Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Standing up to teachers

• 15-10-2014 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I'm in 5th year and I've got a ***** of a teacher. She tries to be intimidating but she's not really. I wouldn't say I'm afraid of her by any means but I'm not great at standing up for myself. How can I stand up for myself in future when she starts giving me ****?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

Stop being a cheeky pup and do your homework.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Show her mickey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Cry at her aggressively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Something something crutches. Something something baby steps.

Seriously though most teachers will think you're being cheeky if you try to stand up for yourself because God forbid a student is correct about something.

Put the head down and get on with it, before you know it you'll never have to see her again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I'm in 5th year and I've got a ***** of a teacher. She tries to be intimidating but she's not really. I wouldn't say I'm afraid of her by any means but I'm not great at standing up for myself. How can I stand up for myself in future when she starts giving me ****?

I had a teacher that used to imitate me and just generally pick on me in class. At the end of the class, when another teacher was in the room, I asked if she had a problem with me.

When she pled ignorance, I listed off the things she had done. She never said a word to me after that ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭mrskinner

Just change classes? Although you may have problems with other teachers? parents? guards?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

clear sign she fancies your. Lay the gob on her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

No matter what you are going to be in trouble. SO just do it whatever way you want, school is great they consequences are tiny as long as you dont physically assault her.

Tell her to **** off, you'll regret it if you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

If you feel you have a genuine grievance go to your parents and ask them to contact her, be sure you have a list of good arguments. Otherwise it sounds like you might have an attitude issue.

Your teacher is hired to do a job and you should keep your head down and do your work, rather than thinking of ways to stand up to her. Maybe if you did that you wouldnt have issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Teacher here;
    Just talk to her after class, straight out day you don't feel comfortable in her class, and your not sure if ye just got off on the wrong foot or something, but you would like her to be aware of it.
    Honestly, sometimes teachers just don't like students; perhaps she just got a wrong first impression or something, but change her mind about you before it's cemented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

it's more of a personality thing. I hate her, she hates me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Maybe shut your mouth and do what your told?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Cait87

shalalala wrote: »
    I had a teacher that used to imitate me and just generally pick on me in class. At the end of the class, when another teacher was in the room, I asked if she had a problem with me.

When she pled ignorance, I listed off the things she had done. She never said a word to me after that ! :D

Yep, do it in front of one of her colleagues. That will make her look un-professional, and she may think twice. Your there to be taught not to be picked on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why is she giving you hassle? Does she give you hassle because you don't have work done for her class, because you disrupt the class, etc?

I had an Irish teacher in 3rd year who was a complete cow to most people, and me in particular. But if I'm being perfectly honest with myself, 80% of the time I arrived into her class with no homework done and no interest in engaging with the subject. If I'd just done the work or asked to be dropped to pass Irish, the problem would have gone away.

seamus wrote:
    I had an Irish teacher in 3rd year who was a complete cow to most people, and me in particular. But if I'm being perfectly honest with myself, 80% of the time I arrived into her class with no homework done and no interest in engaging with the subject. If I'd just done the work or asked to be dropped to pass Irish, the problem would have gone away.

Must be a coincidence that she's an Irish teacher too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That's life. You'll meet that in college too. And in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

This makes you sound like a little prick.

bobmalooka wrote:
    This makes you sound like a little prick.

How may i ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Are you a pain in the arse in class? I ask because only now that I teach do I realise what a total pain in the hole I must've been for many of my teachers (I never stopped talking).

• Advertisement

There you go so. You have two options:

1. Just keep your head down, do whatever homework has been assigned and learn to not antagonise her
    2. Speak to your parents and get them to arrange a transfer to another class.
    3. Talk to the principal and ask him/her to arrange a one-to-one session to work out a compromise between you and the teacher.

She's probably well aware that the two of you butt heads every day, and she too would rather that she didn't have to deal with that crap every day.

Teachers are human too. They want to go into school every day and have a nice easy and relaxing day that doesn't involve giving students crap and dealing with attitudes. It's unfortunate that most of us don't realise this until we're already ten years out of school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Teacher here;

Well. :pac:

seamus wrote:
    1. Just keep your head down, do whatever homework has been assigned and learn to not antagonise her 2. Speak to your parents and get them to arrange a transfer to another class. 3. Talk to the principal and ask him/her to arrange a one-to-one session to work out a compromise between you and the teacher.

seamus wrote:
    She's probably well aware that the two of you butt heads every day, and she too would rather that she didn't have to deal with that crap every day.

seamus wrote:
    Teachers are human too. They want to go into school every day and have a nice easy and relaxing day that doesn't involve giving students crap and dealing with attitudes. It's unfortunate that most of us don't realise this until we're already ten years out of school.

