Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the coolest gadget/technology you have

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

jester77 wrote: »
    Raspberry pi, it's small, cheap, silent, cheap to run and so powerful.

I've one running openVPN, nginx, wifi controller and various servers for managing my home entertainment content. Can access it from anywhere in the world for getting anything I need from my servers at home. Doesn't miss a beat.

Absolutely..... I'd be lost without access to all my banks of servers at home!

f36a86a02993461bcc1cf30af2bd63729e95a48cffd7d5593950c189a73f4ce9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

55 inch 3D samsung smart tv , its simply incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I've been looking for something like this for a while.
    That looks nice but it seems expensive.
    Can't find an app that does the same for some reason. There should be.

There is a version of it in Aldi - check the bargain thread for more details :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

A ww2 backpack radio - only decent thing I got that is worth mentioning I guess.

I've been looking for something like this for a while.
    That looks nice but it seems expensive.
    Can't find an app that does the same for some reason. There should be.

The apps do exist, but aren't nearly as good. I tried a recommended one for a while and it doesn't compare. I know it's expensive but I genuinely think it's worth every penny if you're a dark-morning-struggler, I wouldn't be without mine.
    everlast75 wrote: »
    There is a version of it in Aldi - check the bargain thread for more details :)

I know someone who has this and it was very reasonably priced, but it doesn't have the range of features you get with one of the Philips or other big brand ones. It's a 7 day alarm and has limited settings for light timing and intensity, but if it's just a basic wake up you want then it's probably all you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The PC I built for myself. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

GPS app on my smartphone

-not often I'm really impressed with tech

Non-contact voltage testers.. Great gadget

An electricians best weapon when troubleshooting

2€ from China on eBay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

I have a 1986 Biro, best thing since,,,,ehhh,,, a 1985 Biro

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

jester77 wrote: »
    Raspberry pi, it's small, cheap, silent, cheap to run and so powerful.

I've one running openVPN, nginx, wifi controller and various servers for managing my home entertainment content. Can access it from anywhere in the world for getting anything I need from my servers at home. Doesn't miss a beat.

Until it gets DeeDossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

A Cebora Prof 162 plasma cutting machine. Will cut through 40mm of any metal like a hot knife through butter. Leaves oxy acetylene cutting in the ha penny place.
    My Leatherman Supertool 300 always garners attention when it comes out and last Sunday night a €5 led pocket torch bought in Lidl was the handiest thing ever when fixing a breakdown while cutting maize at 1.15 am.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Brian2208 wrote: »
    I have a watch with a minute hand
    I've got a second hand watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Oneplus One.

Kindle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

One of those mini x speakers for plugging into your phone,beats sticking the phone in a cup to get decent sound volume from music if a few friends are out drinking in the garden on a sunny day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

One of those mini x speakers for plugging into your phone,beats sticking the phone in a cup to get decent sound volume from music if a few friends are out drinking in the garden on a sunny day

That's a clever idea. I looked that up after reading your post. Apparently, a paper cup works better than a glass or ceramic cup.

http://lifehacker.com/5912474/the-best-free-diy-smartphone-volume-boosts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

A universal remote control that can connect to any TV and change the channel, volume and power off. I used to have great craic with it in the bookies. Got it for a couple of euro on eBay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

A universal remote control that can connect to any TV and change the channel, volume and power off. I used to have great craic with it in the bookies. Got it for a couple of euro on eBay

Haha winning at life .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Haha Eoghan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The toilet!
    The water went off for 3 weeks after that massive flood in Cork City a few years ago and it gave me a totally new appreciation for the simple toilet!

Electricity, super fast fibre broadband and all my gadgets worked but without a toilet and running water we had to lock up and move out for 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Part of my car but everyone seems to think its amazing

I give you the most over engineered cup holder in the world :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Duff wrote: »
    My OnePlus One. Makes shíte of my old iPhone 5S.

Got mine today changing from a z1 won't be able to use my phone in the rain any more but other than that it looks like a great upgrade!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've had one of these babies for years, though it's been a while since I had it out ...

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

My MacBook Pro.... Worth every cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Bought an ipad2 in 2011 and it is by far my favourite piece of tech.

Also very fond of my rav4...does that count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Glad to see all the Leatherman mentions in this thread, thought I was the only one who loved them on Boards, I have a Charge TTi for years and it has basically replaced my toolbox, there's no job it cant tackle and the instant I forget it I spot 5 jobs that need a pliers, gets a lot of use in the kitchen aswell and its indestructible, no idea how the blade it still razor sharp after years of abuse:

http://www.leatherman.com/7.html

Also agree with the OnePlus One, didnt realise what an upgrade a battery that takes 2 days of use is until I got it, a 4G connection in your pocket is great aswell.

My 360 is getting on a bit now but Ive had it for years and it never died on me in all the thousands of hours its been on, did the RGH hack and stuck a terrabyte hdd in there, its got every 360 game worth playing onboard along with every emulator up to the PSOne and thousands of retro games all beautifully presented, best console ever made.

My laptop, bought in Aldi for half the price of an equivalent in PC World or online 7-8 years ago now and its still as good as the day I got it, been on for basically 14 hours a day every day since then and never gave a single issue when friends and flatmates have been through multiple pcs in that time, hate browsing on a tablet when Im at home.

My 47 inch Samsung tv + HDMI cable to the laptop, love it, it looms over you in our tiny living room, prefer watching films on that to the cinema.

Advertisement