Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gripe water now avaliable

Options
  • 16-10-2014 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just thought id post incase ye aren't already aware... Gripe water is now avaliable in pharmacies in the south. It's now licenced to sell. Now it comes in at a pretty penny... Nearly €10 compared to the £2.99 up North! But if you're desperate can be lifesaver to have a bottle in the cupboard. :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Just to pre-warn people, I'm based here in the UK and there have been a few cases now of babies near choking on the stuff. We gave it very carefully and slowly with a syringe to Baby Merkin at three or four weeks and the poor little sausage nearly choked and we nearly DIED :( Spoke to health visitor afterwards and she said it's happened to too many people she knows of (even Googling it will show you how many!) so while it is a good remedy for colic it's not one we were willing to try again as he reacted so violently to it! So if you do decide to use it, please please be very careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Merkin wrote: »
    Just to pre-warn people, I'm based here in the UK and there have been a few cases now of babies near choking on the stuff. We gave it very carefully and slowly with a syringe to Baby Merkin at three or four weeks and the poor little sausage nearly choked and we nearly DIED :( Spoke to health visitor afterwards and she said it's happened to too many people she knows of (even Googling it will show you how many!) so while it is a good remedy for colic it's not one we were willing to try again as he reacted so violently to it! So if you do decide to use it, please please be very careful.

How are they choking on it merkin? Surely it's the same as any other liquid? I know we used to syringe L with it and it was awful... I thought she aspirated a couple times! But the relief she got was immediate. When we started giving a bottle we put it in the bottle so it was a lot less traumatic! Thank god. But how would giving it be different to having to give another form of liquid? Is it a specific ingredient or something?

I honestly don't know Sligo, I just know it was terrifying as he went purple and wheezed and nearly aspirated so I'm not sure why it's specific to gripe water. Funny that your little one reacted to it too....,well not remotely funny but you know what I mean! I doubt it would be licenced here if it was considered unsafe but it does smell quite strongly and I wonder if that's what causes the reaction/upset to it maybe? He's such a chilled and happy little chap but it upset him greatly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I don't think they're choking on the liquid so much as inhaling the smell and it closing their airways a little (explained ever so badly :(). Have you ever smelled white spirits or petrol up close and it would almost burn your nose hairs? The gripe I think gives that effect to a baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I always used a spoon as it's much more controlled. My youngest nearly lived on it for a few weeks.
    I usually used chemist direct or Amazon in conjunction with Parcel Motel when not available here.
    Works out a lot cheaper than the current price.

• Advertisement

I always found it a lifesaver when I could put it in the bottle. Brought her wind up straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

It's recommended from one month. When we tried it initially at that age (by spoon and syringe) she couldn't manage it at all. She would gulp it and gag, cough etc. But then after a few weeks it became much easier. We give it on a spoon and once she smells/tastes it, she can suck it off the spoon herself at her own pace so no risk of choking thankfully. So I definitely would be wary for tiny babies but after a few months I reckon it should be very safe to use!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

yellow hen wrote: »
    I don't think they're choking on the liquid so much as inhaling the smell and it closing their airways a little (explained ever so badly :(). Have you ever smelled white spirits or petrol up close and it would almost burn your nose hairs? The gripe I think gives that effect to a baby.

Just remembered when I started using it, my mam said 'be careful, it can take their breath away'. That's what I'm trying to describe... It's almost pungent. Those who've used it will know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I read about this on another site and they said it is the way you give it. It should be given at the side of the mouth. And the choking could happen with the vit d drops either if you stick the syringe in the middle of mouth

We were very careful to give it at the side so that wasn't the issue in his case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hi all, just thought id post incase ye aren't already aware... Gripe water is now avaliable in pharmacies in the south. It's now licenced to sell. Now it comes in at a pretty penny... Nearly €10 compared to the £2.99 up North! But if you're desperate can be lifesaver to have a bottle in the cupboard. :-)
    No way would I pay €10 a bottle! I bought a heap of it in my local €1.50 shop for...you guessed it, €1.50 a bottle. A lot of pound shops in the north sell it for £1 a bottle. If we don't have a trip up north planned I buy in bulk from express chemist. After exchange rate and parcel motel it works out about €5 a bottle. Disgraceful charging €10 for it, there is no way they can justify charging that, not when I can buy retail AND ship from the UK for less.

