got away with it. Safe and sound from now until Christmas, sounds like a plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Di Maria for me. sterling's too tired, Costa may finally come of the bench

Danny Welbeck
    PELLEGRINI ON INTERNATIONAL PLAYERS: Mangala has a small muscle problem but I think he will be fit for Tuesday. All the others are ok.

MOURINHO ON COSTA
    After reeling off a list of his casualties, Mourinho was asked if Costa was a big doubt for Saturday and replied: "Yes."

He added: "The Spanish team played in Luxembourg on Sunday. I gave them Diego, [Cesc] Fabregas and Azpi [Cesar Azpilicueta] two days off [Monday and Tuesday], so they had to report Wednesday at 3pm. Diego was here Monday at 9am. That shows you how strong he is."

When asked if Costa had been forced to return early for medical treatment, Mourinho replied: "No comment."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Cesc Fabregas
    PELLEGRINI ON INTERNATIONAL PLAYERS: Mangala has a small muscle problem but I think he will be fit for Tuesday. All the others are ok.

MOURINHO ON COSTA
    After reeling off a list of his casualties, Mourinho was asked if Costa was a big doubt for Saturday and replied: "Yes."

He added: "The Spanish team played in Luxembourg on Sunday. I gave them Diego, [Cesc] Fabregas and Azpi [Cesar Azpilicueta] two days off [Monday and Tuesday], so they had to report Wednesday at 3pm. Diego was here Monday at 9am. That shows you how strong he is."

When asked if Costa had been forced to return early for medical treatment, Mourinho replied: "No comment."

As a captain, I'm now having doubts. Three games in 8 days for Chelsea including United.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Falcao
    Currently on Costa but thinking about switching to ADM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Falcao
    Costa has a knock again? Just checked the FPL site. Will take a punt on Di Maria on Monday night and make it a long weekend.

Cesc Fabregas
    TacT wrote: »
    Costa has a knock again? Just checked the FPL site. Will take a punt on Di Maria on Monday night and make it a long weekend.

Doesn't look like Mourinho said too much. More gamesmanship I'd imagine.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2014/10/17/5203931/diego-costa-a-big-doubt-for-palace-clash-says-mourinho
    Jouse Mourinho has revealed Diego Costa is a big doubt for Chelsea's trip to face Crystal Palace on Saturday after his exertions for Spain during the international break.

The Brazilian-born forward was one of three Blues players who linked up with La Roja, and, despite returning ahead of schedule, is facing a race against time to be fit for the trip to Selhurst Park - a ground where Chelsea lost last season.

The Portuguese stopped short of attacking Spain coach Vicente Del Bosque for selecting Costa against Slovakia and Luxembourg, but continued: "They [national coaches] have the power. We don’t have the power."

Costa has made a blistering start to life in the Premier League since his £35 million move from Atletico Madrid in the summer, scoring nine goals in his first seven matches.

• Advertisement

Danny Welbeck
    Doesn't look like Mourinho said too much. More gamesmanship I'd imagine.

Definately seems to be messing from Mourinho. But worrying for captainers all the same. As somebody said in the General thread if he does really need a rest this would probably be the one to do it in.

On the other hand history suggests this kind of mind games is usually followed by a Costa hat trick.

Cesc Fabregas
    Definately seems to be messing from Mourinho. But worrying for captainers all the same. As somebody said in the General thread if he does really need a rest this would probably be the one to do it in.

On the other hand history suggests this kind of mind games is usually followed by a Costa hat trick.

I think Maribor away on Tuesday will be the game to do it. Chelsea lost to Palace away last season. Don't think Jose will take a chance in this fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I think Maribor away on Tuesday will be the game to do it. Chelsea lost to Palace away last season. Don't think Jose will take a chance in this fixture.

Maribor will be his rest day IMO.

there's no way he's not starting this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

SlickRic wrote: »
    Maribor will be his rest day IMO.

there's no way he's not starting this weekend.

Telegraph has Costa looking at 3 Weeks out as he pulled up in training this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

dahat wrote: »
    Telegraph has Costa looking at 3 Weeks out as he pulled up in training this week.

If he's actually injured then that is different.

if true, then it's no bother for me tbh.

I've a good subs bench, Aguero as captain, and Welbeck can come in next week.

• Advertisement

Cesc Fabregas
    dahat wrote: »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/11169985/Chelsea-fear-Diego-Costa-injury-could-rule-striker-out-for-three-weeks.html

Last time the papers said he was out for six weeks. I was on a wildcard and took him out and he scored 12 points.

IMO he'll start unless these reports are correct. If they are correct, I've Aguero vice captain anyway.

