Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Way Relay 2015

Options
  • 16-10-2014 4:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when the date is normally set for this one? It's been on my list to do for a couple of years and looks like I may be in the country if it's the same weekend as last year... here's hoping!

Also who usually sets the boards team? and is it open to new applicants?!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

With such strong pre-planning skills and interest shown it could be you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

^ Exactly ^.

Bit of a disadvantage being located in Chicago, as you'll find it hard to make the postal registration on time, so you may need to get someone to proxy for you, for your team captainship!

IIRC there wasn't a boards team last year. In previous years, Slogger Jogger and Kurt Godel have stepped up to the mark, to organize the Boards team(s), but both are taking a well-deserved rest (or organizing local teams). Maybe use this thread to identify a team captain and go from there? I suspect my own club will have another team this year (Timmy?) and trying to improve on last year's third place finish, so I may be batting for the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

Bit of a disadvantage being located in Chicago, as you'll find it hard to make the postal registration on time

Quite likely to be online next year (FCFS).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I'd be very happy to be on your team Blocky ;):D

Enduro wrote: »
    Quite likely to be online next year (FCFS).

Fingers crossed for snow?

I hope this is the case as the other option is unfair to the many teams who have traditionally shown themselves to be good at running the WWR and bad at being on the internet hitting F5 at 8pm on a given Tuesday.

Online Registration is good for the organiser, but first come first served may require a re-think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

Peterx wrote: »
    Fingers crossed for snow?

I hope this is the case as the other option is unfair to the many teams who have traditionally shown themselves to be good at running the WWR and bad at being on the internet hitting F5 at 8pm on a given Tuesday.

Online Registration is good for the organiser, but first come first served may require a re-think.

If you can think of a fairer way then I'm listening. I thought of a few ideas myself, but none that wouldn't require a lot of work on behalf of either the RD or the overworked website developer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

With such strong pre-planning skills and interest shown it could be you;)
    ^ Exactly ^.

Bit of a disadvantage being located in Chicago, as you'll find it hard to make the postal registration on time, so you may need to get someone to proxy for you, for your team captainship!

IIRC there wasn't a boards team last year. In previous years, Slogger Jogger and Kurt Godel have stepped up to the mark, to organize the Boards team(s), but both are taking a well-deserved rest (or organizing local teams). Maybe use this thread to identify a team captain and go from there? I suspect my own club will have another team this year (Timmy?) and trying to improve on last year's third place finish, so I may be batting for the other side.

Thanks lads, I'm eager to do this alright, and I'd organize if I was in the vicinity too, but trying to organise recce's virtually may be a bit difficult! At least we have a starting point anyway!
    I'd be very happy to be on your team Blocky ;):D

Well If we can get a team together, you're in! Up for the organisation aspect? ;) now time to find a few more!

Maybe a tad early for that yet, just got a bit exicted last night! :D

Enduro wrote: »
    If you can think of a fairer way then I'm listening. I thought of a few ideas myself, but none that wouldn't require a lot of work on behalf of either the RD or the overworked website developer!

three options plus a new route option;

A :
    5 day window to enter by email. Assuming more teams enter than there are slots available all entries go in a hat and the 30 winners are selected.

B:

To get more complicated you could take the previous 3 years entries into account.
    Example :

Rathfarnham WSAF apply by email in 2015. As they were in the race in 2014, 2013 and 2012 they get 4 tickets to the draw.
    Boards AC apply in 2015. As they were in the race in 2013 and 2012 they get 3 tickets in the draw.
    Achill AC apply in 2015. As they were never in the race before they get 1 ticket in the draw.
    Once a team is picked their remaining entries for 2015 are removed from the draw drum.

C:
    All previous teams from 2014 are offered an entry via email/forum post.facebook. They have 5 days to accept. If any entries are remaining after the 5 days go to option A.

D:
    Change the handover locations to places with parking fields. Accept as many teams as you like. Enforce stricter cutoff times.
    10 minute penalties for non efficient carpooling?

blockic wrote: »
    Thanks lads, I'm eager to do this alright, and I'd organize if I was in the vicinity too, but trying to organise recce's virtually may be a bit difficult! At least we have a starting point anyway!

Well If we can get a team together, you're in! Up for the organisation aspect? ;) now time to find a few more!

Maybe a tad early for that yet, just got a bit exicted last night! :D

Talk to Mick or Kurt Godel for advice on how to run a team. It is possible to do a lot of the organising remotely. You could do a lot of the backround work by email/private forum and have an "enforcer" in Ireland to make sure lads do their recces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Talk to Mick or Kurt Godel for advice on how to run a team. It is possible to do a lot of the organising remotely. You could do a lot of the backround work by email/private forum and have an "enforcer" in Ireland to make sure lads do their recces.