No way would I pay €10 a bottle! I bought a heap of it in my local €1.50 shop for...you guessed it, €1.50 a bottle. A lot of pound shops in the north sell it for £1 a bottle. If we don't have a trip up north planned I buy in bulk from express chemist. After exchange rate and parcel motel it works out about €5 a bottle. Disgraceful charging €10 for it, there is no way they can justify charging that, not when I can buy retail AND ship from the UK for less.

I agree. The only reason I posted was to let people know it is now avaliable. It's their perogative whether they want to pay that much for it or not. I was stick for some yesterday and saw it in the chemist. Was shocked at the price but said id but it as a once off as I was stuck and didn't have any. Personally id prefer pay the 10 quid then be up all hours of the night with a windy baby waiting till the following day for a delivery from the north :). I'm sure it may possibly be cheaper in different chemists tho...

I agree. The only reason I posted was to let people know it is now avaliable. It's their perogative whether they want to pay that much for it or not. I was stick for some yesterday and saw it in the chemist. Was shocked at the price but said id but it as a once off as I was stuck and didn't have any. Personally id prefer pay the 10 quid then be up all hours of the night with a windy baby waiting till the following day for a delivery from the north :). I'm sure it may possibly be cheaper in different chemists tho...

But that's exactly my point - they know that a parent in need and with limited options will cough up. To rub it inon items like this is totally taking advantage. Theres a girl in meath street market selling it for €10 a bottle too and quite frankly its just ripping the piss. It's for this very reason that I always have a stock! It would kill me to have to hand over €10,and allow them to take advantage of a baby's discomfort. Having said that I totally agree that when your baby is in pain you'll pay anything to help....but I'd still be cursing them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Gosh, we never had trouble giving our little lady gripe water so I'd never have known to give it at the side of the mouth, I'll be doing that in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Now, if only Karvol came back on the market, like would be good.

Now, if only Karvol came back on the market, like would be good.

Oh so true....have a very snuffly little lady here, its 3.30am and olbas oil and calpol vapoplug just aren't cutting it. If you could still get karvol we'd all have been asleep long ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Karvol supplier

Use parcel motel and away you go. I've bought other stiff from them before without issue

Karvol supplier

Use parcel motel and away you go. I've bought other stiff from them before without issue

Out of stock as you will find with all previous suppliers of karvol as it's no longer being made.

Karvol supplier

Out of stock as you will find with all previous suppliers of karvol as it's no longer being made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I have one capsule of karvol left.... How much will ye giv me for it! ;)

Actually, I think I can mix something similar to karvol up. Had a look at the ingredients list for it.

Pumilio Pine Oil
    Terpineol (another pine oil -lilac type fragrance)
    Levomenthol (menthol)
    Pine Oil Sylvestris (yet another pine oil)
    Thymol (Thyme oil)

Chlorobutanol (preservative)

You can buy pine oil and menthol
    http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=496&prodid=117
    I have thyme out the back, I can stick some of that in there too, and see how we go. I'll skip the chlorobutanol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

pwurple wrote: »
    I have one capsule of karvol left.... How much will ye giv me for it! ;)

There's someone on Ebay selling a pack for €53 & €25 p&p :eek:

It's good stuff but not that good :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

I have been getting Grip Water in a local chemist since I had my little boy in March - Only costs a few euro :confused:

LH2013 wrote: »
    I have been getting Grip Water in a local chemist since I had my little boy in March - Only costs a few euro :confused:

Maybe I just went to a rip off chemist! Lol. They told me they'd only had it in for 3 weeks. But perhaps others had it longer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

Maybe I just went to a rip off chemist! Lol. They told me they'd only had it in for 3 weeks. But perhaps others had it longer :)
    I think just had an old supply ha ha ha it was all very under the counter ;)

Advertisement