Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly lunch in Kilkenny

Options
  • 16-10-2014 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

I'm just back from another disappointing lunch in Kilkenny - slow service, very expensive food and they overcharged me for the second time in 2 weeks.

So I'm looking for somewhere new to have lunch. I only have 30 mins so it has to be in the city centre. I don't like sandwiches so somewhere that has a good selection of soup or light style meals would be good.

Places I've already tried over the last year include:

• Left Bank - very small menu selection
    • Kilkenny bookshop café - lovely but always a queue
    • Hibernian - find the interior too dark
    • Lemongrass - lovely, one of my favourites but couldn't afford to eat there every day and it's a little bit too far away.
    • New café opposite the left bank - food selection doesn't suit
    • Ormond hotel - another favourite but would like a change
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

Shimla- Dean St. Indian Restaurants. Clean, Cheap and plenty of space at lunch.
    Delicious food (i.m.o) Phone in order before hand if time is limited. Try the Onion Bhajis for starters, and Korma for main. Will come to about a tenner, with tea/coffee.

Lotus(Previously Emerald Gardens)-High st. Chinese restaurant. Again very nice food and reasonable. Try the chicken satay as mains with their lovely chips.

Marble city(Owned by Langtons I think) High st.- Very nice food. Good menu. Steak is always excellent and the fish is usually tasty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mefynn

Zuni in Patrick st have some lovely new addittions to their lunch menu and reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Nice cafe upstairs in Winstons also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

toe_knee wrote: »
    Nice cafe upstairs in Winstons also

What street is this on? I'm not very familiar with Kilkenny.

Its on High Street. Its beside Bank of Ireland. Winstons is a clothes shop but on the top floor it has a really nice Cafe. In St Marys Cathedral there is another cafe which is very good too.

What part of town are you working in? Might make it easier to suggest places

• Advertisement

Its on High Street. Its beside Bank of Ireland. Winstons is a clothes shop but on the top floor it has a really nice Cafe. In St Marys Cathedral there is another cafe which is very good too.

What part of town are you working in? Might make it easier to suggest places

Near Patrick's St.

Rafter Dempseys on Friary Street do a nice soup and sambo too

Rafter Dempseys on Friary Street do a nice soup and sambo too

Great thanks. Lots of suggestions to get me through the winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I'd second the upstairs cafe in Winstons, brilliant lunch spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Pembroke hotel-upper Patrick st.

Eat-Friary st.

Zuni as mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I've always found Kytlers Inn to do good food. From about 12 noon for lunch and serve until bout 9pm as well if your ever looking for something on the hoof.

A basic menu with a nice choice and always hot.

Advertisement