A few thoughts:

1. Deffo need an "enforcer" who can stand up to cosseted road speedsters who are doing this for the craic: No recce=No race.

2. Logistics is the biggest headache- getting everyone from A to B (and their gear/car/bike to B and then B's gear/car/bike on to C... but B has to go home back to Dublin, any lifts available???;) Fun!)

3. Doable but difficult if the hard-assed Captain isn't "on the ground" and knows the routes well and who is suited to what leg.

4. Now that its so popular, only one team from Boards will get in, so there may be disappointed eager beavers... have to pick the fastest team, but its important to have fast subs too.

5. What a great race. I like the scramble for the postal entries, the bewildered leg X runners turning up 10 minutes late to face screaming teammates, the fact there's no mobile phone signal in Aughavannagh, the Olde Leg 7/8 Handover at the river, the "who went astray?" stories over pints back in Shillelagh:D

Mick will be along shortly, I'd say there's enough of a seed here for him to reluctantly step forward again;)

Must order some new brasso...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Having organised a team for this year's event, I can safely say the most challenging bit is the organising :D. Previously clever and erudite individuals turn into blithering idiots because "I thought you were organising everything". Getting people to do recces is also difficult (but not really totally necessary for WW vets). For transport, I borrowed a 7-seater so there was plenty of room for those who wanted to spend the whole day out there (not all of the team will as it's a long aul day).

Great day out though, hoping to be involved in some way next year.

I love the uniqueness of it all. With the current leg lengths and profiles here is my preferred deployment. Ye are welcome :p

Leg 1 : Slower Vet
    Leg 2 : Strongest Hillrunner young lad
    Leg 3 : Slower woman
    Leg 4 : Faster Vet
    Leg 5 : Young Lad
    Leg 6 : Young Lad
    Leg 7 : Best distance runner young lad
    Leg 8 : Faster Woman

(If your vets or women are quicker adjust accordingly)

Much more difficult to deploy was the John MacEnri special, a team of 5.
    3 young lads, a woman and a vet I think. So many variations.

In terms of elegance and impact on the envoronment the Gerry Lalor team of 4 in one car was fantastic (I may be biased!) two legs each, The vet takes 1+5, the hillrunner 2+6, the marathon runner 3+7 and the lady 4+8.

Leg 1: Dublin based road speedster vet
    Leg 2: strong hill runner
    Leg 3: strong hill runner female
    Leg 4: stronger hill runner female
    (So now you're chasing Rathfarnham;))
    Leg 5: uphill demon, the sort that runs to each bend as though it's the last. You know who I have in mind!
    Leg 6: someone who has recceed loads, and is a downhill suicidal lunatic.
    Leg 7: fastest marathon runner
    Leg 8: 10k vet road runner, possibly 10k track vet. Chasing a lead is important on this leg!

Yep, good selection there Kurt. Couldn't really argue with it (but I will) although I still think leg 4 is now longer than leg 8 and therefore not a ladies leg.

I also like the positive reinforcement with strong and stronger, a nice touch. Much better then my slower and faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Recces \ local knowlege is a key ingredient to a good day. A missed turn on a run or on a drive and the day can turn sour and change events radically even for the fastest teams. Example East Cork last year who had probs on account of not having being able to recce but still did very well by some superlative individual performances.

Not a bad idea to gauge interest well on advance and people can get out and run sections. The reality will always be that best laid plans will change up until the last minute, so you need a team plus a couple who don't mind being sub and they usually get called up.

It might seem obvious but hill running experience is key. The best road runners can come a cropper without the hill / technical running practice. Ideally one should do some IMRA races in advance to find your hill legs.

On the day logistics are crucial. Being in time for each leg etc

Can't say what I'm doing so far in advance. I was welcomed aboard the Tinahely Tri ship last year.

Everyone should experience this race at least once. Its special.

Yep, good selection there Kurt. Couldn't really argue with it (but I will) although I still think leg 4 is now longer than leg 8 and therefore not a ladies leg.

I also like the positive reinforcement with strong and stronger, a nice touch. Much better then my slower and faster.

Hey, its all about discussion and arguing! As things stand you are right, but leg 7/8 needs to revert back to its original changeover at the river. The extra bit now is cruel and unusual punishment for the tiring leg 7 runner, and takes the hill out of hill running for leg 8.