Danny Welbeck
    Ah crap so Mourinho says that Costa's a doubt. That throws a spanner in captain Aguero due to Costa's impending hat-trick. Damn you Jose! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Danny Welbeck
    I was always captaining Aguero this weekend so the Costa doubt doesn't give me too much of a headache. Pelle VC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Danny Welbeck
    Currently in 6k

Have both Costa & Aguero but my head is telling me Baines!!! Everything is pointing me towards Baines...

Is this why I've never got my skipper right :)

Should I just play it safe??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cesc Fabregas
    Other: Kevin Nolan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Why the love for Baines? I've had him for weeks and the scruffy git hasn't done a thing to justify his price tag.. was thinking of dumping him.

Danny Welbeck
    Why the love for Baines? I've had him for weeks and the scruffy git hasn't done a thing to justify his price tag.. was thinking of dumping him.

1 goal, 3 assists in the last 5 games and now has an amazing run of fixtures.

The old saying does go "never captain or bench Baines" though

Missed penalties and goals galore conceded too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Cesc Fabregas
    If it's gonna be like that all season with Diego Costa and considering his huge ownership and his glorious form, this thread could be retitled

GWx Vice Captain Poll :D.

Aguero for me then. Though I just realised ADM is playing in the last game on Monday. Hmm... Last game (C) sounds appealing. Probably just out of stupid superstition though :rolleyes: :pac:...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

iroced wrote: »
    If it's gonna be like that all season with Diego Costa and considering his huge ownership and his glorious form, this thread could be retitled

GWx Vice Captain Poll :D.

Aguero for me then. Though I just realised ADM is playing in the last game on Monday. Hmm... Last game (C) sounds appealing. Probably just out of stupid superstition though :rolleyes: :pac:...

It could also be an agonising wait if Costa and/or Aguero fire in the goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Cesc Fabregas
    Missed penalties and goals galore conceded too.

Haha here go away. He missed one peno (he's generally lethal with them). De Gea was inspired last week otherwise we would a been looking at a 3rd double digit points haul from 4 from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

falcao :)

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Falcao
    think its gonna be my shiny new aguero!

manual_man wrote: »
    Haha here go away. He missed one peno (he's generally lethal with them). De Gea was inspired last week otherwise we would a been looking at a 3rd double digit points haul from 4 from him.

I'll hold on to him for now but Everton need to stop shipping goals at their current rate because even the assists points arent enough to keep hold of him on current form

Cesc Fabregas
    I'll hold on to him for now but Everton need to stop shipping goals at their current rate because even the assists points arent enough to keep hold of him on current form

I'm sure they'll get a few clean sheets. But Baines has looked lethal going forward lately that's his main appeal. Bonus point merchant too. Will possibly get him in next week myself with my extra transfer

Just bought him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Danny Welbeck

You don't deserve him!!!

Serious point scorer for a defender

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Raheem Sterling
    I'm undecided who I am going to pick as captain it's between lukaku or welbeck, I'm thinking lukaku mainly because I believe everton are bound to click and welbeck is carrying a slight knock

Cesc Fabregas
    Costa C Ivan V

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    I'm undecided who I am going to pick as captain it's between lukaku or welbeck, I'm thinking lukaku mainly because I believe everton are bound to click and welbeck is carrying a slight knock

NEVER captain lukaku

Raheem Sterling
    km79 wrote: »
    NEVER captain lukaku

Haha fair enough my only worry with welbeck is he is carrying a knock and don't want him going off after 20 minutes

Haha fair enough my only worry with welbeck is he is carrying a knock and don't want him going off after 20 minutes

I'd be wary about captaining wellbeck too!
    who is other striker

Raheem Sterling
    I'd be wary about captaining wellbeck too!
    who is other striker

Here is my team and reason it hasn't Costa and co is our group did a bidding fantasy league so who ever bids the highest is the only person that own's that player

Here is my team and reason it hasn't Costa and co is our group did a bidding fantasy league so who ever bids the highest is the only person that own's that player

oh.......then it really is between the 2 so
    flip a coin :D
    lukaku has looked so so poor since returning though

Raheem Sterling
    oh.......then it really is between the 2 so
    flip a coin :D
    lukaku has looked so so poor since returning though

Yeah normally its been easy enough to pick a captain, i might keep lukaku captain and welbeck vice captain

Did the coin toss and it was welbeck so going against faith oh god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Aguero. Costa appears have picked up a twinge. Historically, that's turned him into a beast but it surely can't happen again.

Can it? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I want to captain Falcao now but im afraid Costa will run riot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Cesc Fabregas
    Gone against the grain entirely and opted for Tadic instead of Costa. Lad has been unlucky in recent weeks, stats wise he is due a top performance so lets hope its this week at home to Sunderland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Brought in Baines and I'm captaining him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Cesc Fabregas
    Leaving it on Costa, dont trust Jose. Will go to Aguero if he is injured.

• Advertisement
Advertisement