Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Harvesting for showering and perhaps drinking

Options
  • 16-10-2014 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Now that the Water Charges “may” come has anyone built a rain water harvesting system that can be used for showering, washing. And perhaps drinking?

I have been looking at a few designed such as the first flush diverter filtration system to remove a lot roof dirt and first few litters of water.

A lot of information about different filters from a 4 stage filtration system (with UV light, .50 and .25 micro filters, Activated Carbon) .

TBO I think these system are a bit complicated and replacement of filters would not have a good ROI, with active carbon prices, and power required for UV light etc.

I was thinking of building a slow sand filter system to filter the water for washing and showering purposes.

First phase:
    IBC on garage roof
    First flush diverter from gutter then into IBC ( currently building out of soil pipe)
    Water take off for garden and washing machine only.

Second phase
    Slow sand filter
    Pump to attic storage tank for showering and dish waster
    Second IBC for extra storage

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have you considered the spot-load of over a ton on your garage roof, and wherever your second IBC is located? That's your first hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Ya was talking to the guy who i got the IBC from and i will have to reinforce the rafters on the roof and was also going to put some railway sleeps down so the IBC weight would be on as many rafters as possible

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

So getting steel beams to reinforce the roof and railway sleepers on the roof; the bills are starting to add up! I'd suggest going back to the drawing board and look at your basics again.

You're doing this to alleviate the cost of water charges, but are proposing to do so by throwing money at a DIY solution that may well cost the same as several years worth of water charges...

Cost it all out, including labour to see how feasible your design is first.

Have a read of this thread to see what other issues you might not have thought about and costed for.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057301033

Tabnabs wrote: »
    So getting steel beams to reinforce the roof and railway sleepers on the roof; the bills are starting to add up! I'd suggest going back to the drawing board and look at your basics again.

You're doing this to alleviate the cost of water charges, but are proposing to do so by throwing money at a DIY solution that may well cost the same as several years worth of water charges...

Cost it all out, including labour to see how feasible your design is first.

Have a read of this thread to see what other issues you might not have thought about and costed for.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057301033

No steel. just use some extra wood between rafters should be enough I think over all cost are 300 euro for first phase.

Do yourself a favour, ask the lads over in the construction forum what they would put under a fully loaded IBC on a domestic garage roof.

• Advertisement

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I've been thinking of doing this and one idea was to put a normal header tank up high (outside or preferably inside) and use a solar panal and small low voltage pond pump to pump the water up to it from the collecting IBC. I have room in an old barn so IBC's would go inside. Obviously there is a bit of common sense involved in the plumbing and all rain water would first go into a smaller settling tank (220l barrel?) to collect debris and the overflow from the settling tank would fill the IBC(s). I think it will need some trial and error with the pond pump and the header tank might be filled directly with no ball valve with an overflow back to the settling tank plus an extra larger overflow just in case above the first one. So far I'm still at the "idea" stage :) once I get the first water bill I might actually do more than think about it.

I bet the price of IBC's goes up in the next year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I've 2 IBCs one collects rain water from the gutter on the house which is connected to the downstairs toilet this has been like this for nearly 2 years only issue was it ran dry during the couple of weeks of no rain ( 3 women in the house withb bladders the size of a pea :rolleyes: ). The 2nd IBC is filled from a gutter off the shed which is used for washing the pathway after the dogs, watering plants and topping off the one at the house if needed

my3cents wrote: »
    first go into a smaller settling tank (220l barrel?) to collect debris and the overflow from the settling tank would fill the IBC(s). I think it will need some trial and error with the pond pump and the header tank might be filled directly

The first flush of water from the roof can contain amounts of bacteria from decomposed insects, bird and animal droppings and concentrated tannic acid. It may also contain sediments, water borne heavy metals and chemical residues. none of the above you would like in your tank.

Its important that the first few gallons depending on roof size are not put into the tank for storage and must be gotten rid of.

there is a device that you can buy / build that will get rid of the stuff and then the remaining flow of "Cleaner" water into the tank.
    Have a look for first flush diverter.

I am have half way through the construction of one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭65535

Install a 'first flush' system.

Ensure the IBC's are on steady ground.

You can mount them on top of each other but again make sure they are secure.

You will need to do basic filtering at the gutter with gauze or similar, then 'milking parlour' socks would remove the finer grit as your toilet flush mechanism will get damaged if the grit is any way large.

Isolate the 'town supply' and ensure you have a spring loaded one way valve/non return valve so as your IBC water does not get mixed up with the local supply.

Fit a switchover mechanism in case of drought in your IBC's

Try and get black IBC's to reduce algae growth.

Also you need an air vent to leave air in to the container to replace the water or the IBC will fold up :)

• Advertisement

By the way OP
    As you probably know
    1,000 litres of water = 1,000 Kg = 1 metric tonne

I am going to use concrete blocks on the ground as a stand for them, you do lose the gravity ability but with 2 (one on top of the other) you should get enough flow for to fill the cistern.

Sorry to post again but re-reading your original post...

It is reckoned that 48% of water useage is Toilets, Washing Machine and outside taps.

If you could sort those with rainwater and minimum filtering you would be on to a winner (in my opinion)

To use the water for showering would need 5 micron or less, then UV Lamp treatment and pumping.

If you use the rainwater without treatment you are risking legionella bacteria.

I would advise anyone to get treated water tested for all impurities for long term use.

65535 wrote: »

To use the water for showering would need 5 micron or less, then UV Lamp treatment and pumping.

If you use the rainwater without treatment you are risking legionella bacteria.

I would advise anyone to get treated water tested for all impurities for long term use.

There is some great diy filter such as slow sand filter. Have a Google at them

Advertisement