Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

washing machine warranty x2 query

Options
  • 16-10-2014 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I purchased a Siemens washing machine. Top of the range.
    Stupidly thinking I was paying for quality/long lasting etc.
    (2 year warranty.)

The drum went on it after 1 yr 11 months.
    We got the washing machine replaced on warranty.
    So thats great.

Now, the drum on the new washing machine is going after 1.5 years.

What is the situation here ?
    Do I have a new warranty with my replacement washing machine (and should therefore be able to ask Siemens to replace again).

OR

After nearly 3.5 years from my original purchase do i only have the original warranty - which has now expired ?

Just want to know my position before getting involved with Siemens customer care once more <sigh> !

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

A two-year warranty is generally reckoned as two years from new: the clock doesn't restart from the date of a repair.

But you have a separate right to expect a reasonable product life. In my view, 3.5 years is not reasonable for a washing machine if it is supposedly top of the range and it has been subject to normal use. That last bit is significant: if you do the full kit for a rugby squad in addition to the laundry for a family of 6, you can't reasonably expect the same product lifespan as a retired couple might experience.

Bring your complaint and your claim to the retailers. They are the ones who got your money, and they are the ones responsible to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

Thanks.

Yeah I think I may be struggling with the retailer - they will do anything to say not their problem - especially after 3+ years of original purchase.

Just normal family of 4 use of the washing machine - not doing anything crazy with it at all.

Hopefully Siemens will look at the date of replacement washing machine as being the start of a new warranty. They were very reasonable/efficient/courteous etc last time. We'll see.

No harm trying your luck with Siemens, but do bear in mind that they have no legal obligation to you. The retailer, on the other hand, does.

Very few retailers would give ground to you easily in a case like this. That does not mean they are right. You might have to push hard, and you could always consider the Small Claims Court. Perhaps even mentioning that you would take them to the SCC would persuade them to take your claim seriously.

Do a Google search on the machine make & model. If you learn that there is a known problem with the drum, that should be very helpful to you in dealing with either Siemens or the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

My Bosch washing machine had a bearings failure this year about two months out of warranty. As a goodwill gesture they gave me about 70% discount on a replacement equivalent model.

gamblor101 wrote: »
    My Bosch washing machine had a bearings failure this year about two months out of warranty. As a goodwill gesture they gave me about 70% discount on a replacement equivalent model.
    Who are "they" - Bosch or the retailer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

Who are "they" - Bosch or the retailer?

The Bosch "Service Agent" in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

Just a follow up....

I didn't go near the retailer I bought the w/m from, as last time they just gave me the Siemens number and told me to be off.

I phoned Siemens - they believed that the last replacement had been under a 5 year warranty - so I was still covered under that same 5 year warranty. (It was definitely a 2 year warranty - but I wasn't showing them that particular document).

Anyway, this time they chose to fix the bearings of the replacement machine (rather than replace the whole washing machine) and I am still covered under the '5 year warranty' - no new clock starts.

Siemens customer service - a pleasure to deal with (efficient, courteous, prompt, chatty etc - and I spoke to a few people in the process).

Siemens products - not probably as good as you think their reputation might lead you to believe, given the evidence and trouble I have had. (with other products also.)

Thanks again for responses to my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

You probably got unlucky englander could happen any brand. Siemens are as good as they're lead to believe though there isn't a manufacturer in the world with a 100% success rate

Advertisement