Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin House Prices 2015

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What are sinn fein / iRA policies on housing looking likely they will be in with a shout of winning next election

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    Not sure if this angle has been covered, too much rubbish posting between posters over the last 30 pages to try find out.

Everyone is predicting a slump because of the new cb rules, has anyone explored the other side of the coin and instead stability as opposed to a large fall?

- biggest one being less incentives for negative equity owners to sell as they will be left with a larger carry over loan and no home so instead hang in there and at least have a home,
    - fire sales have already happened,
    - reasonable supply is still a long long way away and could be further away if prices fall back to 2011 as less profit for developers - at the moment many developers are building 5 or 6 houses at a time as they get a feel for demand,
    - rents continue to rise further encouraging people away from it,
    - renting in Ireland is soul destroying, queues at viewings where you have to sell yourself to arrogant estate agents, then hand over highly personal information to them knowing full well this information will not be treated privately not to mention the tortuous living from 12 mth lease to 12 mth lease with no security beyond it lifestyle,
    - unemployment continues to fall especially in dublin putting further pressure on rent,
    - more emigrants returning,
    - people who have sat back over the last few mths because of the cb announcement(anticipating a slowdown) who have the 20% deposit who are causing a cooling if the market will return to the market in q1 15.

Obviously there are 20 arguments predicting a large price fall but surely the above could be enough to prevent the predicted double dip, even if it's artificial in nature due to continued lack of supply.

The simplest ones to look at are:
    1. The market rally being sustained by "mattress money" as cash buyers swarm in to scoop up "bargains". (see also point 3 below)
    2. Affordability now is almost as bad as it was at the top of the bubble.
    3. Supply is restricted due to foreclosure stuffing. Over 8% of properties in Dublin were vacant on the last census night (only 3 short years ago). There is no shortage of property in Dublin. What there is, is a shortage of available property and this is entirely driven by policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

What are sinn fein / iRA policies on housing looking likely they will be in with a shout of winning next election

Their track record is burning "big houses".

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭CartHorse

lima wrote: »
    Haha wait, I'm pretty sure my parents put me through school and I have more than paid off my degree.

Yeah I'd like to see you do my engineering degree! Funny thing is I get paid the same as my colleague who has a phd so you unfortunately you are wrong.

Sorry I have no respect for anyone who contributed to what this place is like today, it is a mess. You guys kinda failed.

I don't want to take anyone's house I said we have to work harder to get for e.g a 5br house that someone did back then.

I can rightly complain when the older generation who caused this mess can sit pretty in their big houses that are worth multiples of what they paid for, while they use cash to outbid young people on properties. It shouldn't be this way.

Sucks that you had it rough with no telephone or whatever but fact is I will have to work harder than you to get a large house and it will not rise to ten times in value like many did.

Breathtaking entitlement mentality.

Well aren't you great with your "engineering degree" whining on here since 2006.

You're still stuck renting while those who have their own home are living in them; getting on with their lives and enjoying their lives.

Best of luck with everything. I hope you get your 5 bedroom house one day.

Some day you might grown up and realise you're an adult.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭CartHorse

Their policy is that nobody "should" earn more than 35k and everyone "should" live in communal dwellings funding by "the government".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It'll never happen. The protest voters won't go ahead with it. They would be signing their own P45s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

CartHorse wrote: »
    Breathtaking entitlement mentality.

Well aren't you great with your "engineering degree" whining on here since 2006.

You're still stuck renting while those who have their own home are living in them; getting on with their lives and enjoying their lives.

Best of luck with everything. I hope you get your 5 bedroom house one day.

Some day you might grown up and realise you're an adult.

I would have liked to point out to this person that while I was 'stuck' renting I missed a major property bust and saved myself having been stuck with 250k in property debt, all the while paying rent of no more than e300 per month over what my mortgage interest payments would have been, Also I saved significantly and have six-figure savings. Also I cycle to work in 8min and get on with and enjoy my life in leafy D6.

ted1 wrote: »
    It'll never happen. The protest voters won't go ahead with it. They would be signing their own P45s

Wont surprise me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

As I said I did look it up before. His claim is that there was one phone per housing estate which is tosh. Why would eircom have even come into existence were that the case. I'll find the link I was looking for soon.

Eicrom came into existence when the state were privatising Telecom Eireann.
    At that stage it was late 90s and you could probably get a landline in weeks.
    Eircell, only started in 1986, had major coverage and was biggest mobile provider in the country by the time Eircom was privatised.
    The poster, problably like me, is talking about 70s or early 80s, not the bloody 90s.
    There was a quantum leap in infrastructure, landline availability, landline installation times by the time Eircom came along.
    And yes the Ericsson Axe name has been around in some guise since mid 70s.
    The question about adults being lucky in the 80's applies to those who could afford houses. Not the emigrants. Or the bottom 20%. They did well with house price increases and inflation eating their debt.

They also paid very high interest rates, paid high taxes until the 90s and lived in some very uncertain political and economic times, but shure who cares about that. :rolleyes:
    Haha wait, I'm pretty sure my parents put me through school and I have more than paid off my degree.

Yeah I'd like to see you do my engineering degree! Funny thing is I get paid the same as my colleague who has a phd so you unfortunately you are wrong.

You weren't the first person to do an engineering degree and you won't be the last.
    You do know that some of the older people you are complaining about did engineering degrees as well, or were theirs easier to get than yours ?
    Sorry I have no respect for anyone who contributed to what this place is like today, it is a mess. You guys kinda failed.

I don't want to take anyone's house I said we have to work harder to get for e.g a 5br house that someone did back then.

I can rightly complain when the older generation who caused this mess can sit pretty in their big houses that are worth multiples of what they paid for, while they use cash to outbid young people on properties. It shouldn't be this way.

Sucks that you had it rough with no telephone or whatever but fact is I will have to work harder than you to get a large house and it will not rise to ten times in value like many did.

Again myopic
    A lot of the people that voted for bertie were young voters, who were in college or just coming out.
    They believed the bullcr** that he had somehow created the great celtic tiger on his own.
    And before you go off on one, I can drag out posts from election 2007 where college students or just graduated were some of his most vehement supporters over in the politics forums.
    So it wasn't just the old crowd who cheerled the property bubble.

A lot of older voters didn't vote for bertie.
    A lot of recent graduates in early to mid 2000s gleefully jumped on board the property ladder/gravy train to riches.

Some of those graduates might have been classmates of yours since you were away during the boom, so are you on here having a go at them or is that for next week.

The blame for this does not rest with one entire single generation and the ones carrying the can isn't one entire single generation either.

Anyway this is getting tiresome and off point.

Ulimately I believe this country is headed for troubling times.
    Property is overpriced in certain areas, sadly the areas most people want to live.
    Affordability is askew.
    There is still huge level of properties that should be repossessed.
    Nothing appears to be happening on that front, unless you count the New Beginnings fairy plan.

And we are heading for troubling political times.
    If the current political polls carry someway forward to the next election, and a big chunk of Irish voters vote in the shinners together with associated magic money tree believers, then we are in for very uncertain political and economic times.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

ted1 wrote: »

Never discount the stupidity of people, especially the Irish electorate.
    I know a lot of poeple who won't vote sinn fein, but will vote independent.
    And a lot of those independents believe in magic money trees, expect bond markets to lend to us indifinetly even if the money is being p**sed against a wall.

The ultimate outcome is a hung Dáil and no strong government.
    I can see short lived governments and quick sucessive elections.

ASnd if sinn fein were to implement some of their economic policies, espeically the ones they used to favour but have quietly put out of view, then this country will be having the troika back in town.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Let's not get into politics or inflammatory posts.

I would have liked to point out to this person that while I was 'stuck' renting I missed a major property bust and saved myself having been stuck with 250k in property debt, all the while paying rent of no more than e300 per month over what my mortgage interest payments would have been, Also I saved significantly and have six-figure savings. Also I cycle to work in 8min and get on with and enjoy my life in leafy D6.

From having read your posts before i dont think you will ever know when to buy. Renting has alot of avantages also so either way its all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

jmayo wrote: »

political uncertainty will no doubt effect the economy and in turn property which looks increasingly more likely every day...

its one hell of a ride :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

jmayo wrote: »
    Never discount the stupidity of people, especially the Irish electorate.
    I know a lot of poeple who won't vote sinn fein, but will vote independent.
    And a lot of those independents believe in magic money trees, expect bond markets to lend to us indifinetly even if the money is being p**sed against a wall.

ASnd if sinn fein were to implement some of their economic policies, espeically the ones they used to favour but have quietly put out of view, then this country will be having the troika back in town.
    Is this Govt strong or competent? The troika are still calling most of the shots here. Do you believe for example the the Irish central bank dreamed up the 20% deposit requirement suddenly after years of doing nothing! No it didn't, that policy is being imposed upon it through the troika and especially the EU. They do not want a situation whereby irish politicians (none of them Sinn Fein by the way) come calling to Europe, cap in hand again saying we've only gone and made a mess of things again.

I remember well that twat Bertie Aherne standing up in the dail proclaiming FF were the party of prudent public finance management to a round of 'hear hear' from gombeen backbenchers.

What you forget is that so called orthodox politics and numbskull politicians have brought this country to it knees, it's people to the pit of despair with moral on the floor and anger at an all time high.

None of it as a result of Sinn Fein policies.

But you keep on believing what you do if it comforts you.

Advertisement