Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Flash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I don’t see how THE FLASH resets the timeline for the DCU, like Gunn said it would.

Unless Clooney is going to be Batman and Ezra Miller is going to carry on as Barry but I can’t see either happening. I wonder if they asked Clooney to shave?

And is Jason Momoa staying on as Aquaman? With Cavill ans Gadot out, I would much prefer the roles be recast. Bring Momoa back as Lobo later.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,949 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I was hoping that Clooney would be Bruce Wayne going forward and that the new 'batman' movies would actually be Batman Beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Think it was Gunn trying to build hype but his out that he wasn't lying is that they in cannon introduced

that there are a never ending number of multiverses that can span different time periods. Opens the door for DCU to be reset in a new multiverse

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just seen it. It was on average film. Nothing special about it and very predictable too. There was a nice few laughs in it do so better than Fast X but not as good as GOTG 3.

Ii was a 5 out of 10 film and too much badly done cgi too although there were some cool slow mo moments in it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Temura Morrison scene was priceless especially when Barry mentions his wife being a queen and he looks at her sleeping on the armchair.

Did he tell Barry “**** off” before hanging up? I was laughing and missed what he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,442 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So is Ben Afflicks Batman gone back to his home planet getting lost along the way and George Clooney is the new Bruce Wayne/Batman ?

Presume the

universe Barry ends back up in will not be seen again anytime soon after Aquaman 2 credits roll. From the options filmed they seem to have gone for the most out there one because there is zero ramifications.

The very questionable multiverse logic has left them massive wiggle room now to include any actor they want in Gunn's DCU

• Registered Users Posts: 38,442 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It's mad were in a 'battle of Multiverse theory's' between the MCU and DCEU

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this has lost the studio a couple of hundred mil.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Sometimes box office just doesn’t add up. This is like an Oscar winning movie next to morbius.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's mad the multiverse has become so prominent in pop culture in the first place; a relatively niche trope of Sci-Fi for a long while, now it's (everything) everywhere (all at once).

Beyond the MCU and DC universe you got the Spider-Verse and the aforementioned Daniels movie. I'm sure I've forgotten other instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Chris Pine Star Trek movies are multiverse.

The Happy Death Day movies did that trope as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sure, but so is catwoman, that’s not much of a boast though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd say with Morbius, everyone had low expectations and knew what to expect, so it just ticked along at that level. With The Flash, there was a lot of buzz in the last few months about how great the film was, and it ended up being a disappointment, which then puts people off seeing it altogether. Not to mention the issues with Ezra Miller, the fact they're striking when the iron is stone f*cking cold given how long the film has been in production and the death of the DCEU, and they gave away far too much of the film in trailers.

Morbius had the advantage of being so cheesey and laughably bad that some people went for fun.

Cat woman, ah let’s not get silly now that’s a different league of sh*t and didn’t make anything!

I didn’t have any expectations for flash, maybe that’s why I enjoyed it.

Its also getting much stronger audience scores then morbius but people just aren’t taking to it. I wonder if it’s anything to do with the whole thing being rebooted.

Gunn’s Suicide Squad and Peacemaker series are going to be part of the DCU and apparently Jason Momoa is going to remain as Aquaman so this universe will not be going anywhere.

To be honest, the fact that Cavill and Gadot are gone but the DCU won’t be a complete fresh franchise annoys me.

How many people know about that though?

So how bad at the box office is it?

I just use IMBD for most things movie or tv related. Quite handy for that stuff.

Morbius - critic score 35% , viewers 5.3/10 (139k votes) - worldwide gross 167mil

Catwoman: critic score 27% , viewers 3.4/10 (122k votes) - worldwide gross 82mil

The flash: critic score 56% , viewers 7.3/10 (63k votes) - worldwide gross 176mil

Granted the flash will make more and get more votes as it’s just out , but I find these sort of comparisons mad.

I mean if you look at Eternals critic score 52% , viewers 6/3/10 (361k votes) - worldwide gross 400mil

Thats considered by all concerned a poorer movie and still double the return.

I know these things happen , I just don’t think the flash deserves the lack of return for what it was. I think DC are a bit unfortunate because they have several movies that viewers seem to enjoy that just can’t build up steam. Marvel have solid relative success regardless of what sort of movie they throw out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This film has been cursed from the outset. 9 years in the making, a tonne of directors and restarts; meanwhile the entire universe gets junked cos it became broadly hated. The star turning out to be a toxic mess. The tethering of this film's marketing so heavily to Michael Keaton stank of desperate Nostalgist trawling; there's an audience for a Flash for sure, but like Black Adam there has been this sense of redundancy to the whole thing. I'm entirely unsurprised audiences have shrugged their shoulders.

