Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

c25k total newbie to running

Options
  • 15-10-2014 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

I decided to start this for a bit of motivation and a bit of craic. I am a total newbie to running with a bit of background playing GAA and soccer.

However I have been very inactive for the past year resulting in me being 2-3 stone overweight and very unfit.

I am doing this to help me both mentally and physically. I am sick of lacking energy and I know from past experiences the feeling of elation from exercise is one I want to feel more often.

With that in mind I have downloaded an app and after 5 sessions I am looking forward to doing week 2, day 3 tomorrow. Taking it nice and easy on the runs and really enjoying it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Fair play to you getting into a new sport, and best if luck with it. After having spent a long time in a team environment, a running group or club might be a good way for you to keep motivated and have the camaraderie you had at football?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Well done on starting, that's half the battle. There are lots of graduates of the C25K program here who will cheer you on. I did it myself a few years back having never run before and like yourself I was overweight. It took me a while to get to the end of it as I was repeating weeks but I got there in the end and haven't looked back. Keep it up, I'll be looking forward to following your progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gest

Thanks for the feedback!

I am happy enough on my own at this stage but have a few friends that are into there running sowwill join them when I get up to speed.

Forgot to mention that I am off the cigarettes a month also. Just wish I done it a long time ago.

Also starting to focus on diet which I think will be the biggest thing to get right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Good luck with the log. Just be patient and you will enjoy years of running

Week 2 completed! Grand run out tonight. I really enjoy it when I get out and the motivation is high. Long may it last.

Taking it nice and slowly with my running. I am breathing nicely and the lungs are coping fine. Looking forward to doing the longer runs in week 3.

I will be starting week 3 on Monday. I have been doing my runs on Mon, Tue and Thurs. I take the bike out for a spin every Sunday morning. I think 4 days a week is enough starting off?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Gest wrote: »
    Week 2 completed! Grand run out tonight. I really enjoy it when I get out and the motivation is high. Long may it last.

Taking it nice and slowly with my running. I am breathing nicely and the lungs are coping fine. Looking forward to doing the longer runs in week 3.

I will be starting week 3 on Monday. I have been doing my runs on Mon, Tue and Thurs. I take the bike out for a spin every Sunday morning. I think 4 days a week is enough starting off?

Yeah, 4 is plenty. You will get great gains off that amount of training at the start. Best of luck! It looks like you're off to a great start.:)

15km cycle done this morning. My stamina is very poor. It will take time to build a bit of strength and endurance. Had to work hard just to get the 15km done.

Starting week 3 this week. I plan to do my runs on Mon, Tue and Thurs and finish the week off again on Sunday with a cycle.

It is slow going but I am enjoying the process and I am feeling great. Onwards and upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Gest wrote: »
    15km cycle done this morning. My stamina is very poor. It will take time to build a bit of strength and endurance. Had to work hard just to get the 15km done.

Starting week 3 this week. I plan to do my runs on Mon, Tue and Thurs and finish the week off again on Sunday with a cycle.

It is slow going but I am enjoying the process and I am feeling great. Onwards and upwards.

I found it better to have a rest day between each run when I did C25k. I just found I had more energy and the legs were less sore by having a full day of rest between runs. If it's working for you fine but if you're starting to find it a bit challenging, maybe consider having a full day of rest between each session.
    Well done for starting and staying off the smokes. Same as myself!
    Don't worry about the pace of your running sections at all until you've the programme finished. Building up the time spent on actual running should be the sole focus until you're finished the programme.
    I'll be following closely!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Ososlo wrote: »
    I found it better to have a rest day between each run when I did C25k. I just found I had more energy and the legs were less sore by having a full day of rest between runs. If it's working for you fine but if you're starting to find it a bit challenging, maybe consider having a full day of rest between each session.
    Well done for starting and staying off the smokes. Same as myself!
    Don't worry about the pace of your running sections at all until you've the programme finished. Building up the time spent on actual running should be the sole focus until you're finished the programme.
    I'll be following closely!

Ditto. I found my legs were fine on the day after a run until I started to run then I really felt it.

Also +1 on the endurance, at this stage just getting though each session should be the focus, doesn't matter how fast/slow you go, that is something you can build on once you complete the program.

Definitely food for thought there. I would like a rest day between the runs ideally but this way suits me better at the moment. I might have to look at it again though if it is not working out.

• Advertisement

Grand run out tonight before the storm hits. Started week 3 so was alternating between 90 secs and 3 mins running and walking. Could feel it in my legs on the 3 min runs but at the same time can feel a bit of strength coming into the legs as well.

I feel like I could go further than the program suggests but I am holding back in case it becomes counter productive and I get an injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Yep best to be conservative as you'll be upping the effort again next week. Remember to keep the pace handy, if you can make it out of the C25K injury free you'll be all the better for it. Good luck! :)

Week 3 Day 2 completed. To be honest I don't even know how many weeks are in this as I never looked forward on the app. Just taking it one week at a time and hopefully I can keep up with the longer runs as each progresses.

Enjoying it immensely and would recommend it to anyone that is thinking of it. It only takes an hour and a half out of your week but you feel amazing from doing it and it gives you a sense of pride in yourself.

I completed Week 3 last week so far so good. I did my usual cycle on Sunday morning but was a bit restricted for time so only got a quick 10k spin in.

I started week 4 tonight and immediately felt the difference in the longer running times. It feels like a good step up from last week. Have to say I get more satisfaction from running longer though. Still off the fags also!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great stuff. Keep plugging away at it you're doing great and defo stay off the fags! You'll find it SO much harder to run if you go back on them and it's SO not worth it!!!

Completed week 4 last friday evening without any major drama and a nice hour long cycle Sunday morning. You would definitely notice a freshness in the air!

Started week 5 tonight which involves 3x5 min runs. I took my time and got through it fine. It is definitely getting harder which is good too.

I wonder is there anything I could do supplement this running and cycling? I don't want to go over board but would like to do something to strengthen my core. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it?

Advertisement