Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 disk drive not reading and ejecting sound

Options
  • 16-10-2014 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys.

Been having trouble with the disk drive on my PS3. Whenever I try to put a game in it, it will whurr away like its trying to read, stop, start again, stop etc until eventually it makes a noise like the game is going to eject but the game doesn't come out. Anyone else ever have this problem?

I've seen solutions online like tilting the PS3 until it reads it but as soon as I put it back normally after it has read the disk, I got an (FFFFFFFF) error code. The PS3 has had a period of inactivity of about 3 months in a dusty room which is probably the source of my problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭budman9

Is the disc icon (right top corner on TV) spinning all time? Probably dusted laser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Try hoovering all the vents and the disc drive.

Otherwise you have a busted blue ray lens/drive.

It's not good idea to hoover drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Happens to me sometimes, it reads it eventually after I eject the disc and try again. I've a feeling mine is on the way out, listening to it I know it's not running well.

budman9 wrote: »
    It's not good idea to hoover drive.

Why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I had the exact same problem. Firstly, do DVDs and CDs work? If they do it means you need to clean/change your blu ray disc reader.

This can involve a bit of work but can be done.
    How to fix PS3 error 80010514 and clean PlayStati…: http://t.co/R5BnhmRFso

I hope this helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

GerB40 wrote: »
    I had the exact same problem. Firstly, do DVDs and CDs work? If they do it means you need to clean/change your blu ray disc reader.

This can involve a bit of work but can be done.
    How to fix PS3 error 80010514 and clean PlayStati…: http://t.co/R5BnhmRFso

I hope this helps..

Yeah CD's are working fine so it must be dust on the blu-ray lens. Seems fiddly enough getting at the lens and seeing as I am in no way handy it could be a problem :p. I'll get all the tools together and maybe give it a go. It's not working as it is so may as well have a crack at it. Thanks a million for the help.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Why not?
    It will not help.

budman9 wrote: »
    It will not help.

Right, not very informative answers are they?

He needs a replacement lens for his Blu ray drive.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Support/PS3-plays-CD-DVD-but-not-BD-or-Games/td-p/40121355

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Just a little update. So I took apart the Playstation and cleaned the Blu-Ray lens and its seems to be reading games fine now. As mine was a 250GB slim version I followed this video.

In addition to needing a star head screwdriver, you also need as security bit to open three security screws on the back of the Playstation. A set of these can be bought in Woodies for €27. Pricey but I would have had to paid that and more for someone to look at it so I'm not too disappointed.

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/draper-expert-33-piece-security-bit-set/19983/1.0.16.1#.VFUIuPmsUsw

Thanks to everyone in this thread for advice. I'm a happy gamer once again :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement