Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a Scam or is it genuine?

Options
  • 16-10-2014 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

I got a phonecall this morning from a man saying he was from Eircom - he knew my name and address and said that my computer had viruses on it and was causing congestion on the broadband in the area. he wanted me to go on my computer to fix it - I said I would need to check this out. Is this a scam? 

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Red Hare wrote: »
    I got a phonecall this morning from a man saying he was from Eircom - he knew my name and address and said that my computer had viruses on it and was causing congestion on the broadband in the area. he wanted me to go on my computer to fix it - I said I would need to check this out. Is this a scam? 

Scam

You didn't follow he's instructions did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sounds like a scam alright. Not sure how they'd know what's on your computer and that whole 'talk you through the process' thing throws up all kinds of red lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Scam

You didn't follow he's instructions did you?
    No I didn't  - thanks! 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Hi Red Hare

This sounds very much like a scam to me. This is one of the more prevalent scams at the moment and should not be entertained. You can if you wish report this to the Malicious Calls bureau on 1800 689 689.

Please note, our Technical Support department do not make outbound calls to Customers except in the occasional case where a customer has recently logged an issue for investigation and which is still open prompting the call.

thanks
    Colm

Advertisement