Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 5s from America

• 15-10-2014 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi All, Just wondering. Apple have an iPhone 5s on their US Site that is Unlocked and Sim-Free. Will this phone work in Ireland with the 3 Network? This is probably sounds very silly but I really don`t have a clue. I would really appreciate any help as my daughter is anxious to get one of these phones for Christmas and it seems a lot cheaper from the US Apple site. Thanks in Advance...

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Seaniemac wrote: »
    Hi All, Just wondering. Apple have an iPhone 5s on their US Site that is Unlocked and Sim-Free. Will this phone work in Ireland with the 3 Network? This is probably sounds very silly but I really don`t have a clue. I would really appreciate any help as my daughter is anxious to get one of these phones for Christmas and it seems a lot cheaper from the US Apple site. Thanks in Advance...

No, not silly. Just asked about a million times already. Please use the search facility using USA or States or America. They won't ship it to Ireland, by the way, if thats what you're thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

It will work fine, just need to switch the charger. But you can't order off the US website as was previously mentioned.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

And you will have no warranty either.

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭Ibetit

having no warranty is a big problem if there will be something wrong with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Do you know anyone in America that could get one for you and send it home?

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Have used the warranty on US bought Apple kit plenty of times.

In an iPhone?
    I know macs and iPads have worldwide cover but the phone specifically says cover in country of purchase.

Sure I bought mine in NI over the years and I had to get it back to the Belfast Store for a warranty claim on my old 5.

OSI wrote: »
    Have used the warranty on US bought Apple kit plenty of times.

True,

I sent an iPod bought in America down to Apple in Cork in 2004 and they fixed it no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Doodah7

True,

I sent an iPod bought in America down to Apple in Cork in 2004 and they fixed it no problem

Stop using spurious examples from auld-God's time which only mislead. Have a look here:
    https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ios-warranty-document-us.html

and specifically the wording:

IMPORTANT RESTRICTION FOR iPHONE AND iPAD SERVICE.

Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone and iPad to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device.

tallpaul wrote: »
    Stop using spurious examples from auld-God's time which only mislead. Have a look here:
    https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ios-warranty-document-us.html

and specifically the wording:

IMPORTANT RESTRICTION FOR iPHONE AND iPAD SERVICE.

Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone and iPad to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device.

Good job I was mentioning an iPod then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Who cares about an iPod in an iPhone thread?

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    Who cares about an iPod in an iPhone thread?

Using it as an example to how Apple tend to react in these situations, you call them up, and generally they help out, as in my case, and the guy above with the iPhone & iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭zeromedic

U.S. bought Macbook Pro - Failed motherboard. (Repaired here by Apple under warranty without question and in a very fast professional manner)

U.S. bought iPhone 5s with a failed lightning connection board. (Replaced without question here).

Regardless of what Apple state on their site(which is only to appease their very large investor AT&T), they stand by there warranties.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Using it as an example to how Apple tend to react in these situations, you call them up, and generally they help out, as in my case, and the guy above with the iPhone & iPad.

iPods have worldwide warranty. iPads and iPhones don't. If you buy a US one, be prepared to send it back and forward to the US for repair at your own expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Good job I was mentioning about spurious examples then.

whiterebel wrote: »
    iPods have worldwide warranty. iPads and iPhones don't. If you buy a US one, be prepared to send it back and forward to the US for repair at your own expense.

The 2 people above didn't have to send their iPhone's back to America.

zeromedic wrote: »
    U.S. bought Macbook Pro - Failed motherboard. (Repaired here by Apple under warranty without question and in a very fast professional manner)

U.S. bought iPhone 5s with a failed lightning connection board. (Replaced without question here).

Regardless of what Apple state on their site(which is only to appease their very large investor AT&T), they stand by there warranties.

Laptops have worldwide warranty anyway. Read on KCeire's example of how they didn't respond to the warranty claim as you would expect.

AFAIR, 1st gen iPad were ok until the difference in 3G hardware meant they couldn't be repaired outside their own territory.

With Apple, a lot depends on if the repair centre or call centre spot the fact it is US supply iPhone. A chance I wasn't willing to take when I was in the US a couple of weeks ago, TBH.

No, it wasn't even mentioned.
    The 2 people above didn't have to send their iPhone's back to America.

And yes. They knew it was U.S. bought in both instances.
    Laptops have worldwide warranty anyway. Read on KCeire's example of how they didn't respond to the warranty claim as you would expect.

AFAIR, 1st gen iPad were ok until the difference in 3G hardware meant they couldn't be repaired outside their own territory.

With Apple, a lot depends on if the repair centre or call centre spot the fact it is US supply iPhone. A chance I wasn't willing to take when I was in the US a couple of weeks ago, TBH.

zeromedic wrote: »
    And yes. They knew it was U.S. bought in both instances.

Kceire's example which I should have elaborated was bought in Belfast, and they wouldn't deal with it in Ireland, so go figure. Worse again, it would be exactly the same channels to deal with it....same repair centre, courier etc.

Kceire's example which I should have elaborated was bought in Belfast, and they wouldn't deal with it in Ireland, so go figure. Worse again, it would be exactly the same channels to deal with it....same repair centre, courier etc.

Yes, they would not entertain me on it with my 5.

its great that Apple will honour some warranty claims outside of the US with them, but still, it had to be mentioned to the OP so they have all facts available to them.

They can then make an informed decision on whether to buy or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

There has been a few threads in this forum about Apple refusing warranty on US bought iPhones because of the different LTE chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lm01

I think what people are trying to say here is that they MAY refuse service as it states in the T&Cs. It's not a guarantee either way.

If you're prepared to take the chance that you probably won't have a problem and that they will probably repair it in Ireland if you do, then go ahead.

But do be aware that they can refuse to do so and have done for some people in the past.

Advertisement