It’s not morbius bad , that was my initial point and yet it may not make an awful lot more then that steaming turd.

It’s not like there’s not examples of movies that critics got badly wrong (Venom) and audiences missed at first (Shawshank).

I guess most people don’t really pay attention to movies outside of when they are released. It’s just funny how sometimes it’s about being the right movie at the right time, rather than the box office takings having a Lot to do with the movie itself.

This could have been an epic 9/10 surprise and it still would have had its disappointing opening and even word of mouth wouldn’t have pushed it to a billion. I suppose DC have really made a mess as you said and people just don’t trust they will make anything (in the pg realm) that’s really worth a cinema visit. While marvel can make up whatever they want and they just seem to be able to live off their Avengers phase 1-3 movies.

• Advertisement

Of course there has also been the whole Zaslov Warner's take over that has itself been a shítshow.

Honestly I think the DC universe is a busted flush, and the best thing Gunn could do is return to Batman, Superman and never the twain shall meet. Ignore the bench for now. Build up the good will again, start slow with single movies dedicated to their titular hero before even talking justice leagues or multiverse. Stop trying to ape the MCU structure of interconnectivity; not sure where that might leave Matt Reeves Batman or the Joker films.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

You're not factoring in their respective budgets, or that generally movies need to make 2.5x that budget (accounting for marketing spend and cinemas taking around 50% of ticket sales). Morbius cost $70m. Catwoman cost $100m. Flash cost $200m. Eternals cost $236m. Technically Morbius actually came closest to making a profit and maybe has done from VOD sales.

It is more the theory of DCEU vs everyone else. I can't remember any show or movie even coming close to the DCEU strained logic.

The whole concept that there is an infinite multiverse means every possibility is out there so the universe they spent most of the time during the movie would have been just fine if they left it at that rather than their spaghetti nonsense.

To try to shoehorn the Flash story they made an absolutely insane leap that

saving the life of a random woman impacts what happened decades before that with people who she never had contact with afterwards, including a man being born before he would have been and one alien capturing a baby alien in space.

Agree with most of this.

Feel there was a huge overestimation of the draw of Keaton's Batman in this scenario.

He isn't the 'Batman' of the vast majority of the general public - there have been several iterations since then. Even then, I'm skeptical how many who have ties to Keaton in the role would have interest in the rest of the marketing for the Flash as it is such a different type of movie from Keaton's. It is a bit of an oddity where for most I'd argue that the sum is less than their separate parts. Spider-man NWH worked so well because of the overlap between those who are still interested in the MCU and the previous iterations.

Another thing that is being a bit overplayed is the impact of the decision to get rid of the DCEU in the performance of the movie. Most of the viewing public has any idea that has happened so few skipped this movie because of it. Gunn is going to run into the same issue if he thinks he gets a blank slate with his Superman - people don't know things are changing, which makes all the more sense why they're changing the actors to at least make it seem like a break

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

A quite disappointing movie, but better then last few superhero movies I have seen like Antman, Black Adam and Dr Strange. The over the top nostalgia in the movie really dragged it down. Some of the jokes even relied on audiences being aware of plots/catch phrases from over 30 years ago. Supergirl and Zod were totally wasted in the film , both got so little screen time and little development. Thought the Russia segment was one of the best action sequences I have seen in a long while just involved some good interaction between all the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Because the reputation of this film hasn't been tarnished enough...

They can't get people to pay for the movie with actual money. Now they're trying to sell special digital versions as NFTs which are, pretty much as we speak, falling through the floor in price as a whole.

The journey of this film is just so deflating. The Flash should, and could, have been a romping old school superhero adventure. And we've had similar speedstere with Quicksilver form X-Men or the kid from The Invincibles, so the concept was primed.

$262 million and I see it has just crashed out of the US box office. A very sad end to a film I had quietly kept some hope for through all the years of constant director changes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Warners dropped it on VOD today.

I guess they want to try and make some money from it while it is somewhat still current.

Aye it's on digital now: watched the first 20 minutes out of curiosity; absolutely abysmal FX. I had heard much snark about it but ye god's it was genuinely dreadful stuff. A useful strawman for anyone wanting to bash modern blockbusters as incoherent CGI noise - but it wasn't even convincing CGI noise.

Plus once more I got distracted by the fact Gotham was clearly Glasgow. Every time, lol, dunno why Glasgow stands out so much for me.

• Advertisement

At 20 minutes in I'm not even sure you've gotten to the worst of the CGI

Advertisement