Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairs

Options
  • 16-10-2014 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Quick question:

I moved into rented accommodation in Dublin two months ago. Before I moved in I asked that the gas boiler be serviced because it hadn't been serviced in 8 years. I have since moved in and this still hasn't been done despite constant reminders to the letting agent who is in no way helpful and make it seem like my request is completely unreasonable. The boiler has started to spontaneously leak water over the floor at random times now. It's my first rental so I'm not up to scratch on procedure, but is my request unreasonable and any advice on how to deal with a difficult letting agent and actually get this done? I know that the landlord has 100s of properties throughout the city so I'm tempted to just pay for the service myself at this stage just to get it done.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Quick question:

I moved into rented accommodation two months ago. Before I moved in I asked that the gas boiler be serviced because it hadn't been serviced in 8 years. I have since moved in and this still hasn't been done despite constant reminders to the letting agent who is in no way helpful and make it seem like my request is completely unreasonable. The boiler has started to spontaneously leak water over the floor at random times now. It's my first rental so I'm not up to scratch on procedure, but is my request unreasonable and any advice on how to deal with a difficult letting agent and actually get this done? Tempted to just pay for the service myself at this stage.

Thanks for reading

Record the leaking on your phone and go to the estate agent.

Tell them to call the landlord or a plumber while you are in the office.

If they refuse to then you will leave the leak to damage the accommodation.

type up a letter to say you were in the office and you showed them the issue.

Get them to sign it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Write a letter outlining the issue, attach a reasonable date at which it should be rectified (one to two weeks), send as registered post. If it's not fixed in the time specified, send a letter saying that you are having it fixed yourself and will send them the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Contact your local enviro health office and let them know that the boiler is unsafe.

You could have it repaired/serviced and take the money out of next months rent but have receipts and record everything.

It would be unsafe to use boiler as you said 8 years and I would recommend getting a carbon monoxide alarm pronto. this would be a very important addition

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Retro Police

Thanks for all the suggestions, very helpful. I've bought the carbon monoxide alarm and will type up a letter. Good to know I'm not being unreasonable!

Advertisement