Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Phone Line

Options
  • 16-10-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭

Im changing broadband provider shortly, from a satellite solution to fibre.

However, with the satellite solution, this was also including a home phone (thru the satellite)

My new package is broadband only, to get a phone would be an extra tenner per month and we dont use it that much, only for incoming calls.

Does anyone know of a solution whereby we could keep our landline number, and receive calls over the broadband?

This might not be an option, but thought Id ask

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Look up VOIP providers. I use Blueface.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

FSL wrote: »
    Look up VOIP providers. I use Blueface.

And can I use my existing number with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

Slipshaney wrote: »
    And can I use my existing number with them?

You would have to port your number from existing provider to Blueface who are you with ask them or email blueface and ask them

If your existing number is portable then you can port it to Blueface

I was with Eircom and went to Blueface a few years ago couldnt be happier Eircom was costing me a fortune and I still have the same Landline number as I had with Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭waalaa

Vomino is probably best for you. Get the cheapest monthly plan (€10 I think), go through the porting process with vomino to keep your phone number, get a €10 top up, cancel the monthly plan after a month and you will be able to receive calls and make calls until your credit runs out. They will also send you a free ATA.

The quality wouldn't be the greatest but if you just want to keep your number and receive calls I don't know any cheaper. Blueface will charge you to port your number and also have a monthly charge. Goldfish would be another alternative to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I am with goldfish, no 12 month contract,

The standard line rental is €3.99.
    I pay €5.52 a month for the line rental (they can port across your existing eircom number)

For €5.52 i get my existing irish line and a uk landline as well which is really handy for family in the uk to call me cheap.

I then use a cheaper provider (irishvoip,ie) to make outgoing calls,

I have freevoipdeal.com on my mobile and i will switch to freevoipdeal.com once my credit runs out with irishvoip.ie

But it is hard going spending ten euro, i signed up with irishvoip in mid august, and have spent €4.12 on calls to date, my eircom bill was usually around €50, went as high as €100 a month.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. Great suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I think you can find a service to whom you can port your number, and they will allow incoming calls .... it costs (if memory serves correctly) a little over €3 per month for that.

You can then set up a completely separate provider through which to make outgoing calls.

For this I use VoipDeal.
    The arrangement with them is that I buy credit of €10 (minimum) and immediately get 180 days of free landline calls to most English speaking jurisdictions as well as lots of others.

The purchased credit is used to pay for calls to mobile phones .... and also used (if not already spent) to pay for landline calls outside of the 'free days' as well as calls to jurisdictions not included in the 'free' calls.

It does take a little bit of management (not a lot once set up), but it is extremely cost effective.

On the other hand, if you did not care about your present landline number, you can get a non-geographical number in the form of
    076-1234567

It should be noted that those phoning such numbers from the likes of an Eircom phone (and probably others) pay full rate for the call .... it is not included in Eircom 'packages'.

Of course if you are not interested in saving costs for others and can dispense with your old number, then this is more cost effective, as the 076 number should be free of cost.

Thanks JohnBoy - Im not too interested in outgoing calls, but would like to keep my existing number for incoming calls, so I presume that I would need to use the option of someone like Goldfish for this (think its around 3.99 per month)

Not sure how easy it will be to port the number across though, as the current landline number is coming in thru satellite, as opposed to a phone line
    I think you can find a service to whom you can port your number, and they will allow incoming calls .... it costs (if memory serves correctly) a little over €3 per month for that.

You can then set up a completely separate provider through which to make outgoing calls.

For this I use VoipDeal.
    The arrangement with them is that I buy credit of €10 (minimum) and immediately get 180 days of free landline calls to most English speaking jurisdictions as well as lots of others.

The purchased credit is used to pay for calls to mobile phones .... and also used (if not already spent) to pay for landline calls outside of the 'free days' as well as calls to jurisdictions not included in the 'free' calls.

It does take a little bit of management (not a lot once set up), but it is extremely cost effective.

On the other hand, if you did not care about your present landline number, you can get a non-geographical number in the form of
    076-1234567

It should be noted that those phoning such numbers from the likes of an Eircom phone (and probably others) pay full rate for the call .... it is not included in Eircom 'packages'.

Of course if you are not interested in saving costs for others and can dispense with your old number, then this is more cost effective, as the 076 number should be free of cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Slipshaney wrote: »
    Thanks JohnBoy - Im not too interested in outgoing calls, but would like to keep my existing number for incoming calls, so I presume that I would need to use the option of someone like Goldfish for this (think its around 3.99 per month)

Not sure how easy it will be to port the number across though, as the current landline number is coming in thru satellite, as opposed to a phone line

Give them a call 01 5547888

Porting from eircom they contact and sort everything out for you.

You will also need to get either an adaptor for your existing phone or a voip phone, or software on a computer / mobile.

Thanks again - I think my existing phone should have an adapter to suit...
    eeepaulo wrote: »
    Give them a call 01 5547888

Porting from eircom they contact and sort everything out for you.

You will also need to get either an adaptor for your existing phone or a voip phone, or software on a computer / mobile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Goldfish would be one of the cheapest if you want just incoming calls.

There's a list of providers here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=250586

Try to stay with Irish providers. Quality of calls is probably better and you will be able to port your number.

Advertisement