I get what your saying. I will admit I do talk a bit in class but I do all homework assigned and am a good student in general (except her class)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I get what your saying. I will admit I do talk a bit in class but I do all homework assigned and am a good student in general (except her class)

Last bit contradicts the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Had a tool of a geography teacher in 1st year, I was excellent at the subject and used to point out to him when he was wrong. One day after I drew on the blackboard to show him how he was wrong he got the hump and hated me thereafter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Well then since she only knows how you are in her class and not any other time how would she know what kind of student you "generally" are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

A quiet word after class inforrming her that she has been sexually harassing you. €100 a week cash will make her new problem go away.
    You'll make a few quid and she'll transfer out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

OP ask yourself honestly if you give your teacher a reason to be annoyed with you. If you do, then there's your answer- stop pis*ing her off and maybe she'll get off your back. If you don't, then you need to see if there's a way ye can get on. Maybe chat to her on her own or get a parent to ring the school.

I'm a teacher (I teach Irish too as it happens) and no teacher goes into class wanting to nag at any individual student. They just want to teach. You're only one of probably about 100-150 students this teacher teaches so I seriously doubt she's overly occupied with annoying you specifically more than any other student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

We've learned two thinggs about seamus. He has a dubious grasp of maths and Irish :D

OP, I suggest being a model student for a week (as much as it kills you) and if she's still acting the maggott do as suggested ask her if there is a misunderstanding because you don't understand why you are being singled out. If she stops, then great.

It's more important for you to learn in the class than to rebel. She'll still have a job, so try and resolve it.

Then at the end of 6th year call her every name under the sun. It wont be long coming around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

It honestly depends on the situation
    If she picks on you for absolutely no reason e.g if you're not sure of the answer or if she singles you out then fair enough. Get transferred into another class if you're really not happy with it or else get on with it and do the work.
    If you don't do the work for her class or don't put in any effort then she's right to give out to you.
    I had a problem where me and a particularly annoying English teacher who spewed stories about his life every day (with no relevance to the subject). I went to the principal, left a complaint that I was learning nothing and so did a couple of other people. We were moved into the ordinary level class and we are now split into higher level and ordinary level. I hear from the students in his class that he talks about the ordinary level class (that i am in) and how we will aspire to nothing.
    So if you have a genuine problem with a teacher you do have a right to complain. But if you're someone who sits there and daydreams all day and then complains when a teacher gives out, then you don't. Simple.

smcgiff wrote: »
    We've learned two thinggs about seamus. He has a dubious grasp of maths and Irish :D
    :D
    I initially only had two options and then added one, but forgot to change it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Dunno OP you're not giving us a lot to go on...(but you probably shouldn't be too specific either). On one hand it seems like your teacher runs a tight ship with NO messin or talking allowed.. and on the other you admit you are a 'bit chatty'... So obviously she wants you to stop talking.

I don't really give a care if someone 'does their homework' but still persists on preventing other people's learning by having a little chat in class or whatever..
    Just stop talking.

If you want to stand up to her and you feel that you are being treated unfairly then hey.. just stand up to her and say "I think I'm being treated unfairly and I want to do well in the subject" and see what she has to say.

It's a bit early to start drawing battle lines now though as you'll have another 2 years of her to go yet!!! I get the impression it's the first time you have come across this teacher too so maybe just reserve judgement for a little bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

I've had that situation happen to me a couple of times. In the end it was a clash of personalities. After that there were no problems be. And I always had my work done and was on time, so there was no other reason.

Advice:
    1. Dont be late - i know that it can be incredibly annoying for people to show up late, so I can only imagine what its like for the one teaching

2. Do all your work, at the end of the day YOU have to sit exams. And "I didnt do well because my teacher didnt like me" isnt gonna work. And he/she is trying to their job. Its probably frustrating when the work they assign to benefit you isnt being done. So just keep your head down. It can only benefit you

3. TALK to them - You can be amazed what can be revealed when you just talk. You have no idea how he/she is feeling about you as their student. And if they got the wrong impression of you, talking can at least change their opinion somewhat. And you get to say how you feel.

4. Be on your best behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

THat there is your one and only problem! the reason is that no matter what work or homework you have done for or in the class when you are "chatting" you distract others from their work and that requires the teacher to address your behaviour when they should be teaching you and others!

I know someone who was the same and could not keep her gobby trap shut and when told to keep quiet she would talk back to the teachers and get detention and eventually the teachers just gave up on her and ignored her and any work she did.

If you want to learn then keep your mouth shut! Don't be thinking or mumbling "your not the boss of me!" because as soon as you walk in that classroom door she is the boss!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

A teacher will only give out to you if you are being troublesome.

So look to your own behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I will admit I do talk a bit in class but I do all homework assigned and am a good student in general (except her class)

There you go.

You admit the problem.

It's yours to solve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

Geuze wrote: »
    There you go.

You admit the problem.

