Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin House Prices 2015

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

mariaalice wrote: »
    I am not saying the recession wasn't bad in the 1980's, however they way some posters go on you would think no one had a job and everyone was living on the edge of starvation.

It could be one of those 'I walked to school 5 miles in the snow' things, but yeah, we were all mostly poor in the 80's, scraping together enough money to feed a family was not unheard of. We RARELY went out to dinner, and cinema was like twice a year max, usually as a treat on someone's birthday. There was little to no disposable income.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Huge private estates were built in all the areas I mentioned including Tallaght. in the 1970's and 1980's :)

I am not saying the recession wasn't bad in the 1980's, however they way some posters go on you would think no one had a job and everyone was living on the edge of starvation.

The vast majority of housing built was social housing. This was true throughout the history of the State. Up til the 1990s where it almost shuddered to a halt, and instead reliance was placed on RA and placing pressure on existing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

MouseTail wrote: »
    The vast majority of housing built was social housing. This was true throughout the history of the State. Up til the 1990s where it almost shuddered to a halt, and instead reliance was placed on RA and placing pressure on existing stock.

Before the 1960's yes, but by the 1970's an 80's enormous amounts of private housing was built in want was then considered outer areas of Dublin, Tallaght and Rathfarnham ( which was considered up the mountains by most people then.

I was first married and had children in the 1980's so I lived through it.

It could be one of those 'I walked to school 5 miles in the snow' things, but yeah, we were all mostly poor in the 80's, scraping together enough money to feed a family was not unheard of. We RARELY went out to dinner, and cinema was like twice a year max, usually as a treat on someone's birthday. There was little to no disposable income.

That's a recession???? I would not consider that poor in anyway but maybe that's just me.

Every estate in Swords, Rathfarnham, Clonsilla, ect have only been build in the past 20 years?

• Advertisement

Every estate in Swords, Rathfarnham, Clonsilla, ect have only been build in the past 20 years?
    of course not, but owner occupation doubled since the 70s. It really wasn't that common before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Yes but the key here is social housing, while true that not everyone was on the dole, there also wasn't a huge financial, IT and Pharma industry in Dublin. Most jobs were as you said earlier, civil service or trades, the professional classes were doctors, accountants, and solicitors.

These days the professional classes are cast a lot further than those, especially with new sectors like IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭euroboom13

Ritchi wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but if you can't afford to buy with low rates, you won't be able to buy with high rates?

If people are outbidding you with these low rates, they'll still be able to afford more than you when rates go up, and outbid you then.

You are missing something.

Everyone is trying to afford a house now because repayments on a mortgage are relatively low, when repayments are a long way above rent ,everybody prefers to rent, and people with large deposite`s buy in a buyers market, where auctioneers have plenty of houses and no buyers (like 80`s/90s)(real BARGAIN TIME /not cXXk on the block, bXlls in and all GAMBLE TIME we have now!)

What we have now is a sellers market, few houses and plenty of buyers!(and most buyers are cash strapped borrowers)

Buying when borrowing is expensive ,gets you more value for hard earn cash.Buying in low rates ,competes your hard earned cash with leveraged fe#kless buyers.( I for one value savings and wont dilute them by entering a competition with borrowed money, step back and wait)

Good Luck

euroboom13 wrote: »
    You are missing something.

Everyone is trying to afford a house now because repayments on a mortgage are relatively low, when repayments are a long way above rent ,everybody prefers to rent, and people with large deposite`s buy in a buyers market, where auctioneers have plenty of houses and no buyers (like 80`s/90s)(real BARGAIN TIME /not cXXk on the block, bXlls in and all GAMBLE TIME we have now!)

What we have now is a sellers market, few houses and plenty of buyers!(and most buyers are cash strapped borrowers)

Buying when borrowing is expensive ,gets you more value for hard earn cash.Buying in low rates ,competes your hard earned cash with leveraged fe#kless buyers.( I for one value savings and wont dilute them by entering a competition with borrowed money, step back and wait)

Good Luck

Its not gambling you are buying a home not an investment, some people are on tracker mortgage's of less that 1% but anyone who has purchased in the last 5 to 6 year wont be and will be on interest rates around 4%, while that's low we are in for years of low interest rates. I think anyone buying their first house should stop trying to second guess the market and just buy a house they can afford and can get a mortgage for, however If I was buying a house I would hold off for a while, there is too much uncertainty around at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Ritchi wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but if you can't afford to buy with low rates, you won't be able to buy with high rates?

If people are outbidding you with these low rates, they'll still be able to afford more than you when rates go up, and outbid you then.

Who is they?

P.S. AIB announced a variable rate cut today.

• Advertisement

Its not gambling you are buying a home not an investment, some people are on tracker mortgage's of less that 1% but anyone who has purchased in the last 5 to 6 year wont be and will be on interest rates around 4%, while that's low we are in for years of low interest rates. I think anyone buying their first house should stop trying to second guess the market and just buy a house they can afford and can get a mortgage for, however If I was buying a house I would hold off for a while, there is too much uncertainty around at the moment.

Buying anything with borrowed money is an investment.(I wish a home was an exception but sadly its not, while foolish lending policies are allowed)

Believing we are in for a long period of low rates ,is wishful at best.

Waiting is prudent now while new lending rules come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Well food was way different back in the 70s/80s from what I remember.
    There were no fancy restaurants, actually scrub that they were shag all restuarants of any sort, especially once you left the likes of Dublin.
    Michellin only did tyres back then. :D
    There were none of this fancy food like all these versions of pastas, humuses, quinoa, all these exotic fruits like passion fruit, physalis, lychees, etc.

Good old bacon and cabbage, blackpudding, rashers, spuds, rice was usually eaten after dinner as a desert, and the only pasta known to most Irish was spaghetti.
    Fruit consisted of apples, oranges, pears, bananas, strawberries and the ones you picked.
    Wine to many back then was blue, not red, white, Bordeuax, Chilean, shiraz, or merlot.

Coffee for most was either Maxwell house or Nescafe.
    Oh and it came form a jar.

How did we ever manage some of the younger folk are probably wondering?

Well you see what you never had, you never miss.
    And when you have shag all to spend your money on, what little you have, it is is easier to save.

BTW does anyone know if you can still get Blue nun.
    Ok nostagia is kicking in. :(
    The Spider wrote: »
    Yes but the key here is social housing, while true that not everyone was on the dole, there also wasn't a huge financial, IT and Pharma industry in Dublin. Most jobs were as you said earlier, civil service or trades, the professional classes were doctors, accountants, and solicitors.

Nowadays social housing seems to equate to long term unemployed, the lazy having never worked and the gurriers.
    Years ago a lot of the people in state owned housing were actually low income working class who were actually working.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ffactj

jmayo wrote: »
    Well food was way different back in the 70s/80s from what I remember.
    There were no fancy restaurants, actually scrub that they were shag all restuarants of any sort, especially once you left the likes of Dublin.
    Michellin only did tyres back then. :D
    There were none of this fancy food like all these versions of pastas, humuses, quinoa, all these exotic fruits like passion fruit, physalis, lychees, etc.

Good old bacon and cabbage, blackpudding, rashers, spuds, rice was usually eaten after dinner as a desert, and the only pasta known to most Irish was spaghetti.
    Fruit consisted of apples, oranges, pears, bananas, strawberries and the ones you picked.
    Wine to many back then was blue, not red, white, Bordeuax, Chilean, shiraz, or merlot.

Coffee for most was either Maxwell house or Nescafe.
    Oh and it came form a jar.

How did we ever manage some of the younger folk are probably wondering?

Well you see what you never had, you never miss.
    And when you have shag all to spend your money on, what little you have, it is is easier to save.

BTW does anyone know if you can still get Blue nun.
    Ok nostagia is kicking in. :(

Nowadays social housing seems to equate to long term unemployed, the lazy having never worked and the gurriers.
    Years ago a lot of the people in state owned housing were actually low income working class who were actually working.

Blue nun, and baby cham at christmas :)
    While we are on it
    I remember we grew up in a council estate in the 80s. Maybe one person in the estate had a phone. The rest had to use the public phone box at the end of the street.
    We used to wait at the phone box in the freezing cold at 8pm on a Friday night for my dad to ring and speak to us for about a minute, which probably cost about half a days wages. And sometimes that would clash with another familys dad calling them and the phone would be engaged when my dad tried to call, so we would miss talking to him til 8pm the next friday.
    He was in germany because there were no jobs here and would spend 9 months there and three at home. None of this flying home whenever you feel like it. It was a world away.
    Then back to our house with no central heating, just a super ser in one room.
    Friday was bath night. The immersion would be put on and the same water used to bath us all.
    And for one week a year we would go on our holidays to Bray to my aunts house, and then they would come to our house for their holidays the week after. It use to take us 3 hours to get to Bray from Kimmage.

How anyone can say life is harder now or they have to work harder than people from years gone by is beyond me. Its insulting to those who did scrap hard just for a simple life.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ted1 wrote: »
    He'll never buy, ( in ireland) he has being on here giving out for years,
    Less personalisation please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

ffactj wrote: »
    While we are on it
    I remember we grew up in a council estate in the 80s. Maybe one person in the estate had a phone. The rest had to use the public phone box at the end of the street.
    We used to wait at the phone box in the freezing cold at 8pm on a Friday night for my dad to ring and speak to us for about a minute, which probably cost about half a days wages. And sometimes that would clash with another familys dad calling them and the phone would be engaged when my dad tried to call, so we would miss talking to him til 8pm the next friday.
    He was in germany because there were no jobs here and would spend 9 months there and three at home. None of this flying home whenever you feel like it. It was a world away.
    Friday was bath night. The immersion would be put on and the same water used to bath us all.
    And for one week a year we would go on our holidays to Bray to my aunts house, and then they would come to our house for their holidays the week after. It use to take us 3 hours to get to Bray from Kimmage.

How anyone can say life is harder now or they have to work harder than people from years gone by is beyond me. Its insulting to those who did scrap hard just for a simple life.

It is harder now to afford a house in Clontarf, for example, than in the 1970's or 1980's. Even with all our 'modern opportunities', that is a fact.

Some people are living in mansions they bought while they had normal civil service jobs in the 1970's that even doctors can't afford now.

All the waffle about 'de rare aul times' is just noise to my point really.

You just don't get it. And I agree, you will never buy.

If we had high rates now and higher percentage deposits ,we would see a market similar to that of the 80`s.(maybe not quite as severe )

And the truth is higher rates are coming and so is higher deposit requirements.
    People whom think this wont effect house prices are codding them selves and people that don`t think its coming (higher interest/higher deposit/smaller multiple of earnings) are delusional.(rates have no more downward movement, only up, rates up /property down)

Be prepared, deleverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

ffactj wrote: »
    While we are on it

That sounds massively exaggerated to me. I mean it might have been a very poor housing estate but I think most people had phones. I remember looking this up when someone else , or you, said the same before and if wasn't true.

Also house ownership has been high on Ireland for decades.

lima wrote: »
    It is harder now to afford a house in Clontarf, for example, than in the 1970's or 1980's. Even with all our 'modern opportunities', that is a fact.

Some people are living in mansions they bought while they had normal civil service jobs in the 1970's that even doctors can't afford now.

All the waffle about 'de rare aul times' is just noise to my point really.

That technically true, but without being rude so what we are not going back, modern society is different, I would argue we lived in a very unequal society in the past some people did very well but it was at the expense of others.

Sources of wealth and patterning of employment are different.

If you are saying that a civil engineer working for the council could in the `1970's buy a house in Stillorgan or Clontarf and they couldn't afford to buy there today, that's true but it come across as a bit self-indulgent and entitled.

Lima ,I hear your pain but I will say those that bought and held in the eighties were forward thinkers, not just luck ,it took hard work to hold them even at low prices.

What you are seeing about affordability is 100% correct and its definitely the wrong time to be greedy, and greed is the only thing at work here.

If people were less concerned about "missing out" and "I need a family home" and looked at it purely on merit, they wouldn't get into bidding wars.

This forum will go very quite shortly and lima , you will get your bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

According to Wikipedia the population of the greater Dublin area was 1.29 million in 1981 and 1.8 million in 2011 census. I suppose with makes sense that the extra half a million spread out.

I know my grandad moved to Marino as a child, presumably around the 1930s, and thought they were practically moving to the country. I'd say some people in the 80s felt the same about moving to newly built estates in some parts of Dublin, that are now well established and desirable areas to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Sala wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia the population of the greater Dublin area was 1.29 million in 1981 and 1.8 million in 2011 census. I suppose with makes sense that the extra half a million spread out.

