Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sauce for chicken wings

• 16-10-2014 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭

The OH wants chicken wings tomorrow, why not I guess? But I want to make it nice what's a good dipping sauce for them. I remember hearing of a blue cheese and sour cream one? Any ideas on what this one is or if there is a nicer alternative?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The blue cheese sauce is more for the celery or carrot to accompany the wings. The Idea being to counteract the hot sauce on the wings.

For me personally, it it nothing short of heresy to dip chicken wings into the blue cheese sauce. :eek:

The usual accompaniments for wings are the likes of Franks Hot Sauce or similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭peteroregan

gufc21 wrote: »
    The OH wants chicken wings tomorrow, why not I guess? But I want to make it nice what's a good dipping sauce for them. I remember hearing of a blue cheese and sour cream one? Any ideas on what this one is or if there is a nicer alternative?
    If you're on about a dip for wings which are already coated in hot sauce then you won't go wrong with blue cheese, it is amazing.
    If you're just cooking plain wings and want a sauce to pour over them or to dip them into then as the other poster mentioned Franks buffalo wing hot sauce is as good as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Another vote for franks!!! Worth making the blue cheese dip and getting the celery in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Butter and Franks sauce (aka buffalo wings). Any other answer is wrong.
    The butter/buffalo flavoured franks sauce is sub par, and shocking lazy considering how simply it is to make properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭peteroregan

Mellor wrote: »
    Butter and Franks sauce (aka buffalo wings). Any other answer is wrong.
    The butter/buffalo flavoured franks sauce is sub par, and shocking lazy considering how simply it is to make properly.

Enlighten us please.

• Advertisement

Enlighten us please.
    I'm not sure what you are asking for tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

I'm not sure what you are asking for tbh.

Probably looking for the recipe for making them properly (and simply).......

Probably looking for the recipe for making them properly (and simply).......

Franks and butter, that's the recipe really.
    Or to be exact, melted butter and Franks.

Mix together in what every ratio you prefer. Some like 50:50, others like more of one of the other.
    Simple stuff and delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

Another yea for blue cheese sauce.

One third good mayo like hellmans, two thirds creme freshe, two drops small amount of Worcester sauce (go easy on this) and blue cheese the amount depends on how much you like the taste. Blitz all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

melt butter in a saucepan and add an equal amount of Frank's. Cook wings, put in saucepan. Try not to eat directly from saucepan as it's so damned delicious. And I dip them in blue cheese sauce, hell yes.

• Advertisement

Cream freeeeche.

How are we cooking the wings prior to adding them to the sauce. Bake
    Deep fry
    Boil
    ??

How are we cooking the wings prior to adding them to the sauce. Bake
    Deep fry
    Boil
    ??

Deep fry, or if you'd rather bake them.
    I've BBQ them befroe too. Don't boil them though, you want crispy skin, not soggy rubber.

Deep fry.

Deep fry, or if you'd rather bake them.
    I've BBQ them befroe too. Don't boil them though, you want crispy skin, not soggy rubber.

Ah yes indeed! Soggy rubber, franks and butter..... Might not be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭Guffy

So you don't bake them in sauce? (No fryer)

Roast them in the oven, then add sauce afterwards.

Roast them in the oven, then add sauce afterwards.

Would you put them back in with sauce on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Is there any decent blue cheese sauce /dip that one can find in tescos or the like? #lazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

What sort of blue cheese are people using for the dip? The good ones like Roquefort & Cashel Blue can be a bit expensive.

• Advertisement

I made one last couple of weeks ago, they're actually quite easy to make. 5 min job. Would be as cheap to buy one though.

gufc21 wrote: »
    Would you put them back in with sauce on them?
    No need to tbh.
    You want the wings dry and crispy, and add the sauce just before eating.

Cook wings, Melt butter, mix with franks, pour on wings.
    Anything past that is personal variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

dont forget heaps of salt to crispy the skin up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The secret to crisping up the skin is cooking them at a low temp, then cooling them in the fridge or freezer then deep frying at a high temp. Similar to doing triple cooked chips. More work but beats any straight cook method by mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I actually boil my wings :eek: I tried lot's of variations and found that baking resulted in quite tough dry meat whereas a quick boil cooks the meat tender and juicy and then a bake (from cold) on max crisps up the skin nicely but keeps the meat moist. Best of both worlds. I couldn't ever go the deep fry route. Deep fat frying is banned in my house!!

Here's my recipe

Boil the chicken wings for 10 minutes with a good amount of salt. Drain and let cool/dry. Bake for 35 mins on max oven temp until skin is crispy. (Boiling actually cooks them, baking is just to crisp the skin) . Once backed toss in Franks sauce blended with butter.

For completeness here's my blue cheese recipe

1/2 a 200ml tub of sour cream
    1/2 a 220 gram wedge of blue cheese Roquefort, or Gorgonzola
    3 desert spoons of mayonnaise (This means using the spoon use use for corn flakes etc and scooping out a good "heaped" spoonful from the jar)
    2 desert spoons of lemon juice.
    1 large clove garlic, minced.

Combine in a blender and pulse until smooth. Cover and chill for up to a week.

I find the sauce needs 30-45 minutes in the fridge to be at it's best for dipping the wings into.

Man I'm hungry now!!!

BenEadir wrote: »
    I couldn't ever go the deep fry route. Deep fat frying is banned in my house!!
    Wings are a fatty cut to begin with. They you are tossing then in butter. And dipping then is liberal mix of sour cream, cheese and mayo.
    I honestly don't think deep frying makes a significant difference with wings tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Yeah, tis kind of like jumping from a 1000 ft high building as opposed to a 500 ft one. Either way the result isn't going to be healthy.

BenEadir wrote: »
    I actually boil my wings :eek: I tried lot's of variations and found that baking resulted in quite tough dry meat whereas a quick boil cooks the meat tender and juicy and then a bake (from cold) on max crisps up the skin nicely but keeps the meat moist. Best of both worlds. I couldn't ever go the deep fry route. Deep fat frying is banned in my house!!

Here's my recipe

Boil the chicken wings for 10 minutes with a good amount of salt. Drain and let cool/dry. Bake for 35 mins on max oven temp until skin is crispy. (Boiling actually cooks them, baking is just to crisp the skin) . Once backed toss in Franks sauce blended with butter.

For completeness here's my blue cheese recipe

1/2 a 200ml tub of sour cream
    1/2 a 220 gram wedge of blue cheese Roquefort, or Gorgonzola
    3 desert spoons of mayonnaise (This means using the spoon use use for corn flakes etc and scooping out a good "heaped" spoonful from the jar)
    2 desert spoons of lemon juice.
    1 large clove garlic, minced.

Combine in a blender and pulse until smooth. Cover and chill for up to a week.

I find the sauce needs 30-45 minutes in the fridge to be at it's best for dipping the wings into.

Man I'm hungry now!!!

I have bribed them before and found them to be really juicy on the inside and crisp on the outside as a results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Custardpi wrote: »
    Yeah, tis kind of like jumping from a 1000 ft high building as opposed to a 500 ft one. Either way the result isn't going to be healthy.

A but sure if it's a small bit less bad that's good, right? :p

• Advertisement

While on appetisers, anyone familiar with mozzarella sticks and the best way to prepare them, have tried baking them but the cheese always seems to burst out of the casing , hence a gooey mess.Tried not leaving them in as long but then they're soggy/not crispy.... Any other methods ??

Advertisement