Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Do I Escape My Filter Bubble?

Options
  • 16-10-2014 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Every time I go onto Youtube it shows me the same crappy video types

I'm just so bored of it now

I've tried deleting cookies and web history and all that but it still comes back the same

Is it true google have but their own cookie secretly onto every computer to keep track of people?

A few months ago I formatted my hard drive, that was the only time I got an original view of Youtube

Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

UCDCritic wrote: »
    Is it true google have but their own cookie secretly onto every computer to keep track of people?
    No, that's complete nonsense.

Google have lots of ways of identifying you. First, and most obvious thing: Are you logged in to a Google and/or Youtube account?

When you say you're being shown the same videos, where is this? Could be you're just seeing the most popular videos for new users, therefore they're always going to be of the same type

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

UCDCritic wrote: »

Yes. Under EU ePrivacy Directive they have to tell you if they use cookies and for what purposes. You can disable cookies in your browser so Google cannot target ads at you. They use cookies to save your password, targeted ads among other things. So for example, if you are searching law all the time, or send an email through Gmail to a client about a case, Google use cookies to target ads to solicitors for example. You can stop them from placing cookies on your PC and you can opt-out of targeted ads.

You have to access Google in order for the cookie to be stored and you can always reject them.

All advertising companies, or nearly all, use cookies. Some websites use cookies for statistical purposes.

Have you tried clearing your browser settings (cookies etc)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

28064212 wrote: »
    Google have lots of ways of identifying you. First, and most obvious thing: Are you logged in to a Google and/or Youtube account?

When you say you're being shown the same videos, where is this? Could be you're just seeing the most popular videos for new users, therefore they're always going to be of the same type

When I first switch on my computer I'm not logged into anything

It's not the most popular video from new users, it's just the same type. For example fail videos where people are falling down. I watch those some times but then that's all they show me. I also watch documentaries but they never feed to me on the home page.

I watched a documentary about a guy called Luka Magnotta who recorded himself murdering cats and then a human being, and now all I get is videos about serial killers, I don't want to watch that crap, one is enough.

I just want to wipe the slate clean.
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Yes. Under EU ePrivacy Directive they have to tell you if they use cookies and for what purposes. You can disable cookies in your browser so Google cannot target ads at you. They use cookies to save your password, targeted ads among other things. So for example, if you are searching law all the time, or send an email through Gmail to a client about a case, Google use cookies to target ads to solicitors for example. You can stop them from placing cookies on your PC and you can opt-out of targeted ads.

You have to access Google in order for the cookie to be stored and you can always reject them.

All advertising companies, or nearly all, use cookies. Some websites use cookies for statistical purposes.

Have you tried clearing your browser settings (cookies etc)?

Yes I've done that, I've cleared all the history and stuff like that but it still comes back the same.

If I use a computer in an internet cafe the videos are always different that to what I get on the homepage of Youtube even when I'm logged out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

People still use Internet cafes? Do they use phone boxes too?!?

endacl wrote: »

hahaha yes

Internet cafes have the phones boxes, people still use them

They are mostly around the city center where migrants live

Some people just don't want a long term contract

You see people mostly taking to their family and friends on skype

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

You say you've cleared your browser history, cookies etc. Have you checked if your Youtube history (i.e. the list of previously watched videos listed on the site itself) has been erased?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Have you tried browsing in incognito browsing mode

Custardpi wrote: »
    You say you've cleared your browser history, cookies etc. Have you checked if your Youtube history (i.e. the list of previously watched videos listed on the site itself) has been erased?
    hardCopy wrote: »
    Have you tried browsing in incognito browsing mode

I'll try those things

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Are you using chrome? chrome tracks your usage on all google's services 'for your convenience'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

GarIT wrote: »
    Are you using chrome? chrome tracks your usage on all google's services 'for your convenience'

If so, but you like it, try Iron. Made from the same code, but doesn't call back to mammy google - http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Have you tried Ccleaner(free version) https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

• Registered Users Posts: 83,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

endacl wrote: »

Bill-and-Teds-Excellent-Adventure.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

install the ghostery extension

Advertisement