I've marked this bridge change over with no parking signs and maps to the designated carpark for the past few years (I've still seen cars park there however). Also I've talked to the landowners who are amenable to us using a local field for parking (possibly not necessary). DNF for any team found with cars in that area, easily enforced. But I've gone off on a tangent, thats another job for another day.

Also, don't let me stop you filling Rath teams with slow runners! That term is relative anyways with your deep and rich talent pool to draw from :)

Captain Furey has done all right for Rathfranham lately, I'd say we'll do OK with our slower runners :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great information there thanks.

Hoping it will be the same weekend as the last 3 years anyway...if so I'll be in the day before!

Looks like if I'm going to do a recce of any leg, next month will be the only time I can do it! :eek: Just as well I asked the question...I may venture up for a day trip and do one of the last 4, as done as far as Roundwood last summer on the boards trip!

Logistically how do the recces operate best? have a car at either end and then drop back I'm guessing...

blockic wrote: »
    Great information there thanks.

Hoping it will be the same weekend as the last 3 years anyway...if so I'll be in the day before!

Looks like if I'm going to do a recce of any leg, next month will be the only time I can do it! :eek: Just as well I asked the question...I may venture up for a day trip and do one of the last 4, as done as far as Roundwood last summer on the boards trip!

Logistically how do the recces operate best? have a car at either end and then drop back I'm guessing...

yep. if you are doing a recce let us know and we might get s few together to do it. That helps with logistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

It's also useful to do 2 recces of your leg if it's your first time running that leg.
    1 chaperoned and the 2nd either solo or at least leading the way.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    It's also useful to do 2 recces of your leg if it's your first time running that leg.
    1 chaperoned and the 2nd either solo or at least leading the way.

Great advice to do the second solo! I've gone on group recces before where I've first led the way, second time purposefully held back at a junction to see if its been taken in. It would amaze you how far a runner will continue, and how many strange turns they will take, before admitting they are unsure what they are doing!

Missed/wrong turns happen to the best of them, and especially when a runner is motoring, it can be hard to convince yourself to turn back.

(BB passed the "hang back and see what he does" test with flying colours though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Great advice to do the second solo! I've gone on group recces before where I've first led the way, second time purposefully held back at a junction to see if its been taken in. It would amaze you how far a runner will continue, and how many strange turns they will take, before admitting they are unsure what they are doing!

Missed/wrong turns happen to the best of them, and especially when a runner is motoring, it can be hard to convince yourself to turn back.

(BB passed the "hang back and see what he does" test with flying colours though!)

Always practice in training what to plan end up doing in a race :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Leg 6: someone who has recceed loads, and is a downhill suicidal lunatic.

Yusss ! The descent off Mucklagh towards the Mountain Meitheal shelter and the one to the Iron bridge itself make the slogs to them all worth while.

Both great places to put time on, or catch up on, a road runner.

I still thought last year people may have come on to the road on the way to Mucklagh too soon by popping out of the wood earlier than they should have.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yusss ! The descent off Mucklagh towards the Mountain Meitheal shelter and the one to the Iron bridge itself make the slogs to them all worth while.

Both great places to put time on, or catch up on, a road runner.

I still thought last year people may have come on to the road on the way to Mucklagh too soon by popping out of the wood earlier than they should have.

The WW has changed a bit around that road crossing in recent years. The year before last it was more than a kilometer of road in the middle as the WW diverted off its normal course. Last year it was back on its proper course. If people didn't adhere to the signed waymarkers they are only fooling themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, there was a diversion for tree felling 2 races ago. I think the mistake was made later on the leg, at the point in which you turn right to join the boardwalk they looked like they may have gone straight onto the road here.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

I love that event, pity I only ran only one way, and wasn't ready for the up and back :-)

Also got lost a bit ..... practice..... practice !

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

If anyone's putting a boards team together I'd love to join and help organise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

If anyone's putting a boards team together I'd love to join and help organise

Well done Rathfarnham for another great win! As ever, one of the best days of the year, great weather, loooooooads of mishap/wrong route choice/turned up late stories, a new leg 8, lots of smiling faces...

...where was Boards?!? Next year?!? Build it (for 2016) and they will come!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Kurt_Godel wrote: »

...where was Boards?!? Next year?!? Build it (for 2016) and they will come!

I'll be back next year. A great event

• Advertisement

Abhainn & KC - thems the 2 vet spots booked ;)

I ran leg 5 today on the Tinahely Tri team. Was great to get the updates on progress throughout the day. The ups and downs of teams progress or lost progress. We had a pretty good day and I think we were 8th. Some great battles along the way. Love this event.

Advertisement