Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get an iOS Dev job

Options
  • 16-10-2014 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys,

I want to make a switch to developing apps for iOS devices, and later other platforms. Anyone got any advice?

I have a few small apps on the App Store that I am updating as I complete several online courses but all job postings are looking for seasoned professionals with a minimum of 3 years experience.

I've got two years support and operations experience which unfortunately didn't involve any development work so my knowledge comes from what I teach myself.

Can anyone suggest a list of companies in Ireland that develop for iOS. I'm applying directly to different companies but I may have missed a few. I don't care what part of the country they are located in, I'm more interested in the opportunity.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

There are a few directories of app development agencies in Ireland, but those lists wouldn't take into account the companies who develop their own apps that they release themselves (e.g. a companion app for an existing product they develop), or even companies who develop apps for their own staff to use.

Anyway - build up your portfolio and have free, fully functional apps available on the iTunes store that anyone looking at your CV can play around with. Write a blog that describes each app - the problem it's solving, the functionality, libraries used and all that stuff.

I would be surprised if this would not help interviewers overlook a lack of formal experience, provided that the apps are decent. I was hiring for a similar enough role a few years ago, and that would definitely have made me consider your CV.

Might be worth checking out the mobile app dev forum here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Often media co's prefer hard portfolios/examples and experience (even if that's from you own enterprise), to fancy courses, theory and qualifications.

Knock out a dozen simple but useful apps using the very latest Xcode6.1 utilising Swift (requires Mavericks), and you'll be a few steps ahead of most others.
    A clean FlatUI with 'Free' but with the 'InApp purchase' option seems the way to go currently, and any sales will thus be remunerated in the meantime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭walshyp

Any certification in programming will definitely help. .Net framework, C++, Java etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Conorl55

Regards to learning iOS I find the best resource to be raywenderlich.com . For building your portfolio I wouldn't see the App Store as your best bet unless your planning to build a particularly impressive app. The main problem being that there's a lot of hurdles to jump if you just want to show what you can do (approval from Apple, creating UI, names ect) I would suggest posting your projects to GitHub and use that on your cv, you'll be able to make more projects than you would if you had to jump through apples hoops the App Store isn't meant for showcasing your talents anyway.

For getting experience I would look to freelancing websites and getting contracts off those you'll be able to bridge the gap for employment experience and you'll learn what real world development is like (using source control: git, working with other developers)

iOS is a great platform for small developers because it's constantly changing so you should have no problem getting work and experience :)

Source: Two years freelancing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Joe Doe wrote: »
    Often media co's prefer hard portfolios/examples and experience (even if that's from you own enterprise), to fancy courses, theory and qualifications.

Knock out a dozen simple but useful apps using the very latest Xcode6.1 utilising Swift (requires Mavericks), and you'll be a few steps ahead of most others.
    A clean FlatUI with 'Free' but with the 'InApp purchase' option seems the way to go currently, and any sales will thus be remunerated in the meantime.

If looking for jobs today it's best to learn objective C.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

If looking for jobs today it's best to learn objective C.

Indeed Swift on Xcode is largely designed based on and to work in tangent with Obj-C.

https://developer.apple.com/swift/
    Swift is an innovative new programming language for iOS and OS X with concise yet expressive syntax that produces lightning-fast apps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Joe Doe wrote: »
    Indeed Swift on Xcode is largely designed based on and to work in tangent with Obj-C.

https://developer.apple.com/swift/

Yes but it's not very common in the enterprise yet. And they haven't even locked down the language. In any interview he will have to know Obj C and Swift will be a "nice to have".

Advertisement