Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate

• 16-10-2014 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭

Was looking around to fight Command and Conquer and found this. Remember it being awesome so installed it but the fùcker keeps crashing on me :(

Wondering why it isn't available on Steam or Gog. Wondering also why W40K didnt repeat this formula.... Dawn of War looks a bit too frantic for me... Prefer a more turn based approach.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Cause a turn-based game eats into their core business of ripping people off with imbalanced armies and ever increasing model prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Dawn of War 1 and Dawn of War 2 are two different games.

Dawn of War 1 relies on base building and the power of the units themselves to win.

In Dawn of War 2, there's practically no base building but the game heavily relies on tactics to win. Even the most weak of units can take out an unprepared squad of stronger units through tactics & cover.

Dawn of War 1 you can relax a little easier when playing but Dawn of War 2 you need to be constantly in focus as anything can happen, which in a way makes it more frantic as you said. I would at the least give Dawn of War 1 a try if you haven't already.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Never heard of this game, looks interesting. If it does pop up on gog some day I might pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Slitherine are going to be releasing a turn based (as far as I know) 40k game at some point. They have the licence for it at least. I don't know if it's anything like Chaos Gate though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Well there is Space Hulk but the less said about that the better. Bloody awful game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

nesf wrote: »
    Slitherine are going to be releasing a turn based (as far as I know) 40k game at some point. They have the licence for it at least. I don't know if it's anything like Chaos Gate though.

Is Slitherine the guys from Deadliest Warrior?

Angron wrote: »
    Is Slitherine the guys from Deadliest Warrior?

I don't know. They merged with Matrix Games a good few years ago, you can see some of their stuff here: http://www.matrixgames.com/ (they've very old school turn based focused and their pricing can be a bit silly)

Probably their best selling Steam Game is Panzer Corps that they published.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Well there is Space Hulk but the less said about that the better. Bloody awful game.

Yea, very disappointing, I was so looking forward to it.

I mean for the most part, they made a direct translation of the board game, but it's horribly slow and clunky and I'd have happily played a digital version of a board game (and I frequently do with games like Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, even the flawed Blood Bowl game), but this was the worst of both worlds rather than the best.

Space Hulk was a nice idea, albeit poorly executed. Anyway, that Slitherine game is about the Second War for Armageddon, so I'm interested in how that's gonna pan out. Hopefully Orks keep the unique character they have in other games. Loved Gorgutz from WA and Dark Crusade, Bluddflagg from Retribution, and Grimmskull from Space Marine.

If you want a taste of what the Slitherine 40k game will feel like, have a look at (the rather excellent) Panzer Corps. It looks to be directly lifting the core game ideas from it. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, Panzer Corps is a decent "beers and pretzels" wargame.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Just seen this advertised on GOG now at last, its about 9€ though, while Final Liberation is €5.50 :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Just seen this advertised on GOG now at last, its about 9€ though, while Final Liberation is €5.50 :/

Cool! Thanks for the heads up! Will definitely purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Don't forget shadow of the horned rat as well. I am going to be getting all of these on the weekend. Great games in their day.

I never got into Shadow of the Horned Rat, I tried it on emulator but it never grabbed me the way the others did. I am a huge fan of final liberation, it's a real pity it never got any expansions as they would have been very easy to do

Sad to say , there's a lot of problems with Chaos Gate being reported, be warned before you buy

I couldnt resist and bought, took me a while to get the graphics right, but it's working no bother for me! Great game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

It is an absolute crime how overlooked and oft-forgotten that Final Lib. is against about every other GW title. I still have the disc copy, but I'll get the GOG version to run without needing to run a Hyper-V emulator. So much fun; especially liberating super-heavy tanks and titans for use in future deployments.
    Maguined wrote: »
    Don't forget shadow of the horned rat as well. I am going to be getting all of these on the weekend. Great games in their day.

Shadow of the Horned Rat, and Dark Omen after it never really grabbed me quite so much, although Mark of Chaos I thouroughly enjoyed. Shame I can't for the life of me get it to run on an emulator though :-/

I also don't get the hate for Space Hulk. Whilst I've never played the original, I liked the tactical shooter version, even today. It's brooding and dark, and the lack of time in which to carry out marine orders (just like the real-deal board game) added a sense of urgency and slight panic to it when the action got intense. The new Full-Control versions are worth a look too; Space Hulk, and Space Hulk:Ascension. Both are excellent although Space Hulk is the more faithful representation of the board-game rules, and designed to run on a multitude of machines so there isn't as much animations as in Ascension, but Ascension offers more a la differing chapters, things like cyclone missile launchers, brood-lords, psyhics, etc and feels more like the original Space Hulk board game with the expansion packs and additional expanded mission/rule books cookeed into it, along with an rpg element for squad members. SH:Ascension was also designed specifically for PC so has better/more animations too which you can really see in hand-to-hand combat.

Advertisement