I know my grandad moved to Marino as a child, presumably around the 1930s, and thought they were practically moving to the country. I'd say some people in the 80s felt the same about moving to newly built estates in some parts of Dublin, that are now well established and desirable areas to live.
    8.2% of property units in Dublin that could be accessed on census night in 2011 were empty. Sure there's demand but the scarcity is entirely artificial.
    If we had high rates now and higher percentage deposits ,we would see a market similar to that of the 80`s.(maybe not quite as severe )

People whom think this wont effect house prices are codding them selves and people that don`t think its coming (higher interest/higher deposit/smaller multiple of earnings) are delusional.(rates have no more downward movement, only up, rates up /property down)

Be prepared, deleverage.

When though? Any increase in the rates could totally bork the global economy.

Sala wrote: »

That an excellent point at one time Stillorgan, Walkinstown, and Baldoyle would have been see as on the edge of the countryside.

To me the big thing that has changed and I put it down to the internet and instant information plus a massive rise in expectations about life in general is this obsession with 'rough' areas. To me it comes across as a belief that if you live in one area you will be bathed in a golden light and if you live in another area you will be forever domed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

That sounds massively exaggerated to me. I mean it might have been a very poor housing estate but I think most people had phones. I remember looking this up when someone else , or you, said the same before and if wasn't true.

Actually the poster is right and you are wrong.
    You can look it up all you like, but some of us actually lived through it.

Until the creation of Telecom Eireann out of the old P&T, which was actually civil service Dept of Posts and Telegraphs, the phone system in Ireland was archaic.
    Telecom Eireann was founded in 1984.

Up until the early 80s (80/81/82), when new Alcatel and Ericsson digital exchanges were implemented, the old system was analogue and relied on some old dear putting your call through.

It took years, yes years, to actually get a phone line.
    So the poster is not wrong when they state that the vast majority of people did not have a phone and people relied on public phone boxes.

I wonder does anyone of our older posters recall the phone box in Conemara that didn't accept money and everyone travelled for miles (I mean 20/30/40 miles) to ring their relatives in the states ?

Actually the more I look at what people had in the 70s and 80s, nevermind earlier still, the less fecking sympathy I have for some now grumbling and complaining about how people back then somehow didn't have to work as hard and were somehow on the pigs back on the way to massive property wealth. :mad:

I am not allowed discuss …

When though? Any increase in the rates could totally bork the global economy.[/QUOTE]

That's a myth, we were 4% higher only a few years ago ,well after the boom was over.

You just don't get it. And I agree, you will never buy.

You can stop personalising this, as my business is none of your business.

Until the creation of Telecom Eireann out of the old P&T, which was actually civil service Dept of Posts and Telegraphs, the phone system in Ireland was archaic.

Up until the early 80s (80/81/82), when new Alcatel and Ericsson digital exchanges were implemented, the old system was analogue and relied on some old dear putting your call through.

So the poster is not wrong when they state that the vast majority of people did not have a phone and people relied on public phone boxes.

I wonder does anyone of our older posters recall the phone box in Conemara that didn't accept money and everyone travelled for miles (I mean 20/30/40 miles) to ring their relatives in the states ?

Actually the more I look at what people had in the 70s and 80s, nevermind earlier still, the less fecking sympathy I have for some now grumbling and complaining about how people back then somehow didn't have to work as hard and were somehow on the pigs back on the way to massive property wealth. :mad:

I'd probably go through 'what you went through' to be able to afford a huge house nowadays.

Someone trying to buy a house back then had problems, yes.

Someone buying the same house now has bigger problems, however they have mobile phones and cheaper airfares and skype.

AXE is that old? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

Be prepared, deleverage.

When exactly do you see rates rising and to what level?

What rate will make it unafforable to service a mortgage?

When the BoE rate was 5.75% you could still get mortages for just above it. The base rate is now 0.5%.

I agree that rates have nowhere lower to go, although technically there is a possibility of slightly low and prolonged plateauing, but timing is everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

Lima ,I hear your pain but I will say those that bought and held in the eighties were forward thinkers, not just luck ,it took hard work to hold them even at low prices.

What you are seeing about affordability is 100% correct and its definitely the wrong time to be greedy, and greed is the only thing at work here.

If people were less concerned about "missing out" and "I need a family home" and looked at it purely on merit, they wouldn't get into bidding wars.

This forum will go very quite shortly and lima , you will get your bargain.

Give me an example of a house - what its asking price is now and what you think it should be worth.

Advertisement