Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islamic Values Under Attack?

Options
  • 15-10-2014 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Is this a practical joke?

There was recently a talk in UCD about the above mentioned title
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202757560204445&set=gm.10152305397000974&type=1&theater

I couldn't believe it when I saw their posters around campus

They are actually trying to defend this?

For example murdering people because of their sexuality

Making women practically property by making them cover up, stopping them from interacting with the rest of society and being under total control of their husband

This is a culture where if a woman gets raped she is held responsible and punished

Culturally they have contributed nothing to the rest of world except repression

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Well, they are technically under attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

UCDCritic wrote: »
    Culturally they have contributed nothing to the rest of world except repression

I don't identify myself, and I respect all religions, but even for you that's a bit too cutting.

You, along with 90% of the Western world, have fallen into the narrow minded outlook of Islam as portrayed by Fox New et al. Sadly its the minority that get the majority of the headlines.

If you want to see what extremism looks like I'd recommend watching this by Vice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUjHb4C7b94 And then compare it to the often wonderful Islamic people we meet and share this world with.

I think its safe to say the majority of Ireland couldn't give me 2 lines about Islam if I asked them as we have a major allergic reaction to any form of religious education or tolerance. Should be compulsory for all students to learn the basic premise of all religions. If nothing else, it will give you a world view and stop being culturing tripping up when they travel to a different country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

ironclaw wrote: »
    I don't identify myself, and I respect all religions, but even for you that's a bit too cutting.

You, along with 90% of the Western world, have fallen into the narrow minded outlook of Islam as portrayed by Fox New et al. Sadly its the minority that get the majority of the headlines.

If you want to see what extremism looks like I'd recommend watching this by Vice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUjHb4C7b94 And then compare it to the often wonderful Islamic people we meet and share this world with.

I think its safe to say the majority of Ireland couldn't give me 2 lines about Islam if I asked them as we have a major allergic reaction to any form of religious education or tolerance. Should be compulsory for all students to learn the basic premise of all religions. If nothing else, it will give you a world view and stop being culturing tripping up when they travel to a different country.

When I say culturally they have contributed nothing to the rest of the world I'm referring to the Sam Harris video.

He has studied the cultural and this is his finding, watch the video.

I also want to note I'm seeing a lot of people walking around UCD with their faces covered up.

Something needs to be done about this

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I also want to note I'm seeing a lot of people walking around UCD with their faces covered up.

You can't actually be serious?

• Advertisement

You can't actually be serious?

About female repression, yes I am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I've noticed a few people wearing a niqab or (more often) a hijab (which doesn't cover the entire face). If it's their choice, I don't see anything wrong with it.

What do you suggest should be done about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

About female repression, yes I am

It's a choice to cover up your face, not an obligation. And why would you be offended by it? What has a women covering her face got to do with you anyway. Do your research before posting mate. Or you will sound even more stupid that you already do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

That's it, I'm done. Goodbye, UCDCritic. It's been... Well. It's certainly been.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement