Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mongolian Spot - need to tell creche?

Options
  • 16-10-2014 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭

Our little one will be starting creche next year and I just noticed that they have a "Mongolian spot" at the base of their spine when cleaning up a particularly delightful nappy...
    I first thought it was a bad bruise and pointed out to my wife who thought I was crazy. Our child is half Chinese and apparently most Chinese babies have these and it goes away by itself eventually. She said its been there since the child was born. Its definitely that as there is no reaction from her when I touch it and she is perfectly happy sitting up and bouncing up and down when excited, she really doesn't seem to be in any discomfort at all.
    However from reading online it seems like its not that common in the west. Are people in creches aware of this condition or should we bring a doctors note or something?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I'd recommend that you bring it to the attention of the staff from enrolment.
    Childcare staff are (supposed to be )taught to look out for any bruises, marks, rashes etc... which might indicate possible abuse,illness,allergy...

By alerting them to this from the beginning,it should mean avoiding any potential embarrassing conclusion they might otherwise make. A GP letter shouldn't be necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Just state it in the questionnaire that you'll have to fill in before he starts - they need a record of medical issues, allergies, other information about your child. Chances are they'll go through it with you, and if they don't know what it is, you can explain.

I'd definitely mention it - as far as I know, it's not common in Ireland, and from what I can see it could easily be mistaken for bruising - you don't want to create unnecessary worry! I don't see any reason NOT to mention it, if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks guys, will definitely mention it to them so.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

it's more common than you think, but inform them so there are no misunderstandings.

Advertisement