It's yours to solve.
    No its too late for that, she is the problem now
    Tell her to her face that the next time she annoys you will call her a fat ugly cow in front of the whole class.
    Or imply that her husband doesn't fancy her in bed anymore.
    This could actually be the source of her frustration.
    The risk of being undermined will be too great and she will back off immediately. Worst case scenario, a period of suspension, but you will be a legend for a while.
    Man up and sort it out.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Use 5 instead of S in your username.
    Mix it around..you'll never make a phr3@kr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

One thing I don't get is why do people always side with the teacher in most cases, teachers can be unjust and unfair too. I'm lucky that I didn't have those kind of teachers in secondary where they picked on people for no good reason, mine were strict but fair.

Primary was a different story, was over 12 years ago but one story sticks out in my mind and still pisses me off today.

I was in 6th class, had a lady teacher, she could get really snipy for no reason but she wouldn't have punished ya if you didn't deserve it and wouldn't have punished you if you got a question wrong especially. Anyway this particular week, my older sister was in transition year and she always wanted to be a teacher, so she came to my primary school, which was also her old primary school to do her work experience. So she went from class to class all week helping teachers out by correcting copies and helping students out, eventually she got to my class towards the end of the week.

So my sister was at the other side of the class correcting maths copies while we were getting on with geography class, everybody in the class knew she was my sister. I'm normally excellent at geography, but this time the teacher fired a question at me, and I didn't know the answer, if she asked anyone else in the class it would have been no big deal, she's just make sure you knew the answer and that had been it.

What does the teacher do but gives me lines as a punishment and humiliated me in front of the class and my sister. All I could do is sit there just mind boggled that she is just picking on me for no good reason, couldn't believe she was serious, and all I wanted to do is call bull**** on her but I thought I shouldn't embarrass my sister. Then my sister being my sister, goes home and tells on me to my parents, I told them all I wasn't doing the lines because she picked on me because my sister was there and she wouldn't have done that to anyone else, essentially called her a cow for the whole night. Led to a massive argument between my folks and I because they wouldn't even hear me out or take my side. Sided with that bitch of a teacher. Hated her from that day forth. Even when I see her in public now raises my blood pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I had an absolute cnut of a teacher in 6th year. My oldest brother was a bit of a knob and gave her a hard time so she used to be particularly nasty to me. I genuinely never said or did anything to her.

One day she was really bullying me in the class and making fun of me.

I used to drive to school on a moped. I happened to see her on the way home and I just snapped so I decided to run her off the road.

Gardai were waiting for me the next morning and I got suspended but she never looked at me sideways again.

As I got older and wiser I understand that it was a stupid thing to do but I can agree with the OP. Sometimes you just get a w@nker of a person that should not be in teaching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

IME teachers dont like students who stand up for themselves. Any time I did they simply said, "Oh ONW has issues with authority and can't take correction" - it's never their fault ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

You've already gotten solid advice so far but it's up to you to choose: cry at her aggressively OR lob the gob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Have a threesome with her and her friend and then report her to the Guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

when I was teaching we would have meetings at the start of term and decide which perfectly normal, trouble free pupil we would pick on and make their life a living hell.

because clearly we had nothing else to do.

teacher picks on you?

don't flatter yourself.

you are one of 200 or so people through their room in a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

when I was teaching we would have meetings at the start of term and decide which perfectly normal, trouble free pupil we would pick on and make their life a living hell.

because clearly we had nothing else to do.

No dark sarcasm in the classroom, I hope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

In college now, and butted heads with one of the teachers. Tried talking but felt they didn't understand my situation clearly.
    So I talked to the course coordinator. who talked to the teacher.
    And we talked again, this time coming to an understanding and agreement.

There's always that one teacher you'll have a little trouble with, for the most part, talking to that teacher will solve the issue. They can explain their side of things more clearly and you can explain yours.

If that doesn't work, you talk to the year head.

But you must absolutely make sure you're not being disruptive/trouble in class. If you are, you lose all grounding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

because clearly we had nothing else to do.teacher picks on you?
    don't flatter yourself.
    you are one of 200 or so people through their room in a week.

and the christian brother teachers didn't abuse innocent trouble-free kids in their care either ?

no point denying it
    lots of teachers are cnuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Was suspended from school more times than I was in it,even though I had brains to burn, the final straw was when a teacher slammed a book down on my hands for something I didn't do,I saw red and picked up a bin and fired it at him

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

ian87 wrote: »
    Stop being a cheeky pup and do your homework.

**** you and your mentality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

When I was at school the only teacher I ever had any trouble with was my geography teacher. I had no interest at all and once even managed to give the answers in a test about one country all wrong and answered them about another country we had studied in a previous chapter.

She was always giving out to me and I couldn't wait to get into fifth year so I could give up geography. It was so bad the night before my inter cert geography exam I opened my book read the first page and closed it. I hated that subject so much.

When I got my results I was shocked to see that I got a c grade because it was my worst subject. When I was back at school next day my geography teacher called me and said she was delighted id passed and that she knew if she kept giving out to me it would be worth it.

I was shocked because at the time I thought she was giving me a hard time because she didn't like me. I was still so relieved to give up geography though:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement