Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome Meeting in Hari - what should we expect?

Options
  • 15-10-2014 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi , We have an appointment for the Hari re ivf/icsi. It's a welcome meeting. What should we expect from this meeting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TomeeTipee

Bvon wrote: »
    Hi , We have an appointment for the Hari re ivf/icsi. It's a welcome meeting. What should we expect from this meeting?

Hi Bvon, this is what happened at my Hari welcome meeting:

We first met with someone who checked over our registration form and asked for a copy of our ID for their file.

We were then taken upstairs to meet with one of the doctors on the hari team. I'd say we spent about an hour with him and he went through the protocol that I would be using, our chances of success etc. We had plenty of time to ask loads of questions.

After that, we were brought in to meet with one of the counselors. I think this session can be for as long or short as you would like. For some couples, it is just a quick chat to say hello and let people know about the counseling service that is available. Some people may not want to do any more than this. For others, it is a chance to talk about how you are feeling etc so it is really up to you if you want to talk about things. I found the counseling quite good and have availed of the free service in hari at other times.

Finally, we were brought back downstairs to discuss the financial side of ivf and to pay for that days consultation (€160).

Overall, I'd say we were there for 2 - 3 hours and I found it to be very informative. Hopefully that is of some help to you. Best of luck with everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Bvon

TomeeTipee wrote: »
    Hi Bvon, this is what happened at my Hari welcome meeting:

We first met with someone who checked over our registration form and asked for a copy of our ID for their file.

We were then taken upstairs to meet with one of the doctors on the hari team. I'd say we spent about an hour with him and he went through the protocol that I would be using, our chances of success etc. We had plenty of time to ask loads of questions.

After that, we were brought in to meet with one of the counselors. I think this session can be for as long or short as you would like. For some couples, it is just a quick chat to say hello and let people know about the counseling service that is available. Some people may not want to do any more than this. For others, it is a chance to talk about how you are feeling etc so it is really up to you if you want to talk about things. I found the counseling quite good and have availed of the free service in hari at other times.

Finally, we were brought back downstairs to discuss the financial side of ivf and to pay for that days consultation (€160).

Overall, I'd say we were there for 2 - 3 hours and I found it to be very informative. Hopefully that is of some help to you. Best of luck with everything!

Tomee Tipee, thank you.
    Had something like that before but we dudn't take it further as with unemployment. Getting very nervous now. Will they tell us when we can start treatment etc? All this waiting is killing me..
    Suppose that depends on our results

Bvon wrote: »
    Tomee Tipee, thank you.
    Had something like that before but we dudn't take it further as with unemployment. Getting very nervous now. Will they tell us when we can start treatment etc? All this waiting is killing me..
    Suppose that depends on our results

Bvon, if all results are up to date and there are no further tests needed, you can usually start pretty much straight away, i.e. on your next cycle or the one after. They should be able to give you a rough start date (exact date will obviously depend on when your period arrives). I know what you mean about all the waiting, I hate that part!!

TomeeTipee wrote: »
    Bvon, if all results are up to date and there are no further tests needed, you can usually start pretty much straight away, i.e. on your next cycle or the one after. They should be able to give you a rough start date (exact date will obviously depend on when your period arrives). I know what you mean about all the waiting, I hate that part!!

Hopefully it'll all start soon. Im terrified but feels like a weight has been lifted of our shoulders now that we are doing something.
    His mother was battling cancer last year and died in Jan. We couldnt cope with going ahead with treatment will all the stress. Now last Thurs my mother got news she has it & is waiting for a hospital appointment. Wish i could stop being so stressed.
    I'll be 3 days from starting my cycle when i have welcome meeting, they'd hardly start that soon would they?

Bvon, I'm sorry to hear about your mum. Hopefully she will be ok. We've had similar difficult times in our families, but time is not on our side, so we still wanted to go ahead with ivf asap, even though it is extra stress.

If your period is due a few days after your appointment, I'm not sure if you would be able to start that soon. It would depend on your protocol as well. The short protocol starts around day 2 of your cycle (that's the protocol that I was on), but the long protocol usually starts around mid way through a cycle, with the main stimulation phase starting when the following period arrives. So it would all depend on what protocol they recommend for you. If you need any more tests or anything, that could also cause a delay. Best of luck anyway, one way or another it sounds like you be starting sometime in the next few weeks!

• Advertisement

I ended up getting a scan at the welcome meeting. Outcome was i had a cyst on my ovary. So they prescribed me 2 months of decapepityl injection. Since i lost my cycle on this how long will it take for my period to return? I presume they don't start till my period returns?
    Ive to go back for a scan so hopefully that will start my treatment.
    Im just wishing for Christmas to be over so i can get a move on.

Advertisement