Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuine security alert email, or scam?

Options
  • 15-10-2014 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, 

Today, I logged on to my online banking twice, once on my smartphone and once on my laptop. Both times I received an email immediately afterwards: 

[font=arial, sans-serif]As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the 365 Online system. We recently noticed the following issue on your account[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]We recently have discovered that multiple computers have attempted to log into your 365 Online account, and  multiple password failures were presented before the logons[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Unusual account activity made it necessary to limit account access until additional information can be collected:[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Verify your account information :[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]http://releaseblog.com/ieonline.portal_3.6.5.online_bank-of-ireland_newdb.personal.services_ie_netteller.Login.faces.joinacc.25CFFEBC57D7EFAA/[/font]

When I click through that link to, supposedly, the 365 page it's a hoodoola.com hosted page. The email itself comes from [font=arial, sans-serif]Online 3 6 5[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]<right@keep.com>[/font]

I thought this was pretty suspicious given the links etc, plus the fact that it came into both of my gmail accounts, which I don't think I've ever given to BOI. 
    Thought I would check up on this, and if it is some kind of scam then you guys should be aware of it. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I get at least one of these per day (or some variation on the theme).  They are 99% diverted by gmail into my spam folder.

I've never clicked on a link though - are you sure that was wise???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi The Cool,

Thank you for contacting us on Boards. 

These emails would not be from Bank of Ireland as we would never email our customers about activity on their account, looking for account information, or asking you to click on a resolution link. 
    These emails you are receiving would be phishing/ spam emails looking to gain access to your details. Please do not click on the link in the emails, or enter any information on the fraudulent website or link. 

If you have clicked on any links on the email, your computer may be compromised and we strongly recommend you run Anti-Virus software on your computer and do not access any online banking until your software confirms if your computer is clear from viruses. 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and please forward any emails you receive claiming to be from Bank of Ireland to 365security@boi.com

Please let us know if you need help with any other query. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 46 macbrada

I presume bank of Ireland monitor all online transactions for unusual activity such as a transfer to a foreign country that was never used by the account holder and would stop money going to the scammer?

This is surely a simple programme for an IT genius. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi macbrada,

Thanks for getting in touch. 

The security of our customers' accounts is of extreme importance to us. Although we cannot go into too much detail, we do have measures in place to monitor unusual activity on customer accounts. However, if a customer willingly adds a payee and transfers funds to that persons account, this can be difficult to resolve. 

We have information on online security here

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement